PDA

View Full Version : Reducing psionic XP costs

Trekkin
2010-03-18, 09:41 AM
I've been working on a psionic character, and it occurs to me that much of what I'd like to be able to do, ideally, is constrained by XP cost. Thus I come to the most informative forum I know to ask for ways of reducing the XP cost of manifesting powers with one, short of being a psionic artificer and just making items to replicate the use of powers.

Also, is the 3.5 Psion Buildguide and Compendium at brilliantgameologists.com correct in its statement that certain readings of Linked Power allow it to remove the XP cost?

Optimystik
2010-03-18, 09:43 AM
BoVD gives ways of paying for XP costs using pain and souls... if you're into that sort of thing.

Trekkin
2010-03-18, 09:46 AM
Even for powers/spells?

KellKheraptis
2010-03-18, 09:51 AM
Said reading is that you only pay the pp cost of the linked power. I.e. no xp. Optimystik is right on the Pain idea, too.

alchemyprime
2010-03-18, 10:13 AM
I've been working on a psionic character, and it occurs to me that much of what I'd like to be able to do, ideally, is constrained by XP cost. Thus I come to the most informative forum I know to ask for ways of reducing the XP cost of manifesting powers with one, short of being a psionic artificer and just making items to replicate the use of powers.

Also, is the 3.5 Psion Buildguide and Compendium at brilliantgameologists.com correct in its statement that certain readings of Linked Power allow it to remove the XP cost?

There was a variant I read somewhere that I implement into my games for psionicists (ie. manifesters, I just like the 2e name) who don't want to use up extra XP for a power, or who want to use Metapsionics without having the feat/spending the PP.

This was Crystallized Memory and Metacrystals, respectively. Since Crystal Mem is what we need today, I'll go over that.

In my campaign world, you can buy emotions from people for the use of personal pleasure. Buy a happy and calm memory to relive their experience. Kind of like a cross between the patches from the New New Earth episodes of Doctor Who and a pensieve from Harry Potter.

Well, sometimes adventurers need a little extra cash after getting too injured to keep going. They can sell their memories to a catcher (the type of merchant for this) and the catcher crystallizes the memory, and normally charges 5gp per 1 XP the crystal is worth (they just know).

So you need to pay 100 xp for that one power you love, but you don't want to spend your own? Buy some Crystalized Memory and drain it as you go! Great for casters, artificers and psionicists alike!

Just a thought. Run that by your DM, see if it's feasible. :smallwink:

And the Metacrystals? I took the Metamagic Components from UA, decided on one gem per discipline and that it needed to be attuned to a power and a feat. But beyond that, it pays the difference in points for you for one use. Fun gems to use.

Trekkin
2010-03-18, 10:42 AM
Crystal Memory is an absolutely fantastic idea, and I'll probably end up suggesting it in future games. Unfortunately, our DM is new, and I'd rather not hit him with any suggested houserules straight off. I was rather hoping for a RAW means of removing/reducing XP costs.

Seriously though, I'm suggesting that later, using it in my own games...just thank you for a brilliant idea.

Aharon
2010-03-18, 10:45 AM
Assuming online material found here (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/psm/20031225a) is allowed, you can use Tattoos in conjunction with a capacitor for a reduced rate - you pay once, but have an indefinite number of uses.

Kirgoth
2010-03-18, 11:58 PM
Psychic reformat your thralls / xp slaves / loyal followers to have wild talent so they are psionic characters. Cast metaconcert, cast spell requiring XP, you pay 1/10th the XP and the 9 others pay 1/10th each. When they burn out of xp replace them.

Your 1/10th xp get through the willing sacrifice of your thralls after xp burnout to some dark god if possible.

Kelb_Panthera
2010-03-19, 01:25 AM
For completeness sake, BoED has the rules for concentrated joy, as a direct complement to the BoVD's rules for concentrated pain. See, you don't have to be evil to get free xp. :smallbiggrin: