PDA

View Full Version : A Real-Life Vaarsuvius...?

JoseB
2010-03-18, 04:26 AM
Well, finally there is a person in the world who has been officially recognized as having no gender whatsoever... (http://www.starobserver.com.au/news/2010/03/17/norrie’s-may-well-be-the-first-of-their-kind/22790)

Highlights from that article:

"In January, doctors declared they could not categorise norrie as male or female, as norrie had no gonads, an atypical hormonal system and identified as neuter."

"Norrie received the ‘Sex Not Specified’ certificate in the post"

BUUUUT... After having a look at Norrie's pics, I have to say that I find Vaarsuvius cuter :smalltongue:

Other places with the news:

Daily Telegraph (UK) (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/7446850/Briton-is-recognised-as-worlds-first-officially-genderless-person.html)

The Scotsman (UK) (http://thescotsman.scotsman.com/scotland/Scot-Norrie-MayWelby-has-now.6150866.jp)

New York Daily News (US) (http://www.nydailynews.com/news/world/2010/03/16/2010-03-16_no_sex_for_me_please_extranssexual_briton_is_fi rst_legally_genderless_person.html)

The Usual Wikipedia Reference (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norrie_May-Welby)

Cizak
2010-03-18, 11:52 AM
Have a feeling this'll get locked or moved since it doens't really have anything to do with oots. It's like postinga picture of a bald, black guy and say "Hey! This guys looks like Roy, hence this thread is about oots!".

JoseB
2010-03-18, 12:26 PM
On the other hand, whereas there are plenty of bald black guys in the world, I don't think there has ever been someone officially acknowledged as having no gender whatsoever before...

I think that, therefore, it makes for a valid comparison with Vaarsuvius, given that V's main distinguishing characteristic (lack of gender, or at least lack of any way whatsoever to decide what V's gender is) is a pretty rare thing in real life.

Kaytara
2010-03-18, 12:28 PM
*looks at the Wikipedia article*

...I never thought to see the words "zie" and "hir" outside of fanforums. :smalleek: What is the world coming to? XD

Zanaril
2010-03-18, 12:46 PM
But V isn't confirmed as having no gender! V's gender is just unknown! (to everyone except - presumably - V and Inky).

Just because you don't know about something doesn't mean it doesn't exsist!

Comet
2010-03-18, 01:00 PM
*looks at the Wikipedia article*

...I never thought to see the words "zie" and "hir" outside of fanforums. :smalleek: What is the world coming to? XD

And it looks absolutely silly, to boot.
I do understand the need for gender-neutral terms in this instance, but c'mon. Zie? Who came up with these and what are they based on?

Zanaril
2010-03-18, 01:26 PM
Who came up with these and what are they based on?

Apparently, any consonant that isn't already used for a pronoun.

Asta Kask
2010-03-18, 01:38 PM
I do understand the need for gender-neutral terms in this instance, but c'mon. Zie? Who came up with these and what are they based on?

It is extremely difficult to create new function words and make them stick. Pronouns is usually a closed class; no new members allowed. So if this sticks, I'll be surprised.

Sholos
2010-03-18, 02:36 PM
"It" is gender neutral.

Shale
2010-03-18, 02:38 PM
But also refers to inanimate objects - some people get offended when you call their pets "it."

Sholos
2010-03-18, 02:39 PM
But also refers to inanimate objects - some people get offended when you call their pets "it."

Pets aren't traditionally gender-neutral, are they?

SensFan
2010-03-19, 01:28 AM
Forget pets, some people get upset when you refer to their cars/boats as "it".

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-19, 01:49 AM
News in today: NSW Births, Deaths and Marriages canceled (http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-news-national/norries-ungendered-status-withdrawn-20100318-qhw5.html) Norrie's gender neutrality.

martinkou
2010-03-19, 02:10 AM

They aren't. But it can be difficult for people to recognize your pet's gender on the first glance.

Katana_Geldar
2010-03-19, 03:57 AM
And with snakes it's very hard.

Raging Gene Ray
2010-03-19, 04:46 AM
And lizards. And chicks. I hear there's actually a job devoted entirely to sexing baby chicks (that means identifying their gender).

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-19, 08:51 AM
Ooooooh! :smallredface:

By the way, surgically changing a gender or choosing a gender, is not sufficient to make one gender "neutral". His DNA will continue to confirm Norrie is male no matter what he disguises himself as. It's not perfect, but as some atheletes have found, it's the best we have in a world where medicine can produce magic.

Ancalagon
2010-03-19, 08:56 AM
Can he/she/it also cast fireballs and wears red robes?

Snake-Aes
2010-03-19, 09:00 AM
Ooooooh! :smallredface:

By the way, surgically changing a gender or choosing a gender, is not sufficient to make one gender "neutral". His DNA will continue to confirm Norrie is male no matter what he disguises himself as. It's not perfect, but as some atheletes have found, it's the best we have in a world where medicine can produce magic.

That dwells deeply into the ethics and psichology of gender, as the dna alone hardly proves anything once you look at the exceptions.

Regardless... V is not gender neutral. V has a definite gender and orientation, we just happen not to know it.

Ancalagon
2010-03-19, 09:04 AM
Regardless... V is not gender neutral. V has a definite gender and orientation, we just happen not to know it.

He has? Origins of PCs indicates he's VERY aware of his own gender-ambiguity and even actively tries to evade the questions about it.
Remember the ink-blob in the "gender" part on the form? And the fact that Vaarsuvius bluntly evaded Roy's question about it indicates Vaarsuvius doesn't want that to be known - why? Because there is no clear answer to the question?

Snake-Aes
2010-03-19, 09:06 AM
He has? Origins of PCs indicates he's VERY aware of his own gender-ambiguity and even actively tries to evade the questions about it.
Remember the ink-blob in the "gender" part on the form? And the fact that Vaarsuvius bluntly evaded Roy's question about it indicates Vaarsuvius doesn't want that to be known - why? Because there is no clear answer to the question?

I think it's more plausible that V never cared much about gender differences(V's really aloof to that, and some of his replies about her personal life are as simple as "you never asked") and as so the gender blot was just the running gag.
It makes sense that he's evasive about it...but not because it's unclear, rather because she considers it irrelevant.

Ikialev
2010-03-19, 09:09 AM
It sounds like "sie", a german pronoun for "They".

Snake-Aes
2010-03-19, 09:12 AM
It sounds like "sie", a german pronoun for "They".

Sie's the formal form of he/she too, so it fits nicely. I don't see why break the spelling tho

Ikialev
2010-03-19, 10:01 AM
It's actually informal 'she' and formal 'you'. Also, it's more EZTREME with a Z.

Ancalagon
2010-03-19, 10:02 AM
Sie's the formal form of he/she too, so it fits nicely. I don't see why break the spelling tho

No, it's the formal form of "you". It's also possible in most cases to distunguish between "sie" for "them" and "Sie" for "formal you": one has a capital "S", the other does not.

Ancalagon
2010-03-19, 10:03 AM
It's actually informal 'she' and formal 'you'. Also, it's more EZTREME with a Z.

There is no german "sie" with a "z".

Xerxus
2010-03-19, 10:04 AM
What biological gender you have is entirely dependent upon your genes. XY means that you are biologically a male. So Norrie is (again, biologically) a male. But all other perspectives are subject to human interpretation.

Ancalagon
2010-03-19, 10:11 AM
Don't forget that genes are not binary and also don't forget hormones.

It's a gradual shift of gene-distribution and hormone equilibrium that makes you either this or that. But as biological systems are subject to a lot of variation, you can have people who are male by genes but female by horomes and vice versa - and that even assumes a "clear" distribution and distinction the gene-states - something that simply is not that clear in biological system.

If you talk to gay (both male or female) people most will tell you they did not "pick their orientation".

Xerxus
2010-03-19, 10:17 AM
The SRY-gene is the only thing determining sex in humans. Look it up

Ancalagon
2010-03-19, 10:25 AM

Biological systems as a whole aren't that simple. Look it up. If you throw psycology and sociology in the mix it gets even better.

derfenrirwolv
2010-03-19, 10:39 AM
If this had been biologically caused it might be an interesting analogy for how elves do it, but as it was surgical i can't see that being their model. (especially with polymorphs and girdles available)

Xerxus
2010-03-19, 10:58 AM
Yes but Im only talking about the purely biological perspective, as I so subtly implied earlier. :smallwink:

The Extinguisher
2010-03-19, 11:26 AM
ITT: People are confusing sex and gender.

Belkster11
2010-03-19, 11:41 AM
They aren't. But it can be difficult for people to recognize your pet's gender on the first glance.

All it takes is a glance between the dog/cat's legs. XD And if you didn't want to stick your hand down there, just ask the owner if the dog/cat is a boy/girl.

:D

Ancalagon
2010-03-19, 12:43 PM
Yes but Im only talking about the purely biological perspective, as I so subtly implied earlier. :smallwink:

It's not the entire story but it's the entire story that matters.

Faleldir
2010-03-19, 05:53 PM
I hope it plays Magic: The Gathering. Then it'd be immune to all cards that say "his or her".

derfenrirwolv
2010-03-19, 06:18 PM
All it takes is a glance between the dog/cat's legs. XD And if you didn't want to stick your hand down there, just ask the owner if the dog/cat is a boy/girl.

Well, if a male cats been neutered its probably hard to tell.

Capt Spanner
2010-03-20, 11:37 AM

I'm afraid it's not as simple as that. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intersex#Conditions)

There are several ways in which XX- or XY-genotype can lead to either male or female phenotypes. There are also some non-standard versions (XXY, XYY, XXX, X0) which can lead to ambiguously sexed people IRL.

And with snakes it's very hard.

Tell me about it. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0177.html)

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-20, 11:50 AM
[
There are several ways in which XX- or XY-genotype can lead to either male or female phenotypes. There are also some non-standard versions (XXY, XYY, XXX, X0) which can lead to ambiguously sexed people IRL.

Perhaps these are the exceptions that prove the rule...

Kish
2010-03-20, 11:55 AM
http://www.don-lindsay-archive.org/skeptic/arguments.html#proves_the_rule

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-20, 12:11 PM
Ooookay. I thought this was gonna be a natural no-gender. To medically neutralize yourself... c'mon. That's like saying, 'First human with two thumbs on each hand!'

Well... yes, if you chop a finger off and reattach a thumb to the stump you can get it.

Pfftt.

Forget pets, some people get upset when you refer to their cars/boats as "it".
My Grandmother has always had an unnerving tendency to refer to babies as 'its'.

'Aww, bless it!' or 'Ain't it precious'.

And lizards. And chicks. I hear there's actually a job devoted entirely to sexing baby chicks (that means identifying their gender).
*raises hand*

I did that for awhile. If you learn the signs usually don't even have to inspect the undersides. To save money on sexers they're also started creating 'sexlink' breeds that have a distinct color pattern between the hens and roosters as soon as they hatch. Hens go to the laying houses, roosters go to the broilers farms.

What's hard is guineafowl. Even professionals rarely can tell until they are a month old. That's when their voices change. Hens make one sound while the roosters another.

(Yeah, as I've said before, I know entirely too much about poultry)

ClockShock
2010-03-20, 12:17 PM
That's like saying, 'First human with two thumbs!'

You mean two thumbs on one hand, right?
Only i hope i'm not a medical marvel for having :: counts :: one, two thumbs.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-20, 12:22 PM
You mean two thumbs on one hand, right?
Only i hope i'm not a medical marvel for having :: counts :: one, two thumbs.
You... have one on each hand? Freak :smalleek:

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-20, 04:23 PM
(Yeah, as I've said before, I know entirely too much about poultry)

So what should I have with a nice merlot?

Ceaon
2010-03-22, 06:45 AM
(...) I hear there's actually a job devoted entirely to sexing baby chicks (...).

A "chick-sexer"?
I would totally be one if it wasn't for the "baby" part.
[/pubescent remark]

Scarlet Knight
2010-03-22, 10:16 AM
You... have one on each hand? Freak :smalleek:

I believe that's called being a member of the "metacarpally misaligned " community ....

maxon
2010-03-22, 02:24 PM

Nor are they inanimate - at least the last time I checked.