PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Any good feats for flails?

Faleldir
2010-03-17, 10:11 AM
I'm planning a hybrid Ranger/Fighter with Tempest Technique and I just realized I can't have the DEX for Light Blade Mastery without losing a lot of WIS, so I thought about dual-wielding scourges instead. I know I could easily use the character builder, but I don't believe in credit. Does anyone want to make a suggestion?

EDIT: Crap, I posted in the wrong forum. Reporting.

Delcan
2010-03-17, 08:24 PM
Unfortunately, flails are one of the red-headed stepchildren of the weapons classes. There's not a lot of support for flails in feats or magic weapons. Dragging Flail (Martial Power) is okay, but you need to build your powers around it, limiting your choices without giving you much in return. The only really awesome feat that applies to flails is Mobile Warrior (Martial Power), which is epic-level.

Thankfully, there's a whole lot of support in the actual fighter powers that involve flails. Rain of Blows, Chains of Sorrow, and Cage of Chains (from PHB) and Not So Fast (from Martial Power) are solid, excellent flail-optimized powers that make for a very controller-y fighter. (Not So Fast is a particularly notable one, as it locks a creature in place for a very long time for an encounter power.)

Stick with Expertise and Focus for flails, and use those feats you won't be using on weapon-based stuff to augment everything else.

Also, do note that if you go with flails, you're gonna need some Dex, as most flail powers get a boost from it.

Mando Knight
2010-03-17, 10:41 PM
Dex is better than Wis for Tempest Fighters anyway, especially Hybrid Fighter/Rangers. Dex is also better for most Rangers, since high Wis doesn't come into play unless you're building specifically for Wisdom.

Flails and Light Blades alike love Dex as their second stat, as well.

Grynning
2010-03-17, 11:26 PM
Martial Power 2 has two combat styles (a set of two feats that enhance certain powers when using the style's weapon[s]) devoted to flails. Neither are spectacular, but they certainly aren't bad if you're building for it.