PDA

View Full Version : [3.5]Bludgeoning/slashing weapon

Thurbane
2010-03-19, 05:04 AM
I think I asked this question once upon a time in the Q&A thread, but I'm looking for some fresh insight. Does anyone know of any weapons that either do bludgeoning & slashing damage; or bludgeoning or slashing damage.

Only two I can find are the gyrspike and kusari-gama. Neither are ideal for my purposes (one is 3.0, and the other is an optional weapon in the DMG).

Other option is a natural weapon (bite), but that also isn't great as it doesn't allow iteratives.

Cheers - T

JeminiZero
2010-03-19, 05:32 AM
IIRC There is a feat called Versatile Unarmed Strike. It allows your unarmed strike to deal bludgeoning/piercing/slashing damage at your choosing.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-19, 05:33 AM
http://www.crystalkeep.com/d20/rules/DnD3.5Index-Equipment.pdf

Executioner's Mace
Martial 2hander that does 2d6 20/x3 and does B&P or B&S

Kaua’koi
Exotic 2bladed that does 1d6/1d6 20/x2 and can be P or B or S

there are also enchantments that shift a weapon between 2 different weapons. i know there's an enchantment that shifts a bow into a melee weapon of choice, so there's probably one that does the same for melee to melee

Thurbane
2010-03-19, 08:32 AM
Good suggestions all around, but none that really fit what I'm looking for. Executioner's Mace is good, but material from Dungeon Magazine isn't really kosher for my purposes (as a general rule, we don't use material from books we don't own physical copies of, and the magazines are always viewed with some suspicion at the best of times)

It's for an undead-slayer NPC in my game, for him to take the Necropotent feat with (requires Weapon Specialization in the same weapon, which means a morphing weapon wouldn't be a lot of use, unless it was combined with Aptitude, but that's probably going to push it well beyond the price range I was looking at). Since many undead have DR that is only overcome by one of these damage types, it would fit thematically for him to have a weapon that could deal either.

I wanted him to wield an iconic weapon (folk tales told about it), but I suppose I'm just getting too hung up on semantics...

Person_Man
2010-03-19, 08:57 AM
Razored Shield from Underdark is a Bludgeoning/slashing weapon (essentially a spiked shield, but slashing instead of piercing).

Haft Strike lets you use any polearm as a double weapon (with the stick side acting as a club), but it's Dragon Mag material, which you don't want.

Spinning Halberd gives you one extra attack with a halberd as a club. Comp Warrior.

Also, you might want to take a look at the Skullclan Hunter, which can auto-overcome the DR of any undead.

zagan
2010-03-19, 09:35 AM
The monk spade in secret of sarlona (p 136) its an exotic double weapon, on end does slashing damage the other bludgeoning, 1d8 in both case.

Thurbane
2010-03-19, 04:24 PM
Great suggestions, thanks all. :smallwink:

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-19, 04:34 PM
If only you could use my Weapons Fix, the Full Blade in that does both types.

herrhauptmann
2010-03-19, 04:57 PM
What about that neanderthal weapon in Frostburn, the one made from Reindeer horns. Isn't that sucker all 3 forms of damage?

Maeglin_Dubh
2010-03-19, 08:40 PM
The question becomes: do you want a RAW fix, or a RW fix?

In the Real World, a proficient longswordsman can deal bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing damage with just a bog-standard bastard sword.

Thurbane
2010-03-20, 06:50 PM
What about that neanderthal weapon in Frostburn, the one made from Reindeer horns. Isn't that sucker all 3 forms of damage?
The sugliin is slashing & piercing, unfortunately.

@Maeglin_Dubh, I hear what you're saying about RW, but that wouldn't be usable in my game.

...I think my best option is to go with the gyrspike. Even though it's 3.0, it should basically fit my purposes. Being a double weapon, if you chose to attack with only one end, it's a two-hander (i.e. meaning 1.5 X STR, and 2 X power attack)?

HunterOfJello
2010-03-20, 07:15 PM
...I think my best option is to go with the gyrspike. Even though it's 3.0, it should basically fit my purposes. Being a double weapon, if you chose to attack with only one end, it's a two-hander (i.e. meaning 1.5 X STR, and 2 X power attack)?

attacking with only one end = one handed weapon

also the gyrspike looks terrible compared to the executioner's mace or another weapon

http://madelf.zice.net/images/gyrspike.png

i don't think anyone could ever use this weapon without hitting themself

http://aslancross.files.wordpress.com/2008/12/emace.png?w=221&h=139

now that's badass

Dragero
2010-03-20, 07:24 PM
I think the Rod of Lords Might (Or some other rod) can change between a sword and a mace.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-20, 07:49 PM
I think the Rod of Lords Might (Or some other rod) can change between a sword and a mace.

oh yeah forgot about that one

there's the Rod of Lordly Might and the Rod of Surprises

Rod of Surprises costs 6,000gp and has buttons on it that change it into a javelin, kama, longspear, quarterstaff, scythe, shortspear, short sword, or spear that are all +1. It can also send messages with a trigger. Also, it can lengthen up to 60 ft and support 800lbs.

source: Magic Item Compendium

Rod of Lordly Might costs 70,000gp and has all this stuff

Lordly Might

This rod has functions that are spell-like, and it can also be used as a magic weapon of various sorts. It also has several more mundane uses. The rod of lordly might is metal, thicker than other rods, with a flanged ball at one end and six studlike buttons along its length. (Pushing any of the rod’s buttons is equivalent to drawing a weapon.) It weighs 10 pounds.

The following spell-like functions of the rod can each be used once per day.

* Hold person upon touch, if the wielder so commands (Will DC 14 negates). The wielder must choose to use this power and then succeed on a melee touch attack to activate the power. If the attack fails, the effect is lost.
* Fear upon all enemies viewing it, if the wielder so desires (10-foot maximum range, Will DC 16 partial). Invoking this power is a standard action.
* Deal 2d4 hit points of damage to an opponent on a successful touch attack (Will DC 17 half) and cure the wielder of a like amount of damage. The wielder must choose to use this power before attacking, as with hold person.

The following weapon functions of the rod have no limit on the number of times they can be employed.

* In its normal form, the rod can be used as a +2 light mace.
* When button 1 is pushed, the rod becomes a +1 flaming longsword. A blade springs from the ball, with the ball itself becoming the sword’s hilt. The weapon lengthens to an overall length of 4 feet.
* When button 2 is pushed, the rod becomes a +4 battleaxe. A wide blade springs forth at the ball, and the whole lengthens to 4 feet.
* When button 3 is pushed, the rod becomes a +3 shortspear or +3 longspear. The spear blade springs forth, and the handle can be lengthened up to 12 feet (wielder’s choice), for an overall length of from 6 feet to 15 feet. At its 15-foot length, the rod is suitable for use as a lance.

The following other functions of the rod also have no limit on the number of times they can be employed.

* Climbing pole/ladder. When button 4 is pushed, a spike that can anchor in granite is extruded from the ball, while the other end sprouts three sharp hooks. The rod lengthens to anywhere between 5 and 50 feet in a single round, stopping when button 4 is pushed again. Horizontal bars three inches long fold out from the sides, 1 foot apart, in staggered progression. The rod is firmly held by the spike and hooks and can bear up to 4,000 pounds. The wielder can retract the pole by pushing button 5.
* The ladder function can be used to force open doors. The wielder plants the rod’s base 30 feet or less from the portal to be forced and in line with it, then pushes button 4. The force exerted has a Strength modifier of +12.
* When button 6 is pushed, the rod indicates magnetic north and gives the wielder a knowledge of his approximate depth beneath the surface or height above it.

Strong enchantment, evocation, necromancy, and transmutation; CL 19th; Craft Rod, Craft Magic Arms and Armor, inflict light wounds, bull’s strength, flame blade, hold person, fear; Price 70,000 gp.

source: http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/rods.htm#lordlyMight

Thurbane
2010-03-20, 08:13 PM
Unfortunately shapechanging weapons aren't much use, as the feat is specific to a single weapon type, unless you take it multiple times.

Dimers
2010-03-21, 01:32 AM
Another "real-world" weapon that might qualify for bludgeoning/slashing is the macuahuitl (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macuahuitl), made famous by Aztec culture. It's a club with shards embedded in it. If you end up homebrewing/houseruling, consider that one. It's certainly a storied weapon, not an exotic obscurity.

Darrin
2010-03-21, 06:33 PM
Kawanaga in Oriental Adventures.

Notbora in Savage Species.

Thurbane
2010-03-21, 08:06 PM
attacking with only one end = one handed weapon
Are you sure? The SRD seems to indicate otherwise:

Double Weapons: Dire flails, dwarven urgroshes, gnome hooked hammers, orc double axes, quarterstaffs, and two-bladed swords are double weapons. A character can fight with both ends of a double weapon as if fighting with two weapons, but he or she incurs all the normal attack penalties associated with two-weapon combat, just as though the character were wielding a one-handed weapon and a light weapon. The character can also choose to use a double weapon two handed, attacking with only one end of it. A creature wielding a double weapon in one hand can’t use it as a double weapon—only one end of the weapon can be used in any given round.
----------

Kawanaga in Oriental Adventures.

Notbora in Savage Species.
Both 3.0, but may be a better fit than gyrspike. Thanks. :smallsmile: