PDA

View Full Version : There's a hole in mah AMF!

BenTheJester
2010-03-18, 06:53 PM
I don't get why a lot of people suggest creating a hole in an antimagic field(through metamagic, or any other mean), so you can cast freely, while being unaffected by other spells/Su.

Antimagic Field suppresses, not dispel spells. So, if you cast a fireball from one side to the other side, it will simply disappear when entering the AMF, and come out on the other side.

If you create a hole in your AMF, anyone will be able to target his fireball at you.

The only advantage I see is being immuned to melee attacks from summons.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-18, 07:07 PM
I happen to agree with you, but some people who are obviously wrong argue that AMF blocks LoS.

Lord Vukodlak
2010-03-18, 07:12 PM
Until it was actually clarified people simply assumed an AMF would stop Line of effect for instantaneous spells. The logic being the fireball enters the AMF and is suppressed but because it has no duration the effect simply ends. After all time spent within an antimagic field counts against the suppressed spell’s duration.

I can recall the heated and long topics on the subject, until it was officially cleared up.

Foryn Gilnith
2010-03-18, 07:14 PM
Melee people attacking you lose most of their buffs (e.g. flight). Casters who noticed the antimagic field won't think to cast a fireball into it.

boomwolf
2010-03-18, 07:15 PM
Arguably, any magic required to "pass through" the AMF would fail and get stuck, making fireballs, rays and stuff useless for both sides. that is because while you could say it fly in, "suppressed" and fly out, but can it actually MOVE while suppressed? does it even continue to exists?

Yes, it protects against most magic attacks as good as a normal field. the real benefit is you can use instant-impact spells. ones not required to have a "path" to the target. but you can get hit by them too.

Fact is, no matter what you rule as "right" and what is "wrong", anything can you can fire out can be fired in back at you.

Private-Prinny
2010-03-18, 07:15 PM
Casters who noticed the antimagic field won't think to cast a fireball into it.

At least not until you cast something and they find out that you're still vulnerable.

Crow
2010-03-18, 08:20 PM
The Anti-Magic Field with a hole in it is primarily useful for Gish-types. They can roll on up (or fly, or teleport, or whatever) next to their target, temporarily demolish all of his buffs, enhancement bonuses, etc... and unleash the fury at a suddenly mundane target.