PDA

View Full Version : Need to rework an item...

Serenity
2010-03-20, 08:23 AM
Maybe this belongs on the Homebrew forum, I don't know...

But anyway, the thing is this: I'm runningmy players through Rise of the Runelords adventure path from Paizo. In the next section, one of the treasures they can discover is a substance called Ethillion. A pool of raw Ethillion drains away the magic of items placed into it; once the pool has been 'charged' in this manner, a flask of the stuff contains 100 XP that can be put towards crafting an item or casting XP cost spells.

Problem is, my game doesn't use XP costs. So I'm stuck for what the Ethillion does instead. Any ideas?

magic9mushroom
2010-03-20, 08:25 AM

But anyway, the thing is this: I'm runningmy players through Rise of the Runelords adventure path from Paizo. In the next section, one of the treasures they can discover is a substance called Ethillion. A pool of raw Ethillion drains away the magic of items placed into it; once the pool has been 'charged' in this manner, a flask of the stuff contains 100 XP that can be put towards crafting an item or casting XP cost spells.

Problem is, my game doesn't use XP costs. So I'm stuck for what the Ethillion does instead. Any ideas?

Make it act like a Candle of Invocation. While under its effects, you count as a level higher (or two, or three) for the purposes of casting.

Serenity
2010-03-20, 08:28 AM
Hmm, it already has a secondary effect of giving you +2 CL if you use it as an additional material component for abjuration spells. I would like it to still aid crafting in some way, since it's found in a massive magical research lab that's it's own demiplane...

magic9mushroom
2010-03-20, 08:42 AM
Hmm, it already has a secondary effect of giving you +2 CL if you use it as an additional material component for abjuration spells. I would like it to still aid crafting in some way, since it's found in a massive magical research lab that's it's own demiplane...

Well, if you don't use XP for crafting, that's kinda hard to do, I mean, crafting only requires gold, XP, time, and a feat.

Kol Korran
2010-03-20, 09:25 AM
here's an idea: the imbiber of this liquid gains a great clarity to the way magic works, but only for a while. the new found "genius" can be used either to gain CL to spells (doesn't have to be only abjuration) or help in creating magical item. how? by giving the benefits of the various "X artisan" feats in Eberron- basically the character only "pay" 75% of material gold or time, or both!

another (potential) added quality: the CL of the caster can be +3 for the purpose of meeting the requisites of creating magic items (so a 9th level caster could craft 12th level item/s, such as a +4 bonus weapon, or as ring, or staff...)

good enough for you?

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-20, 09:30 AM

How do you normally deal with crafting?

ClockShock
2010-03-20, 09:40 AM
Well, if you don't use XP for crafting, that's kinda hard to do, I mean, crafting only requires gold, XP, time, and a feat.

I believe Kol Korran mentioned it as well. But you've already provided a list of three other things which this item could affect.

OP, take your pick.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-20, 09:41 AM
Are the time costs still the same in your game?

In most games the time for crafting more expensive items is quite prohibitive.

Serenity
2010-03-20, 02:00 PM
Pretty much, I've just dropped XP costs, and left the other necessities of crafting in place, largely unchanged.

Kol Korran's suggestion sounds perfect. Thanks guys!