PDA

View Full Version : A Cable Problem

Setra
2010-03-19, 03:08 PM
So here's the deal.. my mother lives in HER mother's backyard, in a travel trailer. They have cable. In the house her Tivo (with cable cards) works perfectly and gets all the channels.

However there is a 150ft line or so transferring the cable to the trailer. The cable does not work in the trailer, or at least none of the channels past basic (2-99). The cable USED to work perfectly but then it stopped one day and we can't figure out why, if it was broken why would it get basic but not extra channels?

Edit: Someone I talked to said something about a bigger cable, but I have no clue what exactly that would entail.

Erloas
2010-03-19, 06:10 PM
How many, if any, digital channels do you get at each location? I'm assuming you are just getting the analog channels. The digital ones run at a higher frequency and will be the first ones lost to noise (and internet over cable is even high, but that doesn't seem to be an issue here). It could just be the splitter, they do go bad sometimes. How is the signal on various channels that you are getting? Is there a lot of noise (generally white lines/spots), do some cut out, that sort of thing?

Daze
2010-03-19, 06:19 PM
Well if it's digital cable and there's not a second box hooked up legitamitely in the trailer, you will not get anything but the analog channels (the lower number cable channels included).

It's not like the old days Setra, where you could split to an infinite number of sets off one cable line/box. Nowadays, the digital box is a 2-way street... you read your info (the data being set to you, i.e. the "channels"), but the cable company can also read your info and they now have the capability to block the digital signal on a 2nd, 3rd or whatever line.

If you want full digital cable in the trailer you would need a 2nd box in there. Should only cost like $4-$6 dollars a month, depending on the company.

If your mom already has a 2nd box in there, then it just might be a problem with the actual cable or the box. Call cable tech support, they'll send someone out free to fix it (running a new "street" wire most likely).