PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] A question about Artificer scroll use

mucat
2010-03-19, 10:35 PM
Hi all.

I recently began playing an artificer in a forum campaign here, and I ran across a question I can't answer about their scroll-crafting abilities.

According to the WOTC Errata on the class, a scroll which an artificer scribes is neither divine nor arcane, but is simply an "artificer scroll" which can't be used by any other caster class. Also, the artificer must make a UMD check of (20 + caster level) to activate the scroll, even if she crafted it herself.

So far, so good. What I'm wondering, though, is what ability score is required to activate the scroll. Activating a scroll normally requires an ability score of 10 + spell level. So if it's an artificer scroll containing, for example, cure serious wounds (usually a 3rd-level divine spell) does the artificer need to have a 13 intelligence (the main casting stat for artificers) or a 13 wisdom (because it's a divine spell)?

And in case it matters, I'm aware that, if necessary, she could make an additional UMD check to emulate an ability score that she doesn't have.

Thanks in advance to anyone who knows the answer to this...and if you can show me where to find an official ruling on it, that's better yet!

Graymayre
2010-03-19, 10:44 PM
I've always played that it was based off the spell list you took it from.

When an artificer makes something, he has to choose it from another caster's spell list and act as if he was that type of caster when he created it. A scroll of charm person from the bard's spell list would be based on your charisma with its use while the same spell from a wizard's spell list would be based on intelligence. The fact that it isn't divine or arcane is irrelevant. You still have to create it from a spell list.

This is not an official ruling but it seems like the most logical thing to me.

Gaiyamato
2010-03-20, 12:01 AM
The Eberron Campaign Setting book says on page 30 that you use a UMD roll to substitute for each spell required or each racial/alignment requirement that you cannot already meet.
So you only need Charisma and Intelligence to get the UMD stat high enough.

To activate the item you always require another UMD check.

Read pages 29-31 of the Eberron Campaign Setting book.