PDA

View Full Version : Vampiric Tempest [3.5 Weapon] [PEACH, I suppose]

Temotei
2010-03-20, 05:49 PM
Vampiric Tempest

This +4 defending bastard sword grants a +2 bonus to Reflex saves and a +10 bonus to Jump checks.

On a successful attack, the sword releases a thin, powerful wind blast, pushing the target back 5 feet and granting 1d4 temporary hit points to the wielder that last for up to 1 hour. These temporary hit points stack with themselves up to a limit of 75 temporary hit points, but not any other source of temporary hit points. In addition, whenever the wind blast comes into effect, the wielder may take a 5-foot step. A successful Strength check of DC 26 negates the wind blast's effects. The wielder of the blade may suppress the wind effect at will as a free action.

On a critical hit, the wind blast affects a 30-foot cone in front of the wielder of the bastard sword, and all targets in range must make a Reflex save of DC 20 or take damage as if they had been hit by the original attack (including the critical hit modifier).

Strong evocation and necromancy; CL 20th; Weight 6 lb.

herbe
2010-03-21, 06:10 AM
i like it. If wielder of Vampiric Tempest hit a creature then it moe beck 5 feet the wielder get an attack of opportunity. Am i right?

Is it unique item or it can purchase on the market and how many gold pieces need?

Temotei
2010-03-21, 06:17 AM
i like it. If wielder of Vampiric Tempest hit a creature then it moe beck 5 feet the wielder get an attack of opportunity. Am i right?

Is it unique item or it can purchase on the market and how many gold pieces need?

Yes. The wind blast feature allows the wielder to blast an enemy back with an attack (#1), get an attack of opportunity (#2), take a 5-foot step and continue a full attack (#3), attack of opportunity (#4), take a 5-foot step and continue (#5), attack of opportunity (#6), continue (#7).

It's a unique item. I hadn't come up with a price yet. I'm thinking I'll just call it an artifact and change the thread title.

I wasn't sure about the caster level, either. It might need to be more. :smallamused:

herbe
2010-03-21, 06:35 AM
if its an artifact is has at least 20th caster level but check out more here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Artifacts).
it would be a minor one.

Temotei
2010-03-21, 06:43 AM
if its an artifact is has at least 20th caster level but check out more here (http://www.dandwiki.com/wiki/SRD:Artifacts).
it would be a minor one.

Not all artifacts are 20th caster level items, but I agree that it's probably worth that.

*Raising from 18th caster level.

DracoDei
2010-03-21, 12:21 PM
The 20 foot cone effects even the original target?

Allowing a strength check to resist being moved back 5 feet would make sense, but it would probably be too much dice rolling. Perhaps put a limit of "large or smaller"?

Temotei
2010-03-21, 12:30 PM
The 20 foot cone effects even the original target?

Allowing a strength check to resist being moved back 5 feet would make sense, but it would probably be too much dice rolling. Perhaps put a limit of "large or smaller"?

In my dream, the wind blast was so powerful, giants (of Gargantuan size) nearly fell over from being hit by it. They usually stumbled a bit back then continued on their way.

Yes, the cone affects the original target.

A Strength check would make sense, balance-wise. Hmm...:smallsigh:

It's hard to find a compromise between balance and dream-balance. :smallamused: Then again, it's an artifact. Balance isn't a huge goal as long as it's cool and doesn't completely break the game.

I edited in a Strength check to resist the wind. It's pretty high, so even the strongest enemies will have to roll close to 10 or higher to resist it.

DracoDei
2010-03-21, 12:39 PM
Auto-fail in most cases keeps things nice and simple, so that works.

Temotei
2010-03-21, 12:40 PM
Auto-fail in most cases keeps things nice and simple, so that works.

Would that be better? :smallamused: I think it would be easier to use that way. I'll change it back! :smalltongue:

I did lower the temporary hit points gained slightly (1d4 instead of 1d6), since you can get so many attacks when you use this thing.

DracoDei
2010-03-21, 12:46 PM
Would that be better? :smallamused:

I don't think ability checks auto-succeed on natural 20's, so I was saying that was what you already had, and it saved time. Unless the creature has at least a 22 strength they don't even need to bother rolling.

Temotei
2010-03-21, 12:47 PM
I don't think ability checks auto-succeed on natural 20's, so I was saying that was what you already had, and it saved time. Unless the creature has at least a 22 strength they don't even need to bother rolling.

Done and done.