PDA

View Full Version : 30h3. Are they not that good or am I just not getting it?

Mystic Muse
2010-03-17, 09:47 PM
I just don't get why my cousins like the band. What they say is their best song I don't like and instead of suggesting another song they just complain that I don't like the band and call me musically challenged.

Is there something I'm missing or are they really just not that good?

Vaynor
2010-03-17, 10:16 PM
Frankly I don't get why anyone likes the band. Don't worry, there's nothing wrong with you.

Haruki-kun
2010-03-17, 10:28 PM
I sorta like the song.... but not enough to look into their other songs.

Also, the name is a crime against nature. How are you even supposed to pronounce 3oh3! ?

Mystic Muse
2010-03-17, 10:30 PM
Heck I don't even know how to spell it. is it 3oh3, 3Oh3, 30h3, 303, 3O3, or 3o3?

Sneak
2010-03-17, 10:41 PM
3OH!3, actually.

But yeah, I'm not a huge fan either.

Rauthiss
2010-03-17, 10:43 PM
I view them like most bands of their style* - the lyrics aren't the most tasteful to me, but I just can't get the daggum beats out of my head.

Also, am I the only one who finds the Helen Keller line absolutely disgusting and horribly distasteful?

*Bed Rock by Young Money is a PERFECT example of this.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-03-17, 10:45 PM
Also, the name is a crime against nature. How are you even supposed to pronounce 3oh3! ?
"three-O-three"

That was hard.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-17, 10:46 PM
what hellen Keller line?

Rauthiss
2010-03-17, 10:54 PM
"Shush girl // Shush your lips // Do the Helen Keller, and talk with your hips"

From Don't Trust Me.

Sneak
2010-03-17, 10:55 PM
"three-O-three"

That was hard.

Actually, it's "three-O-three!"

The exclamation mark is there for a reason. (:smalltongue:)

Mystic Muse
2010-03-17, 10:56 PM
"Shush girl // Shush your lips // Do the Helen Keller, and talk with your hips"

From Don't Trust Me.

That is COMPLETELY tasteless and a jerk move.:smallmad:

LurkerInPlayground
2010-03-17, 10:57 PM

I'm not that excitable.

Vaynor
2010-03-17, 11:09 PM

Wouldn't that make it "three-O!-three" then? :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2010-03-17, 11:09 PM
"3 oh 3", in reference to the Roland TB-303 Electronic Bassline, a combination synthesizer/sequencer designed to accompany the TR-606 Rhythm Composer. The 303 became a seminal piece of kit in the Acid House scene, which eventually gave way to modern rave music. The 303, despite its cheap construction and the huge numbers produced, sells for a huge amount these days, due to its immediately identifiable sound and its ease of programming.

Yah, I don't really like that band much either.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-17, 11:17 PM
Their a poppy synth Blink 182....whats wrong with them exactly? Their flash powder band stuff. Forget about em, everyone else will.

Sneak
2010-03-17, 11:30 PM
Wouldn't that make it "three-O!-three" then? :smallbiggrin:

Well, nyah. :smalltongue:

Innis Cabal
2010-03-17, 11:33 PM
"3 oh 3", in reference to the Roland TB-303 Electronic Bassline, a combination synthesizer/sequencer designed to accompany the TR-606 Rhythm Composer. The 303 became a seminal piece of kit in the Acid House scene, which eventually gave way to modern rave music. The 303, despite its cheap construction and the huge numbers produced, sells for a huge amount these days, due to its immediately identifiable sound and its ease of programming.

Yah, I don't really like that band much either.

It actually references the area code of Boulder, where the band is from.

Zen Monkey
2010-03-18, 07:30 AM
They seem to just be a lesser copy of the Bloodhound Gang, and will probably be forgotten even faster.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-18, 07:34 AM
No, there is nothing wrong with you.
You have your opinions, and they have theirs.
Let's just leave it at that.

Optimystik
2010-03-18, 07:45 AM
I liked Don't Trust Me. And yes, the Helen Keller line was in bad taste - that's intentional. They're supposed to come off as jerks, that's the whole point of the song - chicks* sleep with jerks.

*Chicks, not women.

Lord of Rapture
2010-03-18, 07:54 AM
Their a poppy synth Blink 182....whats wrong with them exactly? Their flash powder band stuff. Forget about em, everyone else will.

I can't understand a word you just said there. And I'm not being rude. :smallconfused:

ZeroNumerous
2010-03-18, 08:09 AM
I can't understand a word you just said there. And I'm not being rude. :smallconfused:

They are like a pop-synth remake of Blink 182. There's nothing wrong with that. They burn up and disappear, so just forget about it and eventually everyone else will as wel.

Optimystik
2010-03-18, 08:11 AM
I don't see much Blink-182 in their style, actually. Hellogoodbye is much closer to a synthpop Blink.

3Oh!3 is a lot closer to Panic at the Disco, only not nearly as good.

Dispozition
2010-03-18, 09:57 PM
Oooh, these guys. A friend showed me this a while back. The music could be good if someone proficient got their hands on it, like Clark or Richard D. James, but the singers are horrible, and it's fairly mainstream. So, yeah, you aren't the only one who doesn't like it.

SDF
2010-03-18, 10:18 PM
I like the Helen Keller line, but then again I love unwholesome things. Saw them at Warped Tour last summer. Not my scene, or something I'd pay for. But, they were pretty much hilarious. They had El Hefe from NOFX play for one of their songs and paid him in tacos. Then they got the audience to pantomime them. "Everyone play your imaginary keyboards!" *audience starts to play imaginary keyboards* "No, stop! That looks really weird." It was also really rainy and muddy at the outside stages. "I see a lot of you are covered in mud. Did any of you just **** yourselves because you could get away with it? I wouldn't. That's gross." They are pretty much just big screw offs, which I respect in bands.

Moff Chumley
2010-03-18, 11:05 PM
It actually references the area code of Boulder, where the band is from.

Now I like them even less. :smallmad:

SDF
2010-03-19, 09:03 AM
I always thought it would be way better if they were 4Oh!4

Optimystik
2010-03-19, 10:09 AM
I always thought it would be way better if they were 4Oh!4

As in "not found?" :smallamused:

Haruki-kun
2010-03-19, 10:23 AM
And yes, the Helen Keller line was in bad taste - that's intentional. They're supposed to come off as jerks

You have to be way better than them to be a jerk and pull it off in that business. Otherwise it's just pretentious.

Optimystik
2010-03-19, 10:41 AM
You have to be way better than them to be a jerk and pull it off in that business. Otherwise it's just pretentious.

Looking at this thread though, the line seems to have done its job - it irritated people enough to remember and comment on it.

To quote Brendan Brehan: "There is no such thing as bad publicity except your own obituary." Arguably, even a negative reaction is better in show-business, than no reaction.

Innis Cabal
2010-03-19, 02:07 PM
They are like a pop-synth remake of Blink 182. There's nothing wrong with that. They burn up and disappear, so just forget about it and eventually everyone else will as wel.

Exactly this. Their just pop. No modern, and I stress the word modern, will be remembered like the Led Zepplin's, The Eagles, or anyone such as them.

Their sensational music. Yellow Music if you will.

skywalker
2010-03-19, 03:32 PM
Exactly this. Their just pop. No modern, and I stress the word modern, will be remembered like the Led Zepplin's, The Eagles, or anyone such as them.

Why is Led Zeppelin called Led Zeppelin? Because that's what the critics said they'd go over like.

My sister really likes 3Oh!3. I personally think the world was just waiting for someone to get the perfect blend of catchy and dirty.

Electronic sounds are the big thing lately, reference "Whatcha Say" which sampled "Hide and Seek," etc. Electro-hop is perfectly positioned to exploit this. The genre is popular because it accounts for both the backlash against "emo" and Scene by dropping the irony and just avoiding "feelings" all together, but allows a fan to still enjoy catchy music. You get to be even more "edgy" because now the song is about partying and drinking, instead of Pete Wentz's lame-ass feelings. Plus, he's married to that fake Ashlee Simpson anyway.

Moff Chumley
2010-03-20, 06:59 PM

*sigh*

Please do me, and yourself, a favor right now. Go on youtube, look up "Ragged Wood" and "Mykonos" by Fleet Foxes, "All My Friends" by LCD Soundsystem, and "Gronlandic Edit" by Of Montreal. Please.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-20, 07:01 PM
Why is Led Zeppelin called Led Zeppelin? Because that's what the critics said they'd go over like.

They tested this on Myth busters. Lead zeppelins actually float.:smalltongue:

Ravens_cry
2010-03-21, 01:58 AM
They tested this on Myth busters. Lead zeppelins actually float.:smalltongue:
Technically, they made a lead balloon. They discussed making a lead Zeppelin after. A lead Zeppelin would involve a) some form of skeleton for support and b) an motor to drive it against the wind.
This has been a Pedantic Moment with Ravens Cry, Tune in Next Thread for More Terrific* Pedanticisms.
Now, Back to Your Regularity Scheduled Thread.
*terrific, as in causing terror. (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/terrific)