PDA

View Full Version : Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 3rd Edition

Maerok
2010-03-18, 11:44 AM
I've been looking over WFRP for a while now and don't know if I'll pick it up or not. I'll have to familiarize myself with the Warhammer setting first to see if I like it or not.

One criticism I've heard is that the spin Fantasy Flight put on it has essentially turned it into a board game. I'm rather partial to this format as the presentation looks very high quality (Fantasy Flight, along with Rio Grande, is one of my favorite gaming companies) and I haven't seen an RP game presented in this format before.

Do you think that the 'board game' aspects add to or detract from the roleplaying game as a whole? I could see how 2nd and 1st edition fans might not like it and in that case it's probably akin to the DnD 4th Edition upset in that respect.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-18, 11:55 AM
I haven't played in forever, but I've heard about some of the changes they made in 3rd. I've been wanting to pick it up myself.

2nd was a blast to RP, but combat was brutal (the modules are fairly difficult, though it may have been because the GM was also the owner of the game store we played in, and I've heard he makes things harder intentionally to improve profits). It also has my personal bible 2nd favorite book, the Liber Chaotica. From what I know, that book should be perfectly compatible with the new edition (considering that book was entirely Fluff).

comicshorse
2010-03-18, 12:29 PM
The fact that the box is huge, the bits are easily lost and it costs 80 quid didn't indear it to me

RagnaroksChosen
2010-03-18, 01:10 PM
I've never know it to feel like a board game... IT doesn't even feel like the wargame to be honest. Ya some of the stats are the same but hardly.

Thats like compairing call of cathulu(which i think it feels similar to) to monopoly.

randomhero00
2010-03-18, 02:25 PM
I have little personal experience with it, so grain of salt and all that.

Warhammer anything is awesomesauce. Some of the best lore out there. My main problem of course has been with price, like most of mentioned. But its one of those things, pay for quality, and you get it.

Other than that, my actual advice would be to go to used gaming stores/book stores and look for the game there. It'll be half the price. That's what my friend did when we wanted to play that huge WoW board game. He traded in some of his stuff he was sick of, and was like "I want that!" basically got it for free from his perspective.

Maerok
2010-03-18, 05:35 PM
The fact that the box is huge, the bits are easily lost and it costs 80 quid didn't indear it to me

Having Arkham Horror and all the big box expansions, I can vouch that easy-to-lose bits and small cards are Fantasy Flight's specialty. But they do it so well.

The thing is, I have a lot of gift cards to Amazon. So it's a toss up between:
WFRP
Dominion(:Intrigue)
Smallworld
Carcassonne
Puerto Rico
etc.

Project_Mayhem
2010-03-18, 07:14 PM
I had a look at it in my local store, but to be honest it just seems so unnecessary. I didn't really notice anything wrong with 2nd ed. :smallfrown:

And sooo expensive!

Maerok
2010-03-21, 08:19 PM
I don't think it's any less expensive than one copy of the DMG, one MM, and one copy of the PHB for each player. Then add in supplements, etc.. The 3rd edition set is a group-buy sort of set-up.