PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Dorf Racial traits:

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-03-18, 01:39 AM
http://paizo.com/image/content/RiseOfTheRunelords/Harsk-DwarfIconic.jpg
"Who in the nth levels of the Abyss are ye callin' a 'dwarf'!? Daft, hairless moss-chewer..."
-Captain Hammer Alebeard to an ignorant elf.

Dorfs (according to those worth keeping in "the know") are to Dwarves what feral, rabid bulldogs are to trained mastiffs. This non-subterranean dwarven offshoot of surly, hard working, and hard drinking people are the descendants of an ancient dwarven culture that left the comforts underground in order to better utilize the resources of the surface. The Dorf nations are industrial powerhouses that gleefully compete with their larger dwarven cousins in a "sibling rivalry" based primarily on one-upping each other in the field of crafting goods that make the other races freak out about just how awesome their stuff is. Dorf cultures tend to celebrate their women, especially those that successfully "out-man" males (of any race) in direct competition. Such women are the supermodels and rock stars of their society, who's favor is always fiercely fought for by potential suitors.

Dorf (Humanoid):
+4 Strength, -4 Dexterity +2 Constitution, -2 Charisma. Dorfs are stronger than dwarves and have much more compact builds, but share their durability and social graces.

Size: As a small creature, a Dorf gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, however his lifting and carrying limits are those of a Medium creature due to his stocky frame.

Speed: Dorf base land speed is 20 feet. However, dorfs can move at this speed even when wearing medium or heavy armor or when carrying a medium or heavy load (unlike other creatures, whose speed is reduced in such situations).

Brute Force: Dorfs use their Strength modifier for attack and damage rolls with all crossbows and thrown weapons.

Low-Light Vision: A dorf can see twice as far as a human in starlight, moonlight, torchlight, and similar conditions of poor illumination. He retains the ability to distinguish color and detail under these conditions.

Powerful Build: The physical stature of dorfs lets them function in many ways as if they were one size category larger.

Whenever a dorf is subject to a size modifier, or special size modifier, for an opposed check (such as during grapple checks, bull rush attempts, and trip attempts), the dorf is treated as one size larger if doing so is advantageous to him.

A dorf is also considered to be one size larger when determining whether a creature’s special attacks based on size (such as improved grab or swallow whole) can affect him. A dorf can use weapons designed for a creature one size larger without penalty. However, his space and reach remain those of a creature of his actual size. The benefits of this racial trait stack with the effects of powers, abilities, and spells that change the subject’s size category.

Weapon Familiarity: Dorfs may treat light hammers, handaxes, light picks, and heavy picks as simple weapons, rather than martial weapons. In addition, they may also treat dwarven waraxes as martial weapons, rather than exotic weapons.

Stability: A dorf gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against poison.

+2 racial bonus on saving throws against spells and spell-like effects.

+4 dodge bonus to Armor Class against creatures at least one size category larger than them. Any time a dwarf loses his Dexterity bonus (if any) to Armor Class, such as when he’s caught flat-footed, he loses this dodge bonus as well.

+2 racial bonus on Appraise checks that are related to alcohol, creature remains, or metal items.

+2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to alcohol, creature remains, or metal.

Automatic Languages: Common and Dwarven. Bonus Languages: Draconic, Giant, Goblin, Orc, Sylvan, and Terran.

Favored Class: Warblade. A multiclass dorf’s warblade class does not count when determining whether he takes an experience point penalty for multiclassing.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright people, how can I add more dorf to the dorfs while keeping the race free of a pesky level adjustment?

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=145766

So, would there be a ... GANONDORF (http://zelda.wikia.com/wiki/Ganondorf)?!?

As a matter of fact... yes. Ganondorf is being designed as an (if not the primary) evil god in the upcoming Dorf pantheon. He will have many elf traits both personally and in regards to his portfolio and domains. :smalltongue:

herbe
2010-03-18, 03:23 AM
congratulation
I like it its more better than a dwarf
How they are created or breed by evolution or other creatures created them
something about their history....

+2 racial bonus on Craft checks that are related to alcohol, creature remains, or metal
great :smallsmile::smallsmile::smallsmile:

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-03-18, 03:32 AM
The torrid history and silly origins of this offshoot are currently in the works alongside the pantheon and potential class options. This started as a stress relief release for me, but has rapidly begun to evolve into a much more ambitious project. Glad you like what's up so far. :smalltongue:

Iferus
2010-03-18, 03:54 AM
What's the effect of being Small without the bonuses AND having Powerful build? That just makes them Medium...

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-03-18, 04:12 AM
Heh. I was going to leave them the default small traits, but I felt it best to test the waters and see how others reacted to the balance first. If said features were restored, Dorfs would have a default +3 to ac vs anything medium or larger (+1+4-2 from Dex).

herbe
2010-03-18, 01:24 PM
Brute Force: Dorfs use their Strength modifier for attack and damage rolls with all crossbows and thrown weapons.

Strenght bonus on crossbows? a bit confusing... how they can add it??

Cieyrin
2010-03-18, 04:11 PM
Strength bonus on crossbows? a bit confusing... how they can add it??

Exactly my thought, though perhaps that's a function of being able to set a heavier pull on the crossbow...

I also think being Small without the bonii and Powerful Build on top of that is rather weird. I mean, they way you have them set up, they're Small creatures with the carrying capacity of Large creatures, which is bizarre. I mean, what, are they muscularly similar to ants or something, able to lift many times their body weight without slowing down in the slightest?

The dodge anything bit seems more of a Gnome thing than a Dorf thing, as they can gain it via Titan Fighting (http://realmshelps.dandello.net/cgi-bin/feats.pl?Titan_Fighting), though against one target instead of all. Dorfs get hit with the axe and hit the poor infidel back twice as hard, at least that's how I see it should being.

Hadrian_Emrys
2010-03-18, 06:58 PM
Brute Force: Thematically speaking, while cranks do assist the loading process, one's strength still allows for greater tension on the pull. As far as aim goes, crossbows have always struck me as being less of a finesse weapon and more dependent upon holding the weapon steady while it fires. Mechanically speaking, the dps bump helps the underused weapons without making them a character's weapon of choice. That's the way I see it anyway, I imagine some play testing will show whether or not alterations need to be made in that area.

Size + Powerful Build: Unless the SRD version of PB is wrong (or I have misread something), it does not affect lift/carry. The intent is for Dorfs to be treated as medium in that equation, not large. Now, given that the lack of the natural small bonuses is that troubling to the collective, I have restored them. I just figured that they'd tip the scales too far into +1LA range. If this change is not met with a hue and cry, I suppose all is well. :smalltongue: