PDA

View Full Version : Tibbit Magician

Darth Stabber
2010-03-20, 02:08 AM
So I am looking at playing a Tibbit (Dragon Compendium) at some point in the near future, and am trying to find some sort of magician type class to play that I can use magic while in cat form. Traditional casters are right out as even natural spell doesn't affect a tibbit's cat form, and I would rather not resort to asking for a homebrew solution.

Thoughts so far
Warlock - I think I can use invocations in cat form, Fun renames like Hideous Scratch, Eldrich furball, and such
Dragon Shaman - Firebreathing kitty
Psion - telepath naturally, I SUGGEST you rub my belly
Wilder- Turning awakened animals into Pokemon since XPH was printed
Totemist - Though I don't think I like the look of soulmelds on a cat
Incarnate - same as above, only I don't like this class to start with.
Binder - same as totemist, but less obvious
Truenamer - As it turns out the language the universe was created in was meows (jk, I think this class should be avoided entirely, infact Binding is the only good thing in tome of magic)

qoalabear
2010-03-20, 02:52 AM
Unfortunately, the warlock description specifies (under the armor section) "all
invocations, including eldritch blast, have a somatic component," which may put a damper on using them in kitty-form.

Dragonfire Adept is also an option for firebreathing kitty. It's invocations also suffer from somatic components, but I think the breath effect is still usable as a kitty.

Factotum casts arcane spells as spell-like abilities (avoiding arcane spell failure), so might be able to use magic as a kitty. It'd be fun for the kitty to be capable of nearly anything.

Regardless, the image of a kitty breathing fire or shooting eldritch hairballs is definitely worth the effort. :smallbiggrin: Savage Species has the monstrous feat "Surrogate Spellcasting" which allows you to replace somatic and verbal components with motions and sounds appropriate to your form. Depends whether or not the Tibbit's transformation ability qualifies for "nonhumanlike form."

Ernir
2010-03-20, 07:28 AM
Firebreathing cat.

You must do it.

boomwolf
2010-03-20, 08:02 AM
Psionic cat seems to be the funniest to me...

Altough they already moved passed it with psionic ham sandwich....(yea. I saw that happening. he died getting eaten by a bugbear.)

Xallace
2010-03-20, 08:11 AM
I'd say Psion or Wilder. Pick up some Clairsentience powers to emulate the whole "What's your cat staring at?" deal. Telepathy for general catitude, and of course some Psychoportation because of course all cats can teleport.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-20, 08:18 AM
One of the faerun books has a feat that was supposed to be for lycanthrope casters. Can't remember what one though. it let them cast in animal shape

TheSteelRat
2010-03-20, 08:37 AM
I do believe there's a Feat designed for monsters that would allow those normally unable to cast spells because of somatic components to do so. Not sure if you want to burn a feat on it, but that might allow a Warlock build(one of my favorites for small animal PCs).

Optimystik
2010-03-20, 11:36 AM
Tibbit Psion/Wilder is definitely the best idea. Even better, get a commoner to wear robes, spout gobbledygook and wiggle his fingers whenever you manifest powers, but pretend to be his "familiar."

Darth Stabber
2010-03-20, 12:51 PM
Tibbit Psion/Wilder is definitely the best idea. Even better, get a commoner to wear robes, spout gobbledygook and wiggle his fingers whenever you manifest powers, but pretend to be his "familiar."

I think we have a winner. as long as he doesn't treat me like Belkar did that skull.

Optimystik
2010-03-20, 05:42 PM
I think we have a winner. as long as he doesn't treat me like Belkar did that skull.

How could he? A commoner can't even take on a regular housecat, never mind a Tibbit :smalltongue:

Darth Stabber
2010-03-20, 07:00 PM
How could he? A commoner can't even take on a regular housecat, never mind a Tibbit :smalltongue:

Good point. I think I have to take black dragon breath, and rename it Very Bad Hairball

AbyssKnight
2010-03-20, 08:32 PM
The Savage Species feat is Surrogate Spellcasting (Wis 13, nonhumanoid form), it allows you to make verbal and somatic components as long as you can vocalize and gesture. Material components can still be a problem, but Eschew Materials can help with that.

This opens up traditional casters and Warlock from your list.

I don't know a feat for lycanthropes, the Black Blood Hunter gets a class feature to cast spells in alternate forms.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-20, 09:18 PM
the Beguiler class would fit a tibbit very well.

however, you wouldn't be able to cast spells as a cat =/

Darth Stabber
2010-03-20, 10:01 PM
I can't bring myself to play a beguiler because bard exists. Bard isn't better, but I like it more. On that note, inspire courage, with meows??????? oh wait language, though I could inspire a cat familiar or animal companion.

HunterOfJello
2010-03-20, 10:30 PM
do perform: purring and consider it a form of singing

absolmorph
2010-03-20, 11:58 PM
do perform: purring and consider it a form of singing
Perform: Dance
Dancing cat that inspires people to hit harder.

Rainbownaga
2010-03-21, 01:05 AM
Probably not relevant, but reserve feats are usable in animal form.

That said I'd second psion.

Darth Stabber
2010-03-21, 01:35 AM
Or I could be a tibbet cleric of Ceiling Cat, or, if evil, Basement Cat.

Darth Stabber
2010-03-21, 01:36 AM
and rename all my spells in LOL
Cure light = Restore Light Flavor
Inflict light = Take Light Flavor

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-03-21, 01:53 AM
I'd say Psion or Wilder. Pick up some Clairsentience powers to emulate the whole "What's your cat staring at?" deal. Telepathy for general catitude, and of course some Psychoportation because of course all cats can teleport.

http://www.apathymachine.com/gallery/d/604-2/thinking_with_portals.png

Someone had to say it.

magic9mushroom
2010-03-21, 04:41 AM
Erudite. Be a parasite.

DementedFellow
2010-03-21, 12:51 PM
How about you adjust the flavor of the somatic component of Warlock SLAs and just say the flick of your tail is the somatic part?

Optimystik
2010-03-21, 12:58 PM
How about you adjust the flavor of the somatic component of Warlock SLAs and just say the flick of your tail is the somatic part?

Because without the feat in Savage Species, you explicitly need a hand to perform somatic components.

DementedFellow
2010-03-21, 01:09 PM
Because without the feat in Savage Species, you explicitly need a hand to perform somatic components.

I don't feel as if one should have to waste a feat on something that should go without saying, in much the same way that a DM would rule that a monk is proficient with his fists.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-03-21, 01:14 PM
I don't feel as if one should have to waste a feat on something that should go without saying, in much the same way that a DM would rule that a monk is proficient with his fists.

Welcome to RAW 3.5, where shoving in your head in water can heal you of NI damage and saying "Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu" can begin the song that ends all worlds everywhere, anywhen.

Optimystik
2010-03-21, 01:50 PM

Welcome to RAW 3.5, where shoving in your water can heal you of NI damage and saying "Pazuzu Pazuzu Pazuzu" can begin the song that ends all worlds everywhere, anywhere.

It's not just RAW though, it's RAI. If they wanted you to be able to perform somatic components with any body part, they wouldn't have created the feat to bypass that restriction.

Also, if somatic components didn't need the hands, there'd be no point to tying casters up. If I can cast spells by wiggling my toes/nose/ears, then what would be the point of ropes and grappling?

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-03-21, 01:55 PM
It's not just RAW though, it's RAI. If they wanted you to be able to perform somatic components with any body part, they wouldn't have created the feat to bypass that restriction.

Also, if somatic components didn't need the hands, there'd be no point to tying casters up. If I can cast spells by wiggling my toes/nose/ears, then what would be the point of ropes and grappling?

Yeah, true, but I didn't have anything for humor on the RAI at the moment.