PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 New Campaing, new PC, what to play???

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-18, 08:02 PM
My group has decided to give our Eberron campaing a rest, and decicided to start a new one, the thing is that I don't know what to play this time.

Normally I play skillmonkeys, but I am a bit sick of them, so I a come to ask for the insight of the playground on this issue.

For start we generate stat by 4d6b3, flaws are optionals but the HAVE to affect the character (no shaky for a great axe wielding barbarian for example).

We haven't decided starting ECL but most probably it will be between 3 and 5

I don't know the party composition yet, but I think one player was going paladin into justiciar, and a buff bot cleric.

I have got access to most books so feel free to go wild; but please cite the books.

Mongoose87
2010-03-18, 08:05 PM
Warforged Warblade. It's got twice as much war as a regular Warblade.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-18, 08:14 PM
Warforged Warblade. It's got twice as much war as a regular Warblade.

Oh no, not one of these again. Soon we'll be talking about how much war can fit into one character. As if we didn't already have enough bears and dragons... :smallbiggrin:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-18, 08:16 PM
Warforged warblade/cleric with war domain/going into war mind
using a warhammer and riding a warbeast

hows much war is that?

Curmudgeon
2010-03-18, 08:21 PM
For something different, try a Favored Soul of Kossuth. You get free

Exotic Weapon Proficiency (spiked chain)
Weapon Focus (spiked chain)
Weapon Specialization (spiked chain)
and of course all the caster goodness.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-18, 08:23 PM
Who is Kossuth? is he a FR god? and how viable a FS would do as a tripper?

Mongoose87
2010-03-18, 08:23 PM
Isn't Kossuth distinctly non-existent in Eberron?

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-18, 08:25 PM
Isn't Kossuth distinctly non-existent in Eberron?

This campaing (probably) won't be in eberron.

Mongoose87
2010-03-18, 08:27 PM
Ack misread that "a rest." Ignore that post.

hotel_papa
2010-03-18, 08:33 PM
Try a Changeling Factotum. See if your DM will let it become a Chameleon. Either way, still the ultimate infiltrator. Nothing quite like casting an arcane spell as a circumstance bonus to your disguise as a wizard. Or healing someone to pose as a paladin. Loads of fun.

I know you said no skill-monkeys, but a Factotum with knowledge skills, the Knowledge Devotion feat and a liberal application of Font of Inspiration can be a phenomenal display of brains over brawn in a fight.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-18, 08:40 PM
Try a Changeling Factotum. See if your DM will let it become a Chameleon. Either way, still the ultimate infiltrator. Nothing quite like casting an arcane spell as a circumstance bonus to your disguise as a wizard. Or healing someone to pose as a paladin. Loads of fun.

I know you said no skill-monkeys, but a Factotum with knowledge skills, the Knowledge Devotion feat and a liberal application of Font of Inspiration can be a phenomenal display of brains over brawn in a fight.

I'll consider that, but how about this.
Human Factotum
(ab)use Iajutsu Focus and gnomish quickrazor
enter into Iajutsu master (if my dm rules only Katana, there is aptitude enchantment to fall back on)
Max Knowledge skills and power Knowlege devotion.

Volkov
2010-03-18, 08:41 PM
Oh no, not one of these again. Soon we'll be talking about how much war can fit into one character. As if we didn't already have enough bears and dragons... :smallbiggrin:

I'll see your excessive wars, and raise you one Czin the Death god....With the power of the last word.

Curmudgeon
2010-03-18, 09:12 PM
how viable a FS would do as a tripper?
Spells help. You can get Foundation of Stone at level 1 to resist counter-trips (something that Improved Trip distinctly doesn't help), and Bull's Strength is level 2.

deuxhero
2010-03-18, 09:21 PM
A Pathfinder Summoner is fun if the DM allows it.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-18, 09:24 PM
A Pathfinder Summoner is fun if the DM allows it.

Are they in the pathfinder SRD?

also silly question to ask but ise there a fighter handbook? I am considering a tripper build

adecoy95
2010-03-19, 08:08 AM
druid is good if you have access to the spell compendium, you get:

a full caster
a good fuzzy (or slimy) ally
wild shape (you can cast in any form with natural spell) for mobility or combat
you never need to concern yourself with prestige classes if you dont want to.

i would go wild, but i might go a little too wild lol, druids are really cool

Totally Guy
2010-03-19, 08:30 AM
A gimmicky gish! I always have fun with those, but they take a while to establish themselves.

What would likely be the highest level the campaign might reach?

Duskranger
2010-03-19, 08:40 AM

hows much war is that?

Needs more dragon :smalltongue:

Totally Guy
2010-03-19, 08:45 AM

hows much war is that?

You need War-nuts to make a War-dwarf salad!

Duskranger
2010-03-19, 08:47 AM
Actually I would suggest something like a PHB2 class. I really enjoy the looks of the Duskblade, and a dragon shaman is fun to play.

But it's what you would prefer.

deuxhero
2010-03-19, 09:17 AM
Are they in the pathfinder SRD?

Yes (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/extras/advanced-player-s-guide-playtest/summoner). Be sure to cherry pick the version you use. The versions have a HUGE power gap between them (early verisons get the best wizard spells at the same time as a sorcerer with a fighter as a class feature, while the newest is horribly nerfed)

Everyman
2010-03-19, 09:19 AM
Since you have both a paladin and cleric in the party, your group is pretty set on melee force. You don't want to play a skillmonkey.
I'd say go with a mage of some sort. Since I don't know what kind of characters appeal to you, I can't offer much more advice than that regarding arcanists.

Alternatively, you might want to try playing a different "system" than normal. Incarnum and binders are a blast to play (Totemists are my favorite).

Amphetryon
2010-03-19, 09:33 AM
I'd vote Dread Necromancer, but the Paladin will probably take umbrage.

Consider a Warlock headed to Sentinel of Bharrai in BoED(sp). Cavalry of Dire Bears for the win.

deuxhero
2010-03-19, 10:57 AM
Oh, try a Beguiler. It fits both the mage and skill monkey roles.

Telonius
2010-03-19, 11:31 AM

hows much war is that?

Needs one level of Warlock.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-19, 11:45 AM
First of all thanks for the replies

@Deux Hero: I'll try to find the original version of the summoner and see how it is also as I said no more skill monkeys for me, at least in this campaing

@adecoy95: hmm druids never played one except in a one shot.

@Duskranger: Meh I am banned to play Duskblades (my first optimized character was a duskblade, one-shot to the boss of the session) besides If I don't play skill monkeys I play gishes.

@Everyman: Totemist are fun but as you said we have too much meele power... though a ranged totemist built (ab)using manticore's belt and Necklace of natural attacks sounds tempting

@Amphetryon: concerning dread necro I have one as a Back up character in the eberron campaing we are giving a rest so no.
Bear calvary..... sounds beary amusing
(OK I can't make puns)

Everyman
2010-03-19, 11:54 AM
Ranged totemist are a lot of fun, but I have to admit that melee totemists are better. The difference in the number of melee soulmelds versus ranged ones is just huge.

Maybe you should consider something classic, like a wizard. Sure, it isn't the wildest idea, but between the roles that your group is covering and the fact you want to avoid skillmonkeys (and apparently melee)...well...I don't see too many other options.

Of course, there are more than enough PrCs to help customize it to your tastes. If you did go with a mage, what kind of abilities would you like?

adecoy95
2010-03-19, 11:56 AM
@adecoy95: hmm druids never played one except in a one shot.

your missing out, the trick is to find good animal forms, the fleshraker from monster manual 3 is a good start at 5th level.

not to mention that druids get access to nothing short of the coolest spell ever, extract water elemental, it may not be super powerful, but it oozes flavor

Amphetryon
2010-03-19, 12:03 PM
@Amphetryon: concerning dread necro I have one as a Back up character in the eberron campaing we are giving a rest so no.
Bear calvary..... sounds beary amusing
(OK I can't make puns)
Warlock/SoB is a fun one; I have a level 13 statted out.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-19, 12:07 PM
your missing out, the trick is to find good animal forms, the fleshraker from monster manual 3 is a good start at 5th level.

not to mention that druids get access to nothing short of the coolest spell ever, extract water elemental, it may not be super powerful, but it oozes flavor

I know druids are powerful, I am pretty familiar with the tier system, and I am an average (at my best) optimizer, so I know the raw power Druid have at their beck and call; but I don't want to play one. Thanks for the suggestion any way.

@Everyman: I am not sure, apart from the occasional gish I don't play full casters.

Ormagoden
2010-03-19, 12:18 PM

Did someone mention bears?

Darth Stabber
2010-03-19, 12:39 PM
Needs one level of Warlock.

And a level of Warrior. and a Wartortle
http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:7narkN0bbyH23M:http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hkfSNfaVrQ8/SW3WWw19RWI/AAAAAAAAAmE/RsIKxjnR_aI/s400/wartortle.gif

Gametime
2010-03-19, 12:50 PM
+1 to Warlock/Sentinel of Bharrai. Bears shooting Eldritch Blasts is always a good time.

You may have said you're not a caster person somewhere, but if you are, how about Malconvoker?

Darth Stabber
2010-03-19, 12:58 PM
I try not to miss an opportunity to plug Dragon Shaman(phb2). Fun mix of special abilities including breath weapon.

Duskranger
2010-03-20, 03:35 AM
I try not to miss an opportunity to plug Dragon Shaman(phb2). Fun mix of special abilities including breath weapon.

Agrees with above. Only sad thing is that there aren't really good PrC for Dragon Shaman. By the way ever looked at a Dragonfire Adept. It's also something that can really put the fire in DragonFire

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2010-03-20, 06:38 AM
Spellhoarding, Dragonwrought Kobold, Loredrake, Stalwart Battle Sorcerer, with the Greater Draconic Rite of Passage
Maybe go with a (Savage (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#bardVariantSavageBard) ) Bard and focus on Inspire Courage. Use a bow and get Wild Cohort (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/re/20031118a) and maybe Obtain Familiar + Improved Familiar. If your party needs a skillmonkey, dip one level of Spellthief to get Trapfinding. Grab a level of Warblade and go into Sublime Chord and Abjurant Champion. Definitely get Melodic Casting and Song of the Heart, and consider taking Master Spellthief for caster level stacking shenanigans with Sublime Chord. Start off with a Badge of Valor and get Inspirational Boost on your spell list. You could even make it a Silverbrow Human from Dragon Magic and get Dragonfire Inspiration, though the bonus to hit from the standard Inspire Courage would be preferable.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-20, 06:55 AM
Play a Binder, going into Beholder Mage/Tainted Scholar/Ur-Priest/Mystic Theurge/Contemplative/Dweomerkeeper.

Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7820957&postcount=49) Also use a Ritual of Alignment (Savage Species) to gain the [Evil] subtype.

:tongue:

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-20, 12:32 PM
Play a Binder, going into Beholder Mage/Tainted Scholar/Ur-Priest/Mystic Theurge/Contemplative/Dweomerkeeper.

Here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=7820957&postcount=49) Also use a Ritual of Alignment (Savage Species) to gain the [Evil] subtype.

:tongue:

....Magic9mushroom, your build is awesome but we are talking about a group who were appalled by a Power Attacking duskblade using Vampiric touch and Arcane strike (pretty standar I am sure) so a Beholder mage is pushing things too far.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-20, 12:37 PM

Except a bard does everything that it does, but better. (Except for a breath weapon of course, but that can be dealt with)

If you really want to be a dragon shaman, go Dragonfire Adept with a dragonblooded race, and pick up draconic aura. Less aura versatility, but just as much power, and you're a Dragonfire Adept as well.

the humanity
2010-03-20, 12:50 PM
play a Beguiler who's afraid of magic, but doesn't realize what he does is magic. that'd be fun.

Darth Stabber
2010-03-20, 01:15 PM
Tibbit rogue, no one will ever suspect that the cat murdered the entire town. mwah ha ha hah cough. hairball.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-20, 01:23 PM
Tibbit rogue, no one will ever suspect that the cat murdered the entire town. mwah ha ha hah cough. hairball.

Tibbits are from the Dragon Compendium right?.... maybe I'll do a Tibbit warlock.. with a splash of rogue (or spellthief) for SA goodness.

Harperfan7
2010-03-20, 01:43 PM
Play a cleric of war, strength, destruction, or something similar. That'd be pretty opposite of a skillmonkey.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-20, 01:49 PM
....Magic9mushroom, your build is awesome but we are talking about a group who were appalled by a Power Attacking duskblade using Vampiric touch and Arcane strike (pretty standar I am sure) so a Beholder mage is pushing things too far.

That is why there is a large smiley there.

Pluto
2010-03-20, 02:00 PM
Monk/Soulknife:
Come on. You know you want to.

Dusk Eclipse
2010-03-20, 02:59 PM
Monk/Soulknife:
Come on. You know you want to.

Alredy done so in a level 17 campaing (I was young and ignorant to the ways of optimizing)