PDA

View Full Version : To Graft, or Not to Graft? Oi, What a Question.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-20, 08:13 PM
Alright, I'm about to get involved with a new group (haven't started yet), and the party (or so I hear) is about to get involved in Underdark shenanigans with illithids. My character (a LE synad shaper/constructor 11) is one of the illithids' captives-slash-test-subjects.

I was wanting this guy to be a goblin they captured years ago, and have been adding grafts and messing with his body and mind, slowly turning him more monstrous as time has progressed.

Grafts would be great for this, except...

...grafts generally suck.

They're far too expensive, and unless I craft them myself (and I'm already 2 levels behind the rest of the party), I can't really afford anything even halfway decent. I could abuse the hell out of the crafting rules (infinite crafting XP at no loss and crafting at like 2% of base price cost), but it's not a horrifically optimized party, and I don't want to tick off the DM.

I have like 3 feats free (at 5, 6, and 9th level), but I may or may not find something to use for those (I'm taking Psicrystal Affinity, Boost Construct, and Linked Power thus far).

All 3.5 books are open for use (but not web enhancements), and 3.0 stuff that hasn't been updated.

Any suggestions on how I can make this one a horrifically monstrous creature with the ability to survive against mind-stunning brain-eaters and the other horrors of the Underdark, using 3 feats and level 11 wealth?

Oh, and it'd be nice if the items were more or less non-removable, since I'm not sure how fond this DM is of stripping his players of their misbegotten goods and stranding and/or imprisoning them (and let's assume no more than 50% of WBL goes toward any one item, for the moment).

Yes, yes, I'm paranoid; I've had bad experiences with new groups, so get over it.

Vulaas
2010-03-21, 12:54 AM
Why not try some of the heritage feats from Complete Psionic or Lords of Madness, it'll give you that unique feel without any of the money investment, and they're hardly removable.

awa
2010-03-21, 01:10 AM
if allowed the feral template could make for one warped goblin

The Glyphstone
2010-03-21, 02:30 AM
Grafts are excellent. The problem is that the non-sucky ones tend to also be the very expensive ones. Silthilar grafts, for example, grant untyped bonuses to physical stats. Fiendish grafts are some of the cheapest permanent extra attacks/reach increasers available, and they're also ridiculously cheao if you're Evil already.

Of course, as you mentioned, they're expensive for the good stuff. That's why I love the Fleshwarper PrC so much, for its Graft Reserve - paired with dedicated feats for crafting, you can make some seriously weird stuff.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-21, 08:05 PM
Is it my imagination, or is the beholder Replacement Eye considerably less desirable than the beholder Eye Stalk? They both do the same thing (3/day, a single eye ray of a beholder), but the Replacement Eye is 1/3 the range, and replaces an eye, rather than simply giving you a new one. And they even cost the same.

The hell?

[edit] Also, the Third Eye is better, giving you an antimagic cone 3/day, which doesn't affect you, but it costs 35k less than the Replacement Eye and Eye Stalks?

druid91
2010-03-21, 08:12 PM
Its easier to get into the kings throne room if you don't have a weird Eye-tentacle sticking out of your head.

Maerok
2010-03-21, 08:16 PM
Its easier to get into the kings throne room if you don't have a weird Eye-tentacle sticking out of your head.

Depends on the king... :smalleek:

druid91
2010-03-21, 08:22 PM
Ah right let me fix that, Its easier to get in the non-[Insane,Beholder,Abberation fond,Illithid] kings throne room without a weird Eye tentacle.

Maerok
2010-03-21, 08:28 PM
Well that's better.

Overall, I think grafts are too expensive (at least the ones I've seen) for the levels I like to play at. However they do make good prizes for a GM to toss around for a session or two as part of a story arc or just general weirdness. It also helps to make some more distinguished NPCs/enemies.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-21, 08:40 PM
Is it my imagination, or is the beholder Replacement Eye considerably less desirable than the beholder Eye Stalk? They both do the same thing (3/day, a single eye ray of a beholder), but the Replacement Eye is 1/3 the range, and replaces an eye, rather than simply giving you a new one. And they even cost the same.

Gazing eye is a gaze attack at will, but Eye Stalk is a ray attack 3/day.
There are spells that protect from rays but not gazes.
But yeah replacement does suck.

You have 66K gold?
Fiend Folio has better ones.
Mucus Shealth: 5K, +10 swim speed/ +10 eacape artist (but -4 Will saves vs mind affecting).
Skum Tail: 5K, 40 ft swim speed, +8 racial swim, take 10.
or
Yuanti-Tail: 6K, same as Skum, but speed 1/2 land speed. But gains constrict with tail.

Add a Ghost arm (Libris Mortis): 6K, incorporeal touch 1d6 damage, don't add Str. It is a secondary natural attack. Who doesn't want an extra disembodied arm? It doesn't say it replaces your arm so you can have it as extra.

Races of Dragon: (some Dragon grafts have drawbacks)
Dragon Presence (Flesh): 12, immune to paralysis/Fightful Presence. 4 Total hp lost.

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-21, 08:47 PM
Gazing eye is a gaze attack at will, but Eye Stalk is a ray attack 3/day.
There are spells that protect from rays but not gazes.
But yeah replacement does suck.That's the Gazing Eye, not the Eye Stalk. The Eye Stalk and Replacement Eye are exactly the same, except one is worse than the other.

You have 66K gold?
Fiend Folio has better ones.
Mucus Shealth: 5K, +10 swim speed/ +10 eacape artist (but -4 Will saves vs mind affecting).
Skum Tail: 5K, 40 ft swim speed, +8 racial swim, take 10.
or
Yuanti-Tail: 6K, same as Skum, but speed 1/2 land speed. But gains constrict with tail.

Add a Ghost arm (Libris Mortis): 6K, incorporeal touch 1d6 damage, don't add Str. It is a secondary natural attack. Who doesn't want an extra disembodied arm? It doesn't say it replaces your arm so you can have it as extra.Which of these works well for a manifester?

(Hint: none, really.)

I'm starting to think that maybe grafts aren't the way to go with this character...

(Also, Disguise checks and transmutations/illusions will make the Eye Stalk considerably less noticeable, meaning the extra range comes at virtually no penalty...)

I think I'll just take synad, fluff it up a bit, and use a few powers to simulate physical alterations. Much easier, in the end.

The Glyphstone
2010-03-21, 09:44 PM
For a manifester, I'd say the only ones that are really beneficial would be some of the high-end Silthilar grafts - Reinforced Bones for +2 untyped Con bonus, or Healing Blood for Fast Healing 2. They're both in the 100+k range though, and not useful for manifesters so much as useful for anyone, so it's probably not worth the investment.

Starbuck_II
2010-03-22, 09:01 AM
I say Swim speed is good for everyone (you never know when you'll need to swim).

Lycanthromancer
2010-03-22, 09:27 AM
A few interesting ones come to my attention (such as eye grafts for +2 to Spot and Search, the leg graft that grants +2 Con and feathered wings for flying).

He won't be very 'monstrous,' but at least he'll keep those items regardless.