PDA

View Full Version : Who Wants To Live Forever?

Fishy
2010-03-20, 09:55 PM
Everywhere:

You are god. You are the sole and unquestioned ruler of this formless and timeless universe- everything that is, everything that was, and everything that will ever be is part of your perfect being. The sensation lasts for perhaps a moment, perhaps an aeon...

Nowhere:

... And then, in the distance, something calls. It is a faint glimmer of light that makes you suddenly aware of the black nothingness that you inhabit and have become. It is a jarring reminder that there is a whole world filled with things that aren't you. It is of you and no longer in you, and it calls you back. It is your soul.

You move, and darkness follows...

Elsewhere:

In the wine cellar underneath stately and derelict Trotholdt Manor, six darkwood barrels hold six corpses. Five are initiates who willingly climbed into the water and emptied their veins, and one skipped that step courtesy of a grey-cloaked mugger with a knife earlier that evening, but all of them have been decomposing for twenty-four hours. The stench hangs heavy in the air, but fortunately neither of the robed figures holding vigil have a sense of smell.

Two Seekers and a zombie are present at the ceremony: Agratensia, a half-elven woman with long white hair and cataracts over both eyes, Thurin, a kindly wizard who has lost enough of the flesh around his face to have a permanent and distorted smile, and the ever dapper Arstor, who the Seekers have been diplomatically treating as a friend of the family. They watch over the initiates, their worldly possessions that are not waterproof, and an altar draped in cloth and scattered with treasures- two rings, two amulets, a mirror, a small metal cube, and twelve black candles that have never been lit. They have been waiting in darkness and silence for a full day and night, but will not have to wait much longer.

"Rise, Seekers. Be children no more. Embrace your divinity. Embrace your destiny."

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-20, 10:28 PM
One of the corpses grips the sides of his barrels and levers himself to a sitting position.

Greetings, Agratensia, Thurin; consider them embraced. I'm glad to see our ritual worked to specifications.

Stepping carefully out of the barrel, Basil shakes the liquid off of himself and retrieves his possessions. He then pulls out a notebook and quill and begins moving his arms and legs through various contortions, testing his flexibility.

Fascinating. These undead sinews and flesh are more remarkable than I had thought.

He continues moving around and muttering to himself, taking notes all the while, until he seems satisfied. Finally, he unsheathes a dagger and slices his arm; muttering something about the lack of bleeding or pain, he sheathes his dagger and touches his arm, where the slash is healed by a cloud of murky black energy.

That shall definitely come in handy.

Basil bows to Agratensia and Thurin, then moves back to the barrels to help the other Seekers out.

AmberVael
2010-03-20, 10:28 PM
Seeker

"Today marks my greatest achievement."
The woman said, smiling as she looked down into her mirror. She cannot be seen or felt, hidden behind a distant veil. Her voice alone pierces through, though even that is distorted strangely.

Murky waters fold and waver as Seeker strains outwards, one hand reaching out to break the surface of that which encloses her. She didn't know what it was, only that she longed to be out, longed to be free.

"Perhaps some will decry it, and think it foolish. Perhaps others will call me a monster for what I've done."
She smiled at the mirror.
"But what do they know?"

Seeker's hands burst from the preservative fluids and clutch the edges of the barrel as she drags herself out, her eyes glowing brilliantly and trailing violet smoke as if they were ablaze. Still, even as she clambers from the barrel, she does not clearly see, has not fully removed herself from the water that envelops her.

"They will see, once it is finished, once it is used."
Pausing dramatically, the woman set down the mirror, looking down into it as she spoke her final phrase.
"My name will be remembered forever."

That same mirror is snatched up, Seeker's hands scrabbling over its surface as she looks into it- wanting to see- wanting to know- but the woman has turned away, and all that she sees in its depths are her own face, and reflection of the room around her.

The visions gone now, Seeker becomes aware of herself and surroundings, lowering her dripping hands and the mirror within them. Realizing her sudden actions must have seemed a bit strange, she tries to rectify it, becoming more respectful and falling into more ritual patterns.

"You have my gratitude, for guiding my steps along this path."
She says, bowing her head in respect to the three.

Tacitus
2010-03-20, 10:48 PM
Adun Ulhar
Male NE Lesser Assimar Eternal Seeker Incarnate, Level 6,
Init +2
HP 43+18/49+18, Speed 30 ft
AC 23 Touch 12, Flat-footed 21, Fort +4, Ref +4+3, Will +9, Base Attack Bonus 3, Essentia Pool 8
Abilities Str 12, Dex 14, Con --, Int 12, Wis 18, Cha 16
Condition Undead
Resistances Energy 10 (Cold, Electricity), Energy 5 (Acid), Turn Resist E
Immunities Undead Immunities

Soulmeld Effects Essentia: 8
Capacity: 3, +1 Capacity Feat
[3] Impulse Boots: Uncanny Dodge. +E enhancement on Reflex Saves
[0] Lightning Gauntlets: 1d6+Ed6 Electricity damage as a Touch
: Apply to Melee Attack
[3] Vitality Belt: (+4 on Con checks and Concentration), +6Ehp
[2] Necrocarnum Circlet: Unerringly detect Undead within 30ft as Blindsense. +E Turn Resist to Undead within 30ft. +2E if created by Adun
[Bound]: Create Arstor, the Sophisticated Zombie. +E to Arstor's Essentia Pool

Creating Arstor has permanently damaged Adun by 6. Cannot be healed until the zombie is slain or the Circlet is unshaped.

[B]Class Features
Incarnum Radiance: +4 Untyped to melee damage for 3+Con(Wis?) rounds. [1/1]
Detect Good At-Will

His soul calls to him and he answers with a smirk and nothing more. Swimming in the endless sea of gray and black he reaches out and grasps the firmament and pulls forth screaming faces imprinted upon nothing at all. With a laugh he rips through all of creation until he crashes back into his body with a terrible shake. The body flails in its cask and arcs of black lightning ripple across the darkwood before sinking back into the fell warrior. When he rises a midnight blue light glows in his eyes and a terrible black crown of smoke and writhing faces rings his head. His fingers and caged in bands of steel tht still send off sparks of their dark lightning.

At first i is but a gurgle and a wheeze as he forces air and water in an out of now vestigal lungs. When finally his voice echoes from within him it isclear that his tremors re not some sort of experimental error but the result of maniacal laughter forcing past organic limitations. As he rises from the water his laugh fades quickly. His eyes fall upon his father and he nearly gushes as he moves towards the zombie, "Father, I have proven you wrong yet again. Do you see how I live but yet do not breathe? We will be successful yet!"

Arstor replies, "Mrrrrrrr."

Adun chuckles, "Yes, yes, I know. I am sometimes too big for my britches. At least I have you to keep me grounded, father."

And again, "Mrrrrrrr-rrrrrr."

MountainKing
2010-03-21, 03:41 AM
Ganymede

A once fair looking young man's head bursts out of the water, a reflexive gasp sharply taken in horror and surprise. Thin, pale white fingers grasped and snatched at the rim of the barrel, and with a horrified expression on his now gaunt features, Ganymede broke back into the land of the "living". Shuddering, the bard clutched at himself, peering around the cellar with terror echoing in his flat, dim eyes.

"A knife... a knife in the dark," he muttered, seemingly re-living his final memories, "I feel so cold... so..." trailing off, flat, pale eyes slowly came into focus, coming to rest on the wizard.

"Th-thurin? Isssss... Is that really you?" Ganymede scrambled to clamber out of his barrel, skin glistening wetly in the darkness of the cellar, "Where am I? What has happened?" Ganymede glanced around the room, seeming to be rapidly getting himself back together.

"...where is my lute, Thurin? It wasn't stolen, was it? What about my books? My charts?"

Ryuuk
2010-03-21, 10:01 AM
Amir

Returning to the realm of the living, Amir jolts forward and begins to pant. There's a moment of terror when instead of air he begins to draw water, and he tries to cough to clear his airway. Those outside of the barrel just see the water splashing out of its rim. It's frantic at first, but then slows, until its calm again.

Inside the barrel, everything is still. Realization starts to dawn. It had... worked. The water didn't feel natural, but it didn't hurt, he didn't need air anymore. Likewise, even the brief instant of terror wasn't really fear, it had simply been a reaction, one that was more conscious than anything else. Fear was only a memory now. He brings his hands to his face, he could barely see them through the murky water. But it had worked. He could bring his hands to his face, he could see them even with an eye closed. He was whole.

He moves his hands (Hands!) to the barrels rim and pulls himself up. He was a bit stiff, but it was nothing that he couldn't get used to. He sees the other figures in the gloom and for a brief instance, what reflexes remained tightened. But he tried to relax, he was one of them now.

"Destiny..." He murmurs. He stands in the barrel for a while, water dripping from his torso, before jumping out entirely. He takes a moment to feel the turning of his joints, it was different, somewhat. "Thurin, my equipment, my sword... I need to test them, I haven't held them properly in months."

esorscher
2010-03-21, 11:07 AM
Mercury

He gasps as he awakens, his eyelids shooting open. The water is murky, cloudy with something... unfamiliar, yet comforting. Like being in the womb, Mercury imagines.

He flexes his knees, shooting up and out of the barrel like a breaching orca. The water drips off his sinewy, gaunt flesh as he emerges. He looks around at the room, his eyes alighting on Agratensia, a familiar face. He smiles at her, flexing his hands, testing them. They hold all their usual tension. Taking his first breath in this new world of immortality, he looks at the others in his same position, looks at them coming to grips with this change. For him, he had always dreamed of this day, of achieving eternal life, though never in this way. So concerned with the material, insufficient with their own two hands, he almost laughed at them.

He turns to Agratensia, "To think... these are the first steps along my new path." He can not help but feel a wave of emotion at the prospect of immortal life.

Fishy
2010-03-21, 12:16 PM
Thurin turns his somewhat grisly smile on Basil, the first to emerge into his new unlife. "Yes, and your modifications worked splendidly," he beams. "I've never seen a phylactery created so quickly… and it appears to have worked perfectly. Excuse me." He leaves Basil to his notes and experiments, and moves to be by his pupil's side as he reanimates. "Ganymede, my dear boy- I'm here for you, yes. Your lute is here, your papers are safe, and most importantly you are alive." A beat. "Sort of."

As Basil and Amir have already noticed, your new existence is quite unlike your old one. Before, you had a body. Tonight, you own one. It moves because of your will, it holds its form and shape because of your power. The difference is… disorienting.

"Be careful with those first steps," Agratensia warns in her raspy but nevertheless soothing voice. "It takes time to adjust a new body. It's not uncommon to experience dizziness, euphoria, false sensations…"

Ganymede, Seeker and Freddy only:Agrantesia's warning is punctuated by what sounds like a heavy thump from upstairs, muffled by the stony foundations of the manor.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-21, 12:39 PM
Which reminds me, gentlebeings, Basil calls out as he puts away his notebook, if you have any issues with your new body or run into any problems down the line, please let me know so I can note that down for our hosts here--he motions to Agratensia and Thurin--and possibly later repair.

Now, is there anything on our agenda for the foreseeable future?

esorscher
2010-03-21, 12:48 PM
Mercury

"False sensations? Could you be more specific? If we can't trust our senses, what can we trust? For example, I just heard a thump from upstairs--did you?"

AmberVael
2010-03-21, 01:14 PM
Seeker

Hallucinations and strange feelings? What ever would she do? Seeker conceals her cynical amusement at the warnings, finding them to be completely misplaced towards her.

The sensations do take a bit of adjustment, but Seeker is acclimating with great rapidity, far more used to utilizing will power as a form of control than most. Her powers already relied on it, she fought with it to keep her sane every day... moving her own body with it was a simple task, if one she wasn't yet used to.

"I heard it as well. And I think, if your senses betray you, it will be a little more obvious..."

As she knows from personal experience.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-21, 02:17 PM
A noise from upstairs? No I don't believe I did....hmm.

Basil whips out his notebook and jots something down, muttering something about "reduced aural acuity" before stowing it again.

Thurin, I don't suppose we're expecting someone--or something--upstairs, are we?

MountainKing
2010-03-21, 03:21 PM
Ganymede

In a gesture normally reserved for the living, Ganymede pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his eyes.

"Dizzyness. Right. Of course," he muttered, putting a hand on his mentor's shoulder and leaning subtly while he tried hard to acclimate himself better to his new... well, him.

"You know Thurin, you have ever been there to catch me when I fall, and for that, and this, I am," Ganymede's eyes snapped open and he grinned, looking at Thurin and smirking his way through his dizziness, "I am... eternally, grateful? Hmmm?" A Ganymede chuckled, his thin chest suddenly heaving harshly as his lungs decided now was the time to finish voiding themselves of the reanimatory fluids.

"Hmmph, it never fails when I make a bad joke," the bard muttered, shaking his head as he was warned of false sensations. Even as he heard the thump, he was trying to focus himself, to force himself back into his senses... and then someone piped up, stating that they'd heard a thump.

"...You've heard a thump? I've heard a thump. This can't be coincidence; think about just how *many* things two people could perceive, false or otherwise, and it's obvious that there's no way that was false. That thump, not false," the bard had drifted off into a mutter by the end of his statement, and he was looking expectantly at Thurin and the elf.

Tacitus
2010-03-22, 02:40 AM
Adun

Adun hears no such thump, his attention focused solely on his father. He stumbles and trembles as he moves towards the zombie with all the grace of a bulldozer. With top hat and monocle firmly in place the zombie sweeps forward and catches his son with hardly a show of effort at all. Before the change the lad had been built to survive the harsh life of the desert with tan flesh and a stout frame. Now the boy was skin and bones, and barely even that. He had gotten so much lighter, even now when he was still dripping water and other various fluids.

He chuckles as he hangs from his father's meaty and decaying limbs, "You are always there to catch me when I fall, father. You'll make sure I stay safe, even when this body falls back to death, won't you?"

"Mrrrrrrr"

Adun nods as he steadies himself and glances towards the altar and then towards their benefactors, "Are they to stay in your care, then?"

Ryuuk
2010-03-22, 07:40 AM
Amir

For now, Amir just goes to gather his things. His bow he pulls back, taking great care to the new sensations, he could hardly feel the string pull him back. Yes, it would take some getting used to. He eyes his crest on the table, apparently, this would now be his only vital.

When he spots the sword, he looks on somewhat intimidated. This would be the real test. He doesn't hold it though, at least not yet.

Fishy
2010-03-22, 10:33 AM
"We're not expecting any visitors, but I'm sure there's no reason to worry. Agratensia has her birds about: we'd have heard by now if there were some mysterious thumping monster in these woods."

"All the same… I had better go and check upstairs." Agrantesia heads for the staircase up to the trapdoor under the kitchen, and from there the rest of the manor. She pauses, turning to kneel beside a small wooden box- one of her few but prized possessions- and very gently pulls out the cold and motionless body of a small sparrow, cradling it in both hands.

"And you're certainly welcome to leave your phylacteries with us," Thurin continues, grinning toothily and liplessly at Adun. "I'd personally consider it quite an honor, actually. But… what's the line, dear?"

"'It is your life, and you must decide what to do with it'." Agrantesia chimes in. That done, she holds the bird close to her lips, whispers something under her breath, and the creature begins to stir, limbering up stiffened muscles and getting ready to fly.

Ganymede, Seeker and Freddy:Another thump, that ends with the sound of wood splintering and cracking under violent force.

esorscher
2010-03-22, 10:40 AM
Mercury

Despite their assurances, Freddy tightens his fists. "Are you sure? It sounds like someone just broke down a door." He looks to his left and right for confirmation. He goes to the table and picks up his phylactery, stowing it in his pocket. "Just for the time being--you don't survive this world without a healthy dose of paranoia."

Fishy
2010-03-22, 10:48 AM
[Oh, hey.]

Basil:You think you might have heard something that time, and while you're not an expert in the field of door-destruction, that could very well have been it.

MountainKing
2010-03-22, 12:04 PM
Ganymede

"Thurin old friend, the honor would be mine if you could hang on to my, err... phylactery you say? Meaning... oh my." Ganymede glanced up at the ceiling, "I have to agree with... ah, the other gentleman- we really ought introduce ourselves soon, as I've no idea who any of you lot are, save Thurin, that that was very probably the sound of a door getting smashed in." Ganymede gave Thurin a meaningful look.

"We'll go over the finer details of my newfound existence later, old friend; something tells me that at the moment, we have things to attend to, and I'd rather not face the new day naked as the day I was born... the first time."

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-22, 03:25 PM
Basil motions to Mercury and notes, I see you were correct about the noise upstairs. That does sound like the breaking of something wooden, most likely a door, which implies that we are in possible danger.

He turns and indicates Thurin and Agratensia. While I have complete faith in our honored colleagues here, I believe it would be the wisest course of action to retain our phylacteries until this matter is dealt with, as this location might be in danger of becoming unsafe for them.

Also, I believe this gentlebeing--Basil points to Ganymede--is correct in his assertion that we should at least learn one another's names, the better to co-ordinate ourselves whilst we address the matter of the breaking-in. I am Basil d'Cannith; who might you all be?

esorscher
2010-03-22, 03:27 PM
Mercury

"Freddy Mercury. d'Cannith? As in the noble line?" He said, checking to make sure he wasn't missing anything.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-22, 03:30 PM
It is a pleasure to make your acquaintance. Regarding my surname.... Basil gestures modestly. Not precisely "noble" per se, but yes, my father and brother are marked heirs of the House.

MountainKing
2010-03-22, 03:50 PM
Ganymede

Having (hopefully) located his worldly possessions, Ganymede went about dressing himself, taking care to snap his fingers, invoking a spell to clean himself off as best he could. He couldn't feel the wetness on his skin, but... he had a feeling that whatever was in those barrels, it was NOT good for clothing... or for...

"Ahhh, yes..." he murmured, wrapping his still somewhat unsteady fingers around the neck of his lute. Slinging the fine leather strap about himself, he turned to the others.

"Ganymede; a traveling musician and student of astrology," he legged a bow, a very slow, careful one at that, before standing upright, "I'm also somewhat more a lover than a fighter, but I've always been good with people, so long as they can appreciate the stars, to any extent." The bard grinned and stepped forward.

"A pleasure to meet you fine gentlemen, and ladies."

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-22, 06:03 PM
Basil grins at Ganymede. Though I am not exactly a student of astrology or astronomy, I made a cursory study of the moons and manifest zones and such during my schooling; I can certainly appreciate your area of expertise.

Tacitus
2010-03-22, 08:46 PM
*tries to post for a 4th time* Gorram computer keeps locking up...

Adun

He doesn't hear the thumping nor does he directly register that the others are giving introductions. He is instead far too busy comparing his dead body to the body of his father. He remarks the sophisticated zombie is looking particularly healthy but his pulse, composed of surges of dark light through dried veins, seems a little weak. After this diagnosis a 'Mrrrrr' from his father brings him half way back to reality.

Adun nods, "Aye, right as always father. Best to not be rude, I suppose." He smiles and turns to the others with a flourish and a splatter of unsavory fluids, unshamed of his current less than clothed state, "And we, my new friends, are Adun and Arstor Ulhar, father and son. Before leaving the Blade Desert he was a merchant of some renown on his way to a true noble status! He has since vowed to venture into new and unknown lands for new opportunities and I shall follow him to the ends of this world as a faithful child!"

He pauses and rubs his chin, "I am in dire need of pants..." With this he goes about collecting his belongings, retrieving the small cube to later give to his father when no one is watching.

Fishy
2010-03-22, 08:50 PM
If her initiates are all getting dressed and making introductions, Agrantesia heads upstairs, accompanied by her zombie sparrow.

Ryuuk
2010-03-22, 10:03 PM
Amir

While the others talk, Amir dresses himself and listens absentmindedly. Wanderers and scholars, mostly. He didn't quite believe it, had things really changed that much? Then again, it'd been years now, Khorvaire had watched it happen and kept going. It felt... wrong.

He found his equipment as he'd left it. It had taken him a while to realize he needed it. Another thing to get used to, it seems. He dresses himself in an old, well traveled outfit. He didn't worry about the liquid he'd been laying in, surely, he'd been in worse. Then came his boots, his greaves, his gauntlets and his chain shirt. They felt lighter, or at least, he felt them less. He hid his dagger, put away his bow and left his quiver within reach. His amulet, after a moment's thought, he put around his neck.

"My name is Amir d'Zema. I'm... a soldier. I've been one all my life." After some consideration, he turns to Basil. "I'm rather curious, where does you're branch of the d'Cannith line have its roots?"

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-22, 10:45 PM
My particular offshoot of the family tree has lived mainly in Sharn for the past five generations; beyond that, I couldn't tell you. Basil's polite grin becomes a bit tight. I haven't exactly...well, suffice to say that my decision to pursue the necromantic arts rather than the artificer's trade has made me less than popular in my family, and thus disinclined me to study such things as our history and genealogy.

Basil clears his throat (or makes a sound that, from a living being, would signify throat-clearing) and gestures at Seeker. Now, unless our comrade here wishes to introduce herself, I suggest we move off the topic of my beloved family and join Agratensia upstairs.

Fishy
2010-03-22, 11:56 PM
From upstairs, a pulse of necromantic energy that sets your skin crawling. A startled gasp, a flutter of wings, and a rumbling bass voice that is obviously used to barking orders and being obeyed.

"By the order of King Kaius, the practice of Necromancy without the sanction of the Throne is treason, and the products of Necromancy are to be seized or destroyed."

After the proclamation, his voice softens somewhat: sympathetic but still authoritative. "I know about your friends. If you all cooperate, I can protect you and yours, but I can only offer you one chance to surrender. Where are they?"

A whispered reply, too soft to hear.

"Good girl. Now, sit."

For those of you so inclined, now might be a good time to roll Spellcraft, Knowledges, and/or Initiative.

esorscher
2010-03-22, 11:56 PM
Mercury

"I'm not waiting for them to find us. Fighting in a basement offers a lot of difficulties. Number one being, you're fighting in a basement." He rushes to his mentor's aid.

esorscher
2010-03-22, 11:59 PM
Whoops.

Initiative: [roll0]
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll1]
Spellcraft: [roll2]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-23, 12:17 AM
Basil steps towards Mercury and throws out a hand. Wait! he hisses. We do not know their strength; rushing out to meet them would be a terrible tactical error! Wait at the doorway and surprise the enemy when it opens the door!

Unsure of whether Mercury will stop, he prepares himself for battle, raising his hands in a spellcasting pose.

Spellcraft: [roll1]
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll2]

Basil readies an action to cast a spell when he sees an enemy--ray of enfeeblement if it's a living enemy, summon undead I otherwise.

Tacitus
2010-03-23, 02:04 AM
Adun Ulhar
Init +2
AC 23 Touch 12, Flat-footed 21, Fort +4, Ref +4+0, Will +9, Base Attack Bonus 3, Essentia Pool 8
Condition Undead
Resistances Energy 10 (Cold, Electricity), Energy 5 (Acid), Turn Resist +1

[0] Impulse Boots: Uncanny Dodge. +E enhancement on Reflex Saves
[4] Lightning Gauntlets: 1d6+Ed6 Electricity damage as a Touch
[3] Vitality Belt: (An irrelevant Con based bonus) and +6Ehp
[1] Necrocarnum Circlet: Unerringly detect Undead within 30ft as Blindsense. +E Turn Resist to Undead within 30ft. +2E if created by Adun

Creating Arstor has permanently damaged Adun by 6. Cannot be healed until the zombie is slain or the Circlet is unshaped.

[B]Class Features
Detect Good At-Will

Arstor Ulhar
Sophisticated Zombie, HD 6,
Init +2+2E
HP 50/50, Speed 30+10E ft
AC 21+E Touch 12+E, Flat-footed 19+E, Fort +2+E, Ref +7+E, Will +2+E, Base Attack Bonus 3, Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con --, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 1
Condition Undead
Resistances DR 7/Magic and Slashing, Turn Resist +4+2*

Essentia: 2+*, Capacity: 2
[2] Incarnum Speed: +10E land speed and +2E Init
[1] Incarnum Defense: +E AC and Saves

*=Adun's investment in Necrocarnum Circlet.

At the commotion above a surge of dark lightning dances silently from Adun's strange gauntlets. Limning the stream of energy are stretched faces screaming in silent horror and pain from being combined with the tainted touch of the now corrupt creature that Adun has become. He is about to charge up the stairs when he hears Basil's warning and glances around quickly, "At the very least those who cannot or should not be in combat should take cover behind the casks or something. A single fireball could incinerate us all."

It amuses me greatly that my stat block is like 10 times larger than anything else I post. Well, the IC would have been longer, but my computer locked up again. Le Sigh.

Adun's Init: [roll0]
Arstor, if seperate: [roll1]

Arcana: [roll3]
Religion: [roll4]
Planes: [roll5]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-23, 02:17 AM
An excellent suggestion. While I believe this undead flesh is not exceptionally flammable, I have no wish to test that hypothesis personally. Basil, withered hands still at the ready, strides behind a barrel and lowers himself to his knees.

Basil uses his move action to get behind cover, if he isn't already (standard is still readying to cast); Fishy, if you could mock up a map of the room, that might help us set up better.

Ryuuk
2010-03-23, 07:54 AM
Amir

The Brelish, right... Amir simply nods at the answer, but he's forced to leave it at that. It looked like there really was someone upstairs.

He finally grips his sword, and in one swift flourish, a brief scraping as its tip runs across the ground, readies it. He holds it in both hands, the memories of his stance flooding back. As everything else, it felt different, like being an observer, but he'd using it for so long that he didn't need the swords input. It least, he thought so.

"Very well then, we'll wait." He'd be able to prove it shortly.

HP 55/55
AC 19

Stance: Iron Guard's Glare
Crusader Maneuvers
[roll1]
[roll2]

Crusader's Strike
Foehammer

AmberVael
2010-03-23, 09:18 AM
Seeker

"There is little to know about me except that I am loyal to the Seekers."
Seeker replies at last, the violet light in her eyes now mirrored in her hands as it begins concentrating there in a deadly form of energy.
"Our friend upstairs sound rather opposed to us, on the other hand. One way or another, we need to eliminate him. Of course, if we kill him, that may just bring further trouble on our heads."
Knowledge (Arcana): [roll1]

She currently has Otherworldly Whispers and See the Unseen active. Her Precognitive Vision bonuses are added to AC and Attack bonus (which should already be on her character sheet)

Fishy
2010-03-23, 10:28 AM
Mercury is halfway up the stairs when the first of the armed, armored and jack-booted undead come storming down the staircase into the cellar. Basil reacts first, diving behind the barrels and readying a spell, while Seeker gets a bolt of arcane energy ready to greet the intruders.

First down the staircase is a zombie with thick, leathery skin, Karrnathi platemail, and a massive tower shield. It moves far enough down the staircase to make room for the squad behind it, then blocks off the area with a wall of darkwood.

Two skeletons with four swords are next, vaulting over the rickety wooden railing of the staircase- a long enough drop to be daunting for a living creature, but they shake off the jarring landing.

A third skeleton with a shortbow follows... [And what happens next depends on Seeker's readied/surprise action.]

Map:http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/1189/winecellar1.png

The wine cellar is... small. The barrels used in the ritual are large enough to hold an adult humanoid- they aren't stacked tight enough to completely block the space, but they count as difficult terrain and provide cover.

MountainKing
2010-03-23, 10:30 AM
Ganymede

"Wait, wait, wait... whoever "he" is, he said he could protect *us*," Ganymede looked over at Thurin, "I think I have an idea... one just rash enough to work," a remarkably evil grin lit his features.

"Thurin, and anyone likewise less than durable, should hide beneath the stairs; you sir, Amir, you look like a strapping lad, find a barrel nearest to the stairs," he smirked at Freddy, "Fighting in a basement could have plenty of advantages. We just have to find them; be so kind as to find concealment near Amir, good sir, and we'll give them a tossing... if I can't talk them out of it." With that, Ganymede curled his hand into an O-shape and appeared to speak into it... and suddenly, the basement was filled with the eerie sound of laughing children.

"Now quickly! Hide!" hissed the bard, ducking toward the stairs.

Ganymede will wait for people to start taking positions, because a basement actually isn't a bad place to fight, and then will cast Ghost Sound to lure the enemy down to us. They're less likely to burn the place down if they think there's children involved, or if they think they've got men still downstairs searching for children.

That said, the stairs are a natural chokepoint; we should use that to our advantage. Of course, fighting the enemy where they get elevation bonuses is silly... which is why Freddy and Amir should leave an empty 5x5 at the bottom of the stairs, so that unless the enemy has reach weapons, they have to fight on our level.

Also, incoming relevant checks:

Bluff (to make Ghost Sound convincing): [roll0]
Spellcraft (suggested by DM?): [roll1]
Knowledge (Arcana) (also suggested.): [roll]1d20+12

Fishy
2010-03-23, 10:58 AM
Basil, Adun and Freddy: The spell that you just felt ending was a chaotic wave of Negative Energy- barely more than a cantrip and too unfocused to be of any real threat to the living. Nevertheless, the 'white noise' it generates is quite effective at clouding the sense of creatures attuned to it- hence the common name of the spell, 'Hide From Undead'

Ganymede, Basil, Adun and Freddy: Fun fact! While they are immune to most magic that affects the minds of living creatures, there are a whole host specialized spells to force undead creatures to obey. Someone high enough in the Karrnathi military to command troops probably knows several of them.

MountainKing
2010-03-23, 11:19 AM
Ganymede

"Fight to disable them! Maybe we can discuss this!" Ganymede shouted, hauling his lute to bear. Flicking his pick out of the fretboard, the bard gently kissed the lute and murmured, "Please, don't let me make a mess of this..." Closing his eyes, Ganymede began to play what amounted to... well, hopefully, a shockingly impressive melody. When he opened his eyes, he looked directly at the trio of skeletons, and gave them a show.

Well, I'm not exactly sure what counts as "Nearby combat", since it doesn't actually SAY IT in the book, soooo we're going to try for a use of Bardic Music to Fascinate the weaker, unarmored skeletons. Will DC to resist is equal to my perform check. Should be able to target three of them.

I dunno if it'll get me awesome points or not, but for what he's playing, envision if you will the intro to Through the Fire and the Flames. Let's hope I don't booch it! :smallwink:

Perform (Stringed Instrument): [roll1]

AmberVael
2010-03-23, 12:12 PM
Seeker

As the undead approach, Seeker raises her hands, pinpointing the skeleton that jumped towards her before striking at it with a snarling blast of violet power which arcs like lightning, but appears more as smoke or the shimmering of heat.

This is her readied action.

Standard Eldritch blast. I'll make it Frightful just because I can, but I really doubt the skeleton will be affected by that.

Touch Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Fishy
2010-03-23, 07:58 PM
Two skeletons with four swords are next, vaulting over the rickety wooden railing of the staircase- a long enough drop to be daunting for a living creature, but they shake off the jarring landing.

Seeker shoots a bolt of eldritch power at the closest, and just barely misses.

A third skeleton with a shortbow follows...

... Close enough to see the blast, and returns fire on Seeker, also missing.

[And now everybody else goes. I don't think I've mentioned it earlier, but we'll be using Saph's Initiative Method (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=110323), so basically everyone post at once.]

esorscher
2010-03-23, 08:54 PM
Mercury

"I hate fighting without an exit," Mercury said, "And you're standing between me and the door." This comment, obviously directed at the mindless undead blocking the stairs with the tower shield. Mercury tightened his fist, thrusting it forth at the massive shield.

Sunder Attempt against the Tower Shield. I am assuming he is using the total cover aspect of the Tower Shield and thus does not get any attacks.

Sunder Attempt: [roll0]
Sunder Damage: [roll1]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-23, 09:19 PM
As he recognizes the pulse of energy for what it was, Basil strokes (what used to be) his goatee thoughtfully. Interesting choice. I believe I shall respond in kind momentarily. He continues his under-his-breath chanting, watching the Karrnathi warriors closely.

OOC
Basil continues casting summon undead I.

Fishy
Should we roll Will saves for the bad guy's hide from undead now, since we won't know when he comes down, or what?

Ryuuk
2010-03-23, 11:45 PM
Amir

"You can't disable them, they'll keep going until they've crumbled..." Watching the scene, part of him can't help but feel that this will be the perfect test. It had been so long since he last cut through Karrnath undead.

"...and even then, I'd prefer to crush their bones for good measure!" He charges forward and in one swift motion tries to cleave through the closest skeletal warrior.

Moves to C3
Uses Foehammer (+2d6 Damage, ignores Damage Reduction) against S1
Stance: Iron Guard's Glare (Enemies i threaten take a -4 penalty to attack rolls against allies I'm adjacent to)
Similar Note: White Raven Defense: Allies around me get +1 AC, I get +1 if an Ally is next to me

Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]+[roll2]
Factored In: Favored Enemy: Undead +2, PA -1, +2

Fishy
2010-03-25, 06:20 AM
[Apologies for the initiative confusion- we're currently waiting on Adun and Seeker, and then the Bad Dudes will go again. Also, what is Basil summoning and where?]

AmberVael
2010-03-25, 08:47 AM
Seeker

As the skeletons close in, Seeker reforms her power, shifting from a ray of energy into a strangely morphic lance. Though only a short length between her hands, as she moves into combat and strikes out, it flows with her motion, stretching and compacting to make the most of every strike, as if it were liquid.

Eldritch Glaive- attacking the closest skeleton again.

Touch attack: [roll0]

And again, Frightful Blast. Pretty much just assume this is always added to her eldritch attacks, as I've got nothing else and I don't lose anything by adding it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-25, 11:21 AM
Basil's summoning a human warrior skeleton at B3.

Tacitus
2010-03-25, 12:22 PM
Adun and Arstor

The father and son pair shuffle around slightly, the desert warrior fousing all is energy on warping the strange objects cinging to his body while the shambling noble moves to protect him.

I totally thought I replied. I am SO sorry.
Full round action for Rapid Meldsaping. Take out Impulse Boots from the Feet and add Armbands of Disruption to the Arms.
(Lightning Gauntlets are Hands, and are thus not affected.)
Quick question. Armbands of Disruption create a burst of incarnum which disrpts undead. Since I'm channeling this through the soulmelds can I assume that I'm not going to burn myself as well, or am I going to be obliteratng limbs by doing this?
If I'd bur myself I would have to take a different action, but for expediency assume full defense.

Adun fve foot steps down one square and Arstor 5 fts west 1 and goes full defense.

Fishy
2010-03-25, 07:59 PM
[Adun can't use the Armguards of Disruption anyway, since they have the [Good] type and he's an Incarnate. Sorry]

Fishy
2010-03-27, 01:52 AM
"Oh. Oh no." Thurin stares in dumb shock for a moment as violence starts to unfold, visibly shaken. He snaps out of it, and desperately grabs at the phylacteries left on the altar, [Ganymede and Basil's rings, I believe], snatching them up before diving behind cover.

Ganymede gets behind the barrels as well and fills the cramped space with his awesome battle theme music, causing the skeletons to stop and stare with awe. [which normally wouldn't work, but hey, natural 20.]

Freddy smashes his undead fist against the zombie's shield- the darkwood cracks and strains under the blow, but stays in one piece.

Amir, taking advantage of the skeletons' distraction, rushes in and delivers a bone-crunching hit, though not enough to take it out of the fight entirely.

Arstor protectively moves himself in front of his son, who moves out of the way of the stairs.

Basil finishes his spell, and a skeletal warrior coalesces out of the aether. It swings its scimitar at its Karrnathi counterpart, and misses entirely.

Seeker takes another shot at the surprisingly agile skeleton, and leaves scorch marks on the staircase behind it.

Entrancing as Ganymede's song is, three different fighters all trying to kill it with varying degrees of success is a rather serious distraction. The Karrnathi warrior lashes out at Amir with two savage scimitar swipes at neck-level. They both connect [dealing 9 and 7 damage], slashing the Cyran's throat and severing his jugular- which, fortunately, is now purely decorative.

The zombie reaches out with a rotting hand and makes a grab for Freddy's throat- it not only misses, but leaves himself open for a counterattack. [Help yourself to an AoO]

The other skeletons are still entranced, but that won't last for much longer...

Map:http://img651.imageshack.us/img651/561/winecellar2p.png

MountainKing
2010-03-27, 07:53 AM
Ganymede

Wrapped up in his own song, Ganymede continues to play, planting a foot against the side of one of the barrels and playing his lute in an upright position, braced against his hip. While his music maintains its grip on the weaker skeletons, Ganymede lays eyes on the bigger Karnnathi counterpart battling Amir, and musters up every ounce of his bardic glory...

I don't know if it'll actually work, but the feat descriptor doesn't say that Daunting Presence is mind-effecting, nor does it give it the Fear descriptor. Come to think of it, it's kind of open ended that way, but there is no limit to how often I can use the feat, so I'll try anyway. I'd like to maintain my Fascinate for this round (Perform below), and use a Standard action for Daunting Presence, selecting the Karrnathi skeleton with a tower shield.

...I really don't have any actions in mind other than this, so, if Daunting Presence isn't one of the cool kids (like Turn Undead, which actually makes undead wail in terror while fleeing), theeeeen I guess I maintain my Fascinate, and that's about it. Otherwise, gogo DC 17 (I think? Lemme check...) Will save or Shaken! :smallbiggrin:

Perform (Stringed Instruments): [roll0]

EDIT: Yeah, 10+1/2 hit dice+Cha mod, so DC 17 if I get to Daunting Presence undead. Here's hoping!

esorscher
2010-03-27, 09:52 AM
Mercury

As the zombie's rotted hand reaches forward, Mercury has a flash of worry--not for the attack, which easily misses, but for his own future: is he going to spend his eternity deteriorating as well? Well, his life won't be very long if they don't get out of the basement. He counters the zombie's attack, and then follows up with a flurry of attacks. "YOU'RE IN ONE OF THE WORST POSITIONS," he bellows, knowing full well that his insult is lost on the zombie. "BETWEEN YOUR MOTHER AND A CAKE."

Swift Action to change damage to slashing.
AoO:
[roll0], [roll1]
Flurry of Blows:
[roll2], [roll3]
[roll4], [roll5]

Ryuuk
2010-03-27, 11:24 AM
Amir

Now this part was a bit... different. Before, all he had to do was let the pain push him forward, let it get the adrenaline flowing. It usually didn't even hurt until after the rush. But now? It hadn't hurt... it should have been fatal, but he could hardly feel it... It'd have taken my life if I hadn't thrown it out already... Not yet, you won't stop me, neither of you will... I still have too much to do...

Ignoring the gash, he clenches his jaw and tightens the grip on the hilt. Halfway through it's cut, it gains a a faint glow. and I'll do it even if the rest of me is in shambles

A part of him at the back of his mind came to the conclusion that anger and resolve may be good substitutes for pain and chemistry.

5ft step to C2
Using Revitalizing Strike (If it connects, he heals 3d6+5 HP) against S1
44/55 HP + 5 Damage in his Steely Resolve damage pool
AC 19, 20 if there's an ally adjacent to Amir

Factored in: Furious Counterstrike +1/+1, FE: Undead +0/+2

Revitalizing Strike: +[roll2] HP

AmberVael
2010-03-27, 01:21 PM
Seeker

Poor luck and the lingering effects of her hallucinations kept Seeker from landing any of her blows, and it was beginning to frustrate her a little. She sought another opening as her allies crowded around her...

Suddenly, those same effects which had hampered her before turned to her aid. In a single moment of insight, Seeker feels the right path before her, the feverish shroud pointing her - wait- there! She sweeps in low, scything in an attack in an arc calculated to cut through the skeleton's defenses.

Can we assume Basil didn't summon his undead right in front of me? Or that I'm in another square? Because that's really annoying. I'm basically a tank, I don't really need to be kept out of combat range. Otherwise, I'm going to have to move out of the way and might not be able to get a hit in.

Anyway:
Eldritch Glaive, Frightful Blast, blah blah.

Touch Attack: [roll0]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-27, 02:04 PM
"Oh. Oh no." Thurin stares in dumb shock for a moment as violence starts to unfold, visibly shaken. He snaps out of it, and desperately grabs at the phylacteries left on the altar, [Ganymede and Basil's rings, I believe], snatching them up before diving behind cover.

When I said Basil "retrieved his possessions" I was including the phylactery in that, so he should have that on him. Sorry if I was a bit vague.

Can we assume Basil didn't summon his undead right in front of me? Or that I'm in another square? Because that's really annoying. I'm basically a tank, I don't really need to be kept out of combat range. Otherwise, I'm going to have to move out of the way and might not be able to get a hit in.

When I was starting to summon it you were on the other side of the room; I wasn't intending to put it next to you. If Fishy doesn't mind, I can have summoned it to C2 instead.

Ryuuk
2010-03-27, 03:04 PM
Vael, why not just move to C4 or to a square in row D? (At least, I think that's the table in C4 and C5, you should be able to stand there no problem) You have Eldritch Glaive gives you a weapon with reach, right? Even if the zombie was somewhere else, you would have to stay at least 10ft away if you want to threaten anything anyway.

EDIT: Ah, I see, an attack with an Eldtrich Glaive is always a full round action... Well, I'm currently moving to C2, but since my attack is just a standard action, I could just move to C1 and still perform the strike. Keep in mind that as long as you guys are adjecent to me though, you're getting +1 to AC (White Raven Defense) and any enemy I threaten takes a -4 to hit against you (Iron Guard's Glare).

Tacitus
2010-03-27, 04:21 PM
Adun and Arstor
Init +2
AC 23 Touch 12, Flat-footed 21, Fort +4, Ref +4+0, Will +9, Base Attack Bonus 3, Essentia Pool 8
Condition Undead
Resistances Energy 10 (Cold, Electricity), Energy 5 (Acid), Turn Resist +1

[0] Impulse Boots: Uncanny Dodge. +E enhancement on Reflex Saves
[4] Lightning Gauntlets: 1d6+Ed6 Electricity damage as a Touch
[3] Vitality Belt: (An irrelevant Con based bonus) and +6Ehp
[1] Necrocarnum Circlet: Unerringly detect Undead within 30ft as Blindsense. +E Turn Resist to Undead within 30ft. +2E if created by Adun

[B]Class Features
Detect Good At-Will

Arstor Ulhar
Sophisticated Zombie, HD 6,
Init +2+2E
HP 50/50, Speed 30+10E ft
AC 21+E Touch 12+E, Flat-footed 19+E, Fort +2+E, Ref +7+E, Will +2+E, Base Attack Bonus 3, Abilities Str 14, Dex 14, Con --, Int 10, Wis 10, Cha 1
Condition Undead
Resistances DR 7/Magic and Slashing, Turn Resist +4+2*

Essentia: 2+*, Capacity: 2
[2] Incarnum Speed: +10E land speed and +2E Init
[1] Incarnum Defense: +E AC and Saves

*=Adun's investment in Necrocarnum Circlet.

Moving with speed and grace the zombie advances through the room ahead of his son and lashes out with a powerful fst infused with fell necrocarnum. The boy rushes across the room, unable to reach the skeletons in time to attack this round.

Arstor moves to C1. 50ft speed is plenty to walk around the back side of the room and get into position, taking a swing (slam) at S2
Damage: [roll1] [Magic, Evil, Bludgeoning]
Adun moves to D2 and declares Full Defense.

Well thats not going to work. >.< No movement and some more full dfense, I suppose.

Fishy
2010-03-29, 10:36 AM
[Just waiting on Dice, and then we can get rolling.]

esorscher
2010-03-29, 10:42 AM
OOC: Good one!

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-29, 11:05 AM
[Sorry about the delay; I accidentally unsubscribed and couldn't find the thread for a bit.]

Basil fingers his chin, looking at the rather annoying zombie with the tower shield, then reaches into his pockets and makes a gesture in its direction. Hmm, I wonder. The Karrnathi may have protected against this, but it is certainly worth a try....

Command undead on the zombie with the shield.

Fishy
2010-03-29, 11:59 AM
A furious, gutteral growl escapes he zombie warrior's rotting lips- "My mother was a saint!" Ganymede's song has no effect on it, Freddy's palm-edge strikes bounce harmlessly off of its half-plate armor, but the creature looks ready to kick him down the stairs for that insult when Basil's spell clouds its mind. Suddenly confused and lacking direction, the zombie pulls its shield up into a full-defensive position and holds the stairs.

The battle with the skeletons goes less well. Amir circles around and swings hard at one, joined by Basil's skeleton, while Arstor takes the other. A swift parry deflects the Cyran's glowing blade and the Summoned Skeleton and Sophisticated Zombie miss entirely. Seeker blasts a neat hole through the closer one's breastplate, and the skeleton staggers, almost ready to drop, but determined to fight it out. Both skeletons rain blows down on Amir, but only two of the four connect. [dealing 6 damage each] The combat is close and fierce enough to shake the skeletal archer out of his musically-induced trance, and he fires two arrows in Seeker's general direction.

Thurin, for his part, seems to be all but catatonic, clutching Ganymede's ring to his chest and cowering behind a barrel.

"Music? Khyber's Teeth, men- what's going on down there?!"

The skeleton at the top of the stairs turns its bare skull, hissing airily at the commander: "Resistance, sir!"

Map:http://img243.imageshack.us/img243/8018/cellar3.png

EDIT @ Dice: I've just put the details in the OOC thread.

MountainKing
2010-03-29, 12:07 PM
Ganymede

Hearing that, Ganymede shouts out above the sound of his playing, which he does *not* stop at all; he can't let the skeletons free themselves up for further battle.

"Aye, resistance! We're defending ourselves!" Ganymede raised an eyebrow and muttered, "It wasn't my idea," before resuming his shout, "Look, call off your men so we can talk about this, hey? I don't want to fight any more than you do, and I think we'd all like to see another glorious night beneath Ruinous, the Great Karnnathi Lion*!"

Ganymede will be maintaining his music for Fascinate, and trying to talk to whoever's in charge. The asterisk is a made up name for a made up constellation of stars. I... I hope that's cool. So, Perform, and if necessary, a Diplomacy roll, though I believe that actually takes like a minute to actually do... I'll do the roll, just in case.

Perform: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-29, 12:19 PM
Can I assume by that description that the zombie is now under Basil's control?

AmberVael
2010-03-30, 01:18 PM
Seeker

"The will to survive is eternal."
Seeker's lance shifts in her hand, crackling with low notes. With flowing grace, she slides forwards, the lance flowing through her hands to cut through the bones of the skeleton before her.

Seeker attacks S1

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-03-30, 01:27 PM
Basil waves his arm at the commanded zombie to draw its attention, then points to the door. I say! We're not the ones you should be worrying about! There are others much more dangerous to you upstairs; I suggest you hold the door instead.

Having said this, Basil turns to regard the skeletons. Commanding one at a time is not very efficient, he mutters, so let's try something else. Holding out his arms, he strikes a dramatic pose (or as dramatic a pose as a skinny academic can strike, anyway) and shouts for the skeletons to halt.

Basil orders the zombie to block the door first...

Charisma check: [roll0]

...then casts halt undead on the skeletons.

Ryuuk
2010-03-30, 03:41 PM
Amir

"You can talk?" Amir takes a step back. With a flourish, he brings his sword's tip to the ground and tries to breath. That's four... Damn it! How much more am can this frame take? A free hand goes to the wounds he should've taken, or, should've felt. "All these years and I thought you where all mindless."

5ft Step to D1
Standard action to flourish
Swift to recover Warblade Maneuvers

HP 32 / 55, +5 Damage in the pool
AC 19, 20 if adjacent to an ally

esorscher
2010-03-30, 08:15 PM
Mercury

Mercury retreats back to B8. "Lets blast these skeletons while their held, and get that zombie to go upstairs and cause a distraction. If you didn't know, I don't like it down here."

Tacitus
2010-03-31, 01:09 PM
Adun and Arstor

For the time being the father and son stay at the ready, waiting on their companions to see if this can be resolved without further violence. This is not to say, however, that the Sophisticated Zombie is without recourse. A "man" of refinement is always prepared for the unexpected, even if only with a massive meaty fist to the face.

I swear, this this like isn't updating in my subscriptions or something. Jesus.

Arstor readies an action to Slam the nearest zombie if diplomacy fails.
Damage: Damage: [roll1] [Magic, Evil, Bludgeoning]
Adun is delaying until hostilities resume, pretty much.

Fishy
2010-03-31, 11:55 PM
The zombie makes no move to pursue Freddy as he retreats down the stairs, although it does give him a you-do-know-that-I'm-standing-right-here-and-can-hear-you stare.

Basil fires off a wave of powerful magic, paralyzing the closest skeleton. His summon tries to take advantage of the opportunity, and misses. Seeker does better, sweeping her arc of energy right across the skeleton's exposed neck, and the warrior collapses to the ground as an inert pile of bones.

Everyone else holds back, trusting Basil's magic to hold the skeletons at bay... which it doesn't. The other two skeletons, miraculously, shrug off the spell and press their attack. One circles around Arstor to slash again at Amir, fortunately missing twice. Arstor responds by punching it in the face. In a sophisticated manner. The skeletal archer drops its bow, draws its scimitars, and leaps down from the staircase to replace its comrade. The fall doesn't injure it, but leaves it open and off balance for long enough for Arstor to punch it in the face. With sophistication.

Taking his place at the top of the stairs is a tall, muscular knight, with a long jagged scar running up his jaw, and a breastplate made of the bleached white bones of a half-dozen ribcages and spinal columns. In one hand, he wields a longsword set with a gleaming opal in its hilt. In his other hand is a matching opal ring- and more to the point, Agratensia. In the seconds that she's been out of your sight, a pair of iron shackles have been slapped around her wrists, and a rag from the kitchen has been stuffed between her lips. He drags her frail body to the top of the staircase- and the zombie block his way.

"I don't think they're with the Claw," the zombie rumbles in his deep, scratchy voice. "They're just scared, sir."

"Not nearly enough," the knight growls. He yanks on Agratensia's bound chains holding her on display with the point of his sword to her chest. "If any of you value her mockery of a life, drop your weapons. Now!"

Map:http://img714.imageshack.us/img714/9031/cellar4.png

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-01, 12:19 AM
Curses, Basil thinks to himself. I knew forgoing practical magic in favor of theoretical necromancy while working on the phylacteries would be a bad idea! A few months earlier, I'm sure I would have frozen all three of them...

As the knight makes his demand, Basil—not having any weapons to drop—puts his hands on his hips and cranes his neck up at the knight, a frown on his pale face.

Now what is this all about, man? I've never heard a word about "illegal necromancy" in my years of arcane study in Karrnath, and in any case you didn't even bother with the "seize" part of your order before you leaped right to the "destroy" part!

Pause. Basil's face takes on a pensive look.

Hmm. I suppose it's entirely possible the university had the king's sanction, so I wouldn't have heard about the laws on that...but still! You could simply have tried to talk to us!

MountainKing
2010-04-01, 07:55 AM
Ganymede

Ganymede continued to play, regardless of whether or not the magic his song produced was broken... now he was scared. At least a little; the knight at the top of the stairs was, without a doubt, impressive.

"Indeed; in all my travels, I've never heard of Karrnath frowning on the practice of necromancy; seems like such behavior kind of... well, is completely arse backwards. Especially given your peculiar choice of soldiery," Ganymede stood up straight, playing his lute and staring quietly at the knight.

"Look, put me down for being non-violent, right? I've been trying to keep your mates from getting wrecked as best I can, and really, I just want to go quietly out of this mess without any more fighting. So, like I said, and Mr. Basil said, let's discuss this so that nobody else has to die," Ganymede left the statement hanging, then added as an afterthought, "Erm, again."

Perform: [roll0]
Diplomacy: [roll1]

Tacitus
2010-04-02, 07:23 PM
Adun and Arstor

The two look at their hands for a moment and then back up at the knight with the look that just asks exactly how they are supposed to throw down their weapons. Adun does, however, take the crossbow from his back and set it upon the ground.

AmberVael
2010-04-02, 07:28 PM
Seeker

Seeker lets her weapon dissipate, the violet light fading away. It wasn't really a problem for her, as she could bring it back in an instant... but if it made them less inclined to gut someone, it turned it into an advantage.

esorscher
2010-04-02, 07:32 PM
Mercury

Freddy doesn't have any weapons to drop, but he lowers his fists a few inches.

Ryuuk
2010-04-02, 07:39 PM
Amir

Looking at the scene around him, Amir yanks a small gem from his swords pommel and, reluctantly, lets blade drop. Damn it... He lets the iron´s fall ring out through the room as it bounces and finally settles.

Fishy
2010-04-04, 09:16 AM
Around the room, weapons clatter to the floor or dissipate out of existence. Basil's skeleton, being mindless, takes another feeble swing at the Karrnathi troopers- one of them sheathes its swords, and the two working together scuffle to try to get their mindless counterpart into a pin.

"If you haven't noticed, one of my 'mate's has been 'wrecked'," growls the knight, pulling his sword away from Agratensia and gesturing with it at the bard. "And ignorance of the law is not a defense. I don't know what your masters have told you, but you lot are classified as military-grade weaponry under the Treaty of Thronehold, and we're bringing them in for possession."

"Where are they? Who else is in this building?"

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-04, 12:07 PM
Basil's eye sockets narrow in anger. I didn't say I was ignorant, sir, simply uninformed; had you come in and explained the situation in the first place, there would have been no need for hostilities.

Still somewhat flattered by being considered "military-grade weaponry" and thus more willing to cooperate, Basil looks around and, noting everyone to be present, shakes his head. While there were other members of the Seekers working on this project, to my knowledge everyone at this site is currently in this room. We awoke only a short time ago, so if there were any others in the building we didn't see them, and they probably would have left before you arrived.

Trying for a nonchalant tone of voice, Basil continues: So, then, what exactly happens to us? I would hope we aren't to be destroyed, as generally when one is arrested for illegal possession of wands, for instance, the wands themselves are left alone.

MountainKing
2010-04-04, 12:31 PM
Ganymede

"Look, I'm rather sorry that one of your men got wrecked," Ganymede confessed, "But that is not our fault!" Ganymede gestured to himself, Basil, and Thurin, "We didn't want to fight, mate. Believe you me, that wasn't exactly what I had in mind when we heard your lads kick the door in, and I grabbed a *lute*," he gestured to Thurin, "Why, the mere thought of violence nearly had my dear friend here soiling himself... if, well, he were able to..." Ganymede frowned a little and rubbed his chin, "Regardless, I'm not military grade anything, sir knight. I'm a bard; a musician, and an astrologer."

"Mister Basil's got the right of it; there's a definite difference between being ignorant and being uninformed, and we could've avoided this messy business if you'd come down first to talk to us, instead of sending in your mates," Ganymede's frown shifted from annoyed, to perhaps sad, or concerned, "Is there aught that can be done for the lad? Or... are we wasting time, because you never really intended to help us out of here in the first place?" Ganymede gave the knight a meaningful look; he'd heard what the man had said to Agretensia upstairs...

Tacitus
2010-04-05, 12:32 AM
Adun

The tanned corpse stifles a chuckle at the thought of being a military grade weapon. He wonders if perhaps he's as lethal, if not more so, than man of wood, stone, and steel. For the time being he lets the more talkative dead men take care f the wordsmithing.

Fishy
2010-04-06, 03:16 AM
The Karrnathi skeletons finally manage to get their mindless opponent under control, pulling it into a grapple and keeping it from properly swinging its scimitar. That done, the knight sheathes his sword.

"Take Sigor and sweep the upstairs," he orders the zombie. "Now." The zombie shuffles past its master rather awkwardly on the tight staircase, leaving him alone at the top of the stairs.

"The wands aren't destroyed, no, but they are kept out of civilian hands." A frown flickers across his scarred face at Ganymede's accusation, and his voice softens again, explaining and not ordering. "My hands are tied by the law- I will make a note of your cooperation, and I will personally do everything in my power to keep you from being drafted, destroyed, or put into cold storage, but I do have to declare you property of the Throne."

AmberVael
2010-04-06, 09:03 AM
Seeker

"I have no intention of being kept as property."
Seeker states, her voice cutting after her long silence.
"Nor will I accept being punished or rebuked for taking an action which does not affect others."

She steps back, getting ready to summon her lance again if needed.
"I have no desire to fight you, but neither will I comply with your twisted judgment."

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-06, 09:42 AM
Now, now, my dear, let's try to keep this civil, Basil cautions Seeker, making placating gestures. We have brought hostilities to a halt, and there is no need to reopen them as of yet. This man seems to be reasonable, and simply being loyal to his orders; our fight is not with him, but with those who have sent him after us.

Turning to the knight, he crosses his arms and leans in, intent on the knight's answer to his next questions. What exactly is the procedure at this point? Will we have the opportunity to speak in our own defense, and will we remain unmolested while in your care, or are we to be immediately, ah, neutralized in some fashion? I share with my compatriot here the sentiment that I do not wish to be punished prematurely for cooperating with you.

Fishy
2010-04-06, 10:59 AM
Seeker:"Because it's the law!"

The knight shouts in frustration, and suddenly the scar across his jaw is the swirling indigo lines of a Dragonmark, his grisly armor is the brown leather robes of a magewright, and his eyes are filled with pain and desperation. "Because if you can't pretend to give a damn, they will shut you down. They will take everything away, and no one, no one will ever see you, ever again! Does that even matter to you?!"

This is an argument you have had many times. This is the last time you will ever have it.

MountainKing
2010-04-06, 02:05 PM
Ganymede

"While I do think I'd rather leave the act of law to Mister Basil," Ganymede said, "I do have myself a couple more questions. Specifically, sir knight, what is your name, and ah... no offense meant, so beggin' your pardon, but uhm... just how much power to keep us safe and unmolested do you have?" Ganymede's frown turned nervously, "Bein' as I'm sure we all appreciate your willingness to help us, I think it's only fair that we be a little worried about our position," when he said the word "all", Ganymede looked directly at Seeker, praying silently that she'd take a hint and go with things...

Ryuuk
2010-04-07, 02:25 PM
Amir

I'll only ever serve one throne... Amir's had been running his hand down the newest gashes. It would take some getting used to. After following the conversation, he speaks up. "I understand your position, commander. The law's the law, I was a sword for my crown too... I must say though, that my only regret is having been found before I could cross the southern border. Huh, I would that have been considered deserting or larceny?"

"From my understanding, there's no more of your throne's 'property' upstairs, it was just us being turned. We were just waking up again when you arrived, actually." He takes a cautious step from where he's standing, towards the fallen. "He fought well though."

Fishy
2010-04-10, 11:52 AM
"Major, actually," notes the knight, "Major Garrickh Faltoch, and while you are under my protection, no one will ask questions." With a slightly wry smile, he displays the back of his left hand to the room, along with his opal-studded signet ring.

Amir:It's a ring Amir has seen before- not often, but always on the hand of an enemy officer who put up a very stiff fight. It's the insignia of the Order of Rekkenmark, and the mark of a man who graduated with honors from Karrnath's finest military academy, served his country with loyalty and distinction, and has very little to do now that the Last War is over, although King Kaius sometimes turns to the Order for military advice and tasks of an... unusual nature.

"The 'procedure' here is that I take you directly to the nearest warlord, and he decides what to do with you." He pauses. "You don't want me to do that."

"However, it happens that I have some contacts in Karrlakton- if I tell the relevant powers that I found you further south, we'd be in their jurisdiction. I could deliver you there, and you'd be taken care of."

"Alternatively, we could send you to Fort Bones, where you'd receive full citizenship and all the paperwork, in exchange for a year on the walls. There are worse ways to start over."

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-10, 12:29 PM
Hmm. Karrlakton sounds like it would be the more favorable option. No offense intended to you or Karrnath, but becoming tied to a place for a full year does not appeal to me.

MountainKing
2010-04-11, 10:36 AM
Ganymede

"...So if we're made into citizens, then... we have to take on a year of military service? But if we're just captured tools of war... we don't?" Ganymede looked at the knight for confirmation, then slung his lute behind his back.

"Well friends, I think we can agree that this' the best option we have at the moment; nobody needs to get hurt any more, so... I think we ought to do as the man says."

esorscher
2010-04-11, 02:01 PM
Mercury

Freddy nods, bouncing up and down on the balls of his feet. He doesn't trust the soldier, but what choice does he have?

Ryuuk
2010-04-11, 03:16 PM
Amir

"Major, of course." Catching sight of the ring, Amir nods. "...one would expect nothing less of a man from Rekkenmark"

"You offer is very kind, Major Faltoch. I'll agree with the others in saying that if the choice were ours, I would choose Karrlakton." Perhaps the major was planning something. This seemed like too good an offer for a group that had just killed a soldier... Regardless, if he could get to Karrlakton, the rest would be easy. The mist would only be some miles away.

AmberVael
2010-04-11, 03:24 PM
Seeker

Seeker's nails drive into her palms, her violet eyes narrowing further and further.
Never again.

Still, the others were giving in, and without their support, Seeker realizes she'd have a much more difficult time. Together, they would have a chance, but alone, she'd be overwhelmed.

Better to pretend to accept, and then take advantage of any situation that presents itself to her.

Tacitus
2010-04-13, 05:18 PM
Adun and Arstor

The pair say nothing, letting those obviously more accustomed to military regulations and the spoken word take the lead. They have no obvious opinion towards either option.

Fishy
2010-04-15, 08:52 AM
Agratensia gives Basil a skeptical look at the idea of a year being a long time. She says nothing, though. Mostly because of the gag.

"As citizens of Karrnath, you would be given both protections and responsibilities, in accordance with the law. In Karrlakton, you'd have whatever Azra gives you, in exchange for whatever she asks for.

"Either way, I'd be taking you south, so you won't have to decide until Vedykar. You will, however, have to wear these," Garrickh adds, producing another set of shackles from a bag on his belt. "For your own protection, you understand."

Thurin, still cowering behind his barrel, picks this moment to come out of his partial catatonia. "Wait... We can't leave! What about- what about my observatory, and your papers-" He turns to Ganymede with pain in his eyes, though it's hard to tell his exact expression with his face as rotten as it has become. He moves his hands in an intricate motion, and begins to glow with an unearthly light that fills the room. "I know how important they are to you, I can't just walk away... I have to... to..."

Spellcraft DC: 18Thurin is casting Light of Lumia, a spell that channels the raw power of the stars, allowing him to both glow, and fire bolts of energy that can obliterate the undead.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-15, 11:26 AM
Noticing Agratensia's look, Basil rolls his eyes and mouths back I may live forever, but that doesn't mean I don't want to continue my research now.

To the knight: Are those normal shackles, or are they some sort of anti-undead shackles we would--

Out of the corner of his eye, he notices Thurin begin to glow.
Spellcraft: [roll0]
It's not an obviously necromantic spell, so Basil's a bit out of his depth, but he very much doubts Thurin has peaceful intentions. So much for negotiations, he thinks to himself, and edges discreetly away from him.

Back to the knight, trying to distract him from Thurin: Ahem, anti-undead shackles we would be taking our respective unlives in our own hands to wear?

Tacitus
2010-04-16, 03:33 AM
IC dependent on roll
Full defense and half shuffling towards any possible cover without any sudden movements, which will stop in the instance of being told to. Can I read an action to dodge a ray? 0.o I never really thought of it before... Sort of a drop prone in response to someone trying to fling scalding light at you. XD I doubt it, but I'm just kinda musing on the subject, I suppose. Full defense should be enough. *shrug*

Adun and Arstor

The son shuffles back a half step, both him and his father becoming quite agitated at the growing light. Finding an object to place between themselves and the light is preferable, but in a basement with a very scary man holding a hostage at the top of the stairs there really isn't much of a place to go and nothing to do.

MountainKing
2010-04-16, 06:08 PM
Ganymede

[roll0]

Ganymede's eyes grew wide.

"Right, Thurin, look. That's... well, that's rather unlike you, and at the same time very like you, and frankly, I understand. However, that's ah... well, you make a rather compelling argument, friend. We'll discuss it later, shall we?" Ganymede stepped in front of Thurin, making a point of obstructing his line of fire.

"However! We just started talking about this, right? So... let's stay calm, eh? Here," Ganymede unslung his lute then, and promptly stuffed it into Thurin's hands, "You never were very persuasive, my kind old friend. Leave this to me."

With that, the bard turned back to the knight.

"Right, listen, ah, sir. Would we be permitted to gather up our worldly possessions? I've a great deal of work I've done charting the stars, and researching them, and it simply would not do to part with it."

Fishy
2010-04-27, 11:36 AM
The astral glow suffusing Thurin's body turns brighter, coursing down his arms and coalescing into his hands- until a lute is shoved into them. "... What?" Thurin blinks at the momentary cognitive dissonance, and the moment passes. "Oh. Um. Yes, yes, you're absolutely right, my dear boy." If he still had blood, he might be blushing.

Garrickh takes his hand off of the hilt of his sword. "I don't think you've quite grasped what 'Property of the Throne' means-" he begins- but when Ganymede makes his pitiful plea, he sighs in frustration. "Fine. Fine! I'll send a man over- this whole thing is blunted anyway. Anyone else? Perhaps I should pick up some groceries?"

The remaining negotiations pass quickly, although the Major's disgruntled mood does not.

Afterwards:

Spring in Karrnath, and clumps of stubborn snow litter the ground, convincing themselves that the weather will turn for the worse again if they can just wait it out one more day. The air was bitingly cold yesterday- when you had skin that could feel it- but if it still is, Major Faltoch shows no sign of it. He rides in angry silence on a skeletal warhorse, leading the ragtag column of his prisoners, and the three remaining members of his guard. (Not counting the skeleton he sent running off to Atur, true to his word.) He showed no interest in going there himself- or being seen on the main road, sticking instead to the flat land either side of the lightning rail tracks. He also has showed no interest in interrupting the march for even a moment.

Hours slip away. The dreary scenery rolls past, the mountains loom in the near distance. The sun rises, briefly, and then immediately disappears behind the clouds.

The only excitement over the course of the day's march is when the dull roar of the lightning rail approaches from the distance. Each time, Garrickh rouses himself from his waking sleep in the skeleton's saddle, signals everyone off the path and to a safe distance, and the train goes by in a blur of speed and sound and electrical sparks. But by the third train, even that becomes routine.

Until the fifth, when Agratensia leaps away from her guards, and sprints towards the tracks and the oncoming train.

MountainKing
2010-04-27, 12:52 PM
Ganymede

"For the love of the gods," Ganymede groaned, shouting a warning, "Come on then, stop her! This isn't going to end well!" Snapping his fingers, Ganymede took off at a very fast jog, calling after her, "C'mon Agretensia, this is madness! We've got nothing to lose, so why do this?"

Cast Expeditious Retreat, unless we're so close to the tracks and thus the lightning rail, that Agretensia gets pasted next round, and there's no stopping it.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-04-27, 02:32 PM
Basil lets out an exasperated sigh. "It's either suicide or solitary escape, neither of which helps the rest of us." Debating the merits of trying to run after Agratensia and Ganymede, he quickly determines that he wouldn't be able to make it in time; instead, he throws out a hand and yells "Agratensia! For the love of Vol, STOP!" His words are infused with magic that should hopefully bring her to a halt.

Halt undead targeted at Agratensia only, Will DC 16.

Ryuuk
2010-04-28, 07:07 PM
Amir

"You know, that's definetly conviction. Guess she's rather die again then join the army." Amir watches on, it was her choice really, and he had to admit, it was rather clever. She'll simply reform in time, won't she? And she'll be free... I´ve got to remember that. He watches on, making no attempt to stop her, unconsioulsy carassing his necklace.

Tacitus
2010-04-28, 07:33 PM
Adun and Arstor

Though the Sophisticated Zombie does not seem to notice, and indeed keeps on trudging forward as though nothing were happening, Adun pauses and glances towards the tracks. Even though physical sensations are dulled a thrumming pulses through is being as his boots alert him to danger. He looks to the lightning rail and dives into action!

...away from the oncoming train and out of the path to ensure he would not be splattered to bits if by some miracle she manages to derail the train with her broken body. As it comes closer Arstor will step off to the side in a routine manner, regardless of what happens behind him.

Fishy
2010-04-30, 12:57 AM
Ganymede quickly works out that there's not enough time to cast his spell, run after Agratensia, and get her out of harm's way. The heavily-armored skeletons are too slow to grab her, and she simply shrugs off Basil's magical restraints. She stops directly in the middle of the path of conductor stones, and turns to face the train-

Seeker:-and when she turns around, she has long, dark hair and violet eyes: your face, cackling with glee at her oncoming destruction-

"I have work to do."

And with a rush of wind, a crackle of lightning, and the crunch of metal on bone, she's gone.

The train lurches and skids to a stop, far too late, and Garrickh stares in disbelief. This is not going to be a good day. "... Would anyone care to explain what that was about?"

Ryuuk
2010-04-30, 06:59 AM
Amir

Amir shrugs. "It seems she preferred to meet the train head on over her new owners. Strange how she could have business in Dolurrh though." He scratches his chin, thoughtfully.

"Well, orders Major? The Orien guys might have some questions for us if we stick around. Nothing out of the ordinary, I assume? Just a recruit that decided to end her service to the nation early?" He lifts his hand, shaking the chains slightly. "The shackles might be harder to explain though."

MountainKing
2010-04-30, 01:57 PM
Ganymede

The bard sighed and pinched the bridge of his nose in a gesture normally for the living. Looking up, he raised an eyebrow and stared pointedly at Thurin, saying flatly,

"Don't. Even. Think about it."

Tacitus
2010-04-30, 04:06 PM
Adun and Arstor

With practiced precision the Sophisticated Zombie marches back towards the tracks a few moments later and is puzzled to find a stopped train. He looks towards his son, who is crouched behind a mound of snow he seemed to think would keep him safe in case of some catastrophe. Neither say anything, and will not unless directly addressed.

Fishy
2010-05-03, 07:01 AM
Amir's warning turns out to be prophetic, as a pair of House Orien guards appear from behind the train, moving at a swift jog. "I'll take care of that," Garrickh says with a sigh- but his next words are swift, confident orders. "Stay here. Don't do anything stupid." He jumps down from his mount and goes to negotiate through the tangled mess of legal obligations that are about to pop up, leaving you under the guard of his skeleton crew.

Thurin wilts slightly under Ganymede's stare. "Oh! Oh, no, no, I wouldn't dream of it, my dear boy, no... Um. Hello?"

Slightly confused, he waves at the train: In addition to the gawkers staring out of their windows, one dwarf appears to be waving merrily at him from behind the glass.

The dwarf next to him, a lady-of-a-certain-age wearing a long white and gold fur coat, suddenly snaps. Furious, she grabs at his shirt and pulls him closer to the window, shouting something and pointing directly at Arstor.

Ryuuk
2010-05-03, 06:16 PM
Amir

"Hehe..." Amir gives the travelers in the train a quick look before shrugging and putting a hand at his neck. He moves his head in circular motions and hears a few cracks. He'd like to have felt that.

"Hey Gany, Thurin, how long had Agratensia been with the seekers? Was she pretty high up?" He subtly motions to the skeletons and gives the pair a careful look. He didn't know just how much the throne knew about the seekers, but he'd prefer not to be the one to slip any secrets.

Tacitus
2010-05-03, 06:17 PM
Adun and Arstor

The Sophisticated Zombie seems to notice this and wit a slight bow he pops off his top hat in a particularly graceful manner with a flourish to accompany his bow. For a moment a matte black crown is revealed upon his head, the incorporeal necrocarnum having been hidden by the stately headgear. He lets out a long low 'mrrrrrrrr' before he straightens up and resumes standing in a refined posture as though nothing had happened, staring off into space.

The boy is still crouched behind his snow.

MountainKing
2010-05-04, 09:54 AM
Ganymede

"Eh? Wot?" Ganymede looks at Amir with confusion, "Err, I'll have to defer that to Thurin alone, I'm afraid. I ah... I don't even know if I'm actually *in* this organization... what did you call us? The Seekers?" The bard looked genuinely perplexed and rubbed his jaw, before unslinging his lute and beginning to tune it idly.

"Awwre, what's this then," he grumbled; the lute must've jostled or something to be so out of tune!

Fishy
2010-05-10, 06:05 AM
"Agratensia? Well, she is- er, was, a very private person. I know that she recruited me, but she can't be that old... And for that matter, 'Higher up' is a bit of a misnomer, we're not nearly as formal as all that. My dear boy, not only are you a member, you're an equal, and it's an honor to be... erm. Incarcerated with you, I suppose."

Meanwhile, on board the train, the argument between the two dwarves seems to be continuing, and it's not altogether clear who's winning. They both get up from their seats, disappear out of the range of the window for a moment-

And then a well-dressed dwarf drops out of the sky, landing hard on the rocks next to Agratensia's arm with a rather unpleasant crunch.

MarvinMartian
2010-05-10, 06:51 AM
The well-dressed dwarf looks rather bewildered and confused as he gets to his feet. Half way between standing and crouching he apparently notices his close proximity to a severed arm and makes a small, startled jump to the side.

Looking around at his surroundings he immediately locks gazes with Ganymede - puts on a cheerful smile and walks towards him.

Stopping just shy of Ganymede and the rest of the group, he offers his hand.

"Dear fellow - you look like a fairly knowledgeable fellow ... do you have any idea where we are? Oh and yes, by the way, my name is Gerdy - and you are?"

It is at this point he apparently notices the skeletal guard and a befuddled look crosses his face.

"Are these your ... escorts?"

MountainKing
2010-05-10, 09:01 AM
Ganymede

"How is it that I'm standing next to a pair of wizardous types, yet I'm the one who appears knowledgeable?" The bard rubbed the back of his head, "The best I can tell you, sir, is that you likely ought to be directing your questions to the Captain over there," Ganymede smirked a little and pointed, "He is, after all, in charge here," the bard looked at Thurin, now grinning, "We wouldn't want to tread all over his authority, now would we?"

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-10, 10:31 AM
Basil looks the newcomer up and down, mentally filing him under "not the brightest sunrod in the box" for the time being. He steps forward and gives an abbreviated bow. "A pleasure to meet you, Gerdy; I am called Basil." In a softer tone, he motions to Gerdy's outstretched hand and notes "I would strongly suggest you not shake the hand of any person in our group. We are...slightly life-impaired at the moment and it could cause problems for you."

Fishy
2010-05-11, 10:20 AM
Garrickh is just out of sight, at the front of the train, engaged in a complex, multi-layered game of 'pass the buck'. On the other hand, having a dwarf drop out of the sky is enough to get anyone's attention. "Oh, what is it NOW?!"

It's then when he notices Gerdy, and more importantly, Gerdy's right leg. He landed badly from the fall, and his knee and ankle are twisted in unnatural angles. If he actually were dependent on his biology in any meaningful way, it would be excruciating.

Garrickh storms towards the group, one hand on his sword hilt while he twist the other through the motions of a spell...

Spellcraft: DC 16That would be Detect Undead.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-11, 10:30 AM

Noticing the major's actions, Basil turns to Gerdy and gestures to the mangled leg. "We aren't exactly on the best of terms with the Karrnathi at the moment; that isn't going to help. Since you aren't screaming in pain, I assume you are also life-impaired--I should have noticed that earlier--and the question is, are you also a Seeker?"

MarvinMartian
2010-05-11, 01:24 PM
[roll0]

does gerdy make his spellcraft check.... sweet nailed it ;)

Thinking quickly Gerdy ... Spot DC = 31
mutters under his breath and disguises the movement of his casting in his sleeves casting... Spellcraft DC 17 Misdirection to the nearest rock. Will DC 20 to pierce the illusion

Gerdy looks down at his leg and seems to wither at the damage he sees there. With a gasp he collapses to the ground clutching his shattered knee. Between loud groans of agony...

"My leg!!! Just because you didn't want me on your stupid train, you didn't have to drop me from such a height! Bastards..."

Bluff DC 30
Gerdy is such a lier!!

Edit: Editing the rest of my text seems to mess up the dice roller. See OOC for both the Spot and bluff dcs...
Edit: Edited the text for better reading (as well as confusing my spells...)

Ryuuk
2010-05-11, 09:32 PM
Amir

"Right, right, the honor is mutual." He scratches his chin as he looks over the crash scene and finds a dwarf in mid fall. He shrugs as he hits. "She seemed pretty sure of what she was doing at least."

He couldn't help but feel bad for the Major, at least until he remembers the shackles on his wrists. Regardless, he watches the scene with the dwarf from a distance.

Fishy
2010-05-14, 02:24 AM
Gerdy's ruse goes off flawlessly, and Garrick rushes to the fallen Dwarf's side, calling out to the Orien guards over his shoulder- "We need a healer over here!"

He drops to his knees, and reaches for his belt- where, in addition to his sword, several sets of shackles, and a number of sealed pouches, he has a large pair of potion bottles, just in case. "Here, drink this..."

Tacitus
2010-05-14, 02:43 AM
Adun and Arstor

The son sits off to the side, staring at Gerdy while shadows flit between his eyes and a matte black crown atop his head. He moves no closer, but simply watches. The father, meanwhile, has moved much closer to the scene. He plucks out his monocle, which very nearly rips free some of the surrounded tissues which have bloated and nearly sealed around the empty frame. He moves it towards Gerdy and then back again, as if trying to study him through a magnifying glass.

'mrrrrrrrr'

A moment later his son pipes up from behind the snow, "I agree!" To what he is agreeing, exactly, is a mystery to all but the two of them.

PairO'Dice Lost
2010-05-14, 03:30 AM
Basil steps smoothly in between the major and Gerdy, holding out a hand over the major's potion. "There is no need for you to waste a potion, Major; I have a small mastery of the healing arts myself." He lays a hand on Gerdy and chants a few words. A faint white light spreads over Gerdy's wounded leg, mending it as it goes.

Basil casts inflict serious wounds on Gerdy, using his False Theurgy skill trick to make it appear as if he's casting cure serious wounds.

MountainKing
2010-05-14, 08:36 AM
Ganymede

"I can't help but wonder why we're being forced to walk, when there's a perfectly good lightning rail we could be riding," Ganymede mused aloud, "I mean, really, we're not soldiers... alright some of us might be soldiers, but some of us are philosophers! Romantics! Men of science, magic, and skill! It's a shame, isn't it Thurin? The contributions we could be making to the world, if only we weren't being dragged about the countryside." Cracking his knuckles, Ganymede started to play his lute idly, trying to pass the time and pretend like he hadn't been ribbing the Major out loud.

Bluffing... to... sarcasm check? I dunno, because I can. Perform (Stringed Instruments) check, likewise because I can.

Bluff: [roll0]
Perform: [roll1]

MarvinMartian
2010-05-14, 11:34 AM
Gerdy

Bending his newly mended leg and ankle, Gerdy looks up at Basil in appreciation.

"Much appreciated kind sirs!"

Turning to the Major, Gerdy continues.

"Not to put too much of a strain on your kindness; but I seem to find myself in somewhat of a... predicament. Here I am in the middle of nowhere and recently deprived of transportation."

At this Gerdy shakes his fist at the train.

"And very... very far from any sort of civilization... Perhaps... perhaps I could impose on your gratitude a little longer?"

This last is addressed towards the Major with a slightly pitiful tone and puppy-dog eyes.