PDA

View Full Version : Adding dex to damage?

rubycona
2010-03-20, 12:35 AM
I've heard there's a feat somewhere in 3.5 that lets you add your Dex to your Damage with melee weapons (presuming weps in conjunction with Weapon Finesse)

Do you guys know this feat? If so, do you know where / what book I can find it in?

Thanks! :D

Sir Homeslice
2010-03-20, 12:38 AM
Shadow Blade, a feat in Tome of Battle. Only works with certain weapons.

FishAreWet
Just save this link. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=125732)

Sucrose
Shadow Blade, from Tome of Battle, allows it with Shadow Hand weapons in a Shadow Hand stance.

tyckspoon
2010-03-20, 12:42 AM
There's a couple of class features that do it. Feat-wise, the one most people go to is Shadow Blade from Tome of Battle, which is unfortunately a little restricted- it requires you to be in a Shadow Hand stance and using a Shadow Hand weapon. If you don't dip Swordsage to get it that means taking at least three feats (Martial Study for a Shadow Hand feat, qualifying for Martial Stance to take a Shadow Hand stance, and finally Shadow Blade to actually get the benefit. At least they're all good feats separately, but it's a big investment) And once you've got it you're left with about six weapons you can use, although most of them are also pretty traditional for a Dex-build; it includes the rapier and the spiked chain.

If you feel like homebrewing, there really should just be something along the lines of
Improved Weapon Finesse
Requires: Weapon Finesse
Benefit: You may use your Dex modifier in place of your Strength modifier when deal damage with a weapon.
Normal: You don't do that.

It's crazy how many hoops you have to jump through to make a Dex-fighter really work.

CheshireCatAW
2010-03-20, 01:36 AM
Shadow Hand having been stated and to piggyback on the previous house rules suggestion;

I play with Weapon Finesse as an ability intrinsic to finessable weapons. I have considered making the Weapon Finesse feat give DEX to Damage. I've shied away from it because DEX is already such a strong stat that taking away from STR seems unfair. However, perhaps ask if you can get 1/2 DEX to damage with the Weapon Finesse feat. It would make it more versatile and not as much of a "feat tax" as it currently is for DEX based Fighters, Melee Rangers, Bards and Rogues (to a lesser extent, their sneak attack offsets much of the straight damage loss MOST of the time).

Another point to note, you might want to make the DEX to damage overlap, no stack, with the STR bonus to damage.

Danin
2010-03-20, 04:42 AM
Champion of Corellon in Races of the Wild adds it. Decent class but a little painful to get into.

Merk
2010-03-20, 07:32 AM
Depending on how many levels you have flexible and what your abilities are, you could do something like Swordsage 1 / Swashbuckler 3 / Other Classes +X

Gets you Weapon Finesse free, take shadow hand, get INT and DEX to damage.

DragoonWraith
2010-03-20, 09:03 AM
Getting Dex to damage is one of the most stupidly difficult things to do in this game. Doubling, even tripling Strength to damage? Easy. Int to damage? Trivial. Charisma or Wisdom to damage? Quite a few ways to do it. Dexterity? Incredibly limited and hard to do. Only Con is harder, and that's because one of the few wise things WotC did was greatly limit the number of things Con affected since it already affected the most important stat in the game.

Gametime
2010-03-20, 10:46 AM
The best option, for fighters, is the ACF in Drow of the Underdark. (It's implied but never stated to be Drow-specific, so check with your DM.)

You give up heavy armor and tower shields, never of which a dexterous fighter is likely to use, and get a +2 bonus on initiative checks and add your dex bonus to damage against flat-footed foes. It's a little more restrictive than I'd like, but you don't add dex instead of strength, so that's nice. Another problem is that it's a competence bonus instead of untyped, but what can you do?

There's also a magic sword from the Arms and Equipment Guide that gives you dex to damage all the time instead of strength, but it's extremely expensive.

Person Man's thread really is a wonderful resource.