PDA

View Full Version : GURPS Skills Question

dragonfan6490
2010-03-20, 02:24 PM
So I'm playing in a GURPS game tomorrow and I'm working on my character. I'm a little confused on how skills work. How many points do they cost? How are they used for skill checks? Basically I need to know what I need to know about skills to function and make a competent character.

Satyr
2010-03-20, 02:33 PM
That depends on the difficulty of tha skill. Usually, a skill costs 1 point for the entry level, and increases one point per increase.

Skill checks work like all checks - roll 3d6, lower or equal to your level.

Tinydwarfman
2010-03-20, 02:50 PM
Everybody needs and uses skills. They default to different things depending on how hard the skill is. Easy defaults to your attribute, average is the attribute -1, hard is -2, very hard is -3. It costs 1 point to put your first point in, and additional point for the second, 2 points for the third and four points for every point after that. example: Barry has 12 DX. He wants 1 point in Brawling, so he spends 1 point for a skill of 12. If he wanted 3 points in the skill he would have to spend 4 points total, for a skill of 14. A skill of 15 would be 8 points, 16 would be 12 points, ect.

1, 2, 4, 8, 12, 16, 20, ect.