PDA

View Full Version : looking for a gnome tinkerer class

lyko555
2010-03-21, 03:43 AM
My group just switched dms (omg yay). The new Dm being a much more accepting non schitzo dm has allowed us a huge variety of materials to choose from, so i was helping a friend build her characer. She is very new to dnd and loved the concept of the gnomes and the tinkering. (shes very into steam punk) I was just wondering if there are any actual "tinker" type classes out there? The game setting is forgotten realms 3.5 but i dont think there will be any problems with splat books.
Ty in advance

Soonerdj
2010-03-21, 04:03 AM
My group just switched dms (omg yay). The new Dm being a much more accepting non schitzo dm has allowed us a huge variety of materials to choose from, so i was helping a friend build her characer. She is very new to dnd and loved the concept of the gnomes and the tinkering. (shes very into steam punk) I was just wondering if there are any actual "tinker" type classes out there? The game setting is forgotten realms 3.5 but i dont think there will be any problems with splat books.
Ty in advance

My group has just changed DM's recently, Yay! The new DM is much more open and willing to use a larger variety of materials so we got to character building right away. My friend and I, looking through the books, are wondering if there is a "tinker" type class for her to play. All books are available and the setting is Forgotten Realms. Thanks in advance.

/end grammar nazi

Well do you want a magical class or non magical class? Off the top of my head there is Artificer from Eberron Campaign Setting. They craft magic items and are kinda a difficult class to use so I can't recommend it unless you are willing to do a lot of reading. Magical Trickster and Trapsmith are both viable options if you want to be a specific tinker. Additionally you could also be an effigy master and make cool constructs.

lyko555
2010-03-21, 04:36 AM
Heh ty for grammar nazi'ing.

Just a gnomish engineer class is what she wants. The dm already allowed the flintlock pistols that gnomes from lantan are allowed to have. She just wants a nonmagic class where she can build items. I wasnt sure if there was a nondnd d20 game that had a tinker class?

Quirp
2010-03-21, 04:55 AM
In Magic of Faerun 3.0 is the Lantan Artificer: very gnomish, very tinkerish. I donīt know if it is printed in any 3.5 material, but here you go.

Edit: The WoW adaptation for D&D has a tinkerer class, too.

Thrice Dead Cat
2010-03-21, 04:59 AM
Personally, I would steer away from full-casters and Artificers for a newbie. As has already been mentioned, for an engineer type, Combat Trapsmith and Trapsmith (I may not be exact on both names, but the two are similar) are two prestige classes to look into. They do similar things, but one is more focused on short-term traps, the other on long term designs, and one of the two has a very small spell list for fun and profit.

EDIT: Give me a short bit and I'll get the sources, too.

EDIT2: Combat Trapsmith is in Complete Scoundrel and focuses on a small set of short-term traps. Trapsmith is in Dungeonscape, has a small list of useful spells and appears to be more focused on more long-term traps, but can still make short term ones in a pinch.

I also recommend starting as either a Factotum (also Dungeonscape) for Int synergy, eccentricity, and random abilities. Barring that, starting off as a rogue would also work well.

EDIT3: Just noticed the nonmagical bit. Factotum doesn't get much on the magic bit, so that's probably fine, and I can work up a recommended list of spells for the already tiny Trapsmith list, if need be. Said list will be in about 8 to 12 so hours, however.

Darrin
2010-03-21, 08:15 AM
Ty in advance

We just had another thread looking for the same thing a week or so ago. I think the best fit was the Tinker Gnome in the Dragonlance Campaign Setting. See this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=143093) for the details.

The White Knight
2010-03-21, 08:27 AM
/end grammar nazi
...their is...

I just felt the need to point out that I just LOL'd.

Vizzerdrix
2010-03-21, 08:49 AM
Lantan artificer in Magic of Faerun is your only option officially. Maybe the Techsmith from Faiths and Pantheons.

Now out of D&D, you got the WOW d20 tinker that was already mentioned. You have Dragonmech, and Iron Kingdoms. Both should have something that will fit your wants.

lyko555
2010-03-21, 12:31 PM
thanks I dont know why, but i had completely skiped over checking magic of faerun >.<

PinkysBrain
2010-03-21, 12:52 PM
Lantan Artificer is pretty meh.

How about Iron Kingdoms Liber Mechanika? It's a bit out of setting, but it's FR ... just say you are from some far away country and it should be all good.