PDA

View Full Version : [3.5e] Fun with mundane equipment

Merk
2010-03-20, 03:21 PM
I'm trying to look for ways to have fun with this list (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#adventuringGear) of completely mundane equipment, either by itself or in conjunction with low-level spells or similar things. These are some ideas I've had:

1) Bells + Ghost Sound

Affix some bells to yourself and walk by some people you want to deceive later. Later on, cast Ghost Sound for them to hear. They'll associate the sound of the bells with you.

2) 16 GP Ink

Ink costs twice as much to come in other colors. Purchase red ink and create an artificial blood splatter.

3) 2x Mirrors + Pole

You can create a makeshift periscope, which I'd think would allow you to peer around corners without risking being seen as easily.

4) Sack + Rope

Collect a bunch of rocks into the sack and tie it with the rope. Then find the high ground and use falling object damage to drop it onto something nasty. Depending on the weight of the collected rocks and the tensile strength of the rope, you could also make a pulley or something similar.

Sliver
2010-03-20, 03:26 PM
3) 2x Mirrors + Pole

You can create a makeshift periscope, which I'd think would allow you to peer around corners without risking being seen as easily.

Or just buy one (dungeonscape) and still be completely mundane!

deuxhero
2010-03-20, 03:40 PM
Tanglefoot bags are "mundane" and are a "no-save fly straight or crash" to any flier that has less than perfect maneuverability.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-20, 03:49 PM
Tanglefoot bags are "mundane" and are a "no-save fly straight or crash" to any flier that has less than perfect maneuverability.

A flying creature is not stuck to the floor, but it must make a DC 15 Reflex save or be unable to fly (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#tanglefootBag)
Invalid, Citizen.

Dvandemon
2010-03-20, 03:56 PM
Bucket+Ray of Frost=Freeze your enemies in their tracks!
Mage Hand+Dagger=Attack from a distance!
Mage Hand+Cloth=Since you can lift 5 lbs. maybe you can exert 5 lbs. with the much lighter cloth and open doors from a distance for traps.
Heres one I read somewhere Unseen Servant+Cloak= Fool your enemies

Myou
2010-03-20, 04:04 PM
Bucket+Ray of Frost=Freeze your enemies in their tracks!
Mage Hand+Dagger=Attack from a distance!
Mage Hand+Cloth=Since you can lift 5 lbs. maybe you can exert 5 lbs. with the much lighter cloth and open doors from a distance for traps.
Heres one I read somewhere Unseen Servant+Cloak= Fool your enemies

Ray of Frost can't actally freeze anything, nor could that amount of water, if frozen, impede movement.

Mage Hand can't attack, only move objects steadily in a given direction, which does not quaify as an attack.

Mage Hand can only life and carry items, not pull or exert force.

Unseen Servant is shapeless so that's unlikely to work.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-20, 04:06 PM
Shape Sand. Always have the right tool for the job.

nooblade
2010-03-20, 04:17 PM
You do realize that this is mostly stuff that the DM ends up setting up situations for, and thus highly gimps the players, right?

3) 2x Mirrors + Pole

Or just buy one (dungeonscape) and still be completely mundane!

Or just go Saving Private Ryan style and fix a single mirror onto something! Get that sniper!

You can also use the iron pot as a torture device. Stick it over someone's head and bang with something until their ears bleed.

I'm also partial to giving crowbars to strong heroes, and loading them up with things like pitons to be used for jamming doors shut. That tends to only make the door stuck (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/dungeons.htm#doors), not quite barred, but still useful IMHO. Depends on the way the door was constructed though, and whether you're on the side that swings open or not.

You can dig redoubts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Redoubt) to fight from behind if you have time to prepare for a big battle and a spade, one of the perks of playing with people who're competent with classical military techniques. Or if you just want to get cover bonuses whenever possible.

Chalk is also pretty cheap and can be used on lots of surfaces, but messages aren't too incredibly useful.

You can do some fun things with sewing needles and the undead, as I learned in Planescape: Torment.

Also, the block and tackle, I sometimes confuse that with the equipment for fishing of a similar name, but I think it's actually the stuff you use with rope to make a couple pulleys (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Block_and_tackle). So you can use it to lift really heavy stuff and make some interesting traps, at the cost of using your 50 feet of rope to raise something less than 10 (or whatever) feet in the air. You probably have to Use Rope in a few places, though.

And then spare oil is always fun.

deuxhero
2010-03-20, 04:20 PM
Invalid, Citizen.

No no no.

You are looking at the wrong part.

Even on a successful save, it can move only at half speed

If a flying creature fails to maintain its minimum forward speed, it must land at the end of its movement. If it is too high above the ground to land, it falls straight down, descending 150 feet in the first round of falling. If this distance brings it to the ground, it takes falling damage

Ok, any good maneuverability also has no min speed, but everyone else just falls (it may recover from the stall, but it falls again next turn).

AslanCross
2010-03-20, 05:37 PM
No no no.

You are looking at the wrong part.

Ok, any good maneuverability also has no min speed, but everyone else just falls (it may recover from the stall, but it falls again next turn).

The minimum forward speed on average-or-worse maneuverability fliers is half their movement speed. They can still move forward and take a standard action without crashing.

...if they keep moving in a straight line. If they turn or even so much as Wingover, they're going down. I'd just land them.

Graymayre
2010-03-20, 06:00 PM
Grappling hook and rope - the destruction of any large or smaller creature doing a fly-by.

Rope + garlic + flail like swinging = protection from vampire aura

Oil pots... These can be used for so many things. I've even implemented them using kobolds against the party members to very nice effect.

Acid flasks can be a quick fire poison if diluted in something or placed in an alcohol bottle.

Chain + secured weapon + open space = dervish of death

I personally can't complete my character without mundane items. In the right hands they can be more powerful than most spells.

Bonecrusher Doc
2010-03-20, 06:01 PM
Man, chalk is part of all my characters' basic kit, along with a waterskin, sleeping roll, backpack, trail rations, flint & steel. I've used it for marking traps, and it can be used in a labyrinth or marking doors you've already been through. That and it makes a handy writing utensil for ANY time you need to write something down, just find a rock or something, you can transfer it to paper later but it's a lot more convenient than carrying around ink, a pen, and paper.

Soonerdj
2010-03-20, 06:02 PM
Everyone in this thread needs to read The Utility Belt (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0), I never leave home without it on any suitable skill monkey :P.

AslanCross
2010-03-20, 06:07 PM
Everyone in this thread needs to read The Utility Belt (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4400.0), I never leave home without it on any suitable skill monkey :P.

You win this thread.

Sinfire Titan
2010-03-20, 06:11 PM
Shape Sand. Always have the right tool for the job.

Including the Mac Guffin!

deuxhero
2010-03-20, 06:15 PM
The minimum forward speed on average-or-worse maneuverability fliers is half their movement speed. They can still move forward and take a standard action without crashing.

...if they keep moving in a straight line. If they turn or even so much as Wingover, they're going down. I'd just land them.

If they crash or land on purpose you've made them much less maneuverable for the duration of the effect, a fair enough use of an action (And a great choice if you are a melee character that can't do squat against them).

AslanCross
2010-03-20, 11:43 PM
If they crash or land on purpose you've made them much less maneuverable for the duration of the effect, a fair enough use of an action (And a great choice if you are a melee character that can't do squat against them).

True, but I'm just saying it's not a cut-and-dry fatal crash in the same way that, say, colliding with a wall of force will do.

krossbow
2010-03-21, 01:53 AM
If used properly, you can overcome any obstacle you come across with an 11 foot pole, including, but not limited to, the tarrasque, Vecna, and the complete destruction of the material plane.

Dvandemon
2010-03-21, 02:12 AM
Ray of Frost can't actally freeze anything, nor could that amount of water, if frozen, impede movement.

Mage Hand can't attack, only move objects steadily in a given direction, which does not quaify as an attack.

Mage Hand can only life and carry items, not pull or exert force.

Unseen Servant is shapeless so that's unlikely to work.

Sorry to burst your bubble.

YDMMV (your DM may vary) *shrug*

Critical
2010-03-21, 07:00 AM
Sack of acid, with alchemical fire in the middle for the bonus points. I will be using this to kill an annoying CR 12 DMPC in our 5 level party, but afraid that DM won't allow this. :smallbiggrin: