PDA

View Full Version : Ie 9

pendell
2010-03-17, 01:47 PM
is evidently being previewed (http://www.pcworld.com/article/191724/can_internet_explorer_9_get_microsofts_mojo_back.h tml)

Does anyone know anything about it? What deficiencies of IE 8 does it address?

My concern is that it won't support XP, and I do not yet have sufficient confidence in newer MS products to move off of XP yet. Firefox and Linux may very well be in my future.

Thoughts?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Mando Knight
2010-03-17, 01:51 PM
I don't care. It's IE. Unless Microsoft really makes a jump in quality, I'm still not gonna switch back.

Starscream
2010-03-17, 02:07 PM
I don't care. It's IE. Unless Microsoft really makes a jump in quality, I'm still not gonna switch back.

Agreed. I do have a copy of IE, because I build websites and it is sometimes necessary to see how they look viewed with different browsers, but for all my actual web-surfing needs I use Firefox.

Mando Knight
2010-03-17, 02:25 PM
Agreed. I do have a copy of IE, because I build websites and it is sometimes necessary to see how they look viewed with different browsers, but for all my actual web-surfing needs I use Firefox.

I've only got IE because I never bothered to uninstall it. Sometimes some websites load better in IE anyway, as well... mostly ones that were optimized for IE because the admin is either paid by Microsoft or has some silly belief that everyone uses IE...

Haruki-kun
2010-03-17, 02:35 PM
Firefox is still comfortable enough to not switch back. Even if they develop a competent browser. They'd still have to top FireFox and Opera for me to try it out. Plus, you know... Linux support.

MethosH
2010-03-17, 02:59 PM
I only use IE to download FireFox.

Emlyn
2010-03-17, 03:32 PM
It'll be nice to see that they are updating it and improving the speed. Regardless of your personal choice IE is still the most used so at least people will benefit. That being said the horrible crashing I've had with IE (yes some websites require it) will mean I'm not going to be giving it a second look.

valadil
2010-03-17, 04:54 PM
I care, but only because I do web development and this means another browser to test. They're advertising standards compliance though, so it can't be too bad, right?

Vaynor
2010-03-17, 04:55 PM
I prefer Safari. :smallbiggrin:

308HTR
2010-03-17, 05:42 PM
At first I thought this thread was titled "Ice 9" and i :smallsmile:ed but then I realized it was about the 9th edition of Internet Explorer and I :smallfrown:ed

After awakening to the glory of Firefox, IE seems so blah.

Trobby
2010-03-17, 05:50 PM
IE 9 only really concerns me because, as someone who is supposed to be a web designer, I need to know what my pages are going to look like in the most commonly used browser. And, unfortunately, many users still use IE. :( Not to say that IE is terrible, but Microsoft has basically ignored web standards for years now. At least, that's what I heard last about them. They might've changed? ...*doubts this*

tyckspoon
2010-03-17, 05:59 PM
I care, but only because I do web development and this means another browser to test. They're advertising standards compliance though, so it can't be too bad, right?

Last time they said that I believe they ended up meaning "We are compliant to what we think the standards ought to be." So.. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

valadil
2010-03-17, 10:48 PM
Last time they said that I believe they ended up meaning "We are compliant to what we think the standards ought to be." So.. I wouldn't get your hopes up.

I expect it to be a step closer than IE8, which was a step closer than IE7. I don't expect it to be anywhere near Firefox, Opera, Safari, or Chrome. It better not be too bad because I don't have a Vista or Win7 box and I'm not about to buy one just to test for a browser I don't like.

MethosH
2010-03-17, 11:45 PM
At first I thought this thread was titled "Ice 9" and i :smallsmile:ed but then I realized it was about the 9th edition of Internet Explorer and I :smallfrown:ed

At first I thought it was io9 (http://io9.com/)

Vaynor
2010-03-17, 11:47 PM

Agreed, a Vonnegut thread would be much more interesting. :smallwink:

Reinboom
2010-03-18, 12:11 AM
As a web developer... I'm very excited.
They have advertised Acid3 completing to 55/100 and have reported implementations of some of many and much desired CSS standards (up to and including CSS3 borders and backgrounds!).

They have also given a nod that they will be developing with HTML 5 in mind.

Since they are showing they now care about these things, I have my hopes high.

Of course, this is still also showing that IE9 is still behind the times (except with CSS3, huh), so, I probably won't use it much beyond development.

So far, it is showing that my work is going to get easier. Hurrah!

Zeb The Troll
2010-03-18, 01:42 AM
*waits patiently* :smallcool:

*is cautiously optimistic* :smalleek:

*hates Firefox* :smallsigh:

ghost_warlock
2010-03-18, 02:04 AM
*waits patiently* :smallcool:

*is cautiously optimistic* :smalleek:

*hates Firefox* :smallsigh:

Yeah, I'm going to go with the minority opinion and say ie > firefox. Firefox just seems to be loading times, ugly page displays, and lame add-ons. It's all hype so no thanks.

Athaniar
2010-03-18, 03:43 AM
Unless they come up with somethig truly extraordinary, I'll continue using Firefox.

Haruki-kun
2010-03-18, 09:11 AM
Not to say that IE is terrible...

IE is terrible.

Yeah, I'm going to go with the minority opinion and say ie > firefox.

>IE users
>Minority

.........anyone wanna tell me what's wrong with this sentence? :smalltongue:

ghost_warlock
2010-03-18, 11:26 AM
anyone wanna tell me what's wrong with this sentence? :smalltongue:

Almost all I hear around here is IE bashing, hence it is justified as a minority opinion.

valadil
2010-03-18, 11:38 AM
Almost all I hear around here is IE bashing, hence it is justified as a minority opinion.

It's a minority opinion on the GiantITP forums. It's not a minority opinion among your average internet user. IE is unfortunately dominant.

Makensha
2010-03-18, 03:58 PM
Yeah, I'm going to go with the minority opinion and say ie > firefox. Firefox just seems to be loading times, ugly page displays, and lame add-ons. It's all hype so no thanks.

Longer loading times? I haven't used IE in a while so I don't know about now, but I do remember when I switched from IE to FF loading times were cut down dramatically, especially start up.
I'm also interested what you mean by ugly page displays.
I understand if you don't like add-ons, but I find them very helpful. For instance all I have to do is look on my toolbar and I know the temperature.

tcrudisi
2010-03-18, 04:29 PM
Oh my god. I just yesterday learned that IE 7 was out. I was about to do some research to figure out which was better: my current version of Mozilla Firefox (3.6) or IE 7. Now I'm going to have to go check to see if I'm using the most recent version of Firefox. Or perhaps I should try out Chrome... I hear it's really fast, and that's all I really care about.

Mando Knight
2010-03-18, 04:46 PM
Oh my god. I just yesterday learned that IE 7 was out. I was about to do some research to figure out which was better: my current version of Mozilla Firefox (3.6) or IE 7. Now I'm going to have to go check to see if I'm using the most recent version of Firefox. Or perhaps I should try out Chrome... I hear it's really fast, and that's all I really care about.

Firefox 3.6 is better than IE 7. 8 is the current version of IE, so your edition is still behind. 3.6 currently has one noticeable bug: it seems to like to drop security tokens on occasion. Could be something with a new data sorting algorithm or something.

I have no idea why ghost_warlock thinks that Firefox has ugly page displays... it actually conforms to the display standards, unlike a good number of Internet Explorer builds, which go their own way.

Zeb The Troll
2010-03-18, 11:53 PM
Longer loading times? I haven't used IE in a while so I don't know about now, but I do remember when I switched from IE to FF loading times were cut down dramatically, especially start up.This happened for me too. And it lasted a little while, but eventually FF lost it's way and I don't have the same experience anymore. In fact, and I've said this in other threads here, there have been times when FF is taking up 90% or more of my processor cycles... while it's minimized and I'm trying to do something else, like play a game or draft a document. The only way to fix it was to close it down. I've not had this problem with IE7 or IE8. Ever. I've also posted screenshots comparing resource utilization showing that, with identical tabs opened, IE7 used only half the memory. IE8 is better.

I'm also interested what you mean by ugly page displays.I don't know why, but this was why I originally went back to IE after IE7 came out. Things just look grainy and bad in FF, while they are smooth and refined in IE7/8.

I understand if you don't like add-ons, but I find them very helpful. For instance all I have to do is look on my toolbar and I know the temperature.IE does add-ons too (http://www.ieaddons.com/en/). Here's one for the weather (http://www.ieaddons.com/en/details/toolbars/The_Weather_Channel_Toolbar_for_IE8/).

I understand why developers don't like it, but I'm not one and IE offers more of what I want than FF does.

Mando Knight
2010-03-19, 12:28 AM
IE offers more of what I want than FF does.

Like Windows Live optimization. :smallyuk:

Why the hells doesn't it work well on Firefox... except for the fact that Windows Live is a Microsoft thing?

Unless it's a problem with Firefox 3.6. It seems to have a good number of those, given that it's officially in the open beta stage... *glares at Mozilla*