PDA

View Full Version : Lie bumps!

Froogleyboy
2010-03-21, 12:08 AM
Okay, at the moment, my tounge is covered in transient lingual papillitis (or "Lie bumps") and I have no idea how to make it stop hurting. I tried to cut one off and that just made me bleed :( any advice on curing the pain?

Lycan 01
2010-03-21, 12:09 AM
Doctor...?

Serpentine
2010-03-21, 12:13 AM
You can get numbing ulcer treatment. Maybe that'd help...?

Kallisti
2010-03-21, 12:49 AM
Doctor...?

This. Chances are a doctor will know how to cure those.

In the meantime, you can probably take over-the-counter painkillers.

Or just suck on a mouthful of ice. That should numb your mouth pretty completely soon enough.

Also, for the love of God, Montresor, don't try cutting them off. I guarantee you that's a bad idea. If it's the kind of growth that needs to be cut off, the doctor you are TOTALLY GOING TO VISIT should tell you that.

Hawk7915
2010-03-21, 01:03 AM
This. Chances are a doctor will know how to cure those.

In the meantime, you can probably take over-the-counter painkillers.

Or just suck on a mouthful of ice. That should numb your mouth pretty completely soon enough.

Also, for the love of God, Montresor, don't try cutting them off. I guarantee you that's a bad idea. If it's the kind of growth that needs to be cut off, the doctor you are TOTALLY GOING TO VISIT should tell you that.
This times three. A quick google search reveals that it should last between three and ten days. That sucks, but painkillers and a mouthful of ice should dull the pain and make it possible to eat (if that becomes hard to do). If it doesn't abate, GO SEE A DOCTOR! Hacking yourself up is not a particularly good strategy (there is some mildly effective medication, but letting it runs it course with some tylenol and a bucket of ice cubes seems best. Also, a grain of salt for my google-fued advice. )

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-21, 01:05 AM
My sister gets these all the time for whatever reason. She's yet to figure out how to get rid of them, and from what I've read the docs don't particularly either.

golentan
2010-03-21, 01:28 AM
:smalleek: :smallsigh: Froogleyboy, I realize you've got a lot more dumped on your plate than most. But you show some really bad judgement. A lot.

Agreeing with the above posts. And in the future, the correct response to an unusual growth is almost never "Cut it off." Especially if it's inside your mouth, or in fact any other orifice you possess.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-21, 01:30 AM
Have you tried just telling the straightforward truth?

I... omg. I just got the most horrible awful idea for a homebrew now.

Froogleyboy
2010-03-21, 01:32 AM
Have you tried just telling the straightforward truth?

I... omg. I just got the most horrible awful idea for a homebrew now.
YAY! more of Tribble's homebrew! man, I love your stuff

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-21, 01:48 AM
YAY! more of Tribble's homebrew! man, I love your stuff
Deceit was bound behind ivory bars, and the lies boiled upon his tongue til he screamed for surcease. Howl though it did the horrible serpent of deceit was forever forbidden to spew its venom and wound another. It could bite none but itself. Rendered dizzy from the ingestion of his own misdirection, and the bile of his false blandishments bubbling from his lips, he knew the truth of what had befallen him. Do not speak lies to the angels, lest you choke on your sin...

Kallisti
2010-03-21, 01:50 AM
Who did you sell your soul to for your writing talent? I think I've been in correspondence with the wrong eldritch horrors...

Froogleyboy
2010-03-21, 01:54 AM
Deceit was bound behind ivory bars, and the lies boiled upon his tongue til he screamed for surcease. Howl though it did the horrible serpent of deceit was forever forbidden to spew its venom and wound another. It could bite none but itself. Rendered dizzy from the ingestion of his own misdirection, and the bile of his false blandishments bubbling from his lips, he knew the truth of what had befallen him. Do not speak lies to the angels, lest you choke on your sin...

whoa! so what is it gonna be, a curse?

golentan
2010-03-21, 01:57 AM
Who did you sell your soul to for your writing talent? I think I've been in correspondence with the wrong eldritch horrors...

I will offer a most reasonable deal for your sanity.

And don't claim you're already insane. If I've learned one thing from my years, it's that people can always lose more sanity.

Worira
2010-03-21, 01:57 AM
surcease

:smallfurious:

Kallisti
2010-03-21, 01:58 AM
I will offer a most reasonable deal for your sanity.

And don't claim you're already insane. If I've learned one thing from my years, it's that people can always lose more sanity.

Interested. Sanity is for the weak and the boring anyway.

The Vorpal Tribble
2010-03-21, 02:03 AM
whoa! so what is it gonna be, a curse?
Yup. Or disease/curse in one. Thinking of making an archon who can infect. Those affected cannot tell a lie, but whenever they try the condition worsens and worsens until they die.

:smallfurious:
Yeah, whatsit to ya?

Froogleyboy
2010-03-21, 02:10 AM
Interested. Sanity is for the weak and the boring anyway.

And with Insanity, comes wisdom. For one can only see the truth when he is no longer burdened with logic

Kallisti
2010-03-21, 02:16 AM
Sanity is a one-trick pony: all it can do is rational thinking.

Madness, on the other hand, can do all kinds of thinking, often simultaneously. The only downside is when--

Whoops! Here comes Mr. Jelly! I have a spoon, you know.

Thajocoth
2010-03-21, 02:22 AM
Illithids have tongues?

Slightly more seriously: Have you tried telling the right secret to the right person? Hopefully you don't need to do this per bump... That could take a while.

Slightly more seriously: Damnit Froogleyboy, we're posters, not doctors!

Slightly more seriously: See a doctor. Do it now. I'd be at the emergency room if I was in your predicament... Well, if I had health insurance I would be. As it stands I'd honestly try looking it up online and getting as much info on it myself as I can.

Sidestory: When I was in Middle School, a girl on the bus in Elementary School had scraped all the whitishness off the upper surface of her tongue. On purpose. She was quite proud of this. And yes, she admitted that this hurt. No, she did not see a doctor about it.

thubby
2010-03-21, 04:17 AM
they go away on their own in a couple of days. try to avoid biting your tongue, eating sour stuff, or grinding your teeth (get a mouthpiece if you do it in your sleep).

FoE
2010-03-21, 04:21 AM
According to Wikipedia, you should let them heal on their own unless they won't go away and are causing you tremendous pain.

Krade
2010-03-21, 11:56 AM
I think this (http://www.blairex.com/Zilactin-B.php) should help you a lot. I don't know what they're called, but it sounds like I get the same thing. Zilactin-b is by far the best thing I've found for it. It's kinda expensive, but one tube usually lasts me over a year. It also helps to do a little hydrogen peroxide (cut with water, of course) rinse to clean it of germs before you put the stuff on. It helps to heal it faster.

Hope this helps because I got nothing if it doesn't.

Edit: I also bite my tongue and cheeks while I'm eating embarassingly often. It works great for that too.