PDA

View Full Version : Confused about Save Caps (MnM)

Jallorn
2010-03-19, 05:27 PM
So I interpreted save (and attack, defense, etc.) caps as a cap for how high you can make the bonus from PPs, but a friend says that that's as high as you can have it regardless of any bonuses. Help?

GoatToucher
2010-03-19, 05:33 PM
The cap for saves is PL +5. That's a combined total of attribute bonuses and save ranks bought with PPs.

For the toughness save, you also have to consider your ranks in defense/dodge focus, as the combined total of the two scores cannot exceed PL x2. The same does for your attack score and the damage of your attacks.

Skills are different, as you can have PL +5 ranks in a skill,and then add up to PL +5 bonus ranks from the appropriate attribute. Thus, a PL 10 character can have up tp a +30 bonus on a skill check.

Jallorn
2010-03-19, 05:38 PM
That's stupid.

Sorry, but I think the rules would be better it was the way I thought it was, because as it is, stats are pretty much useless. Skill problems? Nope, just buy way more ranks in the skill. Saves? Cheaper to just buy a big bonus. And nothing else gets effected by them. I don't think it's very good.

OK, skill stuff ninja edit'd, but still...

GoatToucher
2010-03-19, 05:43 PM
But ranks in attributes give you bonuses in -everything- related to that attribute. Your Wisdom bonus, for example, adds to your attribute checks, your will save, and your Wis based skill checks.

Leaving your attributes low and buying up your saves and skills is certainly one way to go, but it is not the be all end all.

Nightson
2010-03-19, 06:50 PM
That's stupid.

It allows the system to function. Too much variance in save values makes it extremely difficult to adequately use effects against PCs. Anything that has a chance of hitting the specialized character will smash through anyone not specialized.

Tengu_temp
2010-03-19, 07:05 PM
That's stupid.

Sorry, but I think the rules would be better it was the way I thought it was, because as it is, stats are pretty much useless. Skill problems? Nope, just buy way more ranks in the skill. Saves? Cheaper to just buy a big bonus. And nothing else gets effected by them. I don't think it's very good.

OK, skill stuff ninja edit'd, but still...

Actually, no. The only stats where buying skills is usually cheaper are intelligence and charisma, and if you're using these you probably maxxed out the skills ranks anyway and want more, which is where the stat bonuses come into play. And that's aside pure ability rolls - you roll intelligence and intelligence only for Master Plan, for example.

Overall, the cap system works really well.