Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 8 hours
Range: Infinite
Target: See text
Duration: Concentration
Save: See text

This spell reaches backwards in time and freezes motion of stars and planets briefly. This has the effect of causing the entire sky to light up blinding white, forcing anyone who can see it to make a Fortitude save or be permanently blinded every round.

The caster must maintain concentration as long as they wish this spell to be maintained. To end the spell, they must declare that they wish to do so and then spend a minute in such deep concentration that they are helpless. If this process is interupted, or their concentration is interupted, the kinetic energy is permitted to return prematurely, but a small fragment of it is released in the caster's body, killing them instantly. Interrupting the spell during casting does not have this effect.

Little Little Doctor
Evocation
Level: Sor/Wiz 9
Components: V, S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Long
Target: 10'x10'x10' cube
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: Reflex negates
Spell Resistance: Yes

This spell negates the strong nuclear force momentarily in the target area. Any creature within the area is permitted a Reflex save to escape, but if they fail they are completely destroyed, and can only be recovered by True Ressurection or the like. In addition, everything within ten feet of the target area suffers 15d6 points of untyped damage due to the fact that the spell obeys conservation of energy and loses a tiny fraction of the energy involved.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-03-20, 02:53 AM
I'm no cosmologist but I don't think Olbers' Paradox would work as described
in other words: nice effect but BS fluff IMO

same for the other, only the fluff might be scientifically ok,
but physics talk in a fantasy setting?
meh

ZerglingOne
2010-03-20, 03:42 AM
Oh they'd work. In the case of olbers, think of it this way. If you could stop all of the stars at some point in the past at a distance when the light of every star in the sky (including ones you can't see) would arrive at the earth at the same instant, it would make the sky blindingly bright.

In the case of the Strong Nuclear force, we're talking about something that holds every single atom together within an area. It would utterly destroy anything in that area if you negated it momentarily.

You should have made one that temporarily negates the electromagnetic force, causing people to fall (undisturbed) to the core of the planet and die.

Agi Hammerthief
2010-03-20, 04:29 AM
Oh they'd work. In the case of olbers, think of it this way. If you could stop all of the stars at some point in the past at a distance when the light of every star in the sky (including ones you can't see) would arrive at the earth at the same instant, it would make the sky blindingly bright.
"some point in the past" would be a diferent one for every single star, going back as far as a few million years etc.
It's the "briefly" in the first sentence I'm referring to.
redshift is a problem too,
plus 1/rr: the further away the star the longer you have to stop time to significantly increase it's contribution to the skys brightness

and yes I'm sure number 2 would work, but what is the point of the physics fluff?

Desintegrate works perfectly well with a nondescript "gray ray" that springs from the casters finger.
D&D is based on magic with sometimes a bit gunpowder. Who cares (or even knows) about nuclear forces?

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-20, 09:34 AM
So the paradox blinds everyone in the entire universe? :smalleek:
Seems more like an Epic spell to me.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-20, 12:28 PM
So the paradox blinds everyone in the entire universe? :smalleek:
Seems more like an Epic spell to me.

No, just those on the caster's world; the alignment would only work there, and every other location would have a bright sky with plenty of holes in it.

Milskidasith
2010-03-20, 01:12 PM
No, just those on the caster's world; the alignment would only work there, and every other location would have a bright sky with plenty of holes in it.

By logic, yes.

By the rules, it's range is infinite, so everybody gets blinded.

Also, good Ender's Game reference for the Little Doctor.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-20, 01:24 PM
By logic, yes.

By the rules, it's range is infinite, so everybody gets blinded.

Also, good Ender's Game reference for the Little Doctor.

The range is infinite, but the particular conjunction created would only completely fill the sky of the caster's location, so you couldn't guarantee blinding anywhere else.

Milskidasith
2010-03-20, 02:26 PM
The range is infinite, but the particular conjunction created would only completely fill the sky of the caster's location, so you couldn't guarantee blinding anywhere else.

Again you are bringing logic into RAW, which doesn't work. The range is infinite. It doesn't matter if it's illogical, it blinds everything.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-20, 03:57 PM
Again you are bringing logic into RAW, which doesn't work. The range is infinite. It doesn't matter if it's illogical, it blinds everything.

By RAW, it lights up "the entire sky". The sky of your world is not space as a whole, so by whatever logic you want to use, only the caster's location is affected.

Zexion
2010-03-20, 07:34 PM
These spells are awesome. Olber's paradox would also trigger saves on other planets, would it not?

Rainbownaga
2010-03-21, 02:06 AM
A level 9 spell that can be negated by being underground in a game called dungeons and dragons...

Seems the right level of power to be an evocation spell :smalltongue:

Edit: Wow, and you also have a chance to die instantly if the casting goes wrong. So it's completely awesome demonstration of power that has a fairly negligible in-combat effect. Definitely evocation.

Edit 2: Can't really see any PC using this, but this makes for an awesome McGuffin spell either for the BBEG (or the good guys with sufficient motivation).

Does it come with Triffids?

Agi Hammerthief
2010-03-22, 01:36 AM
good Ender's Game reference for the Little Doctor.
I totally mised that

wasn't the <Dr. a chain reaction effect in Ender's Game?
i.e.: the whole planet would blow up?

Fortuna
2010-03-22, 01:52 AM
That's why it's a little little doctor.

absolmorph
2010-03-22, 02:00 AM
That's why it's a little little doctor.
'cause it replicates the Little Doctor effect in a smaller area, without a chain reaction.

Someone should make a Little Doctor spell, now.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-22, 10:09 AM
'cause it replicates the Little Doctor effect in a smaller area, without a chain reaction.

Someone should make a Little Doctor spell, now.

That's easy. Copy-paste the little little doctor and change "Target: 10'x10'x10' cube" to "Area: Yes." :smallwink:

Lysander
2010-03-22, 10:47 AM
Olber's Paradox is definitely an epic spell. Anything that can potentially blind the majority of creatures on even one planet would require an insanely difficult spellcraft check. For comparison look at Rain of Fire, an epic spell that also affects a large area, but in that case just a 2-mile radius. I'm sure that freezing planets in space and reaching through time would have all kinds of bizarre side-effects, so you might be better off just saying the spell involves putting very bright magical lights in orbit.

Lix Lorn
2010-03-25, 07:17 AM
That's easy. Copy-paste the little little doctor and change "Target: 10'x10'x10' cube" to "Area: Yes." :smallwink:
That's just the funniest thing i've heard for a long time. XD