PDA

View Full Version : Fast Healing

Squider
2010-03-16, 10:37 PM
Are there any easy ways to get it? I'm an 18th level Melee Character without easy party access to healing, and it's starting to drag. Complex or specific builds are pretty much out what with already being this level, I'm mostly looking for a magic item, or not too hard to qualify for feat.

I'm not looking for a lot, just enough to heal up between fights, as generally i'm good for one or two, but after that it gets difficult.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-16, 10:38 PM
What is your build?

Eclipse
2010-03-16, 10:53 PM
It might not be quite what you're looking for, but the ring of regeneration (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rings.htm#regeneration) let's you heal your level in HP each hour. It only works for damage taken while the ring is worn, but so long as you keep it on, that shouldn't be a problem. It's 90,000 GP though, don't know what your budget is.

A pearly white ioun stone (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/wondrousItems.htm#iounStones) gives 1 HP per hour with the same restrictions as the ring, but doesn't take up a ring slot. I think you're likely looking for more than 1 HP an hour though.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, hopefully it helps.

Squider
2010-03-16, 10:57 PM
A hilariously complex monster.

If you want the full build i suppose i can post it, but it will take short while. I'm playing a red dragon, of the Dragon Magazine wherein they printed metallic dragons in 20 level classes, but I jumped from that ship after 1st level, wanting only the dragon "chassis". I've been jumping through vaguely melee based classes since, with a small share of LA (through templates) as well. The only real thing to note is that my BAB is sitting at a lowly +5 but my strength is sitting at 40 and accounts for most of my melee prowess, thanks to War Hulk. My Con is at a 28, i believe, as that may matter for fast healing.

Like I said however it's a little late for anything that is build dependent.

The game is heavily house ruled, but my DM is pretty good for letting most anything from a splat book fly, as long as it doesn't significantly derail my power level outside that of the rest of the party.

Jacob Orlove
2010-03-16, 10:57 PM
It's 90,000 GP though, don't know what your budget is.
For that kind of money, you could buy 120 wands of Lesser Vigor, and heal up 66,000 hp. At 18 hp/hour the ring would take just over five months to catch up, assuming you took at least 18 damage every hour.

FishAreWet
2010-03-16, 10:59 PM
Fast Healing
Fast Healing via Classes
Warshaper 4, ecl 8 (CW)
Nature's Warrior 1 (CW), Wild Growth ability
Soldier of Light (D&D) 7th
Wild Reaper 16th (DrMg 311)
Saingehirn 5th (WoTC Mind's Eye)
Ranger 9, Shifter racial substitution level (+Con trait), Races of Eberron
Scion of Tem-Et-Nu 3, ecl 8, Sandstorm, fast healing 5 only when you begin your turn in or adjacent to river
Dragon Shaman, fast healing aura, PHB 2, affects allies
Incandescent Champion 2, ecl 8, Magic of Incarnum - very limited, but can share it with allies at level 9
Celestial Mystic 10, ecl 17, Book of Exalted Deeds, fast healing 2 to all within 10'
Master of Many Forms 7, ecl 12, Complete Adventurer - turn into any creature that has fast healing as an (Ex) ability
Soldier of Light 7, ecl 12, Deities and Demigods
Eldritch Theurge 2, ecl 8, complete Mage - limited duration, see text
Argent Fist 10, ecl 15, Faiths of Eberron - variable effect, limited duration, see text
Sanctified One (Elhonna) 1 or 3 or 5/5, ecl 6, Complete Champion, fast healing 5 for 10 rounds, once per day
Dragon Prophet 5, ecl 10, Magic of Eberron, see text
Wildrunner 10, ecl 15, Races of the Wild, limited duration

Templates
Half-Troll +4 LA (Fiend Folio)
Saint +2 LA (BoED)
Feral +1 LA (SS)
Anarchic +5 LA (Planar HB, at 4+ HD)
Shadow +2 LA (Lords of Madness)
Half-Vampire +2 LA (LM), up to half full normal hit points
Evolved Undead +1 LA (LM)
Vivacious +5 LA (Planar HB)
Radiant +3 LA (Dragon #321) (when exposed to any light source)
Curst +3 LA (LEoF)
Greenbound +5 LA (LEoF)
Dry Lich (Walker in the Waste 10, PrC Sandstorm)
Unholy Scion +5 (Heroes of Horror), fast healing 4

Race
Mul +1 LA (Dragon #319, at 10th+ level)

Feats
Combat Vigor, feat, Player's Handbook II
Sacred Healing, ecl 5, divine feat, Complete Warrior - all allies within 60' burst
Touchstone (Womb of Kikanuti), feat, Sandstorm, long duration but limited use
Troll-blooded (Dragon 319), Regen 1
Dragonmark Rage, feat, Eberron: Dragonmarked - see text
Brand of Nine Hells (Glasya), feat, ecl?, Fiendish Codex II, fast healing 3 for 10 minutes 1/day, see text
Devil's Stamina, feat, Fiendish Codex II, variable 1/day, see text
Healing Devotion, domain feat, Complete Champion, fast healing 1, see text

Other
Phoenix Belt, soulmeld, Magic of Incarnum, see text
Buer, vestige, ecl 7, Tome of Magic
Healing Blood, Silthilar Graft, Lords of Madness
Millenium Chainmail, armor, Complete Divine
persistent Mass Lesser Vigor spell
Dragon Mantle, soulmeld, Dragon Magic, up to half full normal hit point
Druid (Spontaneous Rejuvenation variant), PHB 2, see text
Rapid Regeneration, feat, Fiendish Codex II, improves regeneration by 1, see text
Paragnostic Apostle 1, ecl 4?, Complete Champion, summoned creatures have fast healing, see text

Douglas
2010-03-16, 11:06 PM
With that much constitution and that high level, if you can wait just 3 more levels you'd be able to take the Fast Healing (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/feats.htm#fastHealing) epic feat.

Starscream
2010-03-16, 11:31 PM
Feral is the easiest way to do it with templates, and can work with almost any melee build.

I'm currently playing a Shadow Kobold Rogue who has fast healing 2. That is also a fine template, particularly for stealthy types.

Beorn080
2010-03-16, 11:31 PM
Assuming its for Out of Combat use to top off after each encounter, perhaps a wagon or large piece of metal with an autoreseting CSW trap on it. I'm guessing, as a dragon, your probably at least huge, so you could probably get one attached to the inside of your barding, several most likely.

Optimator
2010-03-16, 11:41 PM

My suggestion. Expensive, but simple.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-16, 11:46 PM
I don't know about Fast Healing, but if you want to give yourself +10 BAB, including iterative attacks, grab the Skillful enchantment on your weapon for a flat 3/4 BAB. That would get you two iterative attacks, and a lot of bonuses to your attack roll for minimal investment. It works very well with War Hulk.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-16, 11:54 PM
check out the hydra blade in my signature.

Zexion
2010-03-16, 11:57 PM
Check out the Demigod class in my sig. Healing domain ability, minor/standard/major.

Shalist
2010-03-17, 12:04 AM
"Millenial Chainmail," pg20 of the MIC. +1 Mithril Chainmail that also gives you fast heal 3, for the low, low price of 8150 gold. And you have to worship Corellon Larethian or get the 'True Believer' feat, but your DM might be willing to cut you some slack there.

Temotei
2010-03-17, 12:06 AM
"Millenial Chainmail," pg20 of the MIC. +1 Mithril Chainmail that also gives you fast heal 3, for the low, low price of 8150 gold. And you have to worship Corellon Larethian or get the 'True Believer' feat, but your DM might be willing to cut you some slack there.

Then you can build on it to be another type of armor (probably heavier) by increasing the price accordingly. Then increase the bonus through the rules in Magic Item Compendium.

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-17, 12:12 AM
Wand of Lesser Vigor, if anyone can use it.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-17, 12:55 AM
Lesser vigor, or you could undergo some sort of ritual to turn you undead (polymorph into a human and have a dread necromancer with the Corpse Crafter feats turn you into a necropolitan), then take the evolved undead template at your next level-up (grants you fast healing 3).

Nightson
2010-03-17, 02:59 AM
Why not just make an item of cure light wounds at-will for healing up between fights. Should be easily cheap enough.

Granted the vigor spell might be better, it's not in the srd so I've no clue.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-03-17, 03:21 AM

My suggestion. Expensive, but simple.

This is exactly what I would go with. For 182K gp you get Fast Healing 2 (Ex), it functions in an AMF or dead magic zone and it can never be removed, stolen, disjoined, etc. It wouldn't carry over to effects which replace your body such as Clone and Reincarnate, but those are seldom used anyway.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-17, 03:28 AM
Why not just make an item of cure light wounds at-will for healing up between fights.
It's been my experience that not too many 18th level Melee Characters without healing access meet the requirements to craft such an item.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-03-17, 03:54 AM
It's been my experience that not too many 18th level Melee Characters without healing access meet the requirements to craft such an item.

Clearly you've never heard of an Item Familiar (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/magic/itemFamiliars.htm) or Ancestral Relic, though I doubt this character has either.

Person_Man
2010-03-17, 08:59 AM
Note that by the time you can reasonably get it, Fast Healing is mostly useless. Healing 1-4 points per round is a joke, and a lot less then you can get from various other methods of healing, such as vampiric healing, temporary hit points, Hellreaver, Quickened Cure spells, etc.

sonofzeal
2010-03-17, 09:06 AM
Wrathful Healing weapons?

tcrudisi
2010-03-17, 09:23 AM
Note that by the time you can reasonably get it, Fast Healing is mostly useless. Healing 1-4 points per round is a joke, and a lot less then you can get from various other methods of healing, such as vampiric healing, temporary hit points, Hellreaver, Quickened Cure spells, etc.

The OP doesn't seem to think it would be useless in his situation -- and that's the important part. Note that he's not wanting to heal in combat, but rather outside of it. Fast Healing 1 is probably enough to heal him up in between combats. And why waste resources (from a wand, scroll, spells, etc) when he can simply sit down for 5 minutes and heal all the way up?

taltamir
2010-03-17, 09:28 AM
The OP doesn't seem to think it would be useless in his situation -- and that's the important part. Note that he's not wanting to heal in combat, but rather outside of it. Fast Healing 1 is probably enough to heal him up in between combats. And why waste resources (from a wand, scroll, spells, etc) when he can simply sit down for 5 minutes and heal all the way up?

there are better ways to get "all day" healing without fast healing.

Eldariel
2010-03-17, 09:39 AM
Tip, don't seek an item that simply grants you Fast Healing. That's pretty expensive. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/rings.htm#rapidHealing)

herrhauptmann
2010-03-17, 11:18 AM
Purchase a custom magic item that grants Heal. I think it's about 13-14k for a 1/day. Times 5 for an infinite use item.

Or purchase a custom wondrous item of persisted lesser vigor. That should be a 4th level spell * caster level 7 * 1000gp (i think) * (2/5) for a 2/day. You should only need a single use per day, but the second is if it gets dispelled. And at character level 18, any enemy who whacks you with a dispel, is going to find it easy to take down a caster level 7 spell.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-17, 12:09 PM
Well, again, necropolitan would give him all sorts of immunities and access to undead-specific abilities (such as Mindsight) that would be very useful in epic. The Corpsecrafter line of feats would give him a decent number of additional hp and other bonuses, and he could immediately buy off the LA required for the evolved undead template (assuming it's allowed).

I'd say this is probably the best way to do it, although it may take a couple of sessions before he can catch up on the XP lost from the necropolitan and evolved undead templates (but he WILL catch up, and in short order, too). There are ways to become immune to turning (for instance, feats), and he won't have to worry about all those nasty little abilities that he's now immune to.

Just a thought.

Nightson
2010-03-17, 02:15 PM

He said without easy access to healing. Cure light wounds might still be castable around the party somewhere, and if not the item is going to cost something under 5k gold, easy to commission.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-17, 02:59 PM
Tip, don't seek an item that simply grants you Fast Healing. That's pretty expensive. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/magicItems/rings.htm#rapidHealing)

That's Core. Outside of Core, it costs you 8K and a feat slot. And your Pride, which is far more valuable.

Boci
2010-03-17, 04:01 PM
Purchase a custom magic item that grants Heal. I think it's about 13-14k for a 1/day. Times 5 for an infinite use item.

Or purchase a custom wondrous item of persisted lesser vigor. That should be a 4th level spell * caster level 7 * 1000gp (i think) * (2/5) for a 2/day. You should only need a single use per day, but the second is if it gets dispelled. And at character level 18, any enemy who whacks you with a dispel, is going to find it easy to take down a caster level 7 spell.

2 problems. 1: Lesser vigour is a fiest level spell, so +6 for persist makes its a 7th level spell. 2: Your using the crafting guidlines. Few DMs will allow you to get a +4 bonus to AC with a slotless item that costs 4,000gp.

Squider
2010-03-17, 06:02 PM
Appreciate the responses.

Feral Template looks perfect, if perhaps a little powerful for +1LA but we may be able to tone it down. It would be hard to retroactively justify that being attached however.

That LoM healing blood looks interesting, if a tad expensive. still it would only be maybe a partial level's worth of gold away, definitely worth a look.

Thanks again

herrhauptmann
2010-03-17, 08:57 PM
2 problems. 1: Lesser vigour is a fiest level spell, so +6 for persist makes its a 7th level spell. 2: Your using the crafting guidlines. Few DMs will allow you to get a +4 bonus to AC with a slotless item that costs 4,000gp.

Could've sworn persist was a +3, not a +6. Oops.
And yes, I AM using the crafting guidelines, since those are the rules. I can't make assumptions regarding houserules that the OP uses. I might have quoted them wrong, but that was a matter of being away from books.
And what are you talking about for a slotless item that grants a +4 to AC for 4000?

TheMadLinguist
2010-03-17, 09:25 PM
Also, lesser vigor is range:touch, and not valid target for persisting.

Grumman
2010-03-17, 09:44 PM
And what are you talking about for a slotless item that grants a +4 to AC for 4000?
A custom item of Mage Armour, I assume.

Boci
2010-03-17, 11:44 PM
And yes, I AM using the crafting guidelines, since those are the rules. I can't make assumptions regarding houserules that the OP uses. I might have quoted them wrong, but that was a matter of being away from books.

The guidlines are not the rules, they are guidlines. Any specific wonderous item is a rule, and the DM can disallow it with a house rule. For an item made purely under the guidlines however, the DM houserules it in, not the otherway around.

An item of constant mage armour is 2k, double the price to make it slotless, so 4k. It uses the guidlines. Now try and get that past a DM.

Harperfan7
2010-03-17, 11:53 PM
Mask of the Implacable from Races of Faerun

Fast Healing 3 as long as the mask is worn and some other stuff
65,000gp

ShneekeyTheLost
2010-03-18, 12:01 AM
If you want a psionic item:

Skin of the Troll

This psychoactive skin continually allows a living wearer to heal more quickly. The wearer heals 5 points of damage per minute. Except for the slower rate of healing, this skin affects its wearer as if the wearer were under the effect of a continual true metabolism power.

Strong psychometabolism; ML 17th; Craft Universal Item, true metabolism; Price 61,200 gp; Weight 2 lb.

Eldariel
2010-03-18, 05:23 AM
Also, lesser vigor is range:touch, and not valid target for persisting.

Mass Lesser Vigor works fine tho.

taltamir
2010-03-18, 05:31 AM
An item of constant mage armour is 2k, double the price to make it slotless, so 4k. It uses the guidlines. Now try and get that past a DM.

A custom item of mage armor that is... there is already an item of mage armor in the DMG:

Bracers of Armor
These items appear to be wrist or arm guards. They surround the wearer with an invisible but tangible field of force, granting him an armor bonus of +1 to +8, just as though he were wearing armor. Both bracers must be worn for the magic to be effective.

Moderate conjuration; CL 7th; Craft Wondrous Item, mage armor, creator’s caster level must be at least two times that of the bonus placed in the bracers; Price 1,000 gp (+1), 4,000 gp (+2), 9,000 gp (+3), 16,000 gp (+4), 25,000 gp (+5), 36,000 gp (+6), 49,000 gp (+7), 64,000 gp (+8); Weight 1 lb.
As you can see, a slot consuming item that requires mage armor to cast and perfectly duplicates it costs 16k GP...
the same item using the rules you listed will cost you 2k. (4k is only if it is slotless, but why bother making it so? slots are there to be USED; the only reason to actually need slotless items is because the premade items are taking up all your slots; thing is, if you get item crafting, you can just make a custom item of a different unused slot, or an item that gives two effects in one slot... costs less than a slotless item)

bartman
2010-03-22, 06:45 PM
Few DMs will allow you to get a +4 bonus to AC with a slotless item that costs 4,000gp.

If you read the table, just above, it says that for an item to give an enhancement bonus to AC, the cost is bonus squared * 1000, for a deflection bonus,th cost is bonus squared * 2000, and for an untyped bonus, the cost is bonus squared * 2500

I do not know os any DM that would allow the 4K cost when the other rules exist on the same table.

ScionoftheVoid
2010-03-22, 07:04 PM
If you read the table, just above, it says that for an item to give an enhancement bonus to AC, the cost is bonus squared * 1000, for a deflection bonus,th cost is bonus squared * 2000, and for an untyped bonus, the cost is bonus squared * 2500

I do not know os any DM that would allow the 4K cost when the other rules exist on the same table.

It gives an armour bonus, which is not one of the options from what you have said. I would probably allow that, AC is usually hard to raise to a meaningful level anyway, and a slotless item is usually easier to remove in combat (unless the player states otherwise I'll warn them that there is a visual component to the effect, Spot DC 20 when moving, 40 when still. Automatically noticed with See Invisibility or similar effects. If they want it to not have a visual effect they may have to pay a bit more, a few hundred gold pieces maybe. I'd give this same visual effect to similar effects (e.g. Mage Armour, Shield, Orb of Force). I like using rules and guidelines to great effect on either side of the metaphorical DM screen (I've never actually seen one in use).:smallsmile:

Thurbane
2010-03-22, 08:27 PM
The vestige Buer grants fast healing, and also the ability to totally cure people by touch outside of combat, given enough rounds.

May not be viable for this build, requires Binder 7 (or Binder 5 with a feat).