PDA

View Full Version : Ooze character?

Evard
2010-03-16, 11:41 PM
Is there a book that details how to create an Ooze PC in D&D 3.X ? Looking on d20.org they don't have a LA =[

IthilanorStPete
2010-03-16, 11:44 PM
Oozes are nonintelligent, they aren't suitable for playing.

Crow
2010-03-16, 11:44 PM
They don't have an INT score...so how does that work?

There has to be some ooze-based PrC around somewhere though...

Gaiyamato
2010-03-16, 11:51 PM
I'll look it up later to make sure, but off the top of my head I am sure there is a PRC in BoVD that turns you into a ooze at level 10.

Geiger Counter
http://www.wizards.com/dnd/images/mof_gallery/MonFaePG49.jpgAn ooze player would not be nearly as broken as warforged are so go ahead.
Just remove their mindless traits and probably replace blindsight with eyes. Maybe replace immune to criticals with fortification and give them a small amount of DR and there you go. Also if it can literally squeeze into any hole give it an LA. (Yeah I know it's funny laugh it up)

Grumman
There has to be some ooze-based PrC around somewhere though...
There is at least one, in one of the 3.0 class-based splatbooks. I can't remember which one, though.

Olo Demonsbane
2010-03-16, 11:53 PM
You could either try Oozemaster (PrC) for a humanoid that focuses on oozes.

Or there is a template in Dungeonscape that gives Oozes intelligence.

Gaiyamato
2010-03-16, 11:56 PM
Thrall of Jubilex, thats the one I think. Let's you summon+rebuke oozes and puddings as well. :D

Anyway.. back to work. lol.

arguskos
2010-03-16, 11:57 PM
There is at least one, in one of the 3.0 class-based splatbooks. I can't remember which one, though.
The Slime Lord, from the back of Player's Guide to Faerun.

Nate the Snake
2010-03-17, 12:02 AM
Masters of the Wild offers the Oozemaster prestige class, which changes your type to Ooze as its capstone. That's actually the most interesting thing about; the rest of its class features are very underwhelming and not worth the five lost caster levels. :smallyuk: It's 3.0 besides, if that makes a difference.

Normal oozes have LA "-" because they're mindless. You could make it a sentry ooze (template from Dungeonscape), but that would only give it Int 2, so still no level adjustment. (Do note, though, that the sentry ooze template technically grants +2 Int but doesn't actually give the creature an Int score. A creature can't gain bonuses to an ability score it doesn't have, so by RAW the "intelligent ooze" template is still mindless. Obviously not RAI, but still...)

EDIT: Wow, ninja-ed eight times. :smalleek:

Starscream
2010-03-17, 12:15 AM
Dandwiki has a pretty awesome homebrewed PrC called Oozebound (and also a silly version that is Jello themed). You get all sorts of cool abilities, and at the last level actually become a fully sentient ooze.

I would provide a link, but right now that site seems to be down for me.

Edit:
Found it. (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Oozebound_(3.5e_Prestige_Class)) Looks like fun.

Temotei
2010-03-17, 12:17 AM
Dandwiki has a pretty awesome homebrewed PrC called Oozebound (and also a silly version that is Jello themed). You get all sorts of cool abilities, and at the last level actually become a fully sentient ooze.

I would provide a link, but right now that site seems to be down for me.

This (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Oozebound_%283.5e_Prestige_Class%29)?

Make sure you're using the updated site (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page).

Starscream
2010-03-17, 12:20 AM

Make sure you're using the updated site (http://dungeons.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page).

Yes, that's the one.:smallredface:

I really like it, actually. Acid touch, immunities, and almost full casting. At the final level you can basically decide between one more caster level, and getting all the benefits of the ooze type, including immortality.

Only problem I can see is that it doesn't grant acid immunity. You'd think a class that lets you secrete acid from your skin, would at the very least give you some resistance to it.

BobVosh
2010-03-17, 12:20 AM
Gelatinous template from savage species is ooze like. I remember it hitting your int something furious though.

multilis
2010-03-17, 12:24 AM
Oozes are nonintelligent, they aren't suitable for playing.
Battle of Wesnoth game used to have a "Ooze mini campaign", was quite funny.

Ooze-mad mage creation - started out not really intelligent, just hungry and wanting to survive. But as part of survival it found way to take over an elf-chick's body then had elf memories and more intelligence to work with, with comic results.

Evard
2010-03-17, 12:28 AM

That will be fun :D thanks to everyone lol

Knaight
2010-03-17, 01:51 AM
Battle of Wesnoth game used to have a "Ooze mini campaign", was quite funny.

They removed it? Oh well, I downloaded it before. Still need to get past the first level though, I keep getting side tracked by Heir To The Throne, now that I finally finished Descent Into Darkness, the most needlessly difficult campaign of all time. Amazing though.

As for an ooze, this is just asking for homebrew, and it shouldn't be that difficult to balance.

Ormur
2010-03-17, 02:05 AM
Didn't some article on the WOTC site have an example of a fiendish ooze (int 3) with monk levels?

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-17, 05:13 AM
One of the Faerun books has an ooze like race. Tis a +2 LA.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-17, 07:19 AM
Gelatinous template from savage species is ooze like. I remember it hitting your int something furious though.

Gelatinous makes you lose Int (1) so can't play one: you'd need to be 1/2 Dragon to gain Int score high enough (bumps it to 3).

So a Gelantious 1/2 Dragon (Race) would work. As well as adding anarchic unfinished (+5 LA) or axiomatic (perfect, LA +4).

Your base Race's Int would be dumped to 1 than 1/2 dragon would add 2: so you'd have 3 Int.
That's 3 LA though.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-17, 07:38 AM
what about ooze mephits?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-17, 09:15 AM
I believe there is a savage progression for Oozes, one of my friend actually plays an awakened gelatinous cube, a fun times...

Gerrtt
2010-03-17, 09:21 AM
I had a friend who played a cleric with the slime domain and obtained an item of acid immunity and rode around on a commanded gelatinous cube as a mount. Good times...

taltamir
2010-03-17, 09:26 AM
make them either an awakened ooze or a half ooze (via magical metamorphosis of some sort; giving them some but not all aspect of ooze)

There is actually a awesome comic called slimy thief about a (female :P) elf rogue who gets merged with an ooze due to a magic item...
http://slimythief.com/intro/

TC X0 Lt 0X
2010-03-17, 03:15 PM
There are the Summoning Ooze of MM3. They have a INT of 10. Though they lack a LA.

JeenLeen
2010-03-17, 03:21 PM
Can one Awaken an ooze, as a druid can awaken animals?

Your DM would probably have to give an LA, but that might work. Or maybe a wizard researched a spell that awakens oozes, if such a spell doesn't already exist.

I like the idea of a Living Blasphemy ooze that has become a Paladin. Terrible crunch-wise, I'm sure, but a funny class idea.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-17, 03:49 PM
make them either an awakened ooze or a half ooze (via magical metamorphosis of some sort; giving them some but not all aspect of ooze)

There is actually a awesome comic called slimy thief about a (female :P) elf rogue who gets merged with an ooze due to a magic item...
http://slimythief.com/intro/

That is more Savage Species Ritual: they can grant racial features of another race.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-17, 03:59 PM
An ooze player would not be nearly as broken as warforged are so go ahead.
Just remove their mindless traits and probably replace blindsight with eyes. Maybe replace immune to criticals with fortification and give them a small amount of DR and there you go. Also if it can literally squeeze into any hole give it an LA. (Yeah I know it's funny laugh it up)

And there goes another desk...

Greenish
2010-03-17, 04:02 PM
And there goes another desk...Everyone knows optimizers have only two goals: to reduce their characters' charisma as much as possible, and to ruin the game for everyone by doing non-medieval stuff (ZOMG ROBOTS NOOOOOOOOO!!111!!!!!). Warforged hit both goals, and thus are very optimized, and thus are brokenly powerful.

It all makes perfect sense.

[Edit]: When did you start your headdesk count?

Darrin
2010-03-17, 04:08 PM
Can one Awaken an ooze, as a druid can awaken animals?

There is an awaken ooze spell, but it's in Dragon #304.

There are a couple WotC Elite (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20040521a) Opponents (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/eo/20060922a) articles that do some... interesting things with oozes via templates. If you add one of the extraplanarish templates to an ooze, it usually bumps up the Int to a minimum of 3. I'd love to spring the fiendish monk cube on my players sometime...

I like the idea of a Living Blasphemy ooze that has become a Paladin. Terrible crunch-wise, I'm sure, but a funny class idea.

Living Spells are oozes, and one or two of them are intelligent... there's an Eberron PrC that lets you create living spells, but I forget if it was in a sourcebook or in Dragon.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-17, 04:09 PM
Everyone knows optimizers have only two goals: to reduce their characters' charisma as much as possible, and to ruin the game for everyone by doing non-medieval stuff (ZOMG ROBOTS NOOOOOOOOO!!111!!!!!). Warforged hit both goals, and thus are very optimized, and thus are brokenly powerful.

It all makes perfect sense.

[Edit]: When did you start your headdesk count?

About two weeks ago. I don't read all that many threads here. And your sarcasm needs moar cowbell.

dentrag2
2010-03-17, 04:33 PM
You could, uh, Apply fiendish template. That gives any ooze intelligence 3. Boom, you now have a playable character.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-17, 05:00 PM
You could, uh, Apply fiendish template. That gives any ooze intelligence 3. Boom, you now have a playable character.

That doesn't help for LA. Oozes still aren't playable (since LA - instead of +0).

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-17, 05:21 PM
Okay. AN ooze character? How about this.

Race is Slyth*
Class is Cleric-1 (ooze and slime)/Wizard or sorc-4/Spell Sovereign-5/ Ooze Lord-10

Pick up net proficiency via feats.

Use UA rules for custom summon lists to add oozes through out all summon monster lists.

Your weapon is the net from A&EG that turns into an ooze on command. You also shell out the cash for the amulet of Ooze riding from the same book.

You are an ooze that warships oozes and has a pet ooze, turns into a better ooze while riding an ooze and using an ooze as a weapon and summoning oozes to do your bidding. IS that enough Ooze? Trick question. You can never have enough ooze

*Ah HA! Found it! In the underdark book. Page 18. The Slyth are a race that can assume an amorphous form a few times a day and have ooze heritage.

.....:smallmad: it appears that i have an ooze living under my shift key. it likes to make two letters in a row capitals instead of just one. annoying.

Forever Curious
2010-03-17, 05:28 PM
Okay. AN ooze character? How about this.

Race is Slyth*
Class is Cleric-1 (ooze and war-Net)/Wizard or sorc-4/Spell Sovereign-5/ Ooze Lord-10

Your weapon is the net from A&EG that turns into an ooze on command. You also shell out the cash for the amulet of Ooze riding from the same book.

You are an ooze that warships oozes and has a pet ooze, turns into a better ooze while riding an ooze and using an ooze as a weapon. IS that enough Ooze? Trick question. You can never have enough ooze

*Ah HA! Found it! In the underdark book. Page 18. The Slyth are a race that can assume an amorphous form a few times a day and have ooze heritage.

.....:smallmad: it appears that i have an ooze living under my shift key. it likes to make two letters in a row capitals instead of just one. annoying.

Needs MOAR OOZE! Slime domain!

Also, my FIRST D&D character was a Tiefling Cleric with an ooze fetish...I got a Gelatenous ooze pet due to house rule.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-17, 05:31 PM
is their both an ooze and a slime domain?

Also, one of the dragon mags has advice on the trapping and keeping of oozes something like a bansi tree. Basic tips on feeding and displaying your pets (such as lots of glass floors)

Starbuck_II
2010-03-17, 05:32 PM
Yes, there is both domains.
Slime and Ooze can co-exist (they have different spells for each level).

You have two choices:
Zggytmov (getting Jiggy with it) has Ooze domain.
or
Jubilex: also has Ooze domain.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-17, 05:33 PM
is their both an ooze and a slime domain?

Also, one of the dragon mags has advice on the trapping and keeping of oozes something like a bansi tree. Basic tips on feeding and displaying your pets (such as lots of glass floors)

Yes. Ooze is in SC, Slime is in FC1. Both are granted by the same Demon Prince.

Partial Ninja.

Volkov
2010-03-17, 05:50 PM
Is there a book that details how to create an Ooze PC in D&D 3.X ? Looking on d20.org they don't have a LA =[

To accomplish this you will need a template to raise their int score, or you could just use the summoning ooze which has an Int of 11 I believe. Then ask your DM really nicely to use it as a character with 0 LA, telling him the Racial hit die is punishment enough.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-17, 06:05 PM
a slight edit for MOAR OOZE!