PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Medium Character with 20 foot natural reach. Best options?

jokey665
2010-03-18, 10:07 PM
I'm planning on using a Spiked Chain and taking 3 levels of Knight as well as Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, Mage Slayer, and Evasive Reflexes. What else will help me dominate the battlefield?

gallagher
2010-03-18, 10:10 PM
I'm planning on using a Spiked Chain and taking 3 levels of Knight as well as Improved Trip, Combat Reflexes, Mage Slayer, and Evasive Reflexes. What else will help me dominate the battlefield?grab a pair of strongarm bracers. 6000 gp, allows you to use a weapon one size larger.

Flickerdart
2010-03-18, 10:44 PM
Weapon size doesn't increase reach, though. He has to increase size himself, and he wants to stay Medium. Enlarge Person would really help you though. Aberrant Reach adds on 5 feet of reach but needs, I think, another feat to qualify for it.

jokey665
2010-03-18, 10:48 PM
Weapon size doesn't increase reach, though. He has to increase size himself, and he wants to stay Medium. Enlarge Person would really help you though. Aberrant Reach adds on 5 feet of reach but needs, I think, another feat to qualify for it.

I'm already using Aberrant Reach as part of my shtick to hit 20'. And I can't use Enlarge Person/Expansion because one of my feats has prerequisite: medium, so the feat would go away while the spell/power is active.

gallagher
2010-03-18, 10:51 PM
I'm already using Aberrant Reach as part of my shtick to hit 20'. And I can't use Enlarge Person/Expansion because one of my feats has prerequisite: medium, so the feat would go away while the spell/power is active.

knockdown requires a 4 BAB or something, and improved trip, but if you cause 10 damage in melee you are entitled to a free trip attempt.

this doesnt give you a free attack if you trip though, which you normally get after a trip attempt

Occasional Sage
2010-03-18, 11:02 PM
knockdown requires a 4 BAB or something, and improved trip, but if you cause 10 damage in melee you are entitled to a free trip attempt.

this doesnt give you a free attack if you trip though, which you normally get after a trip attempt

You sure do. Improved Trip (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#improvedTrip) doesn't care how you trip your target to get the free attack, just that you do so.

Flickerdart
2010-03-18, 11:04 PM
Stand Still might be worth it for you. Stop enemies in their tracks with an impossible DC!

jokey665
2010-03-18, 11:04 PM
Stand Still isn't worth it if I'm planning on tripping, is it?

Edit: haha I wrote this before you posted that... interesting.

Flickerdart
2010-03-18, 11:05 PM
If you want to keep enemies with +lots against trip away from you, it'll do that too.

jokey665
2010-03-18, 11:06 PM
True. I'll keep it in mind.

Is Exotic Weapon Master worth it? Currently I'm thinking about taking all three levels for Trip Attack, Flurry of Strikes, and Exotic Reach.

randomhero00
2010-03-18, 11:10 PM
its not true reach but the feat: lunge adds on another 5 ft for -2ac IIRC. Its from pathfinder though. But your DM would probably OK it.

d13
2010-03-18, 11:10 PM
Aberration Blood + Aberrant Reach = +5'
Willing Deformity + Deformity: Tall = +5'
+Spiked chain = 30' reach (5 + 5 + 5, doubled)

jokey665
2010-03-18, 11:11 PM

Already using those feats. And Extended Reach.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2010-03-18, 11:28 PM

Ach, nay. Reach weapons just add 5 feet. Becoming an affront against nature doesn't make your chain longer.

There's also the old Flexible template from d20 modern's monster manual Threats. It also gives -2 dex, though, and I forget the level adjustment.

FishAreWet
2010-03-18, 11:30 PM
Ach, nay. Reach weapons just add 5 feet. Becoming an affront against nature doesn't make your chain longer.

Reach Weapons
Glaives, guisarmes, lances, longspears, ranseurs, spiked chains, and whips are reach weapons. A reach weapon is a melee weapon that allows its wielder to strike at targets that aren’t adjacent to him or her. Most reach weapons double the wielder’s natural reach, meaning that a typical Small or Medium wielder of such a weapon can attack a creature 10 feet away, but not a creature in an adjacent square. A typical Large character wielding a reach weapon of the appropriate size can attack a creature 15 or 20 feet away, but not adjacent creatures or creatures up to 10 feet away. And the most only refers to things like the Whip.

Dr.Gunsforhands
2010-03-18, 11:59 PM
(Quotes the SRD where it says that reach weapons double your reach.)

Well, that does answer something I was wondering about reach weapons with regard to changing size categories. If this guy were to be magically enlarged, the chain would grow to match.

I believe my point still holds for our purposes, though. A medium reach weapon doubles its reach from 5 ft. to 10 ft, which is basically the same as saying it gives a +5 ft. bonus. This guy's chain is still sized for a medium creature; it doesn't change based on said creature's feats. If we do it your way, it would mean that you could make a polearm grow ten feet just by handing it to him.

...which would be hilarious, so never mind.