PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Finding an item

fratar11
2010-03-19, 05:23 PM
Our DM announced that we will soon be fighting an >adult green dragon. I got cocky and told him i'll kill his dragon i 2 rounds tops (I'm an 8th level wizard). So naturally he figured i planned to use Shivering touch and told me that ill loose 3d6 dex in that 2 rounds, so i guess he'll give some magic item to the dragon that does some mirror spell thingie. I think it's an item from MIC but i can't find anything similar. Any of you guys know a similar item or a spell or SOMETHING that damn dragon could use against me? Please help, honor is at stake. Thanks!

BenTheJester
2010-03-19, 05:55 PM
Our DM announced that we will soon be fighting an >adult green dragon. I got cocky and told him i'll kill his dragon i 2 rounds tops (I'm an 8th level wizard). So naturally he figured i planned to use Shivering touch and told me that ill loose 3d6 dex in that 2 rounds, so i guess he'll give some magic item to the dragon that does some mirror spell thingie. I think it's an item from MIC but i can't find anything similar. Any of you guys know a similar item or a spell or SOMETHING that damn dragon could use against me? Please help, honor is at stake. Thanks!

He's the DM. He can make one if he wants to.

Lapak
2010-03-19, 06:14 PM
If the dragon is old enough, it could just have Spell Turning up and running if you're somehow making into a ranged attack. (If you're not making it a ranged attack, good luck getting into melee range and casting it.) That would do it quite handily. Though there's half a dozen other defenses he could have stacked under whatever reflective effect it has going, so I wouldn't count on it in the first place.

JasonP
2010-03-19, 06:26 PM
Probably a better thing to do would be to just find another way to fight/deal with the dragon.

Runestar
2010-03-19, 07:16 PM
Spell turning won't protect against ranged attacks, you might be thinking of ray deflection there.

But seriously, the DM could simply draw upon a debatable ruling that since dragons are immune to paralysis, they are also immune to having their dex reduced to zero (their AC and reflex saves would still suffer, but the penalties are now arguably more in line with what you would expect from a 3rd lv spell). :smalltongue:

An adult green dragon is cr13, with sr21 (assuming it is not a xorvintaal dragon), saves +17/+12/+15, not accounting for possible buffs such as protection from good.

If you want to affect it reliably, either use spells which ignore sr, or devote 1 4th lv slot/scroll for assay spell resistance from Spell Compendium (SC). Forget about trying to punch through its saves, so you want spells which ignore saves, or still have some effect on a successful save, such as ray of enfeeblement (empowered if possible), enervation, ray of exhaustion, as well as buff spells like haste. Maybe prepare at least 1 dispel magic if you think it will resort to buffing itself prior to combat. Even removing a simple mage armour or bull's strength can help turn the tide of battle. You should have the advantage in opposed caster lv checks, unless it took practiced spellcaster. :smallbiggrin:

Basically, I think the best strategy would still be to debuff the dragon and reducing it into bite sized chunks for your fighters. :smallsmile:

gallagher
2010-03-19, 08:00 PM
I don't remember if they are immune to poison, but if they are not, have the party rogue use some con affecting poison. For added fun, summon a swarm to attack the dragon, so he will be considered flanked

nooblade
2010-03-19, 08:10 PM
Tell your DM you were sorry for being cocky. Alternatively, smother over it by saying that you were pseudo-roleplaying your arrogant and prideful character.

Because the DM is worthy of fear. Or at least the ones I remember.

boomwolf
2010-03-19, 08:21 PM
Tip 1#-never get cocky at your DM.

Tip 2#-use "SR: no" spells. its pretty much your only shot at hitting him. (unless you got good spell penetration...)

Tip 3#-Anti stealth, greed dragons are good stealth despite their size.

Tip 4#-Make sure you can function underwater, because he sure can.

Tip 5#-Suggestion can hurt really bad. break enchantment is good to have.

Tip 6#-Protection from acid. that's his most powerful weapon, more then his natural attacks and spells.

Tip 7#-he casts spells too. be prepared for it. maybe he is old enough to have shivering touch as well.

Tip 8#-some DM's rule that the natural armor of dragons counts towards touch due to its magical nature (go figure.) so don't base your entire strategy on him being an easy touch target.

fratar11
2010-03-20, 01:00 AM
thanks for the tips guys:smallsmile: i appreciate it

Runestar
2010-03-20, 01:52 AM
Also note that 2 rays of exhaustion will make the dragon exhausted (even if he makes his saves on both). Maybe find some way of quickening your spells? There should be at least 1 such item in MIC available on the cheap. :smallsmile:

PinkysBrain
2010-03-20, 05:16 AM
Ring of Spell Battle (Complete Arcane) ... although it would be ridiculously expensive loot. Could be Manticore or Scorpion Parry from ToB too.

That said, stop metagaming and using cheesy broken spells :)

fratar11
2010-03-20, 05:55 AM
That said, stop metagaming and using cheesy broken spells :)

I know :smallsigh: I can't help myself