PDA

View Full Version : monk/dragon shaman?

bcrowls227
2010-03-18, 07:40 AM
Hey, I was wondering if a monk/shadowdancer would work. I am level ten in monk and have vow of poverty. I want to multiclass and dragon shaman seems like something cool. Any advice?

Kurald Galain
2010-03-18, 07:53 AM
"Would work" as what? What are your aims and goals for the build? Do you want to play a monastic guy? An unarmed combatant? A member of the class "monk"? Somebody who looks draconic?

In terms of power level, monk/dragon shaman/vow of poverty is pretty weak.

Optimystik
2010-03-18, 07:55 AM
Hey, I was wondering if a monk/shadowdancer would work.

Yes, though there are better base classes to use.

I am level ten in monk and have vow of poverty. I want to multiclass and dragon shaman seems like something cool. Any advice?

Just one: lose the vow!
Dragon Shaman is not a good dip - your aura bonus will be too low for the auras to be very good. What's your alignment?

Personally, I would suggest Incarnum (Totemist in particular) as your multiclass, for a huge damage boost and great synergy with your Vow if you decide to keep it.

Everyman
2010-03-18, 09:45 AM
Monk and Shadowdancer work fairly well together, though the effort of getting into the class is usually not worth it (very feat intensive). Like everyone else has asked, what are your goals? Are you trying to be sneaky and hard to find? Does the idea of teleporting appeal to you? What's your inspiration?

Also, how much experience do you have with supplements? There is a template (Dark) in Tome of Magic that gives you the ability to hide in shadows (and a magic item that grants the template). If you want to teleport, you could easily grab one of the teleporting items from the Magic Item Comp.

EDIT
Oh, and monk/dragon shaman is indeed a difficult combination. Especially since you'll need almost every ability score to be high (Str for unarmed damage, Con for hit points and breath weapon, Dex for AC, Wis for AC and monk abilities, Cha for dragon shaman abilities, Int for skill points).

Pluto
2010-03-18, 10:28 AM
If you can homebrew a multiclass feat for unarmed strikes, auras, lay on hands and stunning fist, it might be salvagable.

Ish.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-18, 10:32 AM
Monk and Shadowdancer work fairly well together, though the effort of getting into the class is usually not worth it (very feat intensive). Like everyone else has asked, what are your goals? Are you trying to be sneaky and hard to find? Does the idea of teleporting appeal to you? What's your inspiration?

Also, how much experience do you have with supplements? There is a template (Dark) in Tome of Magic that gives you the ability to hide in shadows (and a magic item that grants the template). If you want to teleport, you could easily grab one of the teleporting items from the Magic Item Comp.

EDIT
Oh, and monk/dragon shaman is indeed a difficult combination. Especially since you'll need almost every ability score to be high (Str for unarmed damage, Con for hit points and breath weapon, Dex for AC, Wis for AC and monk abilities, Cha for dragon shaman abilities, Int for skill points).

couldn't you cut out the wis and int via what ever feat that basis monk abilities on charisma... i think its carmadine.

that way you would only need str>Cha>CON>dex>wis/int

Optimystik
2010-03-18, 10:39 AM
couldn't you cut out the wis and int via what ever feat that basis monk abilities on charisma... i think its carmadine.

that way you would only need str>Cha>CON>dex>wis/int

Carmendine is Int (as is Kung-Fu Genius.) The one you're thinking of for Cha is Ascetic Mage :smallsmile:

Godskook
2010-03-18, 10:52 AM
Carmendine is Int (as is Kung-Fu Genius.) The one you're thinking of for Cha is Ascetic Mage :smallsmile:

Accept it only works on the AC bonus, iirc.

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-18, 11:24 AM

my bad. I thought there was another one for charisma? hmm mabye im thinking of paladins not sure. thansk though

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-18, 11:28 AM
Personally, I would suggest Incarnum (Totemist in particular) as your multiclass, for a huge damage boost and great synergy with your Vow if you decide to keep it.

It's going to hurt him if he has more than 4 levels in Monk, though I agree that Totemist would be the most optimal multiclass for a VoP Monk. He'd get several potential abilities similar to the Shadowdancer's Hide in Plain Sight feature, and he'd also have access to Breath Weapons/Flight at will (amongst other goodies).

Everyman
2010-03-18, 11:33 AM
Totemist would be a good fit by itself. I just wonder whether or not its even available to him, let alone if he's ever used it.

bcrowls227
2010-03-18, 02:01 PM
ok thanks this totemist idea seems alot better.

Optimystik
2010-03-18, 02:29 PM
Accept it only works on the AC bonus, iirc.

That's really all he needs, since wearing armor will apply a penalty to his hide/move silently. His flurry will suck and he won't need stunning fist.

Thurbane
2010-03-18, 09:29 PM
Monk/dragon shaman would be one of the most MAD builds you could come up with. Only Monk/Warmage would be more MAD off the top of my head (although you could dump WIS with Carmadine Monk or Kung Fu Genius, I suppose).

For an off-the-wall suggestion, how about a single classed Binder, or Binder/KotSS? The vestige Ronove is very Monk-like. If you go Binder into KotSS, and take Ronove as your favored vestige, might be a decent thematic fit, and not terribly underpowered. With Ronove's "Far Hand" ability, Master of the Unseen Hand might even be an option (would probably require DM handwave, though).