PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Tiered Skill Points.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-19, 10:38 PM
Would you say that skills should be tiered?
If yes then how would you tier them.

waterpenguin43
2010-03-19, 10:40 PM
Yes, but I don't have enough time to tier them all, all I know is this: Diplomacy>Knowledge>Spellcraft>All Else

DragoonWraith
2010-03-19, 11:00 PM
You don't have UMD (or UPD) in there. Diplomacy may be more powerful, depending on the campaign and how willing your DM is to throw common sense out the window, but UMD is very definitely more powerful than Knowledges.

Also, Autohypnosis is above-average. Better than the Knowledges, I'd think.

Anyway, seeing as this is the homebrew forum, I suspect Geiger had something different in mind. I think? But I don't know what he meant.

Jota
2010-03-19, 11:20 PM
Yes, but I don't have enough time to tier them all, all I know is this: Diplomacy>Knowledge>Spellcraft>All Else

Use Magic/Psionic Device?

EDIT: Ninja'd by a good 20 minutes. S'what I get for not refreshing the page.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-19, 11:24 PM
Anyway, seeing as this is the homebrew forum, I suspect Geiger had something different in mind. I think? But I don't know what he meant.

Just considering modifying the skill system.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-19, 11:29 PM
Yeah, but... what do you mean by "tiered"? Like, do you just want people's opinions on which are the best skills? Or what?

Geiger Counter
2010-03-19, 11:36 PM
Just thinking if some skills should have a higher cost, maybe have spellcraft/use?device/knowledge is worth two skill points, craft/profession with half a skillpoint and doubling the skill pool.

Fortuna
2010-03-19, 11:44 PM
The effect that you're looking for would seem to be roughly equivalent to just boosting the hell out of the DCs for those skills, yes?

Zexion
2010-03-19, 11:58 PM
Easier, and much less complicated: the two things that all people that use 3.5 hate.

Fortuna
2010-03-20, 12:04 AM
Easier, and much less complicated: the two things that all people that use 3.5 hate.

It's funny 'cause it's true!

Zexion
2010-03-20, 12:12 AM
It's funny 'cause it's true!

Exactly. That's the point.

Scow2
2010-03-20, 12:12 AM
The problem with boosting the DC's of skill use is it makes them inaccessible at low levels, but not-even-worth-rolling successes at higher ones (UMD and Tumble are potentially the worst offenders here), so no, boosting the DC's isn't really an option.

A better idea I think would be to divide the points into tiers, then partially disassociate the ranks with the actual modifier, so that 5 in a Tier 5 skill could give as much as a +10 to the mod, while 5 points in a Tier 1 skill would only give a +3...

Zexion
2010-03-20, 12:15 AM
Two. Words. Too. Complicated.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-20, 03:38 AM
The effect that you're looking for would seem to be roughly equivalent to just boosting the hell out of the DCs for those skills, yes?

I don't know what you mean, there would still be caps on how many points you can put into each skill, this only creates players with a more diverse skill set.

Eurus
2010-03-20, 05:02 AM
I don't know what you mean, there would still be caps on how many points you can put into each skill, this only creates players with a more diverse skill set.

Except it might have exactly the opposite effect, and force characters to use all of their skill points just to max out two or three "useful" skills and abandon the rest.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-20, 05:09 AM
Except it might have exactly the opposite effect, and force characters to use all of their skill points just to max out two or three "useful" skills and abandon the rest.

Caps. Maximum of 4 skill points in each skill at the first level, maximum of one skill point per skill at all other levels. And I do allow retraining.

Temotei
2010-03-20, 01:28 PM
Caps. Maximum of 4 skill points in each skill at the first level, maximum of one skill point per skill at all other levels. And I do allow retraining.

That doesn't give the fighter more skill points.

You'll have to completely rework all of the skill system if you plan on messing with the points each skill costs.

Fortuna
2010-03-20, 01:44 PM
If you implement this, people will have lower modifiers in powerful skills.
If people have lower modifiers, they will meet DCs less frequently.

HOWEVER

If DCs are higher, people will meet DCs less frequently.

Net result: the same.

Eurus
2010-03-20, 01:59 PM

Sorry, I wasn't quite clear about what I meant. What I'm saying is, if you make Use Magic Device more expensive, the rogue is still going to put 3+level ranks in it. That's just that many less points that he'll have to spend on things like Gather Information and Knowledge: Local. Ditto for the Bard; he's probably going to invest 3+level ranks in Diplomacy whether it costs double or triple, it's the less-useful skills that are going to feel the cutbacks.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-20, 02:16 PM
Mostly, skillmonkeys don't need the nerf.

I just don't think this is a good idea.

Arbitrarity
2010-03-20, 02:21 PM
Sorry, I wasn't quite clear about what I meant. What I'm saying is, if you make Use Magic Device more expensive, the rogue is still going to put 3+level ranks in it. That's just that many less points that he'll have to spend on things like Gather Information and Knowledge: Local. Ditto for the Bard; he's probably going to invest 3+level ranks in Diplomacy whether it costs double or triple, it's the less-useful skills that are going to feel the cutbacks.

and doubling the skill pool.

Well, that solves that.

Eurus
2010-03-20, 02:48 PM
Well, that solves that.

Oops, missed that part. I don't know, I just feel like it either won't make a difference at all, or will but not in the desired way. I may well be wrong, though; some playtesting would be needed to find out.

Nero24200
2010-03-20, 03:29 PM
Well, if played RAW, diplomacy is pretty much the win skill. Other social skills can be as well (Bluff, Intimidate) With a high enough bonus you can convince kings to give you their crowns. It doesn't help that theres already spells that can add to the effect (Charm making target's already view you as friendly, Glibness etc).

Zeta Kai
2010-03-20, 06:36 PM
The Skills, ranked from most useful to least useful:

Diplomacy: Immune to any creature with an Intelligence over 2.
UMD/UPD: Abusing items for fun & profit.
Knowledge: Divination is now a skill check away.
Tumble: Attack of Whatortunity?
Spellcraft: Making non-casters cry since 2000.
Jump: Flight for Dummies.
Listen/Spot: If you don't have this, every enemy gets a surprise round.
Hide/Move Silently: Invisibility for Dummies. Surprise Round for Smarties.
Concentration: Are you a caster? Yes? Do you like failing? No? Then take this.
Search: When are you not looking for something?
Appraise: How much is this 500gp jewel worth?
Heal: Uh, you need this why? You can't cast cure something wounds?! I'm boned.
Speak Language: Anything worth talking to already speaks Common, & most things communicate with swords anyway.