PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Character Design

Erts
2010-03-19, 08:44 PM
Okay, these are two characters which I'm designing for a campaign I'm playing based on 7 Samurai (if you have not heard of this 50's masterpiece of Japanese Cinema, watch it. Now. I'll wait.) You know, 7 adventurers hired to protect a town from bandits.

One I'm making a Gish.
Human Fighter 2/Wizard 4/ Spellsword 5/Eldritch Knight for the remaining levels.
Scores: 18 INT, 16 CON, 15 STR, 14 WIS, 13 DEX, 8 CHA
Any suggestions for weapon? School specialization? Spells? Feats?

The other I don't have much clue, supposed to be a "ranger" ish build. I'm doing a "Wood Halfling," basically a Halfling with +2 CON and -2 CHA (hardy and reclusive) with favored class Ranger.
I think that this is supposed to be a serious, angry character. The look on this character is exactly what I want, (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=6 ) but I'm not sure about the class it self. Definitely some part Ranger. Feats? Spells? Etc?

Thanks for the help.

Gerbah
2010-03-19, 08:51 PM
I know a dozen people will jump in here and yell "play a Duskblade"! So, I guess the first question would be "are you allowed to use that class?" then "do you WANT to play that class?". Duskblade is in Player's Handbook 2, and most folk prefer it as the "spellsword" class. It gains the ability to strike with a weapon and cast a spell at the same time indefinitely, however its spell selection is pretty limited, so that's up to you, but worth a look.

However, I have played a character rather similar to yours. I made a Fighter 1 / Wizard 5 / Eldritch Knight 4 (I think). Though I'd ask if perhaps you can use the Eldritch Knight from Pathfinder (wait, are you playing Pathfinder? If so, ignore this). You can look it up on the SRD, as I feel the 3.5 Eldritch Knight was pretty lack-luster (main changes are d10 HD, couple bonus feats and levels count as Fighter levels). For a weapon I recommend either a 2-handed weapon or a double-weapon (such as a double sword), that way you have a free hand to cast with. A nice type of armor (if it's allowed) is Blended Quartz, which I believe reduces arcane spell failure by 20% (though it's kinda pricey). Hm, if I remember anything else I'll post it. Good luck though, spell swords are my personal favorite arche-type!

RelentlessImp
2010-03-19, 08:56 PM
Human Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Knight Phantom 10/Abjurant Champion 4

End result: BAB 17, spells as 18th level Wizard.

Reasoning: Spellsword is a horrible, horrible choice for a gish character, as you lose too many spellcaster levels to be truly effective. Knight Phantom only requires you able to cast phantom steed, loses 1 spellcaster level, and actually gets class features as opposed to the Eldritch Knight, making it a superior choice. Abjurant Champion finishes the build with full BAB and full spellcasting.

Specialize in Divination, ban Evocation or Enchantment - I'd suggest Enchantment.

EDIT: Also, Knight Phantom lets you ignore ASF from light armor freely. So, all that Spellsword does with less lost caster levels.

Erts
2010-03-19, 09:12 PM
I agree with you on the Eldritch Knight, it seems to be fairly boring, not good from a RPing standpoint.
I think I would specialize in Transmutation.

Phantom Knight, eh... IDK.

I might ask my DM if I could alter the Spellsword to gain a spellcaster level every level. Hopefully, not too overpowered. Probably will be though...

RelentlessImp
2010-03-19, 09:42 PM
I agree with you on the Eldritch Knight, it seems to be fairly boring, not good from a RPing standpoint.
I think I would specialize in Transmutation.

Phantom Knight, eh... IDK.

I might ask my DM if I could alter the Spellsword to gain a spellcaster level every level. Hopefully, not too overpowered. Probably will be though...

The only way Spellsword would be overpowered would be to give it full spellcasting progression and make those levels count double. It still doesn't stack up against a full caster who takes Incantatrix or Initiate of the Sevenfold Veils or Dweomerkeeper (few things do); it would just wind up getting 9th level spells earlier with crappy class features.

Alternately, if you DON'T mind losing spellcasting levels, the Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) is a nice gish choice with flavorful (and fun!) class features. While it's sort of borderline on the First Commandment (Thou Shalt Not Lose Caster Levels), it also makes for a fun gish.

EDIT: Optimal Swiftblade build:
Wizard 6/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 5 (17 BAB, 17 Wizard casting)

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-19, 10:02 PM
It should be noted that spellsword is amazing for 1 level dips. Obviously Full casting spellsword would not be equal to incantatrix and IoT7FV, but those are generally acknowledged to be two of the most powerful wizard PrC's in existence (barring the utter absurdities of Tainted Scholar an the like of course)
A full spellcasting spellsword would be overpowered. Try 8/10 casting or something like that,

Soranar
2010-03-19, 11:33 PM
I leave the gish advice to those who play them regularly

As for the serious halfling

Here's a decent build I made a while back.

Race: Strongheart halfling (although any would do)
Alignment: Any nonlawful

Alternate class features and variants

hunting barbarian (from unearthed arcana)

you gain archery bonus feats like a ranger, favored enemies like a ranger
you lose every rage related ability

fox totem barbarian (from complete champion)

you gain +4 to move silently and hide (+8 if you count your race bonus makes you incredibly hard to find)
you lose fast movement

you gain +x dodge bonus (since it stacks with everything and affect touch AC, it's arguably better for this build)
you lose +x damage resistance

no reason to trade trap sense and uncanny dodge for anything

Eldariel
2010-03-20, 08:34 AM
Swiftblade is indeed one of the better Gishish classes. Wizard 5/Swiftblade 9/Abjurant Champion 5 or even Swiftblade 10 (you're weaker than with level 9 spells, obviously, but at least you get something good in this exchange in a super Time Stop).

Fighter 1/Wizard 5/Eldritch Knight 1/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Eldritch Knight -> is a fine basic Gish and there's also e.g. Paladin 2/Wizard 4/Spellsword 1/Abjurant Champion 5/Sacred Exorcist 8.

Then you have Warblade (or Crusader) 1/Wizard 4/Jade Phoenix Mage 10/Abjurant Champion 5 for a ToB version and such. All instances of Eldritch Knight could be replaced with Knight Phantom.

Pluto
2010-03-20, 12:29 PM
One I'm making a Gish.
Human Fighter 2/Wizard 4/ Spellsword 5/Eldritch Knight for the remaining levels.
Scores: 18 INT, 16 CON, 15 STR, 14 WIS, 13 DEX, 8 CHA
Any suggestions for weapon? School specialization? Spells? Feats?
Losing caster levels is going to get you some flak.
For Raw Ultimate Power, you'd do better to swap spellsword out for more caster-heavy levels like Abjurant Champion, Sacred Exorcist, Ruathar, and that lot.

But for most games, that's a good build. I've played it. Channeling is fun. Even with the CL delay, my character was playing the same game as ToB classes, but with much more out-of-combat versatility.

I used a Focused Transmuter and spammed Wraithstrike (CAdv/SpC), Power Attack and Rays with an occasional Polymorph for good measure. I relied pretty heavily on Practiced Spellcaster (CArc/CDiv), Quicken Spell and possibly Extend to keep buffs up, to keep Channeled spells punching through SR and to avoid spending in-combat actions casting buffs instead of hitting things.

If you want to improve the build and still channel spells like a spellsword, Raumathari battlemage (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20030413c) does the same thing as the 3.0 Spellsword. Updating it to the 3.5 Spellsword's Channeling mechanic would make a harder-hitting character than this who does the same thing (though it will be slightly more fragile if it's ever caught without buffs prepared).

The other I don't have much clue, supposed to be a "ranger" ish build. I'm doing a "Wood Halfling," basically a Halfling with +2 CON and -2 CHA (hardy and reclusive) with favored class Ranger.
I think that this is supposed to be a serious, angry character. The look on this character is exactly what I want, (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20050407b&page=6 ) but I'm not sure about the class it self. Definitely some part Ranger. Feats? Spells? Etc?
I feel like I've been plugging Radical Taoist's Sublime Way Ranger (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19519074/Sublime_Way_Variant_Ranger) a lot lately, but it mingles stealth, mobility and hard-hitting combat abilities very nicely. It should be on a similar power-scale to the Spellsword character.

Otherwise, Mystic Ranger (a variant in dragon magazine, also accessible on crystalkeep.com) with Spell Compendium and/or Champions of Ruin spell access makes archery powerful and fun. Again, this will play the same game as the Spellsword.

And Swift Hunter (CSco) builds are always popular because they're always effective. They let you Skirmish like a Scout (CAdv), punch through crit-immunities and still access some Ranger spells. I'm not such a fan of them, but YMMV. Scout 3/[Mystic] Ranger 17 is pretty standard.

Paul H
2010-03-27, 09:12 PM
Hi

Doesn't look like you're using Pathfinder, shame, since I'm currently working on a Sorc/Paladin/Dragon Disciple build.

Yes, you lose some BAB & Spell levels, (At 15th lvl CL 8, BAB +11), but I think the bonuses make up for it. For starters the Smite Evil ability in PF works for ALL attacks, until either you/your target go down, or you rest up for spells, etc.

So go large Gold Dragon form, full attack with 2xClaws, Bite, (Primary), and 2xWings and Tail (Secondary), adding your smite to all.

Cheers
Paul H