PDA

View Full Version : Large Size Questions

Soonerdj
2010-03-20, 07:04 PM
Well the questions are about being large sized, not large sized questions though. :P So in our upcoming game we have a character toying around with some level adjustment classes in order to get a larger size. He wants to use it to be a Trip/Spike Chain AoO god and I'm obliged to help him.

Anyways these are my questions;

1. What is the benefit of a template or race that increases your size from Medium to Large? I've heard +12 Str but that is kinda ridiculous. It makes the LA+1 Half Minotaur far superior to it's LA+2 Full Minotaur.

2. Are there any +1 templates or Races that grant Large size?

3. Any (non cheesy) ways to prevent someone from taking damage and activating frenzy? (deals with the same character)

Thanks playground.

Eldariel
2010-03-20, 07:13 PM
1. What is the benefit of a template or race that increases your size from Medium to Large? I've heard +12 Str but that is kinda ridiculous. It makes the LA+1 Half Minotaur far superior to it's LA+2 Full Minotaur.

By RAW you get everything listed here (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/improvingMonsters.htm#sizeIncreases). I propose you simply ignore the stat increase-part as that's obviously an oversight on the part of the developers; nobody can honestly claim they think 1 LA is bad enough to justify +12 Str, +8 Con and so on.

Goliath and Half-Giant are close; they've got Powerful Build and Goliath's Mountain Rage Racial Sub Level for Barbarian actually gets you the real Large size. But they lack the inherent reach which is oh-so-important, so yeah.

Otherwise, the Dragon Magazine Half-Ogre and Half-Minotaur are both +1 LA Templates that make you Large if Medium. Races of Destiny Half-Ogre is a race instead and LA +2; that's kinda weak.

Other than that, do remember that Enlarge Person becomes quite available as levels progress and works just fine for any LA +0 race. Also, Psionic power Expansion, while personal, is a great option especially for a Half-Giant (going Psy War).

3. Any (non cheesy) ways to prevent someone from taking damage and activating frenzy? (deals with the same character)

Well, blocking the damage if coming from an attack (Wall of Blades & al.), Contingent Energy Resistance-spell against energy damage, just not being in the harm's way. The Will-save is much easier to optimize though; just get +18 Will-save and Pride-domain (either through 1-level Cleric dip or Planar Touchstone: Catalogues of Enlightenment [PlH]) and you should pretty much never fail the DC 20.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-20, 07:14 PM
Well the questions are about being large sized, not large sized questions though. :P So in our upcoming game we have a character toying around with some level adjustment classes in order to get a larger size. He wants to use it to be a Trip/Spike Chain AoO god and I'm obliged to help him.

Anyways these are my questions;

No joke. 1/2 Minotaur template is better than the race. Hybrid Vitality is the genetic reason, but rule of cool must be the D&D one.

It explicitly says add Str as if changing size by Monster manual rules.

1/2 Ogre Template (not the race).

Thanks playground.

Frenzy Berserker you mean?