PDA

View Full Version : 24 Hour Duration Buffs [D&D 3.5]

Smeggedoff
2010-03-17, 10:30 PM
Hi Folks, I just picked up Etch Schema (Magic of Eberron) for my Artificer and was wondering if there are any decent 24 hour durational buffs between levels 1 and 6 I should know about.
So far I've made a set of the Primal Ranger Spells (Dragon Magic) for our Ranger.

Cheers
Smeggedoff

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-17, 10:34 PM
hmmm does eschemas allows for higher CL? because a rope trick at CL 4 allows for 8 hours of rest, magic armor at high CL can also be a good option... GMW IIRC has also duration hr/lvl and at most you will need a CL of about... 12 (doable in an eschema of 6 lvl)

JeminiZero
2010-03-17, 10:42 PM
The Resistance series of spells lasts 24 hours and works well if you don't have cloaks of resistance or something similiar. Superior Resistance is level 6 and grants a +6 bonus I believe.

Endure Elements also works well if you are in hostile climates, but depending on the number of party members you have to cover with it, it might be cheaper per casting to get it as an eternal wand.

There is also Energy Immunity, but that one is rather situational.

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-18, 03:28 AM
hmmm does eschemas allows for higher CL? because a rope trick at CL 4 allows for 8 hours of rest, magic armor at high CL can also be a good option... GMW IIRC has also duration hr/lvl and at most you will need a CL of about... 12 (doable in an eschema of 6 lvl)

Technically, they should (minor schemas are to scrolls what eternal wands are to wands), except they hold some of the same troubles of eternal wands (fixed costs instead of variable costs). In fact, the only mention about CL is that the minor schemas' CL is the minimum to cast the spell.

Minor schemas are mostly good for casting spells on your list and not expending a scroll for it (although 6th level spells are almost prohibitively expensive), as well as adding sorcerer/wizard/wu jen spells to a spellbook (or divine spells to an archivist's prayerbook).

An artificer or a feat that allows adding the benefit of metamagic feats to spell completion items may help, but you have to make sure that it affects scrolls (as they are the closest thing to minor schemas).

EDIT: Etch Schema allows you to make schemas with higher CL. The total cost is spell/infusion level x caster level x 400. So, a Rope Trick minor schema (level 2 spell) with a CL of 8 (for a lasting time of 8 hours) would cost around 6,400 gp (or, 3,200 gp and 256 xp, IIRC, for creating it). If you can find ways to extend schemas, a hour/level spell can be created with CL 12 and have a relatively useful per day buff. GMW, for example (a 3rd level spell) with CL 19 (>.<) made on a schema would cost a hefty bit (22,800 gp!) but would last for 19 hours and give you a +5 enhancement bonus to your weapon, so it's pretty much an all day buff. With Extend Spell, it would be for 38 hours, 10 short of two days (and thus, having around 14 hours of grace before recasting in case the spell isn't dispelled earlier)

Aharon
2010-03-18, 03:39 AM
You can use Metamagic Spell Completion on Schemas. Didn't you go the Persistent Spell way, or isn't your UMD high enough yet?

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-18, 04:37 AM
Something else I noticed: Metamagic Scroll, a 1st level infusion from Magic of Eberron. It allows you to, for 1 round/level, add a metamagic feat that increases the spell level by 2 into a scroll or minor schema for anyone to use. So, you can get Extend Spell (uses up a slot of one spell level higher) and Extend schemas that last 1 hour/level.

Thus, Extended GMW minor schemas with a caster level minimum of 12 are effectively all-day buffs, and so does Magic Vestment. Greater Status might also be a choice if you're allowed to use infusions as spells. Sense Weakness is a pretty nasty spell, since it's basically a 1/day, 24-hour lasting critical threat that any of your characters can use. Sending Stones is essentially a temporary walkie-talkie (read: message spell) that lasts for a day. If your group needs a strong wind for any reason, Wind's Favor may help (though in that case the Spell Storing Item infusion is better)

Corey
2010-03-18, 08:13 AM
Sense Weakness is a pretty nasty spell,

Where is that found?

jiriku
2010-03-18, 09:25 AM
If there's a druid in your party, he'll appreciate healthful rest (SC), which will double the healing he gets each time he wild shapes. If you're adventuring in an area with extreme weather, everyone will appreciate endure elements.

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-18, 04:27 PM
Where is that found?

The Spells and Psionic Powers section of Magic of Eberron. It's a Sorcerer/Wizard spell, IIRC. It also has a 24 hour duration, and it's dischargeable.

Smeggedoff
2010-03-18, 06:01 PM
You can use Metamagic Spell Completion on Schemas. Didn't you go the Persistent Spell way, or isn't your UMD high enough yet?

My UMD isn't high enough yet, at least it wasn't last time I checked.

Out GM's a bit funny about custom magic items that boost skills (after a player in his last game bought a +30 concentration item and ran all his saves off it with Tome of battle stuff) so the best I can do at the moment is a decent charisma, full ranks and occasional castings of the lvl 1 infusion that boosts skills by about 7.

I have been using metamagic item to get a few persistent buffs but I burn through my lvl 3 infusions quickly that way.

Thanks guys, I'll look all of these up.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-18, 06:12 PM
There are a lot of skill boost spells ... also skill enhancement + item alteration.

PS. running around with a laundry list of persistent buffs is not very good for game balance though.

Corey
2010-03-18, 06:14 PM
The Spells and Psionic Powers section of Magic of Eberron. It's a Sorcerer/Wizard spell, IIRC. It also has a 24 hour duration, and it's dischargeable.

Thanks!

So why is it a good use of a 2nd-level spell to make a single attack into an autocrit?

absolmorph
2010-03-18, 06:14 PM
My UMD isn't high enough yet, at least it wasn't last time I checked.

Out GM's a bit funny about custom magic items that boost skills (after a player in his last game bought a +30 concentration item and ran all his saves off it with Tome of battle stuff) so the best I can do at the moment is a decent charisma, full ranks and occasional castings of the lvl 1 infusion that boosts skills by about 7.

I have been using metamagic item to get a few persistent buffs but I burn through my lvl 3 infusions quickly that way.

Thanks guys, I'll look all of these up.
Oh, come on. You get a +30 [skill] item and the only fun thing you can think to do with it is MAKE YOUR SAVES BETTER OCCASIONALLY. That person deserves to be slapped. He could have at least done something hilariously off-the-wall.

T.G. Oskar
2010-03-18, 06:32 PM
Oh, come on. You get a +30 [skill] item and the only fun thing you can think to do with it is MAKE YOUR SAVES BETTER OCCASIONALLY. That person deserves to be slapped. He could have at least done something hilariously off-the-wall.

Yeah, like...reading out the rest of Diamond Mind. That's technically a +30 to damage with Insightful Strike, +60 damage with Greater Insightful Strike, and nearly auto success on three saves and damage multipliers.

Perhaps the DM had Foresight? (pun intended)

Smeggedoff
2010-03-18, 06:38 PM
Yeah, like...reading out the rest of Diamond Mind. That's technically a +30 to damage with Insightful Strike, +60 damage with Greater Insightful Strike, and nearly auto success on three saves and damage multipliers.

Perhaps the DM had Foresight? (pun intended)

He probably did, I'm not up to scratch on ToB stuff, I don't use it myself.