PDA

View Full Version : AFMBE campaign idea's.

Relecs
2010-03-17, 11:56 PM
So after reading crossed and watching the crazies i was inspired to start a all flesh campaign, with more human zombies.

Anyways what I was hoping for was just for people to come up with ideas as to interesting locations that the characters might go to in a city.

Obviously there is things like "office building", "restaurant" etc.

What I'm looking for from this forum is more in depth idea's.

eg. Wong's Fine Chinese and Western Dining, Owner: Wong, Status: infested, note: Wong has become a psycho and he and his employees have set traps.

Any location will work, I just need to be able to populate my city with interesting locations.

A little information about Psycho's They are strong, fast, intelligent(ish, in the tool use, teamwork, problem solving, sort of way not in debating politics)

For anyone who has read crossed, or seen the crazies they are meant to have a similar feeling to them.
Only big difference is that they become them once they die, not from bodily fluids.

DabblerWizard
2010-03-18, 07:57 AM
If I understand you correctly, you're starting up a campaign with a modern day, heavy zombie / undead theme, and you want the playground to come up with locations in a city where these creatures might have set up shop, since they're not just mindless things.

I imagine these "psychos" could monopolize all the butcher shops in town, assuming they rely on eating meat, whatever kind it is, for sustenance. If so, maybe people find out about them because they start getting sick when the psychos start mixing human flesh in with the animal products. That's certainly gross, but it's been done before (See Sweeney Todd 2007).

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-18, 08:12 AM
Sounds like fun! Is this a big city or a small one (New York sized or Ogden Marsh sized, or somewhere in between - like Cedar Rapids). Let me know if this is too much / too little information, or if I missed the ball:

Sam's Deli and Fine Meats
A small sit down deli downtown. One of the few remaining 'mom and pop' places left. Has a reputation for quality.
Owner: Samuel Weston
Note: Sam is not infected, but was forced to kill his wife early on in the incident, and more recently a couple of 'crazies' that broke into his shop. As a result, he's very paranoid and a little unhinged. He's far gone, though not beyond reason.

Crawford Memorial Hospital
A small hospital in the suburbs, this one floor hospital (about the size of a average primary school) has the usual facilities. OR If in the heart of the city, a five floor hostpital (~10,000 feet per floor). Also has a morgue and parking in the basement.
Operated by: Doctors and Nurses
Note: A couple of the infested doctors have powerful sedatives on hand. Many patients were killed in their beds. Infested hospital staff includes nurses, doctors, cleaning crew, a couple of security guards (due to a criminal requiring hospital treatment) and a few paramedics. Hospital 'gear' includes two ambulances (one functional, one crashed into the entry/exit of the underground parking). Lots of practical medical gear as well (first aid, disinfectant, cleaning chemicals, etc...). Cleaning crew still stalk the hallways and quickly report any newcomers. A group of uninfected are holed up in the morgue (one among them is infested, but does not show any symptoms yet). One of the security guards keeps watch on the blockaded morgue door in case anyone inside comes out.

Prestige Inn
A small, two-storey motel in the heart of the city. A little run-down despite the name.
Owner: Walter Perkins
Status: Clean (Main office) and abandoned (various rooms), and see notes.
Notes: Walter, his wife and his 2 kids are holed up in a barricaded main office/reception with the receptionist and 2 guests. They have a decent supply cache and hope to tough this one out.
The rooms are either empty or contain the bloody remains of unfortunate vacationers. Many of the doors are busted open. At least one of the rooms has a family of hapless vacationers holed up inside, and one of the rooms has a couple of crazies in it. They respond to any noise they hear, but go about their business discreetly, hoping to ambush any passerbies.

Baird, West and Associates Lawfirm
A large, multilevel office building (size depending on city size I guess). Most of the occupants evacuated. Of note, there's a small helipad on the top floor.
Owner: William Baird, Maximillian West and Associates have already evacuated via personal transportation.
Note: The lights are their low-power setting (every fourth light is on), but a couple of offices midway up the tower are on and blinking intermittently. A quick look will reveal a patter to the blinking. If any of the players know more code, they recognize the "S.O.S." being shown through the blinking (or failing at that, the windows could be smashed with a large 'Need Help' banner hanging out. This is, of course, a trap by a group of sneaky infected, who ambush anyone who enters the building. 3 uninfested are holed up on the top floor, which cannot be accessed by usual means (requires keycard scan for access).

The intersection of Welling and Oakes
One of the main intersections downtown, it is also the site of a multi-car pileup.
Owner: Currently a group of infected (see notes)
Notes: Barricaded in the middle of the intersection is a group of crazies. They use the crashed cars as a makeshift hideout, barricade, and for cover, and attack anyone who approaches the intersection. They have guns and binoculars, and usually wait until their victims are pretty close before opening fire. They clear dead bodies after every encounter, though if it's daytime, the players will possibly notice bloodstains on the road.

EDIT: Ugh.... DIscreetly, not Descreetly.

Optimystik
2010-03-18, 08:17 AM
Shopping Malls, obv.

And include a Carnival with lots of complex skill checks to navigate the rides, or treat them as traps.

Hospital is another good one but was already stated.

Relecs
2010-03-18, 09:35 AM
Thanks to posters so far...especially spikefightwiki, your idea's are going straight into a word document with my own. I really like the prestige inn, it's a great idea if my players get out of the city and i need an interesting location on the road.

Zeta Kai
2010-03-18, 10:49 AM
PCs have brains.

Zombies crave brains.

PCs have guns.

Zombies loathe guns.

So there you go. Infinite conflict. Everything else is window dressing.

Relecs
2010-03-18, 10:54 AM
Only difference in this being that these don't crave brains they crave whatever they can get their hands on and they love to kill. As well they can use guns, and weapons...

But in response to the infinite conflict. I definatley agree the only problem is our group can't seem to do more than a one shot of all flesh because they either hole up somewhere or the gm doesn't do enough interesting things. Which is why I have turned to the forum to give me some idea's for more interesting things than just...You enter building, zombies in building, run/kill, meet survivors, repeat.

I'm trying to eliminate the first problem by making intelligent zombies so that they can't just hole up because these ones can open doors, work together, etc.
Now i just have to avoid it getting stale.

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-18, 12:35 PM
Only difference in this being that these don't crave brains they crave whatever they can get their hands on and they love to kill. As well they can use guns, and weapons...

But in response to the infinite conflict. I definatley agree the only problem is our group can't seem to do more than a one shot of all flesh because they either hole up somewhere or the gm doesn't do enough interesting things. Which is why I have turned to the forum to give me some idea's for more interesting things than just...You enter building, zombies in building, run/kill, meet survivors, repeat.

I'm trying to eliminate the first problem by making intelligent zombies so that they can't just hole up because these ones can open doors, work together, etc.
Now i just have to avoid it getting stale.

Still looking for any more ideas? I've got tons. I ran an AFMBE game last year and have tons of material. My players were like detail absorbing sponges, so I always had as much info as possible about any place they went.

Relecs
2010-03-18, 01:24 PM
I am definitely still looking for idea's. Thanks.

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-19, 09:22 AM
Alrighty, here's another batch:

Hank's Hardware
A medium sized hardware store in the downtown core where the usual big box stores don't have room to expand. It has a 'front door' main entrance, and a back door that leads out into a back alley that links up with a road on one side, and a dead-end on the other side. The alley has 3 garbage bins in it. There's a basement that has snacks and drinks and a poker table setup.
Owner: Hank Willard (infected)
Notes: Hank and a couple of his late night poker buddies were infected and lost it during one of their games. Now they use some of the various tools in the store in creative (but horrifying) ways on anyone who enters their shop (or walks past). The front windows and the door windows are boarded up, though the door itself is left slightly ajar to let people wander in. The door's rigged to close and lock itself after people enter the store. The aisles are boarded up to create a pseudo-maze and the lights are kept very dim.

2nd District Police Station
The medium sized police station shows little sign of life from the outside. The fence to the vehicle lot is still up, but it looks like most of the vehicles are on fire. Attentive PCs might occasionally hear some gunshots from inside.
Owner: City Police Department
Notes: A small group of police officers are holed up inside the building, fending off attacks from a sizeable group of infected. They're running low on ammo, though the gun storage area was raided in the early stages of the infection. Traversing inside is tough due to the number of bodies strewn about inside, including both infected and clean humans. 3 police officers and 2 employees at the station are holed up inside. Most of the infected are at a hastily made barricade trying to get through without being shot by the remaining cops. The rest are wandering the hallways, looking for anything interesting to do/interesting to kill. Most of the ammunition in the station has already been used up. One of the squad cars in the vehicle is still in working condition, though the windows are shattered and the paint job is a little singed.

Daphne's Diner
The establishment looks abandoned. Many of the windows have been smashed, and the furnishings have been wrecked. No lights are on and not a sound can be heard within. A backdoor leads to a back alley with a half-full garbage bin. The back door only opens from the inside.
Owner: Daphne Smith (Clean)
Notes: The kitchen area has an abundance of foodstuffs, from canned to perisheable goods, and bottled water. The proprietor may or may not be there, though if she is, she's hiding in the back office.

SpikeFightwicky
2010-03-22, 10:03 AM
Here's a couple more:

For some fun randomness, if the PCs like to check parked (and not trashed) cars, give one of them a car alarm. If the PCs set it off, it's a very loud signal to any infected nearby that someone's close by. It should give a "run and hide until things cool down" change of pace.

McBugerjoint (insert any fast food chain name here if the game is going for verisimilitude. They all have pretty much the same layout.)
A single floor fast food restaurant. Trash and unfinished food lay strewn about the tables. The normally brightly colored interior looks sombre, dur mainly to poor lighting (the only light that's on flickers randomly). The kitchen area includes a small office room, kitchen and food storage area. Some of them have a back door to an alleyway.
Owner: Choose among managers -> Paul Oberson (poor social skills, uses assistant manager position to bully employees), Erin Smith (Strict but protective of her employees), Hugh Paulson (Gruff, middle-aged hates his job), etc...
Status: Either infested or abandoned (there are few good hiding places that can be secured, so 'survivors' would only do a supply raid).
Notes: Depending on who's managing, any group of infected would react differently. A 'Paul' fast-food joint would be poorly guarded and uncoordinated, an Erin fast-food joint would likely have traps and makeshift barricades, a Hugh fast-food joint would likely be abandoned, etc... Also, if the survivors are in the restaurant, it makes a good spot for an ambush (no real safe spots that aren't dead ends)

Construction site (Future location of Crowne Plaza Condos)
The skeletal structure looks to be about half-built. The upper floors have no walls yet and no windows have been installed. The area in front of the building has construction equipment strewn about. Some generators are still active and powering large spotlights that illuminate the ground area just outside the building. A fence surrounds the construction site. The only sign of life (or rather, death) is the existence of a few blood splatters and bloody wheelbarrow tracks.
Owner: Foreman Johnston
Notes: The foreman and a few other worker are lurking the area. They mainly keep off the first floor and stick to the shadows. They wield various tools as weapons (like sledgehammers) and don't hesitate to use them. If anyone happens upon the site, they ambush them, kill off any 'trouble' (imposing PCs) and incapacitate the others (and bring them to the upper floors to torment and eventually kill). They use wheelbarrows to quickly cart around victims.

Sorkin's Automotive
The car lot has a lot of empty spaces, due to looting. Most remaining cars have been vandalized by crazies, rendering them useless. Only a few cars are still driveable.
Owner: Andy Sorkin
Notes: Some of the cars are still on fire from the vandalization, and all of the windows to the show room have been shattered. The office contains many sets of car keys -> more than would be convenient. It will take a long time to find the keys to a driveable car.

Relecs
2010-03-31, 04:58 PM
Thanks these will add to my own locations.

My plan is now to run three mini campaigns

A campaign at the start where they will play average people starting out as the infection starts

A campaign where they will play military experts going in to the city to distribute the vaccine

A campaign in which they will be a group of survivors after the fall of society and will be trying to make there way to a legendary survivor colony.