PDA

View Full Version : [SWSE] New to the system, building a character

Hal
2010-03-20, 11:06 PM
So, I'm starting up a game of Star Wars Saga Edition with some friends. I've never played it before, but I'm familiar enough with 3.5 and 4e D&D that I feel like I understand most of the mechanics.

I decided to play a Wookie Soldier (no force powers in this party). From my brief perusal of the threads on here, I understand that melee isn't exactly optimal in this system, so I'd like some advice on building (and advancing) my character without making him completely useless.

We're starting at level 2 and rolled for stats; I got lucky with 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17. Books available (by which I mean, were loaned to me): Core Rules, Force Unleashed, Scum and Villainy, Clone Wars, KOTOR, Legacy Era, Starships/Threats of the Galaxy (Still not sure why they included the latter two).

Thanks folks.

Mando Knight
2010-03-20, 11:41 PM
Melee's fine, it's just that no-Force melee is a touch lacking. Being a Wookiee helps, though.

Grynning
2010-03-21, 12:40 AM
If you don't have Galaxy at War available, I'd suggest grabbing it for this character. It has some good melee feats, one of which is specific to Wookies, and a Martial Artist prestige class that gives a melee'er some more interesting options without using the force.

Sticking with the main book, Pin is a very powerful feat. If you pick it up and build around grappling, you're only good against one enemy at a time, but they can't do a damn thing as long as you keep winning the grapple check.

kenjigoku
2010-03-21, 12:57 AM
So, I'm starting up a game of Star Wars Saga Edition with some friends. I've never played it before, but I'm familiar enough with 3.5 and 4e D&D that I feel like I understand most of the mechanics.

I decided to play a Wookie Soldier (no force powers in this party). From my brief perusal of the threads on here, I understand that melee isn't exactly optimal in this system, so I'd like some advice on building (and advancing) my character without making him completely useless.

We're starting at level 2 and rolled for stats; I got lucky with 10, 11, 12, 14, 15, 17. Books available (by which I mean, were loaned to me): Core Rules, Force Unleashed, Scum and Villainy, Clone Wars, KOTOR, Legacy Era, Starships/Threats of the Galaxy (Still not sure why they included the latter two).

Thanks folks.

Tank the Wookie
Soilder 2

STR 21 (17 roll)
DEX 12 (14 roll)
CON 14 (12 roll)
INT 11
WIS 13 (15 roll)
CHA 8 (10 roll)

Feats
Armor Proficiency (Light, Medium)
Weapon Proficency (Pistols, Rifles, Simple Weapons)

1st Level - Martial Arts 1 (Nothing like unarmed attacks with a raging Wookie)
2nd Level Soilder - Point Blank Shot (For Elite Trooper)
3rd Level - Dreaful Rage
4th Level Soilder - Martial Arts 2
6th Soilder - Weapon Focus (Unarmed)
6th Level - Extra Rage
8th Level Soilder - Martial Arts 3
9th Level - Extra Rage
12th Level - Republic Military Training
15th Level - Armor Proficency (Heavy)

Talents:
1st Level - Devastating Attack
3rd Level - Melee Smash
5th Level - Stunning Strike
7th Level - Wepon Specalization (Unarmed)
Take Levels in Elite Trooper At Level 9
9th Level - Greater Devastating Attack
11th Level - Improved Stunning Strike
13th Level - Mandalorian Glory
15th Level - Armored Mandalorian
(Do what you like from here)

At 15 You have

STR 24
DEX 12
CON 17
INT 11
WIS 13
CHA 8

Which Means you Unarmed Attack At
+23 dealing 1d10 + 15 (Treating the opponents damage threshold as 10 less and dealing -2 conition with any melee attack bwahahahahahaha)

Raging

+25 dealing 1d10 + 19

Defenses are

REF: 28
FOR: 35
WIL: 30

Based on the assumption that you are wearing Heavy Powered Battle Armor, using Scum and Villany attach the Armor Upgrages Internal Power Generator and Shield 10.

The Damage Reduction from Elite Trooper with the Mandalorian talent should be 7.

In theory your character should be nearly impervious to many standard weapons from your shields and DR alone. Your impressive HP allows your to withstand the penalties of a poor reflex defense. Your character can effectivley render opponents usless with two attacks (may want to look into double attack in place of extra rages if you feel they are unessecary). You probably will never kill an opponent but in three rounds is a good chance anyone (even a character with 1000 HP) unconcous due to the damage you can deal by overcoming their damage threshold and attacking their poorly designed condition track directly.

I forgot to mention in the original post that the Improved Stunning Strike also prevents your foe from making any standard or full-round actions, effectively shutting them down from anything but running for their pathetic lives.

Credit to Lord Mikal for being a living encylopedia of SWSG for this build.

Author's Note, there are more "OP" versions of this build on the internet. This was designed for amusment, balance, and allowing your GM to challenge you a bit :)!

EDITED for spelling