PDA

View Full Version : 4th ed question

amaranth69
2010-03-17, 03:59 PM
Hey all, I have a question regarding the 4th edition rules. Do characters gain combat advantage against enemies that have not acted in the first round of combat (thanks to higher initiative), similar to the flat-footed rules in 3.5? One group I play with allows this, but I can find nothing in the rules to support it. I am thinking about DMing a series of short adventures and would like to know before I start. Thank you in advance.

TheOOB
2010-03-17, 04:00 PM
Rogues have a special ability that gives them combat advantage against foes who have not yet acted, but as a general rule no, an aware combatant does not provide combat advantage at the beginning of combat.

Colmarr
2010-03-17, 04:21 PM
And in case you wanted to hear it twice before believing it:

TheOOB is correct.

Yakk
2010-03-17, 04:26 PM
Note that during a surprise round, surprised targets grant CA.

During a surprise round, you can take only one action on your turn. It then proceeds to regular initiative.

Kurald Galain
2010-03-17, 04:30 PM
Seconding what OOB said, the answer is no: nothing in the rules supports that, except in the explicit case of rogues.

greenknight
2010-03-17, 04:53 PM
There's also the Seize the Moment feat (PHB - Paragon), which does exactly what you describe. But the fact that it exists as a feat should prove that doesn't normally happen.