PDA

View Full Version : Fun with Miracle!

Drevius
2010-03-20, 02:47 PM
so I have 1 use and only 1 use of miracle to invest at the moment, and I do have a few ideas on how to use it, nothing too fancy but was wondering of any good ways to spend a miracle?

Greenish
2010-03-20, 02:50 PM
Get a cup of really good tea.

mostlyharmful
2010-03-20, 02:53 PM
the big 5kxp version or the lesser one? I'll assume the big labowski for the sake of hilarity...

1. Superpowers! Permenantly add some cool buff or other
2. A whole new you! Change base race or otherwise totally rebuild the character ala the Wish rules in Unearthed Arcana
3. Shinies! Miracle up some uber-powerful magic item or even an artifact
4. Fly my pretties! Conjure up some powerful sidekick-esque minions to serve as a cohort
5. Check my ride! as above but with a mount suitablly swanky (dragon, huge abberation, giant Nightmare, whatever...)
6. I am the Boomstick! Internalize one of your spells, ala Innate Spell feat

Frozen_Feet
2010-03-20, 02:58 PM
To summarize, wishing for money, power or friends can neve go wrong.

You could also wish for a really snazzy hat. Or a huge, danger-filled dungeon to overcome. Or map to world's greates treasure. Or wish to know what's the bad guy's biggest weakness.

gallagher
2010-03-20, 02:58 PM
the big 5kxp version or the lesser one? I'll assume the big labowski for the sake of hilarity...

1. Superpowers! Permenantly add some cool buff or other
2. A whole new you! Change base race or otherwise totally rebuild the character ala the Wish rules in Unearthed Arcana
3. Shinies! Miracle up some uber-powerful magic item or even an artifact
4. Fly my pretties! Conjure up some powerful sidekick-esque minions to serve as a cohort
5. Check my ride! as above but with a mount suitablly swanky (dragon, huge abberation, giant Nightmare, whatever...)
6. I am the Boomstick! Internalize one of your spells, ala Innate Spell feat

i support option 3. it is always fun to somehow gain an artifact, and then there can be some npc group that is questing for it, and you have to defend the artifact.

then when you kill that group, loot the bodies. you now have awesome item and money to buy more awesome items. i mean, if they were questing for it and are powerful enough to challenge you for the artifact, then you can assume that they have many shineys

Ravens_cry
2010-03-20, 03:02 PM
i support option 3. it is always fun to somehow gain an artifact, and then there can be some npc group that is questing for it, and you have to defend the artifact.

then when you kill that group, loot the bodies. you now have awesome item and money to buy more awesome items. i mean, if they were questing for it and are powerful enough to challenge you for the artifact, then you can assume that they have many shineys
That's assuming that you win.

drengnikrafe
2010-03-20, 07:42 PM
How about this:

Figure out major things within your character. DO NOT think about what you, as a player, want. Think about what your character would want. Try to advance the plot. Try to get some artifact that your character would want, but can lead to more plot, like a piece of equipment as part of a set from the MIC that your character would want. Ask your DM to build some of an adventure around those.

Whatever you do, just make sure it makes sense to your character, and to the balance of the campaign.

KellKheraptis
2010-03-20, 07:48 PM
Of all the options presented, MostlyHarmful hit the nail on the head with option 2 in his post. And it doesn't just have to be a crunch change, either. Imagine this...you're a Wizard wishing to live forever. Easiest way without turning into a rotting corpse? Abjuration. And a way of making said Abjuration last a looong time. Miracle to rebuild! Already done that? Miracle to remove banned schools! FS is balanced by losing 2-3 schools. Imagine getting bonus spell slots without losing anything? Sounds like Domain Wizard, only with more slots.

Golden-Esque
2010-03-20, 08:45 PM
I think the most important question that no one has asked is "What is the source of the miracle?" If you're getting Miracle-level magic from an untrustworthy source, well when you wish to "live forever," you might find yourself under the effects of an Imprison spell for all time that no one knows how to break you loose from ....

Myou
2010-03-20, 08:58 PM
How about this:

Figure out major things within your character. DO NOT think about what you, as a player, want. Think about what your character would want. Try to advance the plot. Try to get some artifact that your character would want, but can lead to more plot, like a piece of equipment as part of a set from the MIC that your character would want. Ask your DM to build some of an adventure around those.

Whatever you do, just make sure it makes sense to your character, and to the balance of the campaign.

This is a much better idea. :smallsmile:

Nerocite
2010-03-20, 09:04 PM
Or ask the rest of the group what they want, go for something that will help all y'all.

Archpaladin Zousha
2010-03-20, 09:05 PM
This is a much better idea. :smallsmile:

I concur.

Also, keep in mind that Miracle has an important stipulation that Wish doesn't. Your deity ultimately decides whether to grant the boon you ask or not. He or she can always say no. I'm not sure if that expends the miracle or not, but to play it safe, think carefully about what you (as a character) want, something that is within the bounds of your god's power and something that god would reasonably agree to do. This is calling in a favor from your god. It's not something to be taken lightly.

And also, usually your deity won't use quibbles to screw you like sadistic DMs to with Wish...usually. If your god's evil then you should be careful, because evil gods are sadistic bastards. And if your god's Olidammara? Be EXTRA careful, because even if Olidammara does exactly what you ask him, he'll probably humiliate you in the process for kicks. And if he does, just laugh along with him.

Zeta Kai
2010-03-20, 09:13 PM
Remember that miracle, like wish, is basically a codified appeal to your DM to hook you up. So, the value of your miracle is dependent on whose on the other side of the screen. Know them, & understand what they are likely to give you, & you've answered your own question.

Will the DM give you a Monty Hall if you ask for it, with no strings attached? Or will he punish your character for using the miracle to ask politely for a sandwich?

Jack_Simth
2010-03-20, 09:32 PM
so I have 1 use and only 1 use of miracle to invest at the moment, and I do have a few ideas on how to use it, nothing too fancy but was wondering of any good ways to spend a miracle?
... if you were casting it yourself, I'd suggest Permanency; there's a lot of useful spells on the Cleric list that are also on the Permanency list. But eh, find something to advance the plot.

Evard
2010-03-20, 09:54 PM
Step 1: Find out what plane/planet/area the BBEG lives
Step 2: Buy as many portable holes as you can (a lot!)
Step 3: Buy as many bags of holding as you can (a lot!)
Step 4: rig them up so where the PH will fall into the bags of holding after being thrown.
Step 5: Use Miracle to wish for a gate or some other teleportation spell to go directly where the BBEG
Step 6: Chuck the PH+BoH into said gate
Step 7: Fell a disturbance in the force as the BBEG gets sucked in..

Or you could do this to a town if you are evil (or the town is) *shrug*

Hawriel
2010-03-20, 10:35 PM
I concur.

Also, keep in mind that Miracle has an important stipulation that Wish doesn't. Your deity ultimately decides whether to grant the boon you ask or not. He or she can always say no. I'm not sure if that expends the miracle or not, but to play it safe, think carefully about what you (as a character) want, something that is within the bounds of your god's power and something that god would reasonably agree to do. This is calling in a favor from your god. It's not something to be taken lightly.

And also, usually your deity won't use quibbles to screw you like sadistic DMs to with Wish...usually. If your god's evil then you should be careful, because evil gods are sadistic bastards. And if your god's Olidammara? Be EXTRA careful, because even if Olidammara does exactly what you ask him, he'll probably humiliate you in the process for kicks. And if he does, just laugh along with him.

Pritty much what I think about miracle and wish.

There can be sadistic bastard GMs. However dont foret the greedy bastard players. :smallamused:

In 16 years of gaming Ive only used a wish and miracle spell once each. It wasnt for any thing petty nore did I use them by 'raw'.

When playing Tomb of the lizardking the whole party was wiped out exept for me and one other player in the first round. I used the last wish on a ring of wishes to life. The cost was very high. My human aged 5 years, and the party also included that damned bastard half drow grey elf bard. Id of rather lost 10 years. To top it off the pritty blond half elf cleric/mage said my thief was a good friend. :smallmad:. Damn it woman that took 5 years of my life to raise your fine ass! Should have wished for a wagon and horses for the loot insted.

The miracle spell was alot more fun.

My dwarf cleric Dorn had to purge a temple out of existance. The temple was dedicated to the triad in the forgotten Realms. Thats Tyr, Ilmater, and Torm. It was a good call.

The first head priest of Imater sold the party out to the Grandfather of Assassins. He didnt want peaple to get hurt. So the rogue in the party (also me, very small player group) Kicked his holey butt into the dirt wile in his skivies, then told him to get out of town.

The priest the church sent to replace him didnt even last a week befor he was seduced and turned into a damned vampire. So we had to kill the new priest, half the acolytes, and some villagers who went batty. Gave my poor rogue flashbacks of ravenloft.

The priest that replaced the vampire turned out to be an imposter. The Grandfather of Assassins sent one of his top assassins out to kill the new priest on his way to the temple, then take his place. My dwarf cleric was the first to find this out in a small village that used to be just north of the temple. My cleric found out some assassins in this village, turned out the new priest was there and leading them. He was an evil cleric as well. A religious debate insued. The village was burned to the ground and Dorn stompled off with burned robes and a singed beard. Most of the villagers lived.

Dorn had enough of this theroughly corrupted temple. Dorn marched to the doors of the temple of Imater and called appon Moradin to swallow this damned church and send it to the heart of his forge (as in core of the planet). Moradin abliged, it was quite a show. We figured that about 1/3 of the human population in the large vally we where in had been converted to Moradin by the end of the week.

The fourth priest to show up at the village was quite upset to find his temple gone and a big cirlce of ash in its place. Didnt have to kill him, turned out he was a good guy.

I asked of there was a drow city between the core of the planet and the town. The GM rolled % and said I gained a level.

Thats how I gained a level by sending a temple of Ilmater to the core of the planet.

edit: guess i should try and answer the OPs question :smallbiggrin:. I recomend saving it for a rainy day. You never know when you might need it to save your friends or a village full of inocent peaple.

Drevius
2010-03-20, 11:49 PM
I like alot of these ideas, especially what my character wants. Pretty simple guy, worships a nature god, hardcore druid who is basically running around naked (well with a "towel" of resistance on lol) saving plants and animals left and right searching for his mentor. So I think its gonna be bringing back his mentor or helping the temple the temple he built in the city he is in. Or saving for a rainy day against the enigmatic BBEG.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-21, 02:42 AM
I like alot of these ideas, especially what my character wants. Pretty simple guy, worships a nature god, hardcore druid who is basically running around naked (well with a "towel" of resistance on lol) saving plants and animals left and right searching for his mento.
Wow, sounds like one hoopy frood.:smallcool:

Devils_Advocate
2010-03-21, 07:13 AM
I'd consider saving it until it looks like something I need or really want done can't be accomplished any other way.

Lysander
2010-03-23, 03:58 AM
How about asking that the natural attacks of your wildshape forms forevermore count as good aligned weapons? See if you can get it as a LA+0 template instead of a permancied spell so it can't be dispelled. It's not that overpowered, could be very useful, and is the type of unselfish thing a deity would grant.