PDA

View Full Version : To Be a Master (PEACH)

Rhandoam
2010-03-18, 12:27 PM
Monster Master
"I wanna be the very best, like no one ever was!"
-A bard singing a tale about a Monster Master

Specializing in training the monsters of the world, the monster master is himself barely worth notice. The real power comes from the powers and abilities of the creatures he commands, as such they may fill any niche that is necessary depending on the creature and its move set.

Alignment: Any
Starting Age: Simple
Hit Die: 6

{table]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
level 1|+0|+0|+2|+0|Animal Companion, Craft Capture Ball, Point Blank Shot
level 2|+1|+0|+3|+0|Track, Wild Empathy
level 3|+1|+1|+3|+1|Teach TM
level 4|+2|+1|+4|+1|Precise Shot
level 5|+2|+1|+4|+1|Craft Specialty Capture Ball
level 6|+3|+2|+5|+2|Apply Type Packs
level 7|+3|+2|+5|+2|Expert Thrower
level 8|+4|+2|+6|+2|Woodland Stride
level 9|+4|+3|+6|+3|Craft Improved Capture Ball
level 10|+5|+3|+7|+3
level 11|+5|+3|+7|+3|Double Battle
level 12|+6/+1|+4|+8|+4
level 13|+6/+1|+4|+8|+4|Camouflage
level 14|+7/+2|+4|+9|+4|Craft Greater Capture Ball
level 15|+7/+2|+5|+9|+5
level 16|+8/+3|+5|+10|+5
level 17|+8/+3|+5|+10|+5|Hide in Plain Sight
level 18|+9/+4|+6|+11|+6
level 19|+9/+4|+6|+11|+6
level 20|+10/+5|+6|+12|+6|Craft Master Capture Ball
[/table]

Class Features
Weapon Proficiency: Masters are proficient with all thrown weapons

Armor Proficiency: Masters are proficient in light armor

Class Skills: (4 + Int modifier per level, x4 at first level)
Ride (Dex), Craft (Int), Knowledge (nature) (Int), Knowledge (arcana) (Int), Knowledge (dungeoneering) (Int), Knowledge (psionics) (Int), Knowledge (religion) (Int), Knowledge (the planes) (Int), Profession (Wis), Handle Animal (Cha), Survival (Wis), Heal (Wis), Concentration (Con)

Special: Animal Companion: The Master gains one animal from the druid animal companion list, the companion is already assigned to a regular capture ball. Before a creature can be used in Battle it must first be released from its ball, lower level Masters do not have the experience necessary to command more than one monster at a time, attempting to do so will meet with a violent reaction from the monsters and is not recommended.

Craft Capture Ball: The Master can create a capture ball with a successful DC 10 craft check, the Master can create one ball per day for every five ranks of craft (if they have less than five ranks they can only create one)
Capture Ball: When a monster is struck with this item it must make a will save based on their health if they have >50% health they must save against a DC of 5, < 25% they must save versus a DC of 15, < 10% health they must save versus a DC of 20. If the monster fails its save it is captured and permanently loses all of its Supernatural, Spell like, and Psi like abilities. The regular capture ball works only on Plant, Animal, Magical Beast, and Vermin type creatures.

Point Blank Shot: At first level the Master gains the point blank shot feat.

Track: Same as the Ranger ability

Wild Empathy: Same as the Druid ability

Teach TM: The Master can teach a monster how to use certain easily teachable magic (TM's) with a successful Handle Animal check (DC 15) the monster can learn a maximum of four TM's before it is forced to forget an old one, regardless of its normal ability for learning.

Precise Shot: The Master gains the precise shot feat at level 4.

Craft Specialty Capture Ball: The master can create a specialty cpature ball with a successful craft check (DC 20), the master can create one ball per day for every 10 ranks of craft
Specialty Capture Ball: Same as the normal capture ball except that it works only on one non-humanoid creature type (chosen during creation), additionally the DC the creature needs to save against increases to DC 10 for > 50% health, DC 20 for < 25%, and DC 25 for < 10%.

Apply Type Packs: If a monster doesn't have a subtype, you may apply any one of the following subtype's to it: Air, Aquatic, Fire, Incorporeal, Cold, or Earth

Expert Thrower: The Master receives a +5 to hit when throwing a weapon

Woodland Stride: Same as the Druid ability

Craft Improved Capture Ball: With a successful DC 25 craft check the master can create an improved capture ball, the master can create one ball a day for every 15 ranks of craft
Improved Capture Ball: Same as the normal capture ball, except it works on any non-humanoid creature type

Double Battle: The master can control two monsters at a time instead of the normal one

Camouflage: Same as the ranger ability

Craft Greater Capture Ball: With a successful DC 30 craft check the master can create a greater capture ball, the master can create one ball a day for every 30 ranks of craft
Greater Capture Ball: Same as the Improved capture ball, except the DC's are increased to DC 10 for >50%, DC 20 for < 25% health, and for < 10% health the monster needs a natural 20

Hide in Plain Sight: Same as the ranger ability

Craft Master Ball: With a successful DC 50 craft check one master ball is created, regardless of ranks in craft, the master can only create one master ball per month
Master Ball: The master ball will catch any creature with less than 50% health without fail, for creatures with >50% health it must pass a DC 50 will save or be captured

Rhandoam
2010-03-18, 12:28 PM
<reserved for tm's>

D Knight
2010-03-18, 09:00 PM
OK first off this looks like you r trying to emulate Pokemon and might i add your are doing a good job. But what is the range of the Monster Ball. Also how many monsters are you allowed to have at any one time and do they level. if so then what do they get for the level.

Temotei
2010-03-18, 10:16 PM
I like how you can't use craft greater capture ball until 27th level and you have to wait until 12th level to craft improved capture balls. You also have to wait until 7th level to craft specialty capture balls.

JKTrickster
2010-03-18, 10:33 PM
Wow I seriously like the concept! :smallbiggrin:

Just wondering, even though you capture the said creatures...nothing actually compel them to work with you. A Monster Master actually only captures, but doesn't have any special training abilities....

Just to give some ideas :smallwink:

Rhandoam
2010-03-19, 08:05 AM
OK first off this looks like you r trying to emulate Pokemon and might i add your are doing a good job. But what is the range of the Monster Ball.

How does a 20 foot range sound?

Also how many monsters are you allowed to have at any one time and do they level. if so then what do they get for the level.

I have been thinking about increasing the number of monsters you are allowed to carry by one every few levels until you have, lets say six. As for levelling, i'm going to say that it would level at the same rate/time as its master and probably have them keep advancing in whatever class they had when captured. although a paladin wolf sounds pretty cool

Just wondering, even though you capture the said creatures...nothing actually compel them to work with you. A Monster Master actually only captures, but doesn't have any special training abilities....

Well they are supposed to act as an animal companion, unless i'm reading this wrong and you're saying that they should have to domesticate the animal first which is worth consideration.

I like how you can't use craft greater capture ball until 27th level and you have to wait until 12th level to craft improved capture balls. You also have to wait until 7th level to craft specialty capture balls.

I think I may have had a brain-fart when I was making the skill check DC's :smallredface:

Flickerdart
2010-03-19, 08:57 AM
Add a cost to the Capture Balls (200GP for the basic one, and I forget the rest). You should also add a clause that a monster must be conscious to be captured, define the mechanical effects of capture (as per the imprisonment spell, for example) and a mechanic for level-up of the creatures.

Drakor
2010-12-07, 08:48 PM
Did you have an ideal for the TM's?

gkathellar
2010-12-07, 09:14 PM
Ahem.

I wanna be the very best
Like no one ever was
To catch them is my real test
To train them is my cause

I will travel across the hobby store
Searching far and wide
For Monster Manuals to understand
The power that's inside

Monster Manuals
Gotta catch 'em all --
It's the cashier and me
I know it's my destiny

Monster Manuals!
Ooooh, you're a DM's best friend
In a world we must defend

Monster Manuals!
Gotta catch 'em all --
These pages so true
Our courage will pull us through
You teach me and I'll read you

Monster Manuals!
Gotta catch 'em all!
Monster Manuals!

That is all.

AtlanteanTroll
2010-12-07, 09:16 PM
Thank goodness this is about Pokemon. That song started to play in my head when I read the title!

*Goes back to read actual article*

Vaynor
2010-12-07, 09:34 PM
The Red Towel: Thread necromancy.