PDA

View Full Version : Lady Gaga

Rauthiss
2010-03-19, 10:49 AM
You knew someone had to bring her up eventually.

As for me, I admire her as a role model, in that I someday hope to be wealthy/influential/popular enough to do whatever the hell I want and just be called an eccentric. :smallbiggrin:

Other than that, she's either on the world's worst drug trip or she's the world's most genius modern artist... and the world may never know.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-03-19, 11:08 AM
Meh.

I don't know who she was until she started showing up as a top search on Wikipedia and on commercials.

I don't think there's anything to "get" about her. Which is probably what baffles people when they try to go to Wikipedia for answers. Her flamboyancy is her bread-and-butter. It's her trade. The more of a spectacle that she is, the more money she makes. End of story. The rumor about her being a hermaphrodite only adds to the mythology. She may not be entirely happy about that, but it's the price of doing business.

She isn't eccentric because she is wealthy and popular enough to get away with it. Quite the reverse: Her eccentricity is the calling card that made her wealthy and popular.

For me, I could care less. I have fairly minimal interest in her music.

Viera Champion
2010-03-19, 11:12 AM
I can't stand her music, and she has the fashion of a dead hippo. I mean really? Why does she dress like that?

LurkerInPlayground
2010-03-19, 11:13 AM
I can't stand her music, and she has the fashion of a dead hippo. I mean really? Why does she dress like that?
I edited my post above.

But it's because it's her job.

Optimystik
2010-03-19, 11:21 AM
Love her. Not afraid to be completely outlandish, and her music videos ooze with creativity. None of the standard "here we are in a club" that other pop stars rely on; A Gaga video can take you anywhere from a Russian bathhouse, to a women's prison, to a roadside diner, to a resort staffed by androids.

And she makes very good use of sound editing, timing the visual action with the crossfade and scratches perfectly.

Giggling Ghast
2010-03-19, 11:21 AM
Her songs are irritatingly catchy.

But mostly, I think she's trying too hard.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-19, 11:24 AM
As FHM put it (paraphrased):

She's a mediocre singer, has the fashion sense of a brain damaged lemming, is not especially attractive under the layers of makeup, is bat-**** insane and refuses to acknowledge people who call her by her real name.

Yet for some reason she's just hit number one.
--------------

More power to her I say. If I could make a living from being a mediocre lunatic I would.

Her songs are irritatingly catchy....

This is very true. I have far more of her songs on my Ipod than I should considering how much she annoys me.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-19, 11:36 AM
I love Gaga.
Like, completely find myself infatuated with her.

Someone compared her to the Modern Day Bowie, and I have to say I can see where they're coming from.

She's coming to Oklahoma City the day before my birthday.
I'll sell my soul to be there.

The Extinguisher
2010-03-19, 11:37 AM
She's not terrible. I can see why people like her, and I can see why people don't.

Tirian
2010-03-19, 11:39 AM
Other than that, she's either on the world's worst drug trip or she's the world's most genius modern artist... and the world may never know.

Oh, it gets sorted out it in retrospect. Madonna: genius modern artist. Britney Spears: drug trip. Michael Jackson: I guess he went for the sampler plate.

I don't follow Lady Gaga, but I've got hopes for her.

Forever Curious
2010-03-19, 11:46 AM
Oh, it gets sorted out it in retrospect. Madonna: genius modern artist. Britney Spears: drug trip. Michael Jackson: I guess he went for the sampler plate.

Thread won.

I like Lady Gaga and echo The Extinguisher's remarks. Enough said.

EDIT: I also find her simmilar to Madona in a sense. Where what Madona did in her time was racey, Gaga's style is parallel...with a healthy dose of WTF.

Megaduck
2010-03-19, 11:48 AM
She isn't eccentric because she is wealthy and popular enough to get away with it. Quite the reverse: Her eccentricity is the calling card that made her wealthy and popular.

I'm impressed with Lady Gaga because of the above. I mean, if you look under all the make up and weird clothes she's not really that hot. Heck, she's not even really pretty, she's just plain.

So she crafted an image of herself as a weird eccentric to sell records and she made it stick.

That's awsome.

GolemsVoice
2010-03-19, 12:04 PM
Well, her songs make for good listening, and that's something. She's not afraid to be called strange, and she totally lives that. I don't really care about her, but my impression of her is generally favourable.

Eerie
2010-03-19, 12:04 PM
I'm impressed with Lady Gaga because of the above. I mean, if you look under all the make up and weird clothes she's not really that hot. Heck, she's not even really pretty, she's just plain.

So she crafted an image of herself as a weird eccentric to sell records and she made it stick.

That's awsome.

Seconded.

http://geniusbeauty.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/06/lady-gaga-with-her-boyfriend.jpg

But she is definitely making some sort of stand by not wearing pants anywhere, not just on stage. :smallamused:

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-19, 12:13 PM
To be fair, that picture is just awful.
There's another one from that weekend that makes her...eh, not pretty, per say, but less "WOAH I DON'T HAVE EYEBROWS"

Mordokai
2010-03-19, 12:28 PM

But mostly, I think she's trying too hard.

This. Mainly this.

She is light years ahead of Katy Perry, that much I can say. But that's not saying much, nor a really big compliment. And quite possibly I'm comparing apples with oranges. But at least I'm enjoying Gaga's songs when I hear them on radio, compared to bleeding ears when I hear Katy.

Viera Champion
2010-03-19, 12:35 PM

Sadly, it's true. I couldn't help but buy Paparazzi as much as I hate it, and I have to restrain myself from buying Bad Romance...:smallannoyed:

Mauther
2010-03-19, 01:45 PM
With regards to her style, singing, and presentation, she's working hard to be this decades Boy George. That's not a compliment. With regards to her success, if she's milking idiots who mistake her carnival freak show for talent, more power to her.

Frozen_Feet
2010-03-19, 01:55 PM
My only positive memory about Lady Gaga is from the army. When I was in Engineer Corps, our good captain had "Poker Face" playing in his office every time I visited him. It was frickin' hilarious!

Athaniar
2010-03-19, 01:57 PM
Her songs are really annoying, she usually looks awful, and her behavior is frightening (even if it's just an act). So no, I prefer to stay away from anything that has to do with her.

Optimystik
2010-03-19, 01:59 PM
My only positive memory about Lady Gaga is from the army. When I was in Engineer Corps, our good captain had "Poker Face" playing in his office every time I visited him. It was frickin' hilarious!

I can only assume that you didn't ask, and that he didn't tell. :smalltongue:

Surrealistik
2010-03-19, 02:40 PM
I can occasionally stand her music (Bad Romance is probably the closest I get to 'enjoyment' of it), but she's mostly annoying and insufferable, milking a gimmick wardrobe and the 'eccentricity' card for recognition and money. Gaga's limited talent is completely outpaced by her fame and popularity, but then, what else is new in the 'wonderful' world of pop music? Here's hoping she's a flash in the pan.

Eerie
2010-03-19, 02:44 PM
{scrubbed}

There is a saying in russian that goes "if you are so smart, why aren`t you rich"? :smallamused:

skywalker
2010-03-19, 03:06 PM
Someone compared her to the Modern Day Bowie, and I have to say I can see where they're coming from.

Hm. Possibly. This:

With regards to her style, singing, and presentation, she's working hard to be this decades Boy George.

is probably more accurate currently.

Nice!

There is a saying in russian that goes "if you are so smart, why aren`t you rich"? :smallamused:

+1

Dissing pop on the internet does not make you edgy, smart, or cool.

Simon Cowell likes Lady Gaga. And that's enough for me.

Surrealistik
2010-03-19, 03:12 PM

Since when was appearing 'edgy, smart or cool' the objective of earnest criticism?

Personally I don't see it as 'dissing' so much as the simple truth.

Tyrant
2010-03-19, 03:18 PM
Since when was appearing 'edgy, smart or cool' the objective of earnest criticism?

I would guesss it would be the "simple truth" part of what is a mostly subjective statement that makes folks think the point is to appear "edgy, smart, or cool". Because that's usually the goal when one claims a criticism based on taste is a truth. It's not much of a leap to assume it is meant to "dis" at that point. I'm not saying I think you were. Most people out to "dis" someone won't bother to even somewhat compliment one of their works, but I can see where others would take it that way.

Dienekes
2010-03-19, 03:20 PM
She the Poker Face person?

If so, that song ranks up there with The World's Greatest for annoying me half to death. (ain't saying their bad songs per se, I just find them incredibly annoying)

@ skywalker, I think I am reasonably smart, I know I'm not cool, and I'm the least edgy person you'll meet on this side of the ocean. That said, pop in general sucks or at the least is incredibly annoying.

And who is Simon Cowell and why should I care what he has to say about what music I can and cannot like?

Surrealistik
2010-03-19, 03:20 PM
I did make sure to qualify 'simple truth' as a personal opinion and perspective.

Seraph
2010-03-19, 03:32 PM
Lady gaga isn't human.

No, I'm serious. one of Alan Moore's acts of witchcraft went awry and one of the side-effects was summoning gaga, the villain from some obscure idolsinger-centric anime, into the real world. She's become so popular because she has no heroic counterpart to foil her plots at every turn.

Kallisti
2010-03-19, 03:40 PM
She's become obscenely rich and famous in the music world despite having absolutely no talent, through sheer WTF and exploitation {Scrubbed}

She's, like, my idol.

skywalker
2010-03-19, 03:44 PM

I wasn't actually addressing your comment, but:

I did make sure to qualify 'simple truth' as a personal opinion and perspective.

Are "simple truth" and "personal opinion" really compatible? Can a thing be both? Especially when it comes to music?

"Milking idiots" doesn't seem like "earnest criticism" at all. Sounds like a pretty personal insult to anyone who listens to her.

@ skywalker, I think I am reasonably smart, I know I'm not cool, and I'm the least edgy person you'll meet on this side of the ocean. That said, pop in general sucks or at the least is incredibly annoying.

And who is Simon Cowell and why should I care what he has to say about what music I can and cannot like?

Simon Cowell is a judge on American Idol, X Factor, and a big time A&R exec. He's pretty smart when it comes to music.

Question is, why does pop suck? Admittedly, there is some terrible pop out there, but there is some terrible rock, metal, hip-hop, r&b, ska, calypso, blues, jazz, etc. out there as well.

Emperor Ing
2010-03-19, 03:46 PM
Lady Gaga is one of a thousand talentless female pop artists that make you wanna impale someone with your bare hands after you hear it the 3rd time.

TL;DR, not a fan. :smallyuk:

Quincunx
2010-03-19, 03:46 PM
With regards to her style, singing, and presentation, she's working hard to be this decades Boy George. That's not a compliment. With regards to her success, if she's milking idiots who mistake her carnival freak show for talent, more power to her.

I used to mentally classify her as "Amy Winehouse, leeched and bleached", but this is a better fit. The songs haven't troubled me yet. (Sorry folks, 'net access is currently throttled--we overran the limits again--so I can't seek them out.)

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-19, 04:03 PM

On a completely shallow response to Skywalker saying this comment was more accurate than my own opinion of her following David Bowie's footsteps:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Hito-chan/LadyGaGaGaga.png
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v296/Hito-chan/album-David-Bowie-Aladdin-Sane.jpg

Again, though, that's shallow evidence and only to tide me over 'til I return from work, when I may or may not type out a full, indepth response that will probably be torn apart furiously, because Media is sometimes sanctioned flaming, depending on how long it takes for me to make cookies for my boyfriend and whether or not I feel like it.

And then I leave you with the reason I started liking her (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkX5OsBJQ8E) in the first place.

Surrealistik
2010-03-19, 04:06 PM
I wasn't actually addressing your comment, but:

I understand that you were not necessarily addressing my comment in particular, however your response seemed to encompass and rebuke those who were criticizing Gaga.

Are "simple truth" and "personal opinion" really compatible? Can a thing be both? Especially when it comes to music?

I find Gaga's failings to be simple truth in the sense of personally judged veracity and accuracy, but at the same time I recognize this is largely a subjective matter of taste (at least with respect to questions of talent and the quality of her music) that in reality is not, and cannot be objectively supported in any decisive way.

"Milking idiots" doesn't seem like "earnest criticism" at all. Sounds like a pretty personal insult to anyone who listens to her.

Yes, I do think that's a little excessive.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-19, 05:21 PM
I think Lady Gaga is one of a thousand talentless female pop artists that make you me wanna impale someone with your my bare hands after you I hear it the 3rd time.

Fixed that for you.

I was pretty lucky - I saw Lady Gaga perform live in the summer of 2008, before she had any real fame and without any hype at all to prejudice me in any way, I'd never heard of her before that day. She was the final act at the San Francisco gay pride festival (not the headliner, who had performed midafternoon), and I was hanging around waiting for the festival to officially close so I could take down a booth.

I enjoyed her set quite a lot. She's a good performer, had some great, sexy dancers backing her up, and I liked the music even though that kind of disco-pop isn't usually my thing. I wasn't compelled to run out and by the album, but thought it was cool when she became so successful. I think her music is far more intelligent and interesting than the majority of the genre.

As for the whole thing about her edgy/eccentric/etc persona - I don't think it's a gimmick at all, I think it's who she really is. From seeing her perform and what I read about her as she was just starting to get noticed, it's clear she has her roots in the cultural and sexual underground, she just wanted to go disco instead of forming a punk band or something like the majority of her musically inclined peers. And she's very smart, unlike so many manufactured Pop products.

Semidi
2010-03-19, 05:29 PM
Here's the thing. Lady GaGa is the only (well I also like Scissor Sisters) modern pop music that I like. She has a couple of catchy songs, and I can dig the weird fashion sense (I'm a big fan of eccentric and weird). It's not for everyone, but that's OK.

That being said, being called stupid for liking her music is a bit laughable--as if aesthetic preference has any relationship whatsoever to intelligence. So yeah, go you, anonymously insult people. You showed us.

Silly Wizard
2010-03-19, 05:46 PM
Lady Gaga is my favorite pop artist EVER.

I seriously feel like dancing almost anytime that I hear one of her songs. If I don't, I look silly and bob my head. I don't care if a good deal of people don't appreciate her music, I think it's awesome.

GiantNewDoctor
2010-03-19, 06:03 PM
I'd like to direct your attention to this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKTIfXTd32M)

I don't like her. Her weirdness is a bit too gimmicky for my tastes. That said, I don't enjoy her music that much either.

MikelaC1
2010-03-19, 06:10 PM
Not only is her image an act and her music terrible, she clearly has absolutely no idea of what Queen was talking about. "radio gaga", the line that she draws the name from was not a compliment, it was a criticism of crappy pop music of the day. She's wearing an insult as her name. And Im sure that her music would be included in the gaga catagory Queen defined.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-19, 06:30 PM
Not only is her image an act and her music terrible, she clearly has absolutely no idea of what Queen was talking about. "radio gaga", the line that she draws the name from was not a compliment, it was a criticism of crappy pop music of the day. She's wearing an insult as her name. And Im sure that her music would be included in the gaga catagory Queen defined.

You know, there's a whole level of satire and irony going on that you seem completely oblivious to.

I mean, not liking her music is one thing, but making the assumption that's she's so stupid that she doesn't understand the rather blatant point of Queen's song is just letting your bias get in the way of your critical thinking.

Oh, and aside from your bias, what do you base your assertion that "her image is an act" on, aside from the fact that pretty much all rock star personas are at least exaggerations of some sort?

Seraph
2010-03-19, 06:39 PM
She's wearing an insult as her name.

thatsthejoke.tif

MikelaC1
2010-03-19, 06:53 PM
You know, there's a whole level of satire and irony going on that you seem completely oblivious to.

You assume satire and irony. I assume she is so stupid.

that pretty much all rock star personas are at least exaggerations of some sort?

Rush, my favourite band is no exaggeration of anything. They just play great music, that also has intelligent things to say.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-19, 07:05 PM
On a completely shallow response to Skywalker saying this comment was more accurate than my own opinion of her following David Bowie's footsteps:

To be fair, David Bowie is awesome. Remember Labyrinth?

Raistlin1040
2010-03-19, 07:16 PM
I love Lady Gaga. LOVE her. I actually wrote a culture essay on her. Her music is catchy and doesn't tire easily, unlike some recent pop I've heard (Katy Perry being the most obvious example). She's very creative, seems rather interesting as a person, and isn't so easily dismissed as a "fad". She's not David Bowie, because she does lack the lyrical and musical depth, but she is ahead of most pop artists. If she stays relevant, and continues to write good songs, she could easily be another Madonna, or even a Bowie type if she worked hard.

I'm rooting for her.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-19, 07:17 PM
You assume satire and irony. I assume she is so stupid.

I'll just reiterate my comment about critical thinking.

Rush, my favourite band is no exaggeration of anything.

Are you sure about that?

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/imager/stephen_colbert_interrupts_rush_sleeps_during_tom_ sawyer/b/big/1164102/3f40/unknown.gif

Don't get me wrong - I've been a big fan of Rush longer than you've been alive, I'll bet. I'd go see a Rush concert over Lady G in a heartbeat. But irrationally attacking an artist you don't like doesn't prove their superiority, y'know...

Moff Chumley
2010-03-19, 07:32 PM

Agreed about the Boy George thing. The rest of your comment not so much.

Rush, my favourite band is no exaggeration of anything. They just play great music, that also has intelligent things to say.

Rush has a song about Lord of the Rings. QED, your argument is invalid.

NOTE: Chumley loves Rush, but anyone who takes them 100% seriously has another thing coming to them.

I don't really care for her, mostly because if you plan on being a cocaine addict you should also be an incredible badass, in my opinion. (READ: Ozzy.) Decent pop act? Fine. Badass? Not so much.

Dihan
2010-03-19, 07:41 PM

I agree. I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Though I do love this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HQdeG5CyqvI). I'm sure Lesley Joseph (the one in green) is actually Lady Gaga. :smalltongue:

JonestheSpy
2010-03-19, 07:44 PM

NOTE: Chumley loves Rush, but anyone who takes them 100% seriously has another thing coming to them.

I'd actually say the big disqualifier is By-Tor and the Snow Dog. :smallbiggrin:

Moff Chumley
2010-03-19, 07:46 PM
BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG

Is how you say it, thanks very much. :smalltongue:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-19, 07:50 PM

Simon Cowell likes Lady Gaga. And that's enough for me.

Haha, so that's the sort of game you play?

Well I won't step on your toes, personally. Enjoy your pop :smallsmile:

(Although I would point out that a number of the detractors are right, as her music is terrible. Why take it so personally? A lot of the music I listen to is stuff that I myself describe as 'terrible music'. I guess it's just because people get so closely and personally involved with what they listen to ...)

nooblade
2010-03-19, 08:03 PM
Don't listen to that kind of music when I can avoid it, not an artsy person, usually dislike things which are unusual, and probably wouldn't fully agree with her on 9/10 important issues, but somehow I'd rather root for her.

She looks ridiculous, but also manages to make everything else look ridiculous too.

Optimystik
2010-03-19, 08:08 PM
I guess it's just because people get so closely and personally involved with what they listen to ...

Music matters to people? Stop the presses! :smalltongue:

For all of you that don't like her, you're entitled. Just like I'm entitled to be glad that I won't be running into you at her concerts. :smallbiggrin:

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-19, 08:09 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: There seems to be a trend of calling people who like X stupid. Don't do that here. Don't call other posters stupid, individually, collectively, or as part of a "people who like X are stupid" comment. Your subjective or allegedly objective comments on X need not and should not extend to X's fans.

Sequinox
2010-03-19, 08:29 PM
I'll just reiterate my comment about critical thinking.

Are you sure about that?

http://www.charlestoncitypaper.com/imager/stephen_colbert_interrupts_rush_sleeps_during_tom_ sawyer/b/big/1164102/3f40/unknown.gif

Don't get me wrong - I've been a big fan of Rush longer than you've been alive, I'll bet. I'd go see a Rush concert over Lady G in a heartbeat. But irrationally attacking an artist you don't like doesn't prove their superiority, y'know...

Well, you can't exactly pull up Lifeson's crossdressing days and call Rush ridiculous. Come on, man, it was the 70's. People did that stuff. (Yes, I'm a really big Rush fan too.) The other guy's point was that they didn't try to make themselves something that they weren't. Did Rush try to make themselves something that they weren't? Maybe. I don't know the people personally.

Anyway, Lady Gaga. She's okay. Not the best musician ever, but at least I consider her a musician. As far as the crappy synthpop that's been shoved down our throats, she's the best (and the only artist that I would not call 'crappy synthpop' and would call an 'artist with unusual musical ideas.') Most of the other Top 40 crap out there... Ugh.

One thing that I've noticed about her music, though, is that she either really uses weird scales or has no idea what she's doing. If she's using really outlandish scales (it's a musical term... well, 'scales' is, 'outlandish' is just me being me), then more power to her. If she has no clue what she's doing, more power to her. In that case, she's an idiot savant.

Originally posted by Moff Chumley

BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG

Dude, that was when they were first starting out (assuming you guys are talking about Fly By Night and Caress of Steel). I've never heard Fly By Night, but I just like to pretend that Caress of Steel never happened. Seriously, though, they did move on to more serious topics. Listen to Signals. The lyrics are genius.

So to make sense of all of this, I'd say that Lady Gaga's much better then the rest of the modern pop market, she has a very unusual take on the minor scale (if that's what she's playing), and that it's not fair to imply that Rush is ridiculous because of a picture taken over 30 years ago. And during the 70's. They became a serious, intellectual band, regardless of their... early experiments... such posing in robes for 2112 (which was a great album) and writing songs about The Lord of the Rings (I'm assuming you're talking about Rivendell, which I still haven't heard).

And hey, Led Zeppelin did some LotR stuff too. (Battle of Evermore, anybody?)

hobbitkniver
2010-03-19, 08:42 PM
I don't really like to get into the whole fashion and looks of Lady Gaga, she has some good songs though.

Lord Seth
2010-03-19, 08:48 PM
Not a fan of Lady Gaga (and what kind of a name is that?) but without her this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HM9tyNkUAg) wouldn't have been made, so I have to give her some credit.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-19, 09:05 PM
Well, you can't exactly pull up Lifeson's crossdressing days and call Rush ridiculous. Come on, man, it was the 70's. People did that stuff. (Yes, I'm a really big Rush fan too.) The other guy's point was that they didn't try to make themselves something that they weren't. Did Rush try to make themselves something that they weren't? Maybe. I don't know the people personally.

BY-TOR AND THE SNOW DOG

Dude, that was when they were first starting out (assuming you guys are talking about Fly By Night and Caress of Steel). I've never heard Fly By Night, but I just like to pretend that Caress of Steel never happened. Seriously, though, they did move on to more serious topics. Listen to Signals. The lyrics are genius.

So to make sense of all of this, I'd say that Lady Gaga's much better then the rest of the modern pop market, she has a very unusual take on the minor scale (if that's what she's playing), and that it's not fair to imply that Rush is ridiculous because of a picture taken over 30 years ago. And during the 70's. They became a serious, intellectual band, regardless of their... early experiments... such posing in robes for 2112 (which was a great album) and writing songs about The Lord of the Rings (I'm assuming you're talking about Rivendell, which I still haven't heard)

Well, I never meant to say that Rush is ridiculous, but I do reiterate that pretty much every rock star is going to have an oversize persona in one way or another - and no, I don't mean that as in big ego. And "It was the 70's" is really not too relevant, as rock stars have gone for costumery of one sort or another ever since the Beatles stopped performing in suits and ties. And how can anyone say LG is "making herself into something she's not" and not say the same thing about guys wearing glittery white robes while singing science fiction anthems (yes, really good science fiction anthems)?

There is another interesting parallel - Lady Gaga is 23. When 2112 (complete with now-embarrassing photo) came out, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson were also 23. Young musicians dressing funny - it seems to be pretty universal regardless of the era.

Moff Chumley
2010-03-19, 09:25 PM
Hey man, I LOVE Rush. But the 70s were no more ridiculous than things are today.

Amiel
2010-03-19, 09:53 PM
She's from Outer Space (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h47fNaOb-JU); Poker Face parody

Surrealistik
2010-03-19, 10:11 PM
The best Lady Gaga satire vid, hands down (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nS1pxcxSlxY), but I'm a TFTard, so I guess my opinion is biased and inconsequential.

Silly Wizard
2010-03-19, 10:22 PM
Not a fan of Lady Gaga (and what kind of a name is that?) but without her this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HM9tyNkUAg) wouldn't have been made, so I have to give her some credit.

I think this person is on to something!

skywalker
2010-03-19, 11:14 PM

Painting your face like David Bowie does not mean you're following in his footsteps. Bowie is a legend, an icon. The only part of the post I considered more accurate was the comparison to Boy George. Now if GaGa can transcend this wave of stardom, reinvent herself about 8 different ways, write some of the greatest songs ever, and become a legend, then we can start making Bowie comparisons.

I find Gaga's failings to be simple truth in the sense of personally judged veracity and accuracy, but at the same time I recognize this is largely a subjective matter of taste (at least with respect to questions of talent and the quality of her music) that in reality is not, and cannot be objectively supported in any decisive way.

So it would be a simple truth for you. Fair enough.

No, "Radio GaGa" is about how "Video Killed the Radio Star" and all the kids are watching MTV instead of listening to the radio, so the radio is basically becoming NPR, when it was his lifeline to music he couldn't get anywhere else when he was a kid.

Also, Queen hate on pop? Freddie Mercury hate on pop? Nonono.

This has already been pretty well covered, but you are talking about the Rush that crams as many time signatures into a song as possible, just to see if it can be done, right?

Haha, so that's the sort of game you play?

Well I won't step on your toes, personally. Enjoy your pop :smallsmile:

(Although I would point out that a number of the detractors are right, as her music is terrible. Why take it so personally? A lot of the music I listen to is stuff that I myself describe as 'terrible music'. I guess it's just because people get so closely and personally involved with what they listen to ...)

My problem is not with detracting from the music, or the performer, my problem is with "Lady GaGa is milking idiots who mistake her for being talented." I might be quite aware she's rubbish musically and still enjoy her music, had you thought of that?

But it's true, I've always been something of a pop freak, because the idea of reaching millions of people (and taking their money) has always been thrilling to me. And (reference Elvis, the Beatles, Michael Jackson) the masses usually get it right. So why not listen to them?

EDIT: To take it further, I consider a well-crafted pop song to be a work of art. Just as... "painting fans?" generally have a particular style they gravitate to, so do music fans. Whereas some of us might gravitate towards metal, others gravitate towards pop (and all sorts of other genres). While there is artistic relevance and skill to playing the best meedlies and trembalos, so is there relevance to crafting a particularly virulent earworm. It's just like preferring impressionism or cubism, etc.

Yoren
2010-03-19, 11:54 PM
Was anyone else dumbfounded by this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hHc7TZjyY) of Stefani Germanotta performing before she became Lady Gaga?

Surrealistik
2010-03-20, 12:02 AM
Definitely prefer Stefani Germanotta to 'Lady Gaga'. By a mile.

Serpentine
2010-03-20, 12:14 AM
I think Lady Gaga is brilliant. Her music is... okay. I think there's one song of hers that I genuinely like (Bad Romance - "Larv larv larv, I want your larv!"), and the rest I don't mind listening to. Better than a lot of pop, dance-pop not quite as good as Aqua and Kylie Minogue (I like 'em :smalltongue:) but along the same sorts of lines.
Her fashion is brilliant. Everything she wears is a work of art! She's perhaps a little too fond of those leotard things, but whatever. The clothes she wears are incredible! I don't understand people who go "nur nur, she dresses stoopid". What should she wear, jeans and t-shirt? Little Black Dress? BORING. Love love love the things she wears.
Videos are great. They're fun, silly, story-telling, well-choreographed and well-crafted.
Ideology is admirable. She's using her popularity to forward the LGBT cause, and is open about her bisexuality without (I think) exploiting it as a gimmick (looking at you, Tatu).
It would be so easy for her to be dead boring, just another pop-starlet. A dull pretty sex-object. But she does an incredibly good job of being a long way from boring.

So basically, as a singer, she's mehish. As a whole package, though, she's great! I'm curious to see her lasting power.

edit re pre-Gaga video: Eh. Good, sure, demonstrates that she's got a great voice and musical talent. But I'm glad she's gotten more interesting.

edit again: She's my age... well, 2 months other than me. I'd hang out with her :smallcool:

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-03-20, 06:54 AM
She looks ridiculous, but also manages to make everything else look ridiculous too.

This sums up why I like Lady GaGa in a precise and succint manner. So over the top I cannot but help wonder whether she's playing it strait with the dials to 11 or parodying the whole thing. Or maybe both at the same time.

And yeah, her fashion is nothing but amazing. Amazingly cool and amazingly ridiculous and amazingly impractical and amazingly controversial. Love it :smallbiggrin:

Gaelbert
2010-03-20, 11:11 AM
I've always assumed that most of what she does is an elaborate satire. If you look at her formative years, I think there's a lot of credence to that theory. She is a very smart woman, and the interviews I've seen with her have increased my respect for her manyfold. I realize that the music she puts out on the market may not have loads of musical value, but that doesn't mean that she herself has no musical value. I've heard a lot of her Stefani stuff, owned the album, and while it was completely different than the pop she's putting out, it was very good.
I was originally hooked on her because I love her DJ, Space Cowboy. I respect anyone who wears a disco tie.

And here's a little bit from an essay I found that mainly dealt with the Grammies, but analyzed some of Lady Gaga's behaviour as well.

THIS PAST Sunday, Lady Gaga's outrageously over-the-top opening number loudly declared, "Here comes the fame monster." It's an apt description of this year's Grammy Awards. Unfortunately, it was also the highlight of the show.

The Grammys have never really been good at acknowledging the happenings in the world at large, but this year, the disparity was especially stark. Granted, not every talented artist in the world needs to be waxing about rising unemployment and the planet's growing underclass. With these phenomena undeniably here though, the smug self-admiration of the music business seemed to be a special slap in the face.

The content of Gaga's performance might explain why the producers wanted to get it out of the way as soon as possible. Gaga has built her young career on parodying celebrity culture, and her neo-surrealist medley juxtaposed her bizarre dress with her dust-and-grime covered backup dancers--workers of the "fame factory." After the first few bars of "Poker Face," I was thinking that Bertolt Brecht himself couldn't have done it better.

It wasn't long until it gave way to a typical Grammy number when Elton John joined her onstage for a rather lackluster duet. It was a portentous indicator. Despite being nominated in five categories and easily being the most original artist to puncture the pop mainstream in quite some time, Gaga would end the night snubbed.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-20, 11:51 AM
To be fair, David Bowie is awesome. Remember Labyrinth?

:: sigh::
I forget that this side of the forums don't know me as well as others.
I am passionately, obsessively in love with David Bowie.
Also, I've seen Labyrinth so many times, I could recite the movie for you.

@Skywalker: I'm not saying she's nearly as talented as Bowie, and I have no idea if she'll have the staying power he had, but socially and fashionably, she's quite similar, and I also think I recall her stating he was something of a huge inspiration.

Sequinox
2010-03-20, 12:17 PM
Well, I never meant to say that Rush is ridiculous, but I do reiterate that pretty much every rock star is going to have an oversize persona in one way or another - and no, I don't mean that as in big ego. And "It was the 70's" is really not too relevant, as rock stars have gone for costumery of one sort or another ever since the Beatles stopped performing in suits and ties. And how can anyone say LG is "making herself into something she's not" and not say the same thing about guys wearing glittery white robes while singing science fiction anthems (yes, really good science fiction anthems)?

There is another interesting parallel - Lady Gaga is 23. When 2112 (complete with now-embarrassing photo) came out, Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson were also 23. Young musicians dressing funny - it seems to be pretty universal regardless of the era.

Agreed there. My point was that the other guy probably meant older Rush, once they stopped doing that kinda stuff and got more serious.

Moff Chumley
2010-03-20, 06:56 PM
Was anyone else dumbfounded by this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_hHc7TZjyY) of Stefani Germanotta performing before she became Lady Gaga?

Wow. Just... wow. I have a quite embarrassing soft-spot for female singer-songwriter type stuff (damn you, Carol King! DAMN YOU!!) :smallfurious::smallredface:

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-21, 02:52 AM
{Scrubbed}

Fawkes
2010-03-21, 03:39 AM
IMHO, nothing beats Eric Cartman's cover of Poker Face.

Serpentine
2010-03-21, 03:56 AM
They just want something that they can get stuck in their head and enjoy dancing/singing along to.There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.
I'm not a particularly big fan of more mainstream music (I mostly just immerse myself in Triple J. I'm often disappointingly surprised when I emerge from it to dip my toes in "what's hot" and find a whole lot of rubbish), but you need to give credit where it's due. And as far as that sort of pop music goes, Gaga's is probably at least above average. If you hate pop music as a sound, you'll almost certainly dislike hers, but if you keep an ear out for the decent stuff that comes from that genre, you must admit she's at the top of it.
As far as pop stars go, she's practically Alternative.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-21, 03:59 AM
IMHO, nothing beats Eric Cartman's cover of Poker Face.

what about brooklyn rage? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3HM9tyNkUAg

Klose_the_Sith
2010-03-21, 04:20 AM
There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

But ... I went on to say pretty much that exactly :smalleek:

Hardcore
2010-03-21, 12:52 PM
I have listened to LGs "Bad Romance", and I find it is not very I sophisticated music; it could be a song made by any group that make club music. Just beat that Bass drum and you are halfway finished with the song. Heck, I wouldn't be surprised to hear it was based on the record companies song pattern #1a for making hit music.
(someone mentioned Bowie here, like there is any reason to bring up a real music artist in this Gaga thread. )

The video made me think of this though the sexiest woman of the 80's (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0t2nzWb9f6M)

I can add, for "Silly Wizard", this, good, modern pop artist Goldfrapp (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4lHo9V8U4w&feature=related)

Nerocite
2010-03-21, 01:19 PM
Christopher Walken (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGH5ygIKyT0) does it best.

RabbitHoleLost
2010-03-21, 01:23 PM
{Scrubbed}

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-21, 01:41 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I am baffled that this particular topic so enrages people that they need to attack each other personally. This is the last warning this thread is going to get and any further flaming or trolling is likely to receive an Infraction rather than a Warning. You've been Warned - be civil and follow the Forum Rules.

Froogleyboy
2010-03-21, 01:57 PM

He definatly (SP?) has a better voice

Innis Cabal
2010-03-21, 01:58 PM
Not sure if this one was mentioned (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWxTGJ3TK1U) but I thought it was pretty funny, and matched up well with Bad Romance.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-21, 02:08 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I am baffled that this particular topic so enrages people that they need to attack each other personally.

It's an interesting phenomenon. I think music is such a powerful thing, it can generate the same sort of feelings that religion does (don't worry, that's as close as I get to that topic). Especially in modern youth culture where one's muscial taste is so often intertwined with ones identity, some people seem to take differing opinions on music as a personal affront. Then there's the whole generational conflict thing, with folks from different musical eras not understanding the attractions of that era's music at all, and taking that as evidence of that other generation's deficiancy.

Lord knows when I was younger I was a total music snob, and thought people with my tastes were superior in some way. And I still think there's plenty of lousy music that I could never enjoy, and a lot that's downright destructive (like the glorification of violence and misogyny in gangsta hip hop). But I've at least outgrown the need to vilify the folks for liking whole different genres than me.

That was actually one of the great themes in the book High Fidelity that didn't make it into the movie so much - that what you like isn't as important as what you are like.

LurkerInPlayground
2010-03-21, 02:39 PM
Nah. People are just enraged by pop-musicians in general.

Em Blackleaf
2010-03-21, 02:41 PM
I see what you're saying, JonestheSpy. If I ever walked into a crowd at my high school and said, "(Insert popular music artist here) sucks!" I'd make a bunch of friends and a bunch of enemies. People take musical taste rather seriously, especially within my age group.

Personally, I like Lady Gaga. When I first heard Poker Face, it didn't make me want to kill puppies with annoyingness, but I didn't really LOVE it.

I love the song Paparazzi, because it's actually really funny. "I'm your biggest fan, I'll follow you until you love me. Papa-paparazzi." Made me giggle, anyhow.

I rather like her persona, as well. The insane, murderous sex addict thing is entertaining. I wouldn't say she's exactly my fashion idol, but I like her eccentric style. Her music videos are wonderful.

But Paparazzi is the only Lady Gaga song I really LOVE (Though, I haven't heard every one of her songs). But the rest aren't bad. And she isn't too overplayed. If she is, I don't notice because she's not at all annoying if I listen too her music a lot. :smalltongue:

I have more of a tendency to like pop than I let on.

Fawkes
2010-03-21, 03:32 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: I am baffled that this particular topic so enrages people that they need to attack each other personally.

We're all so full of Brooklyn Rage! (Yeah, Kyuubi, I've seen it. :smallbiggrin:)

Lord of the Helms
2010-03-22, 03:47 AM
Nah. People are just enraged by pop-musicians in general.

I think it's music in general, really. I've seen my fair share of music discussions among metal, prog, rock, punk and techno fans to realize that people can argue about pretty much every kind of music with a rather grand share of fanaticism, and it's very easy to end up caught within it myself.
(Hey, Klose, shall we talk about what is and isn't Pirate Metal? ....Right, let's never do that again :smallredface: :smallbiggrin: )

Pop musicians or generally famous ones just tend to make for easier targets, since almost everyone knows them in one way or another and has been exposed to their music in some way.

That said, I don't actually know who Lady Gaga is or what her songs are.

Quincunx
2010-03-22, 04:00 AM
Hey man, I LOVE Rush. But the 70s were no more ridiculous than things are today.

Objection, your honor! This man lives in California!

Serpentine
2010-03-22, 04:25 AM
The song I actively enjoy of hers: Bad Romance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qrO4YZeyl0I).

Mystic Muse
2010-03-22, 07:50 AM
We're all so full of Brooklyn Rage!

BROOKLYN RAGE!!!!!!!!1

nyeh, nyeh, nyeh.:smallbiggrin:

katans
2010-03-22, 08:07 AM
I don't like her music; to me, she sounds just like every other pop "artist" who's ever been around for the last 15 years or so, and I generally don't like pop at all. And I do believe that she's trying too hard. But nevertheless, one must admit that there's a certain artistic continuity in her eccentricity and that she may be on to something interesting. We'll see in a few years.

Surrealistik
2010-03-22, 09:10 AM

His rendition is definitely superior, and far more entertaining.

Haruki-kun
2010-03-22, 09:16 AM
I like her Music a lot. But somehow I knew she wouldn't be popular here. :smallsigh:

Optimystik
2010-03-22, 09:29 AM
I like her Music a lot. But somehow I knew she wouldn't be popular here. :smallsigh:

I wasn't surprised either, given the popularity of the Metal thread. Unless I'm wildly off-base about something, I don't see a lot of overlap between the fans of pop and metal.

Fawkes
2010-03-22, 02:30 PM
I don't really have any opinions one way or the other about her music, but Gladstone sums up my opinions regarding her videos and style pretty well (http://www.asylum.com/2010/03/08/hate-by-numbers-5-reasons-lady-gagas-bad-romance-causes-we/).

Zexion
2010-03-22, 02:38 PM
You like Gladstone too? He's awesome. He is so sarcastically humorous.

Surrealistik
2010-03-22, 03:28 PM
Yeah, he breaks her down pretty flawlessly in that video.

Zexion
2010-03-22, 05:51 PM
Completely.
"I know that people praise Lady Gaga for her fashion sense, but it kind of just looks like a little girl playing in her mother's clothes, if her mother was an escaped mental patient murderer."

Dragor
2010-03-22, 06:02 PM
I wasn't surprised either, given the popularity of the Metal thread. Unless I'm wildly off-base about something, I don't see a lot of overlap between the fans of pop and metal.

Heh, we're not all collectively pop-haters, you know. :smalltongue: I think it just requires a different mentality.

I honestly think that Gaga's a breath of fresh air. Her music? Psh, it's not exactly much different to most other stuff, beyond the odd inventive thing. But I think it's rather her mentality. Pop lost most of its taste for theatricality and simply giving a good show, and I think Gaga and to a lesser extent Beyonce with her alter-ego Sasha Fierce are doing that. Gaga's simple weirdness and taste for the extreme simply make artists like Katy Perry look tame. I think when it comes to pop, it's about 75% of the artist and 25% of the song. So in that case, yes, I like Gaga. She is different in all the senses she needs to be different in pop. And I think she's given the genre a bit of a nudge up the behind to get a move on.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-22, 10:02 PM
I'm not certain what to think about her. All I know is that Warren Zevon is better than her.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-22, 11:22 PM
I'm not certain what to think about her. All I know is that I like Warren Zevon is better than her.

Fixed it for you.

Hell, I actually agree - I prefer Warren Zevon to Lady Gaga, hands down. But can we please be a little more evolved and rational in our assertions, here?

Gorgondantess
2010-03-22, 11:36 PM

Nonsense! I enjoy metal as much as any other jaded forumgoer these days, but I have to admit I find a good handful of Lady Gaga's songs disgustingly catchy. In a good way.:smallwink:

Dvandemon
2010-03-22, 11:48 PM
I like her, but I'm not the type to become a devoted fan like some people. Personally, i'd listen to anything

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-03-23, 05:35 AM
I don't really have any opinions one way or the other about her music, but Gladstone sums up my opinions regarding her videos and style pretty well (http://www.asylum.com/2010/03/08/hate-by-numbers-5-reasons-lady-gagas-bad-romance-causes-we/).

My first thought was: "William Ewart Gladstone, 4-times British Prime Minister, not only predicted Lady Gaga over a century before her first single, but actually had opinions on her? I wonder what Disraeli thought of her."

Then I realised it's just some random person named Gladstone. I am sorely disappointed.

GrlumpTheElder
2010-03-23, 05:40 AM
My first thought was: "William Ewart Gladstone, 4-times British Prime Minister, not only predicted Lady Gaga over a century before her first single, but actually had opinions on her? I wonder what Disraeli thought of her."

Then I realised it's just some random person named Gladstone. I am sorely disappointed.

Well, it's a well known fact that Disraeli was a huge fan of Lady Gaga :D

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2010-03-23, 05:43 AM
Well, it's a well known fact that Disraeli was a huge fan of Lady Gaga :D

But what might Queen Victoria have thought of it? Surely Her Majesty would have been torn between her own values and her friendship with Disraeli? Musical taste can be important in friendships, after all!

SilverSheriff
2010-03-23, 06:37 AM
She's coming to Oklahoma City the day before my birthday.
I'll sell my soul to be there.

Careful what you wish for.:smallamused:

I have no other interest in this conversation, if I wanted flamboyantly annoying I'd wonder around my suburb until I find one of the more annoying people I know from school...

Dragor
2010-03-23, 06:44 AM
*entire Gladstone/Disraeli references*

I never thought my History coursework would crawl onto Giant in the Playground. Damn you, damn you all! :smalltongue:

Optimystik
2010-03-23, 07:09 AM
Nonsense! I enjoy metal as much as any other jaded forumgoer these days, but I have to admit I find a good handful of Lady Gaga's songs disgustingly catchy. In a good way.:smallwink:

While I am pleasantly surprised (and suitably enamored of your avatar), you'll forgive me if it takes more than two isolated posters to convince me of a whole trend :smalltongue:

Boo
2010-03-23, 08:12 AM
Anyone ever thought of comparing her to Pokemon? Not her music or anything...

You caught a wild Stefani Germanotta!

Stefani Germanotta evolved into... Lady Gaga!

Lady Gaga evolved into... Boy George!

Boy George evolved into... David Bowie!

...or something like that.

Optimystik
2010-03-23, 08:16 AM

Stefani Germanotta evolved into... Lady Gaga!

Lady Gaga evolved into... Boy George!

Boy George evolved into... David Bowie!

...or something like that.

I'd love to see someone do that for Prince :smalltongue: or Michael Jackson

Haruki-kun
2010-03-23, 09:12 AM
My take on most trends:

Step 1: Becomes "known".

Step 2: Becomes "famous".

Step 3: Becomes "cool". At this stage, not liking the trend is a way of being a rebel. It's usually considered cool by some people to not follow popular rends.

Step 4: "Oh, come on! People are obsessed! He/She/It is no big deal!" People reply with: "Uh... yeah, no you're totally right. I just sorta liked it."

Step 5: "Eh... it wasn't that good to begin with."

Step 6: "Pfft. Sucks. Anyone who likes this is stupid."

Step 7: "You know, it's not that bad. I sorta like it....."

Step 8: "Yeah, I guess it's OK to like it."

This applies to all trends, be they music, people, books, movies, shows, etc. Whether the music, person, book, movie, or show is good or not is unimportant.

Lady Gaga, I believe, is currently somewhere between Step 3 and 4.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-23, 10:32 AM
Fixed it for you.

Hell, I actually agree - I prefer Warren Zevon to Lady Gaga, hands down. But can we please be a little more evolved and rational in our assertions, here?

True. I haven't seen her perform. However, I have a feeling she doesn't have the same mastery of musical instruments that Zevon did. My father told me about a Zevon concert he attended where the man just bounced from instrument to instrument and played each one perfectly. It's why my brother practices so many different instruments now, and it's kind of the yardstick I use to judge artists now. If the artist can show the same kind of proficiency with a variety of instruments, then they immediately have my respect.

After writing that out I just realized I have a pretty unrealistic standard that most of my other favorite bands can't hope to match. :smallredface:

SilverSheriff
2010-03-23, 10:36 AM
My take on most trends:

Step 3: Becomes "cool". At this stage, not liking the trend is a way of being a rebel. It's usually considered cool by some people to not follow popular rends.

Step 4: "Oh, come on! People are obsessed! He/She/It is no big deal!" People reply with: "Uh... yeah, no you're totally right. I just sorta liked it."

If you skip stage 2 the trend stays perpetually at stage 3, just like Kamelot.:smallcool:

Forever Curious
2010-03-23, 10:37 AM
My take on most trends:

Step 2.5: Profit!

Fix'd.

Agreed. She's teetering on the edge of "fanatical obsession" and "desolate uncool". Of course, given her persona and style, she may just stay there...forever...

Surrealistik
2010-03-23, 10:38 AM
Boo, you forgot a d.

Stefani Germanotta devolved into... Lady Gaga!

Fixed.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-23, 10:38 AM
If you skip stage 2 the trend stays perpetually at stage 3, just like Kamelot.:smallcool:
Have they even released anything new lately? I feel like Epica and The Black Halo were their best albums, and now with Ghost Opera and whatever's come after that they're kind of going overboard with the "depressing subject material" angle.

SilverSheriff
2010-03-23, 10:57 AM
Have they even released anything new lately?

they are working on their 9th Album at the moment and plan on trying "new sounds" and plan to make the topics on said album more diverse. :smallcool:

Lets hope for another 'Epica' some time in the future though.

Rauthiss
2010-03-23, 10:59 AM
Have they even released anything new lately? I feel like Epica and The Black Halo were their best albums, and now with Ghost Opera and whatever's come after that they're kind of going overboard with the "depressing subject material" angle.
Agreed.

I love the steps above, and agree with the timeline and Lady Gaga'a point.

JonestheSpy
2010-03-23, 12:52 PM
True. I haven't seen her perform. However, I have a feeling she doesn't have the same mastery of musical instruments that Zevon did. My father told me about a Zevon concert he attended where the man just bounced from instrument to instrument and played each one perfectly. It's why my brother practices so many different instruments now, and it's kind of the yardstick I use to judge artists now. If the artist can show the same kind of proficiency with a variety of instruments, then they immediately have my respect.

After writing that out I just realized I have a pretty unrealistic standard that most of my other favorite bands can't hope to match. :smallredface:

Yeah, saying that someone is a more skilled musician is something it is possible to be objective about - that's actual critical analysis.

There's still that difference between "technically better musician" and "better". For instance, I get a lot more pleasure out of a passionate punk band that's barely mastered three chords than a highly proficient but boring as hell group like Steely Dan.

Mauve Shirt
2010-03-23, 03:11 PM
Gah, Poker Face was playing at the hair place I was just at, I will have it running through my head ALL EVENING.
I like Lady Gaga, but geez.

Mystic Muse
2010-03-23, 03:13 PM
Gah, Poker Face was playing at the hair place I was just at, I will have it running through my head ALL EVENING.
I like Lady Gaga, but geez.

get it out with brooklyn rage.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHi4Y0dyzqs

Lord Seth
2010-03-23, 05:22 PM
get it out with brooklyn rage.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHi4Y0dyzqsAnd when he releases the completed version of Leather Pants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRTU4b6Jyq8).

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-23, 05:30 PM
Play her songs at double speed. Some of them sound pretty good (at least to me)

Windows Media Player: CTRL+SHIFT+G (+N to go back to normal).

Mystic Muse
2010-03-23, 05:51 PM
And when he releases the completed version of Leather Pants (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRTU4b6Jyq8).

I am downloading this as soon as it comes out.

My sister is going to HATE ever riding in a car with me.

Haruki-kun
2010-03-23, 06:32 PM
Step 2.5: PROFIT!

Fix'd.

Heh. Well, of course, this is showbusiness we're talking about. No profit, no show.

Hadessniper
2010-03-24, 04:48 AM
I actually have been pondering her lately. I really only recently became aware of her when I found out that my cousin, who has always shared my tastes in music, likes her stuff. Before that I only knew her for the crazy clothes and that only from secondhand references.

So on my cousin's recommendation I looked into her music. I'll start with the good, Bad Romance is a legitimately good song. The rest of her stuff seems to just be pop trash. Sorta catchy and danceable but about as artistically honest as Wal-Mart. Her crazy persona seems to trick people into thinking she is artistic and edgy when in reality she is the creation of some marketing team.

I think it's possible that she could have been thumbing her nose at pop culture at first but people didn't get that it was sarcasm and she just decided to sell out, that or she was completely a corporate creation. I wasn't paying attention to her until she was crazy big so I can't say for sure, but I think the latter is probably more likely as she seemed to appear out of nowhere.

I mean it wouldn't be horribly hard to make her. Have her show up in the right places in the strange outfits, have her sing catchy soulless pop music, and make sure the media always has something about her to gossip over like a rumor that she's a dude.

Anyway I'll leave you with a cover of her horrible new song by the amazing youtube duo Pomplamoose. Seriously check it out Pomplamoose kicks major butt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vEStDd6HVY

banjo1985
2010-03-24, 05:13 AM
Bad Romance is annoyingly catchy, I find myself singing it to myself at innoportune moments. IMO she uses massive over-flamboyance as a cheap shock/differentiation tactic, which makes her quickly tiresome. She's got a lot more fame from her flamboyance than her talent, which is undeniable but not nearly commensurate to her fame.

Moonshadow
2010-03-24, 05:29 AM
Scout Romance is made of w1N!

Also, don't really care for her to be honest, Bad Romance is catchy enough that its bearable when it comes on the radio, wouldn't really actively listen though.

Also, Stefani is Bi? I thought she was asexual, I'm sure I've read something somewhere where she said that she just wasn't interested because she was married to her music or something.

Darth Mario
2010-03-24, 07:13 AM
Scout Romance is made of w1N!

Also, don't really care for her to be honest, Bad Romance is catchy enough that its bearable when it comes on the radio, wouldn't really actively listen though.

Also, Stefani is Bi? I thought she was asexual, I'm sure I've read something somewhere where she said that she just wasn't interested because she was married to her music or something.

I... think you read wrong, my friend.

Moonshadow
2010-03-24, 07:33 AM
Well, it was gossipy stuff on NineMSN, so that doesn't surprise me :smallbiggrin:

It did basically say that she shot down guys before they could use any pickup lines because she's so dedicated to her music, or some such.

skywalker
2010-03-24, 10:50 AM
I actually have been pondering her lately. I really only recently became aware of her when I found out that my cousin, who has always shared my tastes in music, likes her stuff. Before that I only knew her for the crazy clothes and that only from secondhand references.

So on my cousin's recommendation I looked into her music. I'll start with the good, Bad Romance is a legitimately good song. The rest of her stuff seems to just be pop trash. Sorta catchy and danceable but about as artistically honest as Wal-Mart. Her crazy persona seems to trick people into thinking she is artistic and edgy when in reality she is the creation of some marketing team.

I think it's possible that she could have been thumbing her nose at pop culture at first but people didn't get that it was sarcasm and she just decided to sell out, that or she was completely a corporate creation. I wasn't paying attention to her until she was crazy big so I can't say for sure, but I think the latter is probably more likely as she seemed to appear out of nowhere.

I mean it wouldn't be horribly hard to make her. Have her show up in the right places in the strange outfits, have her sing catchy soulless pop music, and make sure the media always has something about her to gossip over like a rumor that she's a dude.

I agree that she has had some great marketing, and is a creation. But I differ in that I believe she created herself, not some marketing team did it. Reasons why? She ain't that pretty, for one. The music industry likes to have something to build on, and I kinda doubt they'd pick her to start with. Second, rumors like "she's a dude" are not rumors that marketing types start. It's publicity, but it's not as good as some other (similarly outrageous) stories are.

GaGa is more like The-Dream: She spent time in the business behind the scenes writing and producing, and now she is getting time out in the spotlight.

She is married to Gavin Rossdale, lead singer for Bush. So, she might shoot guys down for an entirely different reason. :smallwink:

Haruki-kun
2010-03-24, 11:17 AM
WARNING!

HORRIBLY BAD JOKE AHEAD
http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/funny-graphs-gaga-steak.jpg

skywalker
2010-03-24, 11:34 AM
WARNING!

HORRIBLY BAD JOKE AHEAD
http://graphjam.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/funny-graphs-gaga-steak.jpg

How do you wake up Lady GaGa?

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-24, 04:09 PM
How do you wake up Lady GaGa?

Poke 'er face? :smalltongue:

In the extended version of her new song, there is an inmate who says something to the effect of "I told you she didn't have a d*ck."

I assume the internet will gladly accept this as proof that she is definitely a woman and never bring it up again :smallamused:

Moff Chumley
2010-03-26, 09:24 PM
Objection, your honor! This man lives in California!

Fair 'nuff. :smallcool: