PDA

View Full Version : 4E? dynamic weapon...

juggalotis
2010-03-21, 03:21 PM
Can the dynamic weapon turn into an implement? such as a rod? one of my players asked me and i didnt know so i have been letting it slide for now. he is a barbarian multiclassed into warlock. has been shifting his double axe to a rod and back.

Swordgleam
2010-03-21, 03:30 PM
I don't know if it's RAW, but I've been letting my multiclassed characters do similar things. It's hard enough multi'ing in two totally unrelated classes as it is - no reason to punish that character by making them constantly switch weapon/implement during fights.

Voice of Reason
2010-03-21, 03:52 PM
I believe with the new PHB III rules, you can use any weapon you're proficient with as an implement anyways, gaining the enhancement, critical hit, and properties of the weapon (not the proficiency though). I'd have to look it up to be certain, but it would make the argument irrelevant.

The wording on the power specifically states "weapon" though, and since most implements do not count as weapons, they cannot be transformed into from a dynamic weapon. Daggers, swords, and quarterstaves (if you look the other way while we bend the rules a bit) are all weapon/implements.

juggalotis
2010-03-21, 04:06 PM
interesting points. i will let it be known to him he may urn it into a rod as per my blind eye but at least once per session he must hit someone with the rod.

1of3
2010-03-21, 04:33 PM
I believe with the new PHB III rules, you can use any weapon you're proficient with as an implement anyways, gaining the enhancement, critical hit, and properties of the weapon (not the proficiency though). I'd have to look it up to be certain, but it would make the argument irrelevant.

No. The paragraph in question describes how to interprete certain class features (such as those of a swordmage, monk or assassin) that allow using weapons as implements.

Gralamin
2010-03-21, 04:59 PM
No. The paragraph in question describes how to interprete certain class features (such as those of a swordmage, monk or assassin) that allow using weapons as implements.

Yeah, as 1 of 3 said, thats not how it works.

Kurald Galain
2010-03-21, 05:48 PM
Can the dynamic weapon turn into an implement? such as a rod?
By RAW, no, although it could turn into a staff or into an implement dagger.

On the other hand, it doesn't strike me as overpowered to allow this for a barbalock.

Rockphed
2010-03-21, 06:02 PM
interesting points. i will let it be known to him he may urn it into a rod as per my blind eye but at least once per session he must hit someone with the rod.

I approve of this reading of the rules. Especially if gets him to smack party members because the session is ending and he hasn't hit anything with his rod yet.:smallamused:

Evard
2010-03-21, 06:35 PM
I approve of this reading of the rules. Especially if gets him to smack party members because the session is ending and he hasn't hit anything with his rod yet.:smallamused:

there should be more rules like that

NMBLNG
2010-03-21, 09:41 PM
I agree with the apparent majority.

It may not be permitted by the rules, but it's not really game-breaking either. I'd say let it slide.