PDA

View Full Version : A Shadowy Past [4e]

Vorpal word
2010-03-21, 04:03 PM
Alright, let's get this started...

You are all traveling together in western Gerion (the human kingdom), near the border with the elven nation of Voronzhon. To the east of you, no more than an hour's walk away, lies the Mistwood, a forest which spreads through both kingdoms and is well-known for its many dangerous inhabitants.

As you walk, you hear a twittering sound, and a sparrow flies over a roadside hedge and lands on Maekrix's shoulder. To your surprise, a human voice issues from its beak as it whispers to the dragonborn.

Outcast prince, I can help you. Cross the Mistwood to reach the town of Goldmeadow. Ask for old fine beer at the Purple Gnome inn.

After saying this, the sparrow suddenly realizes where it is takes off rapidly.

What do you do?

EDIT: OOC link: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8125022#post8125022

Kyrthain
2010-03-21, 04:13 PM
Maekrix turns to his companions.

"Well, it seems that we have allies in Goldmeadow. I would very much like to see who our mysterious contact is, but I am aware of how dangerous the Mistwood is. I will not force any of you into the woods, but I would certainly appreciate having allies when passing through. I will accept your decision if you do not wish to enter the forest, and will think no less of you. I leave the choice in your hands."

daa18
2010-03-22, 06:15 PM
Thorn stares at the forest for a moment before answering.

"Forest look nice. Old home much scarier."

He pauses and looks at his companions for a moment.

"Beside, you all blind like newborn kitten. Without me, you get ambush in hour."

demidracolich
2010-03-23, 06:34 PM
Caex turns to Thorn and says, " I agree, this forest does look quite pleasant."

Then he turns to Maekrix and says, " I go where you go, your highness."

Redshirt Army
2010-03-23, 06:54 PM
The eladrin (Named Anfergout, for the curious) stares at the bird as it leaves.

An odd messenger, but I trust your judgment, prince. I shall go.

I've finally showed up.

FARKING FINALLY

P.S. MEGA SESQUIPEDALIAN LOQUACIOUSNESS GO

P.P.S. Names a pun on "I forgot".

Vorpal word
2010-03-24, 08:11 PM
Alright, as Mihail has not yet posted I take it you all head into the forest.

DM dice rolls...

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]
[roll8]

Wow, that was a lot...

Vorpal word
2010-03-24, 08:28 PM
And more rolls...

[roll0]
[roll1]

You guys may not like this...

daa18
2010-03-24, 08:46 PM
As the group enters the forest Thorn stays about thirty feet behind the rest of the party, watching for monsters and keeping hidden.

Stealth check at minus 5 for moving at a normal pace. (penalty already applied)
[roll0]
Perception check to look out for enemies.
[roll1]

Vorpal word
2010-03-24, 09:26 PM
Map:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle.jpg (http://s924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/?action=view&current=CurrentBattle.jpg)

For all future purposes: Faral=1, Caex=2, Maekrix=3, Anfergout=4, Thorn=5

The dark green spots on the map are trees. Unfortunately, this is the best map maker I've got...

Thorn, you spot a bugbear (6) and a goblin (7) attempting to ambush the party. You have surprise, after that everybody roll initiative!

PS: Sorry if this was a little too fast, I'd like to keep combats quick and exciting for this game. Don't worry, you should handle these guys pretty easily...just let me know if you want to slow it down, this is sort of a test fight....with a twist.

Kyrthain
2010-03-25, 06:24 AM
Maekrix gives the rest of the group a quick glance

"Looks like our passage through the forests isn't going to be uneventful. Let's show these creatures that our weapons aren't just for show!"

ROLL INITIATIVE! [roll0]
BTW, I have a power that triggers when I roll initiative. Does it trigger now, or once the surprise round is over?

daa18
2010-03-25, 12:32 PM
In the blink of an eye, Thorn pulls out his bow and fires at the bugbear. Upon being fired the arrow makes a thunderous sound.

Using in game terms he draws his greatbow as a free action (due to his armor's ability) then uses the elemental spirits at will power (as a thunder power).
Initiative
[roll0]
Attack roll vs AC (With CA included)
[roll1]
Damage roll (Thunder damage)
[roll2]
The goblin also takes 4 thunder damage if I hit.

If I can take another action during the surprise round then I shift 1 square to behind the closest tree.

Vorpal word
2010-03-25, 12:51 PM
@Stephen: If you mean Combat Leader everyone just gets +2 to initiative. Otherwise I don't know what you're talking about, your sheet has a couple of powers which don't seem to actually be valid.

@Adrian: Sorry, only standard actions. You have a decent chance of winning initiative though.

Monster Initiative:

Bugbear: [roll0]
Goblin: [roll1]

daa18
2010-03-25, 12:53 PM
Would I be right to assume that i can still draw my bow before that though? It is a free action after all.

Vorpal word
2010-03-25, 01:04 PM
EDIT: The bugbear roars as the arrow thuds into his thigh, and the goblin reels back from the sound.

@Adrian: That was completely your fault for the decrease in roleplaying. 19 to the bugbear, 4 to the goblin I assume.

Pork Meister
2010-03-25, 01:06 PM
Faral seeing Maekrix' glance, readies his weapon.

"Well, my good Dragon-like friend, I couldn't have put it better my self."

Initiative: [roll0]

daa18
2010-03-25, 01:07 PM
I fired at the bugbear, not the goblin. The damage the goblin takes is just splash damage because it's next to the bugbear.

EDIT: Yes the damage split is correct

Kyrthain
2010-03-25, 03:00 PM
Maekrix glances at Caex.

"Get to the side so you've got a clear path to that bugbear!"

I use my Battlefront shift power to let Bill shift half his speed. It triggers when I roll initiative, which is now, not at my last post (I got confused and thought we all had surprise. It's an alternate class feature to the combat leader feature. I'll keep my terrible initiative result from before.

Redshirt Army
2010-03-25, 03:05 PM
In reaction to the loud explosion up ahead, Anfergout tenses and gets ready for battle.

Rolling initiative: [roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-03-25, 03:32 PM
Bill, roll initiative already!

@Stephen: Could you update your character sheet to list that power and send it to me, it currently says combat leader.

demidracolich
2010-03-25, 04:07 PM
Hearing Maekrix's shout, Caex rushes ahead and readies himself.

roll initiative [roll0]

demidracolich
2010-03-25, 04:14 PM
Caex shuffles until he has a clear line of sight to the bugbear, and gets ready to charge.
Also, shift 3 squares until at a straight line to the bugbear, to the left of Maekrix. Forgot to do it last post.

Vorpal word
2010-03-25, 08:33 PM
Initiative order:

Goblin
Caex
Thorn
Bugbear
Faral
Anfergout
Maekrix

The goblin screeches at the bugbear, "Attack them, you idiot!"

(delay until after the bugbear's turn).

Bill, you are cleared for charging.

demidracolich
2010-03-25, 08:38 PM
Caex rushes towards the bugbear with a loud warcry.
Charge and use howling strike.
[roll]1d20+11[roll/]
[roll]1d12+6[roll/] roller seems to not be working

demidracolich
2010-03-26, 04:51 PM
Caex rushes towards the bugbear with a loud war cry.
Charge and use howling strike.
1d12+6

Vorpal word
2010-03-27, 08:11 AM
Trying to do Bill's rolls:
Attack:[roll0]
Damage:[roll1]

Vorpal word
2010-03-27, 08:30 AM
OK Bill, you are lucky that you forgot two things: The +2 to attacks because of combat advantage against the surprised enemy, and the +1 from charging. Also, for the heck of it I'm assuming you're using Howling Strike as part of the charge, so I'll roll the extra damage:

[roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-03-27, 08:33 AM
Caex holds his sword high until the last second, then turns to cut into his foe's side.
(12 damage to the bugbear, don't forget those bonuses next time!)
It is now Thorn's turn.

daa18
2010-03-27, 11:05 AM
Hearing the goblin's order to the bugbear, he turns his attention to it. He fires off an arrow that buzzes like one thousand mosquitoes, before taking a quick step behind a nearby tree.

Thorn uses the stinging swarm power on the goblin.
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]
On a hit the goblin and every enemy adjacent to him take a -2 penalty to attack rolls

Vorpal word
2010-03-27, 11:40 AM
The arrow sticks into the goblin's arm, and as he quickly flips his sword to his other, functional hand, a swarm of flies erupts from the point of impact, distracting him and his ally.

Bugbear's Turn: The bugbear bellows as it sidesteps underneath a tree and swings its morningstar at Caex (shift 1 square to the left and attack vs AC).
Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Goblin's Turn: The goblin steps nimbly between the two dragonborn and slashes at Caex as well (shift 1 square to the top-left and attack vs AC).
Attack: [roll2]
Damage: [roll3]
On a miss, the bugbear uses the distraction to attack again (power).
Attack: [roll4]
Damage: [roll5]

It is now Faral's turn. Also...

[roll6]
[roll7]

Wow, that was a lot...

Vorpal word
2010-03-27, 11:50 AM
New Map:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-1.jpg

Caex dodges the first attack, but the goblin slips past his defenses and stabs its blade into his thigh for 6 damage.

(darnit, wasted the good rolls at the worst possible times...)

Pork Meister
2010-03-27, 03:15 PM
Faral, seeing that Caex is in trouble, moves towards the goblin, using the long length of his chains to hit the goblin, but stay well out of it's reach. Using the chain, he pulls the goblin to where he stands, then deftly shifts to side; closer to Caex.
Foot Work Lure: (At-Will) attack: [roll0] damage: [roll1] I also shift towards Caex, and slide the goblin towards the square I just left.

Redshirt Army
2010-03-27, 05:04 PM
Anfergout, feeling that his companions can handle the goblin, chooses to focus his attention on the bugbear. He quickly moves next to the bugbear, avoiding the goblin, before slashing at it with a blow that sounds of thunder.

I move to the right of Caex, mark the bugbear with Aegis of Ensnarement, and use Booming Blade.

Attack vs. AC: [roll0]

If I hit, [roll1]damage, and it takes 1d6 +5 damage damage if it moves.

Vorpal word
2010-03-27, 06:07 PM
Both Anfergout and Faral successfully pull off their attacks.

Map Update:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-2.jpg

Total Damage: 6 to Caex, 40 to the bugbear, 31 to the goblin. The bugbear is now bloodied (but only reached this status on Anfergout's attack, so any bonuses anyone had were not available earlier).

Maekrix, you are cleared for action...

Since this is a new page, I'll relist the combat numbers:

1=Faral
2=Caex
3=Maekrix
4=Anfergout
5=Thorn
6=Bugbear
7=Goblin

Remember, you CAN step off the map here because it's a forest. Just let me know if you do and I'll widen it or shift the view.

Kyrthain
2010-03-28, 06:55 AM
Maekrix maneuvers around the goblin, so that it's caught between him and Faral.
he glances over the goblin at Faral.

"Follow my lead"

I move up and left, so that I'm now flanking with Faral. I'm going to use my encounter power Hammer and Anvil. I've taken combat advantage into account with my attack bonus.
Attack:[roll0] This is vs reflex
Damage:[roll1] Also, if this hits, Faral can make a basic attack against the goblin. He gets my usual +1 to hit, and +4 to damage from the power.

Vorpal word
2010-03-28, 07:21 AM
Faral's Attack (sorry about rolling for you Mihail, again I'm focusing on speed):

[roll0]
[roll1]

Will sum up the round next post, a la Shkippy's Game. Only I total damage not hp.

Vorpal word
2010-03-28, 07:22 AM
My bad, screwed up.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Vorpal word
2010-03-28, 08:12 AM
Alright, round summary:

Caex successfully charges the bugbear, only to be cut off from the group by the two foes. Thorn snipes the goblin from a safe distance, distracting the foes. As the goblin successfully strikes Caex, Faral drives the creature away from his ally, where it is set upon by the elf and Maekrix. Meanwhile, Anfergout cripples the bugbear with his magic.

Damage: Caex 6, Goblin 60, Bugbear 40. Both enemies are bloodied.

Just as the fight seems to be tilting entirely in your favor, however, you hear a rustling and clicking noise. Suddenly two huge swarms of spiders drop from the trees, one in front of Thorn and one near the main group. A third creature, which appears to consist entirely of vines and creepers, drops onto the path ahead.

(They had a 31 on their earlier Stealth check, so they all get surprise. Told you there was a twist :smallamused:)

New Map:
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-3.jpg

Spider swarms: 8 & 9, Vine Horror: 10

Based on an earlier initiative roll, the spiders go first while the vine horror goes just before Thorn (third counting the spiders).

Attacks:
Swarm 1 vs Thorn: [roll0] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll1] and ongoing 5 Poison (save ends)

Swarm 2 vs Anfergout: [roll2] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll3] and ongoing 5 Poison (save ends)

Vine Horror: Burst (hits Faral, Caex, Anfergout, and the goblin) vs Fortitude
Goblin: [roll4]
Faral: [roll5]
Caex: [roll6]
Anfergout: [roll7]

Damage: [roll8]
Everyone has ongoing 5 acid and blinded (save ends both)

Oh, and swarms get another attack because they won initiative earlier.

Swarm 1 vs Thorn: [roll9] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll10] and ongoing 5 Poison (save ends)

Swarm 2 vs Anfergout: [roll11] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll12] and ongoing 5 Poison (save ends)

Any of you who start adjacent to a swarm give it another attack, and are slowed until you make your save (just letting you know).

Caex, your turn.

That's it. Do you guys hate me? :smalltongue:

(this was a random encounter. Blame the dice, not me :smallamused:.)

Redshirt Army
2010-03-28, 02:00 PM
Anfergot manages to bring up a protective field between himself and the swarming arachnids before being overwhelmed by the vine horror, unable to further defend himself.

I use Channeling Shield on the second swarms first attack against me. It still hits, and I take the ongoing damage, but I take 7 less damage from it's attack.

demidracolich
2010-03-28, 06:19 PM
Seeing Anfergout needs help, Caex shifts to get a clear hit at the spider swarm and strikes at it with the fury of the ancient beserkers.
Use ancient beserkers rage attack:[roll0] damage:[roll1] halve the damage because it is not an area attack.

demidracolich
2010-03-28, 07:24 PM
After striking at the swarm, Caex proceeds to breathe lightning on the swarm.
Dragon nreath, lightning, attack:[roll0] vs reflex, damage:
[roll1] vulnerablility not included.

Vorpal word
2010-03-28, 08:05 PM
Nice, 19 + 6 = 25 damage to Swarm 2 (9). Since the vine horror isn't attacking Caex if there was something you wanted to use the move action for this shouldn't affect it. So I'll just go ahead with the horror's turn:

The horror lifts its claw of vines and mutters a rustling incantation. An orb of electricity flies out of the claw, aimed at Maekrix.

Damage: [roll1], lightning

daa18
2010-03-28, 08:43 PM
Thorn roars in pain and anger from the spider's bites, unleashing a pulse of energy to push away the spiders and slow their movement. He takes advantage of the distance between them retreat slightly, take a shot which glistens silver and continue retreating.

Thorn uses the encaging spirits power to push the spiders one square and slow them until the end of my next turn. It's a minor action and doesn't require an attack roll. After that he moves 2 squares and uses Escaping Shot.
Attack roll (vs will)
[roll0]
Damage roll (psychic damage)
[roll1]
On a hit the swarm is dazed.
I get to shift 4 squares whether I hit or miss.
All my movement is straight north (assuming that the top of the map is north) and I pushed the spider 1 square south-east.

daa18
2010-03-28, 08:45 PM
Forgot to roll the saving throw vs the poison damage and the slowed condition.

Poison saving throw
[roll0]

Slowed condition saving throw
[roll1]

Vorpal word
2010-03-29, 12:06 PM
Swarm's free attack (at start of Thorn's turn):

Attack: [roll0]vs Reflex

(For your sake I'll say the saves are made after this attack, so if you save after being hit you're alright. Also I'm too lazy to change the map and I'm feeling nice so I'll just say the swarm picks a slower target and let you snipe from off the map. The map maker makes you draw the map from scratch when you change parameters, so I'd rather make one map per encounter.)

Anyway, now the goblin & bugbear get to act:

(bugbear delays until after goblin's turn.)

(yeah I know this is getting annoying.)

The goblin, deciding to get out of a scary-looking melee, ducks and dodges slowly eastward, planning to run past the vine horror as soon as it can. On its way it attempts to stab Maekrix, hoping to distract the enemy leaders.

(shift 1 square east and attack Maekrix.)

Attack: [roll2], Damage: [roll3]

The bugbear, seeing its flanking chance, carefully readies its attack before springing at Faral.

(use Predatory Eye power, shift 1 square north and Skullthump Faral.)

Attack: [roll4] vs Fortitude
Damage: [roll5]+[roll6]
On a hit Faral is dazed (save ends) and knocked prone.

New Map:
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-4.jpg

Faral's turn, incidentally did I hit you earlier (area attack vs Fortitude)?

Vorpal word
2010-03-29, 12:08 PM
Well, the gobs are done...I've just used up their entire arsenal of encounter powers... :smallfrown:

Redshirt Army
2010-03-29, 02:59 PM
Ya know, Stephen was planning on trying to convince them to help us against the spiders and vine horror...

daa18
2010-03-29, 03:23 PM
Oxman, the saves are made at the end of the turn so it's not like you made any changes when you said that the saves came after the attack. Also the swarm has only a single action on it's next turn (dazed) and is slowed so that it can only move 2 squares.
Just for future reference.

Vorpal word
2010-03-29, 05:56 PM
Oh right, it's the RECHARGE roll that goes at the beginning...thanks again :P

daa18
2010-03-29, 06:23 PM
No prob. I know the 4e rules pretty well so just ask if there's anything that you're unsure about.

Pork Meister
2010-03-29, 08:37 PM
Faral dances away from the bugbear's attack, then falls into a defensive stance waiting until Maekrix makes his move.
delay until after Maekrix goes.

Vorpal word
2010-03-30, 01:49 PM
Spider attack at start of Faral's turn:
Attack: [roll0] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll1] and ongoing 5 poison
Also, you are slowed.

Redshirt Army
2010-04-01, 07:43 AM
Anfergout, blinded and in pain from the acid and poison seeping into his wounds, sends out a pulse of force, not truly expecting it to connect, before teleporting to a mildly safer position, and focusing his attention on the vine horror.

I use Sword Burst (an close burst which only targets enemies, so it should be effective against the swarm, on the off chance I hit it), against the bugbear and spider swarm.

I then Fey Step (5 square north-east) away from the melee, and use Aegis of Ensnarement on the Vine Horror. (Auto Hitting burst, so no effect from blindness.)

Attack [roll0] vs. Reflex, no penalty from blindness because it's not a ranged or area attack.

Ongoing damage: [roll1] Acid Damage.
Ongoing damage: [roll2] Poison Damage.

Damage vs. Swarm (If I hit) [roll3] force damage.
Damage vs. Bugbear (If I hit) [roll4] force damage.

Saving Throws:
Vs. Acid and Blindness [roll5]
Vs. Poison [roll6]

Kyrthain
2010-04-01, 02:59 PM
Maekrix, after recently dodging an orb of lightning, he turns to face the vine creature. As he strides towards it, he calls out:

"Thorn! Ready your bow! When I strike the monster, take your shot!"

He then takes a swing at the horror:
I use Leader's Instinct:
If it hits, Thorn can make a basic attack at the horror with a +3 to hit (This includes my feat)

Vorpal word
2010-04-01, 03:04 PM
@Sebastian: The spiders scatter away from Anfergout's attack, but the bugbear is not so quick, and your blade slices into its side, causing it obvious pain.

(Umm, ongoing damage is 5 per round, not 1d6. So 10 damage.)

@Stephen: Your blade cleanly chops off one of the vine horror's hands, and the rest of its vines stretch and twist to replace the limb. Inspired by the blow, Thorn takes aim at the horror and fires.

(Nice one, you can roll the attack Adrian.)

Pork Meister
2010-04-01, 05:57 PM
Faral goes into a spinning dance of death, lashing out with his spiked chain at the bugbear, then moving over a step to east, continuing towards the swarm of spiders, and then finally spinning around and striking the goblin.
Add +3 if I have combat advantage against the target (to damage), add +2 if the target is bloodied (to damage). Tempest Dance (Level 1 Daily);
Attacks: Against bugbear [roll0], against goblin [roll1], against spider swarm [roll2].
Damage: Against Bugbear [roll3], against Goblin [roll4], against Spider Swarm [roll5].
(Remember, I delayed before)

Vorpal word
2010-04-01, 08:40 PM
Thorn's attack (arbitrarily giving the monster cover because of all the trees in between)

Attack:[roll0]vs AC

Vorpal word
2010-04-01, 08:45 PM
Goblin's attack of oppurtunity on Maekrix's move (does not change movement)

Vorpal word
2010-04-01, 09:16 PM
Goblin power (since Faral missed):
Goblin shifts 1 square northeast, Bugbear shifts 1 square west.

Monster Summary:

Bugbear: 63 damage, bloodied
Goblin: 60 damage, bloodied
Swarm 1: 7 damage, dazed, slowed.
Swarm 2: 25 damage
Vine Horror: 19, marked by Aegis of Ensnarement

New map:
http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-5.jpg

Monster Actions:

Swarm 1: Move towards the middle of the fight (up to 2 squares, don't worry about AOO)

Swarm 2: Attack nearest opponent, try to stay next to at least 2.
Attack:[roll0] vs Reflex, Damage:[roll1] and ongoing 5 poison.

Vine Horror: Use a power on the nearest opponent (range 5):
Recharge roll for acid power: [roll2]
Attack:[roll3] vs Reflex, Damage:[roll4] and push 5 squares (toward the nearest swarm)

Bugbear & Goblin: RUN AWAY (double move, avoid AOO, move away from the battle and don't waste time attacking unless the foe is next to them).

Remember, anyone who starts next to a swarm gives it a free attack (just roll with the same bonuses I have listed, it's all they can do pretty much) and is slowed (separate saves for slow and poison). Also, if anything misses the goblin it (and the bugbear if they have line of sight to each other) shifts 1 square. I leave it to you guys to summarize your damage/conditions.

daa18
2010-04-01, 09:54 PM
*Sigh* :smallsigh: Oxman, I'm going to assume that you completely forgot that the player is supposed to make their own attack rolls, and that I can, and was planning to use, stinging swarm on the horror (it can be used as a ranged basic attack), and that if you count the squares that I moved and look at the trees (on the map at least) I have a straight unobstructed line to the horror.

Also I'm at 11 health left and am still taking ongoing poison damage.

Kyrthain
2010-04-04, 02:50 PM
(Horror goes first, right?)

As the horror drops its guard to begin another incantation, Maekrix takes the opportunity to strike at it

OPPORTUNITY ATTACK!

demidracolich
2010-04-04, 06:57 PM
Furious, Caex strikes at the swarm preparing for further strikes of fury.
use escalating violence encounter power, [roll0] if hits , I get +2 to hit and damage against it and Mihail gets a +3 damage bonus all until the end of my turn

demidracolich
2010-04-04, 06:59 PM
Sorry, forgot to include attack roll.
1d20+13 and add 3 damage to the damage roll and already added combat advantage from ancient beserkers rage.

demidracolich
2010-04-04, 07:00 PM
Sorry again
[spoiler}[roll0] and add 3 damage to the damage roll and already added combat advantage from ancient beserkers rage.[spoiler]

Vorpal word
2010-04-04, 09:03 PM
@Stephen: This thing's got, y'know, COMMON SENSE? So it 5-foot steps before using the power (shoulda been pretty obvious, good try though). You're the target, incidentally... (did not look at attack results when posting this)

@Adrian: My apologies, your rolls override mine. I just thought you forgot about it since you had about a day to post it. My bad.

@Bill: The swarm targets you, since you kinda did 25 damage to it earlier.

@All: So you're telling me that all that happened in 3 days was a single attack by Caex? Wow...

daa18
2010-04-04, 09:34 PM
Gonna make my rolls for the (granted ) attack on the horror then
[roll0]
[roll1]

daa18
2010-04-04, 09:38 PM
:smallsigh:Well, after all that complaining I did, I really deserve this.

Now for my turn.
Thorn, seeing himself covered in his own blood, lets out a roar, his fangs elongate, claws sharpen, and his body becomes matted in black fur. He runs further away from the swarm takes another shot at the horror. After this attack he shouts out,"Maekrix, am hurt badly! Need help!".

Thorn uses razorclaw shifting. He then moves 8 squares (or as close to that as possible) to the east, to a space adjacent to a tree with a clear line to the horror. He then uses stinging swarm on the horror.
Attack roll
1d20+9
Damage roll
1d12+7
At the end of his turn
Saving throw vs poison
1d20+0

EDIT: On a hit the vine horror takes a -2 to all attacks and an additional -2 on ranged/area attacks (-4 total) until the end of my next turn.

daa18
2010-04-05, 05:22 PM
Let's try the rolls again.
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]
Saving throw
[roll2]

Redshirt Army
2010-04-06, 06:53 PM
Was that the vine horror attacking? :smallconfused:
Also, wasn't it kinda marked?

Vorpal word
2010-04-06, 10:16 PM
Was that the vine horror attacking? :smallconfused:
Also, wasn't it kinda marked?

Yes and yes, so you can warp in after it tries to hit Maekrix. Now could the remaining three players finally post their turns so we can get on with this?
:smallannoyed:

Vorpal word
2010-04-11, 07:40 AM
Anfergout spends his turn staring blankly into space and thinking about pie.

Save against poison: [roll0]

(Sebastian you've had a week to post so I'm just gonna take your turn away :smallfurious:. Do it again and you'll incur the Wrath of the DM [everything targets only you, your powers' special effects don't work, etc :smallamused:])

It is now Maekrix's turn, then Faral's, and after that I will update the map.

Kyrthain
2010-04-11, 08:00 AM
Its focus drawn by Anfergout, the vine horror's attack just barely misses Maekrix. As he steps toward it, he calls out to Anfergout.

"Come on silnesa! Let's finish this thing!"

He then calls to Thorn

"Hold strong! I'm sure you've been in tougher spots than this! We will make it through!

Unfortunately, none of you guys are adjacent to me, so I can't really benefit from any of my powers. I'm going to heal Thorn (I assume he's within 5)
I use inspiring word on thorn, shift towards the vine horror, and melee basic attack.

Vorpal word
2010-04-11, 03:25 PM
Its focus drawn by Anfergout, the vine horror's attack just barely misses Maekrix. As he steps toward it, he calls out to Anfergout.

"Come on silnesa! Let's finish this thing!"

He then calls to Thorn

"Hold strong! I'm sure you've been in tougher spots than this! We will make it through!

Unfortunately, none of you guys are adjacent to me, so I can't really benefit from any of my powers. I'm going to heal Thorn (I assume he's within 5)
I use inspiring word on thorn, shift towards the vine horror, and melee basic attack.

Correction: Though Anfergout skipped his turn, he still warped next to the horror and was adjacent to you (and gave you combat advantage). Feel free to replay your turn, if you want to keep your old turn I'm pretty sure it's a hit.

daa18
2010-04-11, 05:45 PM
I spend my healing surge due to Maekrix's inspiring word.
Rolling for extra d6 of healing. The bonus to the roll is my healing surge value so that all the healing is in one place.
[roll0]

Kyrthain
2010-04-11, 06:42 PM
Can I just switch my melee basic to wolf pack tactics? All that would do is let him shift 1 square.

Vorpal word
2010-04-11, 07:56 PM
Not a problem. Heck, I was expecting at least an attack for Anfergout, but oh well...

(Faral's turn, then I will post the end-of-round update)

Kyrthain
2010-04-12, 06:30 AM
I've got an encounter that can do that, but it would push the vine horror, and I want to stay close.

Redshirt Army
2010-04-12, 09:06 PM
Ham Shift To Flank

Vorpal word
2010-04-15, 07:45 PM
@Sebastian: I have no idea what that was supposed to mean, so I'll just assume you were diagonally southeast of Maekrix (which lets you use Wolf Pack Tactics to flank after the attack).

@Mihail: Faral is about to continue his rampage when his pants suddenly fall down. Completely distracted, he spends his actions pulling them back up.

:smallamused:

Round summary in next post or two...

Kyrthain
2010-04-15, 08:02 PM
Seeing that Faral is similarly inactive, Maekrix launches into a stream of draconic cursing

wux shishin tosia malaivi aesthyri, wux shilta itrewic douta vor vdri svadrav hesi irlymi re loex! jaka pok vaerir zahae hefoc xsioul lup'ri vur slathalin!

Vorpal word
2010-04-15, 08:17 PM
Monster Damage So Far:

Bugbear: 63 damage, bloodied, escaped.
Goblin: 60 damage, bloodied, escaped.
Swarm 1: 7 damage, dazed.
Swarm 2: 36 damage, bloodied.
Vine Horror: 36 damage, bloodied.

New Map:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-6.jpg

Initiative:

Vine Horror
Caex
Bloodweb Spider Swarms
Thorn
Anfergout
Maekrix
Faral

The goblin and bugbear have left the battle.

Too tired to do anything else tonight, will take enemy turns tomorrow.

daa18
2010-04-15, 08:53 PM
Just an FYI, the swarm is no longer dazed and the vine horror is taking a minus 2 penalty to all attacks and a further -2 to ranged attacks.

demidracolich
2010-04-17, 02:36 PM
Caex strikes at the swarm once again, his attack leaving a crack in the swarm's defenses.
use splitbone strike [roll0] damage: [roll1] and it takes a -3 penalty to ac until the end of my next turn.

Vorpal word
2010-04-18, 01:02 PM
Alright, so that means in total Swarm 2 has now taken 44 damage, is bloodied, and has a -3 to AC until the end of Caex's next turn. Now for the enemy actions:

(Since Caex is the only one faster than the swarms, I'll just post everything)

Vine Horror: Recharge attempt: [roll0]
The horror backs away from its foes and strikes at the vulnerable Anfergout, hoping to take him out quickly (5-foot step southeast and claw the eladrin)
Attack: [roll1] vs AC, Damage: [roll2]

Swarms: The spiders crawl over Faral, biting at him as he pulls his pants up.
(Both attack Faral, using their flanking position to the maximum).
Swarm 1 Attack: [roll3] vs Reflex, Damage: [roll4]
Swarm 2 Attack: [roll5] vs Reflex, Damage: [roll6]
And of course, both attacks add 5 poison damage until the save.

It is now Thorn's turn. Let the off-the-map sniping continue!

daa18
2010-04-18, 05:44 PM
Seeing that the horror is tied up with his allies, Thorn decides to change target to the spider swarm. He fire's an arrow which glows blindingly as it flies.

Thorn uses his flickering arrow encounter power on the more damaged spider swarm.
Attack Roll (vs. AC)

Damage Roll
[roll]1d12+1d6+7
On a hit, the swarm and every enemy within 6 squares of it take a -2 penalty on attack rolls. The spider swarm also loses any benefits from cover, concealment, and total concealment. Both effects are until the end of my next turn.

daa18
2010-04-18, 05:54 PM
Seeing his shot miss (because we all know that it's going to with that roll), Thorn's eyes flash and the arrow changes direction in mid air.

Thorn uses inevitable shot to use biting swarm on the horror.
Attack roll (with CA because of Anfergout's aegis of ensnarement)
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]
On a hit the penalties I was already giving it last until the end of my next turn.

Redshirt Army
2010-04-19, 06:20 PM
Anfergout recovers from his sudden Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and slashes violently at the swarm.

Booming Blade at the Horror.

Attack: [roll0] vs. AC

Kyrthain
2010-04-20, 02:29 PM
Seeing that Anfergout is no longer sitting around like an idiot, Maekrix shouts out encouragement, and continues to attack the horror
"See, you can actually do something when you bother to!"

WOLF PACK TACTICS AGAIN! (and I shift to flank, if I'm not already in such a position)

Pork Meister
2010-04-23, 03:20 PM
Faral simply makes two strikes against the nearest spider swarm.
Dual Strike (At-Will): Attack 1: [roll0], Damage [roll1]; Attack 2: [roll2], Damage [roll3]
And the target is marked. (If the map is accurate, I can use my reach to hit the swarm from here, else; assume I moved so that my reach can hit it.)

demidracolich
2010-04-23, 03:59 PM
Faral strikes at the swarm again with a bloody howl.
use howling strike [roll0] damage: [roll1]
+[roll2] factored in effects of rage and last power

demidracolich
2010-04-23, 04:38 PM
What the, mihail must have mind controlled me into putting the wrong name!:smalleek:
Though wait a minute, mabye that gave me the good damage roll. Whatever.
P.S. I'll get you Mihail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vorpal word
2010-04-23, 04:48 PM
(Too lazy to make a new map right now, just disregard the horror for the next round because nothing else changed).

The spiders scurry away from Faral's stabbing attacks easily, but Caex proves more deadly as he crushes them with the flat of his blade.

(Even with the +3 bonus Faral still missed, but Caex deals 13 damage, which should put the swarm at 49 damage total).

On the other end of the battlefield, the organizer of this second ambush is finally defeated. As Thorn's curving arrow distracted it and Anfergout hews an arm off with his sword, Maekrix came in for a finishing blow, cleanly slicing it in half. The vines lie lifeless on the ground.

(It's dead. That is all).

Though reduced in number by Caex's quick thinking, the spiders continue to harass Faral, biting at his legs.

Attacks: [roll0], [roll1] vs Reflex.
Damage: [roll2], [roll3], and any hits = poison.

daa18
2010-04-23, 08:24 PM
Thorn, seeing how badly wounded Faral is, does his best to hinder and destroy the damaged swarm.

He shouts "Get back! Heal wound before continue fight!"

Thorn moves to a square where their are no trees granting the swarm cover, and uses biting swarm on the damaged swarm.
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]

daa18
2010-04-23, 08:29 PM
Mihail, you've taken 44 points of damage and are still taking ongoing poison damage. Next turn use your second wind and retreat a bit or you're probably going to die.

P.S. The swarm is taking -2 on attack rolls like everything else that I hit with biting swarm. If the spider swarms are adjacent they both take the penalty.

P.P.S The swarm should have taken 57 damage as of bill's turn, post #83 says that the swarm had taken 44 damage before bill's turn.

P.P.P.S Bill, I know you wanted me to attack the other swarm, but this one needs to die for sure this turn, otherwise Mihail might get eaten.

demidracolich
2010-04-23, 08:47 PM
Adrian, the spider swarm is going to die when Stephen gives me a basic attack which is before Mihail`s turn so he is not a high risk of dying currently. I will do minimum 9 damage bringing the total to 66.
Stephen should move, give me a basic attack, and heal Mihail with his minor action on his turn.

daa18
2010-04-24, 12:01 PM
Bill, I'm pretty sure the swarm is a soldier, meaning it has a lot of health and AC. This means that if you don't get good attack rolls (and damage rolls) snayl is in a bad position, since they have an aura that gives them free attacks against anyone starting their turn adjacent to them. Also, roar of triumph is useful, but not worth the rest of us ignoring the swarm for when the roar is only going to affect one enemy.

Also bill, any damage with a melee or ranged attack is halved on swarms, so unless your basic attacks do 18+ damage minimum, you're not going to be doing nearly as much damage as you think.

demidracolich
2010-04-24, 12:09 PM
Anyway, if Daniel drops it to just above 64 like 65 I will be guaranteed to kill it and you all get benefits.

demidracolich
2010-04-24, 12:10 PM
The original had 80hp.

daa18
2010-04-24, 12:29 PM
Well, if it's health gets dropped then you can kill it for sure after my shot. If it hadn't been dropped, it's unlikely that you would have been the one to kill it though.

demidracolich
2010-04-24, 12:40 PM
Look in the OOC, he asked us if we agreed to drop it.

Vorpal word
2010-04-24, 01:35 PM
About the OOC, could we please keep the chatter down to that section?

Also, just realized I forgot the swarms' free attacks on Faral, but as that would have likely killed him I'll leave it as is.

Redshirt Army
2010-04-27, 06:27 PM
Anfergout rushes towards Faral, before descending upon the spider swarm with a flurry of steel strikes.

Move closer to Faral, use Sword Burst on the more damaged spider swarm, use my Aegis on the less damaged one.

Attack: [roll0] vs. Reflex

Save: [roll2]

demidracolich
2010-04-27, 07:29 PM
I'm not sure what Daniel's final decision was but the more damaged one might be dead.

This means Sebastian's attack is instead on the other swarm.

Vorpal word
2010-04-27, 09:47 PM
Assaulted from so many fronts, one swarm of spiders disperses, leaving many dead bugs on the ground; however, the other one stays together.

(Yup, dead alright. 60 hp is my bid for this decision, also I'll switch those things of the random encounter list cause you guys just can't fight them).

Kyrthain
2010-04-29, 02:41 PM
Maekrix turns from the corpse of the horror and rushes towards the remaining swarm, all the while calling out encouragement to the rest of the party.

"Faral! You aren't beat yet! I'd be a sorry leader if I let one of my men go down to some bugs!"

He then turns to Thorn:

"Now, let's see some more of those arrows!"

I move my speed towards the swarm, and use inspiring word on Faral. He can spend a healing surge, and gains [roll0] extra hp. I then use direct the strike on Thorn. He can make a basic attack. Don't forget the +1 I grant.

daa18
2010-04-29, 03:08 PM
Motivated by Maekrix's words, Thorn continues his buzzing arrow barrage.

Attack roll (stinging swarm as usual)
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]

Swarm takes -2 on attack rolls if I hit.

demidracolich
2010-04-30, 04:50 PM
Caex moves side ways for a straight path and charges towards the other swarm.
move left, charge and use howling strike [roll0] damage: [roll1]+[roll2], factored in +1 from charge and when the spider swarm get the attack on Mihail's turn and Sebastian marked it so it now grants combat advantage. Also saving throw against slow (forgot to make this for the past three rounds) [roll3]

demidracolich
2010-04-30, 04:54 PM
Seeing his attack kill many spiders, Caex follows through with another swing.
rampage class feature [roll0] damage: [roll1] total damage 36 from howling strike not including rampage. Factored in combat advantage from Sebastian's mark.

demidracolich
2010-04-30, 05:22 PM
Forgot to roll extra critical hit damage dice from weapon.
[roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-04-30, 05:48 PM
Uh, we've all forgotten the victim of the spider attacks...it's actually Faral's turn currently. Bill, you can keep that turn for after Faral's turn (and a map update) or you could change it (but then you gotta change everything).

Mihail, you have two days until you trigger the Wrath of the Dungeon Master.

EDIT: Never mind, I looked at this thread first so that's what confused me.

demidracolich
2010-04-30, 07:54 PM
As I said in the OOC, my turn doesn't conflict with mihail's so I just decided to post.

demidracolich
2010-05-03, 08:39 PM
Posting Mihail's turn for him since Daniel hasn't. As he said, Faral shifts and spends his second wind. Also saving throw against slow [roll0] and against posion (still taking ongoing damage the last time I checked) [roll1].

Vorpal word
2010-05-05, 07:09 AM
One round summary, coming right up!

The spiders bite at Faral yet again, and come close to dropping him with their poison and bites.

From behind the cover of the trees, Thorn launches an arrow at the smaller swarm. A bunch of hornets erupts from the point of impact, and promptly attacks the spider swarm in an epic battle within 1 foot of the ground. With their aerial advantage, the hornets prove the stronger and quickly disperse the other swarm, disappearing into the woods to chase after them.

Anfergout quickly darts in towards the other swarm, laying about with his blade and restraining it with magic.

As Faral staggers in pain from the spider bites, Maekrix follows Anfergout towards the battle. He helps ease his comrade's pain and directs Thorn to make another successful shot, a new swarm battle beginning around the arrow.

Faral, knowing that he is mostly powerless against this type of enemy, steps away and uses the moment to catch his breath.

So far, only 28 damage to the remaining swarm, but that will be at least doubled next turn thanks to Caex...good job guys!

Map coming later today.

demidracolich
2010-05-05, 09:21 PM
You mean 26 because Sebastian dealt 10plus vulnerable 10 so its 20 and Adrain dealt 12 which halved is 6 for a total of 26.

Vorpal word
2010-05-05, 10:04 PM
New Map:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-7.jpg

Note that the map is from the end of last round (before Caex acts).

As for the spider action...

With only Anfergout remaining in their reach, the spiders scuttle towards him.
Attack: [roll0] vs Reflex
Damage: [roll1] and Ongoing 5 Poison.

Thorn's turn now, by the way I'm not deliberately avoiding the Aegis; remember that the round is actually simultaneous so they can't see Caex coming and would naturally focus on the only adjacent enemy.

daa18
2010-05-06, 02:39 PM
Thorn continues to attack the swarm with his hornet arrows.

Thorn uses stinging swarm again
Attack Roll
[roll0]
Damage Roll
[roll1]

P.S. I'm not going to say that stinging swarm gives them a penalty anymore, because you should be able to remember by now since I use it nearly every round.

Redshirt Army
2010-05-08, 03:15 PM
Anfergout, determined to make up for his earlier lapse of concentration, slashes once more at the mass of spiders.

Sword Burst again.
Damage: [roll1] I've included the swarms vulnerability.

Kyrthain
2010-05-08, 03:31 PM
As the second swarm disperses, Maekrix sheathes his sword and looks around to his companions.

"Good work out there. This was our first fight together, and I'm glad to see we've all made it out alive. Faral, Thorn, those monsters scratched you guys up, but you kept fighting. It's good to see that you're men who can persevere."
He then looks at Caex:
"Good work against those spiders, you were a devastating force out there, and I'm glad to see that I know how to find strong warriors."
He calls out to Thorn:
"You kept that vine creature distracted, and you made sure your arrows got where we needed them. Keep up the good work, and watch out for any more ambushes."
He turns to Anfergout and Faral:
"You two did your part in keeping the monsters at bay, and you did some damage while you were at it. Next time we get in a battle though, be sure to keep focused. I don't want the man watching my back to get distracted and stop doing his job. Now, let's get moving. We've just experienced for ourselves that this forest is dangerous, so let's not stay in it any longer than we have to."

demidracolich
2010-05-08, 06:21 PM
Caex roars loudly after seeing the spiders scatter.
Yay, roaring for fun!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

daa18
2010-05-09, 02:47 PM
Thorn collects his arrows and rejoins the group. He fires another hornet arrow at the fleeing spiders to make certain of their demise.

Ensorceled
2010-05-11, 03:53 PM
You hear a lute being played, first softly but after the
first few bars, more firmly. The tune is familiar and the playing
is good, not the best you've heard, but clearly a musician of
no mean talent.

The playing gets closer and a half-elf emerges from the woods,
dressed in city clothing of fine make. He is handsome, in a
roguish way, and there is something about his manner that draws
your attention. It would be easy to imagine him playing thus
at court or at nobleman's wedding. Still, he seems at ease in Mistwood.

He begins to sing ...

Harken now and here my tale,
A tale of fate crossed royalty,
Who started in Arkhosia,
as a upset deportee.
The hero was a mighty dragonborn,
His party brave and sure,
The five of them entered Mistwood one day
for a anti-theo tour.

The forest started off pretty rough,
the tiny crew was almost lost,
If not for their courage in that first battle,
the quest would be lost.
The quest would be lost.

Now the adventurers continue on their quest,
they mean to see it through,
With Maekrix
And a shifter too,
The Eladrin,
and elf or two
a finally a dragon born barbarian
This is our com-pa-ny!

So this is the tale of our company,
They're in this for a long, long time,
They'll have to make the best of things,
It's an uphill climb,

The tactics in first encounter,
Was something to despise,
Standing around with your thumb up arse,
Is not something to reprise,

So just you stick around my friends,
My song is just begun,
There will be more verse I hope,
Assuming I can tag along,

The half elf strums the lute a few more times and pauses,
expecting some kind of response. A brief flash of embarrassment crosses
his face and he begins speaking.

Ermm, yes. Hail and well met friends, I am Geide Mac Congal
of the Minstrel Clan Mac Congal. I couldn't help but overhear
the noise you were making and was on my way to provide aid.
Alas, I have missed the excitement.

Ah well, no bother. I think I would like to accompany you anyhow.

I know, I know. What could a group of fine warriors such as yourself
need from such as I. Well ... I am a passable swordsman, a good companion
on the road, I pull my weight at camp, I have traveled far and can tell
good inn from bad. And, I'm willing to wager, I know more stories than all
of you put together, which, if you've ever spent 2 weeks snowed in a
mountain inn surrounded by dwarves, you'll know how valuable that is.

He stops abruptly.

What say you, may I accompany you on this quest of yours and put the
whole adventure to song for future generations?

Kyrthain
2010-05-11, 04:59 PM
Maekrix eyes the bard somewhat warily

"If you wish to help, I shall be glad to accept any aid you offer. However, I am unsure of the use of a minstrel in our task."

Ensorceled
2010-05-11, 07:35 PM
Geide laughs

I agree, a minstrel would be quite useless. I am, however, no mere minstrel. I am, as I said a passable swordsman.

Geide spins on one foot drawing his sword and instantly his fine cloths turn into a suit of mail, the fine links of clearly high craftsmanship glittering. He presents a long sword of a least masterwork in the sixte.

I have other abilities.

Geide uses encounter power Lightning Strike
Geide speaks a word of power and flicks his sword at a near by bush, lightning leaps from the sword exploding it in a burst of leaves, the lightning leaps to another bush setting it aflame.

My skills in combat are, frankly, irrelevant. You have fine warriors already at your side.

Geide uses encounter power Words of Friendship, Diplomancy is now +19 ...
At this the bard seems to become taller, almost regal, seemingly radiating confidence and trust, his voice earnest and compelling, his argument clear, reasonable and irrefutable ...

What you are attempting will require more than strength of arms. You will need to seek out allies and win them to your cause, for it is just but the nobles will be fearful. You will need to win the hearts of this people for their need will be great but so will their confusion.

Geide is suddenly Geide again, his voice normal. His chainmail has changed into woodland greens, muted and the same colour and hues as the Mistwood underbrush.

This is where I truly can help you.

Kyrthain
2010-05-11, 07:51 PM
The wariness gone from his eyes, Maekrix responds

"I see that you are more than you appear. I am glad, then, that your goals lie in the same direction as ours. Unless any of my companions object, I would be glad to take you along with us."

daa18
2010-05-12, 07:22 PM
Thorns eyes narrow, obviously impressed by this performance.

"Silly man tougher than he looks." Thorn says, claws shrinking as he returns back to his normal form.

Vorpal word
2010-05-14, 10:54 PM
Alright, I take it from the general silence that you decide to move on. If anyone wanted to use potions, make checks, and so on during the gap between encounters you may do so retroactively before initiative is rolled, meanwhile I just want to get this going. The random monsters had no treasure, by the way.

After a couple more hours of walking your now six-member group turns a corner and hears the sound of rushing water. An underground river shoots out from a rugged outcrop some sixty feet high to form a beautiful thirty-foot waterfall which flows due south from there within a shallow channel. A sturdy-looking wooden bridge crosses the river only fifteen feet from the falls, and spray cascades over it.

Map:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-8.jpg

Unfortunately, this place has been touched by humanoids in more ways than just that bridge, and the harsher side of this is about to hit home. The far side of the bridge is occupied by four small, green goblins, similar to the one you fought earlier but more meagerly clad and armed only with crude knives. Behind them stands a taller group of red-skinned humanoids with faces similar to these lesser fighters--hobgoblins. Each of the four is well-armored and carries a shield; while three wield flails the fourth and largest grasps a deadly-looking pike. You glimpse a couple more of these creatures, evidently lightly armored females, hiding among the trees and on the cliff. They have evidently noticed you already, because the piker addresses you immediately.

"Halt! This bridge is ours by right of conquest, and we shall suffer none of elfish race to pass!" He spits on the ground upon saying the word, "Elf", as if it is not worth mentioning, then continues, "The rest of you may go by, but must pay one hundred gold a head! And as a warning for bringing the fey into our domain, you must pay for them as well! Be warned, dragons--if one of them steps upon this bridge, blood will be spilled ere the day is done."

At this, the little goblins strike up a war chant: "Blood! Blood! Blood!"

Map Legend:

-5, 30, and 60 are all height markers (in feet)
The fence is a ladder and the dark green is trees.

Heroes:

1: Maekrix
2: Caex
3: Faral
4: Anfergout
5: Geide
6: Thorn

Goblins:

7, 8, 9, 10: Goblin Cutters
11, 12: Hobgoblin Archers
13, 14, 15: Hobgoblin Soldiers
16: Hobgoblin Warcaster
17: Hobgoblin Commander

That is about it, will post initiative when needed. Things to consider:

-Because of the waterfall, the current is very strong. An Athletics check must be made every round in the water, and failure by 5 or more will result in the character getting pulled 1 square downstream. Getting pulled into the bridge deals 1d6 damage and the character risks drowning by getting stuck under it.

-The outcrop can be climbed, though it is a tough climb. Furthermore, the hobgoblins have set up camp on top and left a ladder on their side for easy access.

-You have time to make a battle plan, they will not attack unless you provoke them in some way. Using a bull rush may be a good idea.

-I will not leave these hints around again, nor will I make the hidden enemies this easy to find, I'm only doing this cause it's almost midnight and I'm too tired to make a second map with hidden enemies. If you want to role-play well, let only the people with a good Perception result notice them.

daa18
2010-05-17, 02:53 PM
After the fight with the horror thorn spent two healing surges and grabbed a bunch of the vines to use as rope.

Thorn begins tying rope and vines to the end of two of his arrows. He gestures to his companions and says "You go try talk to them. I get ready to shoot archers. Dragonborn can try pull into water with rope. Will make fight easier if you no can persuade."
Thorn points out the archers as he says so to make sure his companions see them.

Kyrthain
2010-05-21, 05:01 PM
Maekrix slowly strides towards the bridge, stopping right before it. He calls out to the hobgoblin leader

"Now, I'm sure we can resolve this without any casualties on either side. We cannot leave our elves behind, however. Perhaps there is another way we can get to where we are headed, so we will not need to pass through your territory. If you know of such a way, tell us, and we will leave you to your business."

DIPLOMACY! [roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-05-21, 05:29 PM
The commander's response comes quick and harsh: "Try if you must, but that ridge over there goes on for miles, and there is no other ford or bridge downstream. We are not fools--we would not guard a bridge with no value. Now pay the toll, or leave before my warriors attack."

Kyrthain
2010-05-21, 05:36 PM
Maekrix's expression matches that of the commander

"I see you do not realize who you address."

He draws out his signet ring.

"I am Maekrix Iejer'Daar, son of king Torinn Iejer'Daar of Arkhosia. My companions and I are here on a diplomatic mission to the elven kingdom. Are you sure you wish to attack the prince of Arkhosia and a number of elven diplomats? Such actions could have...Unpleasant consequences."

Vorpal word
2010-05-21, 08:02 PM
This response makes the hobgoblin pause for a moment, and he stares intently at Maekrix, pondering the situation. He seems to see the reason in your words and now doubly fears a confrontation, but giving in at this point would make his dominance among his subordinates disintegrate. He quickly has a whispered conversation with a nearby hobgoblin, a female wearing blue robes and wielding a staff. After a few seconds he speaks:

"Prince, eh? And you say you are on a diplomatic mission to the false kingdom of the filthy elves! Well, I'll have to tell you that you are on the wrong side of the border! This is not elven land, but our land, and though it be small we shall not relinquish it to any fey or ally of the fey, Prince or not! And you think to fool me with that ring, when there is no royal escort to guard your path? I think that was your mistake, Prince, or rather, Thief, for I do not believe you are Prince Maekrix; I think you are a cowardly robber who stole the Prince's ring for his own false purposes! Do I not speak truly, my warriors?"

A cheer greets these words, and the little goblins begin to shriek again: "Kill the filthy elves and their foul helpers! KILL! KILL!"

demidracolich
2010-05-21, 08:59 PM
Caex clears his throat and says, "The reason we do not travel with a large escort is that the king wished us to travel in a small group and go unnoticed. I am Caex di Virthacar of the noble house di Virthacar and was assigned to be his royal highness's body guard. See, this is the seal of my house with the emblem on it. I can assure you that this and the ring are both genuine and we are no theives."
diplomacy check any ways [roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-05-21, 09:13 PM
Caex's deep, calming voice stops the goblins' chant in their tracks, and even the hobgoblins no longer seem convinced that their leader's challenge was correct. The commander flashes an angry look at his female adviser, and says:

"Very well, you may be friends of the fey, but you are honorable at that. As a matter of fact, hobgoblins, too, are honorable, when we are not angered by the presence of the elves, our ancient enemies. For this one time, we shall let these...pointy-eared creatures pass through our domain. But, while you may be men true to your word, can you say so for the others among you? Can you be sure that they will not strike at us as they cross?"

"To pay for any potential injury, we still demand our toll of one hundred gold pieces a head. Surely a Prince of Arkhosia could spare us this much from the royal treasury, and if we receive this large a sum we might just use the money to leave our life of raiding and settle down as honest beings. Shall we be paid?"

This speech, in so sharp a contrast to the last, leaves a silence among the hobgoblin camp; not even the stupid little goblins say a word. Yet among this seemingly calm silence every one of them is tense, ready for action.

Ensorceled
2010-05-22, 10:26 AM
Geide shouts loudly to the Hobgoblin Commander
Geide uses Encounter Power Words of Friendship and Diplomacy [roll0]

Good sir, I think you misunderstand our intent. We wish merely to cross the bridge, not buy it from your band. We offer 5gp per member of our little troupe, 10gp each for the elves. A fabulous total of 45gp; you'll eat well for more than a month. I will also sweeten the deal you this bottle of good wine, to make good on your trouble.
Geide turns to Maekrix and speaks in a stage whisper, pitched to carry over the sound of the water to other side.
Geide uses Bluff [roll1]

My lord, that offer is more than generous. If they refuse then they are too unreasonable to negotiate with and I say we simply return with a company of archers and put an end to this.

Vorpal word
2010-05-22, 01:38 PM
Insight check for commander: [roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-05-22, 01:47 PM
The commander seems truly afraid now, trying only to get the best deal possible:

"Why, forty-five gold? But we shall have to fight our way out of this forest, and as it is a few days to the nearest town I am sure our weapons and armor--and perhaps even some of our men--will suffer some hurt. We'll need new equipment once we're out of here, and forty-five gold won't buy us much compared to what we have now. Give us double that and I guarantee that we will not bother another traveler."

Kyrthain
2010-05-22, 02:01 PM
Maekrix narrows his gaze.

"Now, hold just one moment. You claim that should we pay you, you would give up raiding. IF that is the case, you should have no need for weapons and armor. Why would you need new weapons if you plan on giving up your violent way of life?"

INTIMIDATE![roll0]

demidracolich
2010-05-22, 02:09 PM
Seeing they don't seem to be completely convinced, Caex roars impatiently and says, "You claim you are honourable, yet why do you not keep your promise to stop raiding? We keep our promises, so should you."
[spoiler]use roar of triumph, should give me a bonus on intimadate, not sure what. Intimidate: [roll0] [spoiler]

Vorpal word
2010-05-22, 02:14 PM
The hobgoblin is about to say something in response to Maekrix when Caex's roar interrupts him. The goblins squeal and begin to back away from the scary-looking dragonborn. Realizing that the diplomatic battle is lost, the commander makes a last attempt.

"We are creatures of battle, and would be best suited for mercenary work, as we are seasoned veterans. For this purpose, we will need our weapons. I see now that you are powerful and that breaking a promise to you would be foolish, but I have not lied to you; I truly mean to reform. We have heard of princes and kings as generous people, and we may even serve in your forces when you become the ruler of Arkhosia, but we need money to start up and hone our skills. You would not regret paying us 90 gold pieces."

Ensorceled
2010-05-22, 02:37 PM
Geide sings softly, too low for the goblinoids to hear over the water but loud enough for the party ...
Sung to the tune of The Beverly Hillbillies theme song

Let me tell you all a story
about a man name Geide
Poor minstrel boy with a price
upon his head
Then one day while he was
out for a stroll
he came apon some goblins
asking for a toll

Ugly brutes,
None too bright

The next thing you know
ol' Geide is in a fight
Hobgoblin heads comin' off
left and right.
After that there was nothing
left to sing,
But to loot the bodies,
and see if they had anything.

Silver, gold;
Semi-precious gems

Kyrthain
2010-05-22, 02:40 PM
Maekrix glares at the hobgoblin.

"So, you want our charity. You think that your band of raiders deserves our charity, so that you can take up the noble occupation of mercenaries? Of course, the many poor folk that you have raided, they needed no charity. Those innocents that you have surely murdered in the course of your profession needed no charity. They deserved to die. But you. Your band of killers deserves more Arkhosian gold than most people will see in their lives, just so that you can get sharper blades and so that you can work for the highest bidder, rather than waylaying poor travelers. We will cross this bridge, and if you get in our way, we will leave your corpses for the carrion birds."

INTIMIDATE!! [roll0]

demidracolich
2010-05-22, 02:51 PM
Caex's eyes narror, his massive sword instantly appearing in his hands. he then take a step forward and growls, "We will give you the promised amount, no less, but no more. You have two choices: let us cross, take the gold and leave this place never to return. Your other choice is to try and stop us from crossing, for that I assure you you will feel this blade soon enough!"
[spoiler]Intimidate again: [roll0] [/spoiler.

Vorpal word
2010-05-22, 02:52 PM
"Then so be it, fool! You leave us no choice but to destroy you like all those others you have mentioned!"

With these words the commander and the robed female spring up, ready for action. The rest of the band follows more uncertainly, demoralized by their leader's loss in the earlier debate.

Initiative:
Goblin Cutters: [roll0]
Hobgoblin Archer (across bridge): [roll1]
Hobgoblin Archer (on clifftop): [roll2]
Hobgoblin Soldier: [roll3]
Hobgoblin Warcaster: [roll4]
Hobgoblin Commander: [roll5]

For your information, you guys get bonus EXP for making that extra skill challenge.

Kyrthain
2010-05-22, 02:55 PM
Maekrix readies himself to hold the line

INITIATIVE! [roll0]

Ensorceled
2010-05-22, 03:04 PM
Geide's armor reverts to it's true from as he steels himself for the upcoming conflict...

Initiative 1d20 + 3

Ensorceled
2010-05-22, 03:06 PM
Geide steels himself twice for dramatic effect.

Let's try that again.[roll0]

demidracolich
2010-05-22, 03:06 PM
Caex brings up his sword, readyign a charge at the goblins.
initiative [roll0] factored in +1 from bard.

demidracolich
2010-05-22, 04:02 PM
Suddenly remembering Thorn's plan with the rope, Caex moves next to Thorn and gets ready to pull the rope after he shoots it.
Moves next to Thorn and ready action to pull the rope after he shoots the archer.

daa18
2010-05-22, 06:20 PM
Thorns eyes light up. He knew that it would come to a fight and as he takes his stance, he snarls "Finally, fresh meat."

Initiative
[roll0]

Pork Meister
2010-05-23, 01:00 PM
"Shall we?"
Initiative: [roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-05-23, 03:37 PM
Owing to Sebastian's lack of response to my email, I'm rolling for him. His fault if it's bad.

[roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-05-23, 04:06 PM
Map Update (with final starting positions):

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-9.jpg

Initiative Order

Caex
Hobgoblin Archer 1
Faral
Hobgoblin Soldiers
Thorn
Hobgoblin Warcaster
Geide
Hobgoblin Archer 2
Hobgoblin Commander
Anfergout
Maekrix
Goblin Cutters

Vorpal word
2010-05-23, 04:11 PM
Since Caex has already spent his turn readying his action to pull a target archer, Hobgoblin Archer 1 gets to act.

The first enemy to act, a lightly armored female archer, decides to earn some glory in her leader's eyes, sniping at Maekrix from her hiding spot.

Attack: [roll0] vs AC

It is now Faral's turn.

Vorpal word
2010-05-26, 08:49 PM
Posting for Mihail:

Faral's eyes blaze as he leaps into action against the hated hobgoblins. He swings his chain at the two front goblins, laughing as they shriek in fear.

Second Attack (only if first one hits): [roll2]

The soldiers move next.

Vorpal word
2010-05-26, 09:12 PM
Disregard the note about Faral's second attack only happening on a first hit from last post, the power card isn't worded very well.

The archer's shot bounces off Maekrix's breastplate harmlessly. Faral's first target cunningly leaps over his swing, but the goblin beside him is caught unaware and is cut neatly in half, blood spilling into the pristine river. Shrieking in terror and with its retreat cut off, his relatively lucky partner rushes blindly forward, cutting off Faral's reach.

Goblin 7 uses his Goblin Tactics power to shift west 1 square.
Goblin 9 is dead.

Behind the disorganized goblin squad, the hobgoblin soldiers wait patiently for their commander's signal.

The soldiers delay until after the Goblin Cutters' turn.

Thorn, fire at will.

daa18
2010-05-27, 02:52 PM
Thorn draws his bow in the blink of an eye, firing a buzzing, rope trailing arrow at the archer by the riverbank.

Thorn Draws his bow and attacks with stinging swarm
Attack roll vs AC
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]
On a hit it takes -2 on ranged attacks plus the -2 on all attacks from stinging swarm

demidracolich
2010-05-27, 04:27 PM
Seeing Thorn'sarrow thud into the archer, Caex grabs hold of the rope and begins to pull.
athletics check: [roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-05-27, 05:47 PM
Actually, I'd consider using the rope a Strength check, so the result for Caex is 22. Still good though!

Caught completely unaware as she was readying her second shot, the archer attempts to resists as Thorn and Caex reel her into the stream.

Strength check: [roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-05-27, 06:01 PM
So far so good for you guys.

The archer plunges into the stream heavily. Gasping, she attempts to resist the current pulling her towards the bridge.

Athletics check: [roll0]
Anyone holding the rope can give her a -2 penalty on these checks by making a DC 10 Strength check.

Surprisingly confident, the robed female rises at the back of her ranks, saying audibly: "Don't worry, I'll make sure they get wet too."

She walks slowly and purposefully into the shadow of the trees where the archer once crouched. Taking cover behind a couple of them, she points her staff at Caex and beckons him forward, chanting an incantation.

Move 1 square northwest and 2 squares north.

Ranged Attack vs Fortitude: [roll1]
Damage: [roll2] force damage, and slide Caex into the middle of the river south of the bridge (3 squares).

Vorpal word
2010-05-27, 06:06 PM
The archer snaps out of her daze and starts paddling towards the shore. On the other bank, Caex is knocked fifteen feet through the air and lands with a splash in the middle of the river.

Booya, finally hit someone!

It is now Geide's turn.

PS: The hobgoblin archer's swimming actually occurs on her turn, I just posted it above for simplicity's sake since that's all she'll be doing. Unless you guys screw her up majorly, she'll make it back to the bank but won't have any actions left after that.

Ensorceled
2010-05-28, 08:06 AM
Geide flicks his sword with his finger nail and the metallic ping rises quickly to a discordant clash as he points his sword up hill at the archer covering the bridge.

Staggering Note targeting the archer on the hill, hoping to push them back two squares and off the 60' cliff on the other side.

Attack vs Will: [roll0]
Damage: 5

Vorpal word
2010-05-28, 01:02 PM
The clifftop archer staggers as the bard's magic hits home. She flails wildly, trips, and topples backwards off the edge of the cliff!

Falling Damage: [roll0]
Athletics Check to catch self: [roll1]

Which side should she fall from? I might add that the cliff is a ridge (though the rest of it isn't shown on the map), so falling off the north end is impossible, but west (into your hands), east (back where she came from), or south (down the waterfall) are all possibilities! :smallwink:

Vorpal word
2010-05-28, 01:06 PM
On second thought, don't bother with which side she fell from, the falling damage was above average. :smalltongue:

You watch the archer fall, screaming all the way, until she is impaled on the sharp rocks at the bottom of the waterfall. The current begins to tow her dismembered body downstream.

On the other end of the bridge, the commander and his guards take this development calmly and continue to wait for an opportunity.

Guards and Commander delay until after the Goblin Cutters' turn.

I won't be here until Monday night, so Anfergout and Maekrix should take their turns in that time slot.

Redshirt Army
2010-05-29, 10:47 AM
Anfergout seems to step around a corner that isn't there, and reappears in the middle of the group of enemies. Capitalizing on his sudden appearance, he twists his blade in a sweeping ark, hitting a truly impressive amount of foes, before eying the caster from between the ranks of soldiers.

I use Fey step to go up 1 square and right 5 squares, then use Sword Burst.

[roll0] vs. Reflex, attacking Goblin Cutters 2 and 4, and Hobgoblin Soldiers 1, 2, and 3.

If I hit, they take [roll1] force damage, and are affected by my White Lotus Riposte. (They take 8 force damage if they attack me.)

I then use Aegis of Ensnarement on the Goblin Warcaster.

Redshirt Army
2010-05-29, 10:48 AM
Hang on, you roll damage separately for each person caught in a burst. Lemme reroll that some more.

The Cutters are dead if I hit, and this is the rerolled damage for the Soldiers.
SEE NEXT POST

Also, I double checked, and I hit all 5 enemies.
Woo! Go White Lotus Riposte!

Redshirt Army
2010-05-29, 10:56 AM
Re-re-roll!

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Kyrthain
2010-05-29, 11:31 AM
Maekrix, seeing Anfergout eliminate most of the remaining goblins, calls out encouragement to his allies

"Good work elf, that's what I like to see!"

He then turns to Thorn

"Looks like that caster knows what he's doing. We can't just let him keep pulling us into the river now, can we?"

DIRECT THE STIKE!
Adrian, SHOOT HIM!

daa18
2010-05-29, 03:01 PM
Thorn grins and shoots a buzzing arrow at the caster.

Stinging swarm again.
Attack roll Vs AC
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]
On a hit, every enemy adjacent to the caster takes the -2 on attack rolls as well. Only the caster takes the extra ranged attack penalty though.

Vorpal word
2010-05-31, 07:56 PM
Re-rolling Anfergout's attack rolls (the original is used for the middle soldier).

Top Cutter: [roll0]
Bottom Cutter: [roll1]
Top Soldier: [roll2]
Bottom Soldier: [roll3]

Next post will depend on the results of this one.

Vorpal word
2010-05-31, 08:34 PM
Sorry, only two hits for the elf. Thorn's attack hit home though.

Anfergout's spinning maneuver slices into two of the hobgoblins and causes chaos among its other targets, but the real threat exhibited by the elf is in the magic symbol which briefly lights up above the caster on his command. Seeing the flash, she hisses urgently, "He's put some sort of spell on me! Attack him!"

Before she can finish the command, an arrow smacks into her thigh with a curious humming sound. A huge cloud of mosquitoes erupts from the point of impact, harassing everyone within reach as the victim shrieks in pain.

Now for my turn...

The remaining three goblins now decide to move forward, emboldened by their lucky avoidance of enemy attacks. The closest one moves into the shadow of a tree and stabs at Thorn, while the other two charge Maekrix and Faral.

Goblin 7 shifts northwest, Goblins 8 and 10 charge as mentioned.

Against Thorn: [roll0]
Against Maekrix: [roll1]
Against Faral: [roll2]

All of these deal 4 damage each.

As the goblins move in, the main enemy force, held in reserve for so long, enters the battle in an attempt to end Anfergout's bold sally. The commander and his three soldiers move carefully to cut off their foe's retreat, willing to take a hit from him in order to eliminate the threat to their leaders.

Top Soldier shifts west, Bottom Soldier shifts west, and Commander shifts south-west. Middle Soldier does not move at all.

Top Soldier uses his regular attack while the Bottom Soldier uses Formation Strike to attempt to shift north-west (cutting off Anfergout's retreat) and the Middle Soldier tries to shift south-west to replace the Bottom Soldier. The Commander goes before his men to give them his potential bonus.

Sorry if this was confusing at all, it's just complex set-up. Here are the rolls:

Commander: Attack [roll3], Damage [roll4]. If this hits all the soldiers have +2 to attack and damage until the end of his next turn.

Top Soldier: Attack [roll5], Damage [roll6]. If this hits Anfergout is marked and slowed until the end of the soldier's next turn.

Bottom Soldier: Attack [roll7], Damage [roll8].
Middle Soldier: Attack [roll9], Damage [roll10].
The side effects of both of these were explained above. Enjoy :smallamused:.

Round summary will come tomorrow after school, I hardly got any sleep this weekend so I'm surprised I even...<falls asleep on keyboard>.

demidracolich
2010-05-31, 09:08 PM
After being knocked into the river, Caex immediately beings swimming for shore.
athletic check: [roll0]

demidracolich
2010-06-01, 06:04 PM
Caex again swims towards the shore.
athletics check: [roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-06-02, 06:43 PM
Posting map and updated initiative order (this is from before Caex's swim actions, which didn't change anything anyway since they both failed).

Map:

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-10.jpg

Initiative:

Caex
Hobgoblin Archer
Faral
Thorn
Hobgoblin Caster
Geide
Anfergout
Maekrix
Goblin Cutters
Commander
Hobgoblin Soldiers

Vorpal word
2010-06-02, 06:45 PM
Hobgoblin spends move action swimming: [roll0]

Vorpal word
2010-06-02, 06:50 PM
Hobgoblin spends second move action in another attempt and uses her minor action to detach the harpoon arrow: [roll0]

demidracolich
2010-06-02, 06:57 PM
Hey! You said I had to take a full round action, why does the hobgoblin only need a move?

Vorpal word
2010-06-02, 07:12 PM
The heavy current means that both sides will have combatants eliminated from the fight for a while. Caex only manages to keep afloat against the flow from the waterfall; his hobgoblin co-victim does worse, detaching the harpoon which pulled her in but sinking underwater entirely in the process.

Endurance check for the hobgoblin to avoid drowning: [roll0]
Since these guys don't get healing surges, I'll just start damaging them right away (it's not too much damage anyway...)

By the way, Caex's AC should actually be 18 not 13 and his bonus to Athletics is +12 (due to armor check penalty). Don't understand how the mix-up was this bad but my character builder shows 13 and I can't fix it. Fortunately, nothing that has happened so far is affected by this (and there may be more mistakes). So please guys, double-check those sheets after the combat is over.

Meanwhile, it is Faral's turn, unless Caex wants to use that minor action.

demidracolich
2010-06-02, 07:17 PM
Its actually 19 not 18. 2 from half level, 2 from hide armor expertise, 1 from barbarian agility, and 4 from +1 hide armour.

Vorpal word
2010-06-02, 07:47 PM
And incidentally:

Enemy Damage Summary

NOTE: * means "has -2 to all attacks until the start of Thorn's next turn and a further -2 to ranged and area until the end of that turn."

Hobgoblin Archer 11 and Goblin Cutter 9 are dead (interesting: 9-11)

Hobgoblin Archer 12 has taken 17 damage before the start of this round (and 3 more after that due to lack of air) and *

Hobgoblin Warcaster has taken 8 damage and *

Hobgoblin Soldier 13 and Hobgoblin Soldier 14 have taken 15 damage.

Hobgoblin Soldier 15 has *

Please post your own damage and item usage summaries at the end of this encounter so I can start keeping track properly. :smalltongue:

Vorpal word
2010-06-03, 03:53 PM
As Mihail currently lacks a computer, I will be posting for him again:

Faral bites his lip as he realizes his error in letting the goblins get this close. He decides to use the close ground to his advantage, swinging the chain past the two nearest goblins and grabbing the other end with his left hand in an attempt to decapitate them from behind.

Dual Strike:

Goblin 7: Attack [roll0], Damage [roll1]

Goblin 8: Attack [roll2], Damage [roll3]

daa18
2010-06-03, 06:57 PM
Thorn takes advantage of the fact that the goblin attacking him is dead, and moves away from the combat, firing an arrow which glows blindingly at the caster.

Thorn uses Flickering arrow on the caster and moves 6 squares away from the bridge.
Attack roll vs AC

Damage roll
[roll]1d12+1d6+7
The caster and every enemy within 6 squares of it take -2 on attack rolls and the caster can't gain cover or concealment on a hit (effects last until the end of my next turn).

daa18
2010-06-03, 06:59 PM
Re-roll damage
[roll0]
[roll1]

Vorpal word
2010-06-03, 09:19 PM
Though now struck with two arrows, the caster remains methodical in her attack on the eladrin up ahead. She moves in and strikes with her staff, which crackles with lightning.

Recharge for previous attack: [roll0]

Shift south and attack:

Attack: [roll1], Damage: [roll2]

On a hit Anfergout is dazed until the end of her next turn.

Ensorceled
2010-06-04, 07:52 PM
Geide points his sword at the warcaster and begins to chant:

Kakatal
Lord of Flame.
Here my plea,
join our game.
My plight grim,
My need dire.
Strike my foe
with thy fire.

On the last words Geide's voice crackles and snaps like a camp fire and flame shoots out of his sword towards the warcaster.

Geide uses Daily Power, Rhyme of Fire
Attack: [roll0] vs Fort
Damage: [roll1], half damage if miss
Effect: until end of encounter any time an ally hits the warcaster she takes 5 fire damage

Vorpal word
2010-06-04, 11:33 PM
The warcaster is now bloodied (36 damage), and it is now Anfergout's turn, then Maekrix's. Incidentally, does the caster roll saves against the effect?

Vorpal word
2010-06-05, 01:49 PM
Posting for Sebastian:

The hobgoblin wise woman's robes have been mostly burned away at this point, and with a charred face and an arrow in each arm she definitely looks on the verge of collapse, especially after her electrified staff attack swings right into the ground. Anfergout uses her close position to continue spinning, slashing at all five of the opponents walling him away from the bridge.

Sword Burst (Attacks clockwise starting from the Top Soldier).

[roll0], [roll1], [roll2], [roll3], [roll4]

Damage: [roll5] force, White Lotus Riposte Damage: 8 force.

After this, shift west 1 square.

Vorpal word
2010-06-05, 08:51 PM
The caster and the soldier facing Anfergout leap out of the reach of his blade, but the other two soldiers and the commander are not so lucky.

It is now Maekrix's turn, and the bottom soldier is bloodied (27 damage).

Kyrthain
2010-06-06, 06:45 AM
Maekrix slashes out at the goblin next to him

Basic attack
Damage:Irrelevant

Kyrthain
2010-06-06, 06:48 AM
After easily cleaving through the goblin, Maekrix moves up along the bridge to help Anfergout.

I move straight along the bridge, next to the nearest soldier

Vorpal word
2010-06-06, 02:54 PM
The hobgoblin commander wipes blood from a thigh wound and roars out commands to his troops, "Thria, stay away from them, you can't take any more hits! Alershin, get out of the river and keep their archer busy! I know you're hurt, men, but if we hold the bridge they can move in more than two men at a time! Hold!!" The soldiers line up at the end of the bridge with their chief.

The commander moves one square northwest and attacks, then the far soldier moves south and southwest and all three soldiers use their standard attack.

Commander (vs Maekrix): Attack [roll0], Damage [roll1]
Bottom Soldier (vs Maekrix): Attack [roll2], Damage [roll3]
Middle Soldier (vs Maekrix): Attack [roll4], Damage [roll5]
Top Soldier (vs Anfergout): Attack [roll6], Damage [roll7]

Remember, if the commander's attack hits then anyone else targeting Maekrix has +2 to both attack and damage. Oh and Anfergout's foe takes 8 damage and is probably bloodied (will double check in round summary).

Vorpal word
2010-06-06, 06:20 PM
It's that time again!

Round Summary

Map

http://i924.photobucket.com/albums/ad82/zeoxyman/CurrentBattle-11.jpg

Damage

NOTE: Every enemy that is still alive has -2 to attack rolls until the end of Thorn's turn.

All Goblin Cutters and Archer 11 are dead.
Archer 12 has 20 damage and is bloodied.
Soldier 13 has 27 damage and is bloodied.
Soldier 14 has 15 damage.
Soldier 15 has 20 damage.
Warcaster has 36 damage, is bloodied, takes 5 fire damage whenever one of you hits her, cannot gain cover or concealment until the end of Thorn's turn, and has an extra -2 on ranged and area attacks until the end of Thorn's turn.
Commander has 20 damage.

In-Character Summary

The goblin slaves' luck finally runs out as they are cut down by Faral and Maekrix, but they seem to have done their job of slowing down your front line. Meanwhile, both of the fighters who have ended up in the river fail to rejoin the battle, with the hobgoblin being pulled under while Caex barely keeps his head above the water line.

The hobgoblin front line pours all their effort into cutting down the hated eladrin who has teleported so boldly into their midst, but Anfergout proves to be a skilled fighter: He dodges the warcaster's staff easily, then winds a soldier's flail around his sword and swings it right back at him, catching him in the side. "Here, let me show you what true weapon mastery means," he laughs as he tosses the blade to his left hand and spins the other way, hitting three of them in a low swing before stepping back to a safe distance. To ensure his comrade's safety, Maekrix immediately moves up, meeting enemy weapons with his shield as he plants himself firmly next to his comrade, ready to hold the bridgehead against any assault.

Initiative

Caex
Hobgoblin Archer
Faral
Thorn
Hobgoblin Warcaster
Geide
Anfergout
Maekrix
Hobgoblin Commander
Hobgoblin Soldiers

That's about it, but once again trying to speed this up (and hopefully finish the adventure before I have to leave for camp), could everyone please just check the thread every day? I will check twice, once between 3 and 5 and once between 8 and 10, so if it wasn't your turn earlier, it may be later. On this note, please post as fast as possible, or else I will post for you!

demidracolich
2010-06-06, 08:06 PM
Caex once again tries to swim for shore.
athletics checks: [roll0] [roll1]

demidracolich
2010-06-06, 09:22 PM
Furious at the caster, Caex swim ashore a little bit north of her, shifts towards her and swings his blade.
use pressing strike to shift next to her [roll0]
damage: [roll1]

demidracolich
2010-06-06, 09:29 PM
Seeing his attack hit, Caex opens his mouth and spews out lightning.
dragon breath: [roll0] damage: [roll]1d6+2[/roll[ both warcaster and soldier are affected.

demidracolich
2010-06-07, 04:03 PM
After felling the caster, Caex breathes lightning towards the soldier and roars loudly.
[spoiler] roar of triumph, all enemies in close burst 8 take a -2 penalty to all defenses and I get +2 to damage against them until the end of my next turn.
dragon breath: [roll0] vs reflex, damage: [roll1]
[/spoiler.

Vorpal word
2010-06-07, 04:25 PM
Soldier's attack of opportunity on Caex: [roll0], [roll1]

Enemy archer's athletics and endurance checks: [roll2], [roll3], [roll4]

Soldier 15 is now bloodied (26 damage)

Vorpal word
2010-06-07, 04:31 PM
The hobgoblin mage finally gets her just desserts for giving Caex a bath, even though he may have needed one with all the blood staining him from last battle. The barbarian paddles at an impossible speed towards the enemy shore, rushes right past the nearest soldier who only manages a half-hearted swing in response, and stops in front of the caster. She has time to shriek only once before his massive blade quarters her, which is followed by bolt of lightning that shoots out of the dragonborn's mouth and scorches the nearest soldier. Caex rips the head from his victim's shoulders and lets out a roar which nearly knocks the goblinoids off their feet with its intensity.

After this surprise attack the hobgoblin archer realizes that she has nothing to fight for but her own survival, but she isn't about to let herself drown quite yet: Paddling madly, she makes for the shore and moves to flank the barbarian. With her bow of no use at such close quarters she drops it and pulls out a slender sword, taunting as she attacks: "Come and play!"

Attack: [roll0], Damage: [roll1]

Everyone, starting with Faral, gets to move before the other enemies.

Vorpal word
2010-06-07, 05:09 PM
Posting for Mihail yet again:

As he sees an enemy sword cut into his comrade, Faral decides to keep the commander busy to stop him from using his flanking position. The fighter moves forward and uses his chain to swing over his comrades' heads and reach the commander and the soldier on his right.

Move east then southeast and Dual Strike:

Attacks: [roll0], [roll1]

Damage: [roll2], [roll3]

Vorpal word
2010-06-07, 05:11 PM
11 damage to both targets, thanks to Gauntlets of Blood. It is now Adrian's turn, then Rob's, then Sebastian's, then Stephen's. Then mine if still alive...

daa18
2010-06-07, 05:52 PM
Thorn once again fires a buzzing arrow, this time at the hobgoblin leader.

Stinging swarm once again (Can't wait until i get to retrain my powers so my other options are better than just spamming stinging swarm)
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]

daa18
2010-06-07, 05:56 PM
Seeing his attack miss, Thorns eyes glow brightly and the arrow turns around and streaks towards the nearest hobgoblin.

Thorn uses inevitable shot to use stinging swarm on hobgoblin 14
Attack roll
[roll0]
Damage roll
[roll1]

Ensorceled
2010-06-07, 06:37 PM
Geide moves quickly onto the bridge, bringing himself closer to the DragonBorn and speaks a single word of power which rings sharp and clear over the sounds of battle and is gone, unable to be remembered. Caex feels himself imbued with potential healing magic and suddenly slides up beside the Hobgoblin commander.

Geide once again pings his sword; this time the crescendo of sound aimed at the hobgoblin's commander. Geide clearly hopes to knock the commander back and out of the battle, giving Caex a free attack to the reeling hobgoblin.

Move Action: Move onto the bridge (2 squares)
Minor Action: Majestic Word, if Caex uses a healing surge he regains an additional +5 HP. Majestic Word slides Caex one square which, I believe, will move him next to the Commander.
Attack: Staggering Note [roll0] vs Will
On Hit: 5 damage + push back 2 squares + Caex gets to make a basic melee attack

Vorpal word
2010-06-07, 06:42 PM
All misses so far, and I don't see anything that gives Faral bonus damage dice on a critical. Will post later so we can try and finish a round in a single day (let's face it, there's just this feeling of complete awesome around that idea).

Vorpal word
2010-06-07, 07:57 PM
My apologies about the critical, the extra damage to the commander is [roll0].

Redshirt Army
2010-06-07, 08:18 PM
Seeing his mark fall, Anfergout refocuses his attention to the commander (unless he's dead, which I doubt.), weaving his magic at him while making a sweeping blow: "Stand and Fight!"

Sword Burst, what else, against soldiers 14 and 15, and the commander.

Attacks:

Commander: [roll0] vs. Reflex
Soldier 14: [roll1] vs. Reflex
Soldier 15: [roll2] vs. Reflex

When the commander attacks me, I'm using Dimensional Vortex to try and get him to attack one of his allies instead. (Triggering my Aegis.)
That attack: [roll4] vs. Will
Damage: Enemy attack, can't roll, but if it hits, the enemy is teleported next to another enemy, and resolves their attack against that instead.

Also, the commander is under my Aegis of Ensnarement.

demidracolich
2010-06-07, 08:32 PM
By the way all of you, add +2 to attack rolls because of the penalty to all defences they take from my roar of triumph.

Redshirt Army
2010-06-07, 09:23 PM
Right, so make that an 18, a 14, an 18, and a 13.

So basically, I hit both the Commander and Soldier 15 with Sword Burst.

FOR MASSIVE DAMAGE

Kyrthain
2010-06-07, 09:32 PM
Maekrix yells out to the commander:

"I do believe it is high time you took a little swim."

Devastating Offensive: Encounter power, if it hits, I slide the commander into the river, and slide whichever ally is adjacent to me into the square he was in, and they can make a basic attack against him.

Kyrthain
2010-06-07, 09:34 PM
The commander plunges into the river as Maekrix's blade slams into him
CRIT!
Damage:[roll0] 1d6 from magic weapon, plus the max damage of 1d10+5

Vorpal word
2010-06-07, 10:20 PM
As the fighting continues, a hush seems to fall upon the battlefield. With his right-hand man and his faithful adviser fallen, himself bleeding from a dozen wounds, the hobgoblin leader grits his teeth as he locks weapons with the prince. They circle around the bridgehead, oblivious of the others around them, and for the first time, the goblin shows true fear. He lashes out wildly, and his spear shatters on his adversary's shield; before he can flee, his adversary grabs and bodily heaves him into the river. A fighter to the last, the hobgoblin grabs the bridge rail, and the two nearest foes cut his exposed arms off entirely, watching as he goes under for good.

With their commander and more than half their comrades dead, the hobgoblins see that there is no point in continuing to battle. The new self-proclaimed leader, the least wounded of the three who are still alive, throws down his weapon and calls out, "We surrender!" The other two follow suit quickly.

Congratulations on yet another victory (yeah, I bet we all saw that coming), and getting through an entire round in a single day. Unfortunately, I think we'll have to slow down a bit after this (homework and such), but keep on posting and I'll see what I can do. In the meantime, I'd like a double-checked character sheet and a damage summary from all of you to keep track.

Kyrthain
2010-06-08, 06:56 AM
Maekrix begins directing his comrades

"Thorn, grab some of that rope and tie these marauders up"

"Caex, Geide, check to see if you can find anything of use."

He then turns to the hobgoblins.

"Now, as to you three. What should I do about you?"

Ensorceled
2010-06-08, 07:51 AM
Geide's shining armour reverts back to woodland greens as he heads down stream towards the body's caught on rocks in the current. He pauses briefly and shouts back:

Hey, what will we do with the fallen? Stone, Pyre or Carrion?

As he recovers the salvage the other parties see Geide's lips moving, as if singing under his breath.

daa18
2010-06-08, 03:02 PM
Thorn does as Maekrix asks, tying the ropes tightly around the three remaining hobgoblins. While doing this his stomach growls loudly and he looks hungrily at the dead caster.

"Can eat now? Last time ate was yesterday and mage already cooked."

Vorpal word
2010-06-08, 03:07 PM
The goblin spokesman says, "Do with us what you will, we cannot win this battle. But if you think of slaying us for our barbarous ways, look at your own comrade! He lusts for humanoid flesh! That is all I have to say."

daa18
2010-06-08, 03:24 PM
Thorn tilts his head and looks at the hobgoblin like he's a lunatic.

"No point in waste kill. No point in kill if no get meat. In swamp, kill animal, eat meat. Plenty animal smart, you still eat meat. Waste meat is insult to forest."

Kyrthain
2010-06-11, 09:37 PM
Maekrix turns to his companions and breaks the uncomfortable silence

"Now, what should we do with these prisoners?"

Ensorceled
2010-06-15, 05:58 PM
Geide returns to the group, damp from wading into the stream.

You are at a crossroads, my lord. This decision will do much to determine how you will be seen by others. Release them and you are soft. Slay them, a cruel tyrant. Try them, a officious oaf. Leave us to make the
decision, a poltroon. I'm not sure there is even a correct choice, but it is yours to make.

Kyrthain
2010-06-15, 06:35 PM
"Of all those options, I feel that bringing them to the authorities is the best. We should keep them tied, and perhaps they will be useful should we encounter further danger."

Kyrthain
2010-06-16, 06:36 AM
Seeing how most of his allies are simply standing about, Maekrix calls them to attention

"I had thought that you lot had gotten tired of acting like silnesai, but it seems it's spreading! We don't have time to sit around admiring the anonic, so lets get moving!"

demidracolich
2010-06-16, 08:33 PM
"Well, great, now I have to carry them." Caex grumbles as he picks up the prisoners.

Ensorceled
2010-06-17, 08:15 AM
Or you could untie their legs and make them walk ...

Geide shakes his head and starts singing ...

Caex lifts us up where we belong
Where hobgobs lie, instead of die
On his back so strong

Geide catches the look in Caex's eye and laughs, but stops singing ...

daa18
2010-06-17, 07:50 PM
Thorn takes one last look at the hobgoblin caster and follows about 20 feet behind the party, grumbling quietly about his missed meal.

Vorpal word
2010-06-17, 09:38 PM
Treasure

In the tent you find the few valuables the hobgoblins must have plundered from their previous victims: 40 gold pieces and three medium-sized garnets, worth no more than 100 gold each. Also, as the bard pulls the enemy leader's corpse from the river, he feels a repelling quality emanating from the suit of armor the creature is wearing. It clearly feels magical, though there is no way the brute who used it previously would have known its properties; perhaps one of you could make better use of it?

So, since you guys probably take a bit of time to identify the armor, I'll just give you the simplified list:

- 40 gp.
- 3 garnets (worth 100 gp each).
- +2 Curseforged scale armor (worth 3,400 gp).

I assume you then proceed onwards along the path. Once again, I need damage summaries and character sheet updates before we continue; furthermore, no XP for you until I get this stuff! :smallamused:

Kyrthain
2010-06-18, 06:30 AM
4hp down, used Leader's Instincts.
Also, I assume the armor is drakescale?

demidracolich
2010-06-18, 10:05 AM
2 from max hp now. One surge used, did not use any encounter or daily powers. I am typing this on my wii.

Vorpal word
2010-06-18, 06:41 PM
@Bill: Nice, @Stephen: Yes, also I need wish lists (preferably by email).

daa18
2010-06-19, 04:14 PM
Thorn's down 4hp and 3 surges. No dailys used.

Vorpal word
2010-06-26, 10:03 AM
Alright guys, I guess this concludes Session One of my forum game. Thanks for playing, and stay tuned for Session Two, which might happen sometime in the second half of the summer. Also, everyone who still hasn't sent me character changes or anything else I asked for please email them in, as this thread is likely to be locked before I come back. Have a nice summer!

<DM Vorpal Word has just signed out>