PDA

View Full Version : (3.5) Forgotten Realms - Converting old 2nd Edition modules to 3.5

kkortekaas
2010-03-21, 04:29 PM
Howdy folks,
I seriously contemplating running my group through the Godswar (Shadowdale, Tantras & Waterdeep) with brand new characters (likely around level 2 or 3 at the start) , but I`m wondering what experiences others have had converting it to 3.5 Edition.

Failing that, I`m also considering running the Randal Morn adventures (Sword of the Dales, Secret of Spiderhaunt, and the Return of Randal Morn)

I`m going to be running a bastardized version of Iron Heroes with True Sorcery for the magic system, but know what pitfalls others experienced will help me with the conversion.

Thanks.

kkortekaas
2010-03-22, 06:30 AM
Bump as this has fallen off the first couple pages since last night.

RebelRogue
2010-03-22, 07:03 AM
If you are familiar with the editions in question, I've generally found it relatively easy to convert modules (unless there's plot points based on very specific mechanics, but that's extremely rare). It might take a bit of work, though. Good luck :smallsmile:

hamlet
2010-03-22, 07:29 AM
I recommend against the Time of Troubles modules. They are horrific railroads.

I played through them a while ago and the only thing I can remember hearing from the DM is "you can't do that . . ." They cast the PC's as witnesses rather than characters.

kkortekaas
2010-03-22, 07:37 AM
It can't be that bad can it? I mean I know the general premise (having read the novels) and I'm sure a little wiggle room exists no?

CapnVan
2010-03-22, 12:43 PM
I've never played them, but I can confirm that I've heard hamlet's review echoed on numerous occasions.

From everything I've read, I believe the witness vs. protagonist is an apt description.

Sword of the Dales, while not exactly an open sandbox, offers a lot more opportunity for PCs to be, y'know, characters.

Ozreth
2010-03-22, 12:49 PM
I recommend against the Time of Troubles modules. They are horrific railroads.

I played through them a while ago and the only thing I can remember hearing from the DM is "you can't do that . . ." They cast the PC's as witnesses rather than characters.

Sounds like Dragonlance, which is unfortunate.

hamlet
2010-03-22, 02:16 PM
Sounds like Dragonlance, which is unfortunate.

It is.

I'm exaggerating, a little. Yes, it's possible to go "off road" here, but it requires a significant rejiggering by the DM to make it fit in. The modules largely assume that you'll politely follow the clues ABCD . . . Z so that you can get a proper experience of the Time of Troubles. It leaves little or no room for things that the players might decide otherwise.

LibraryOgre
2010-03-22, 02:31 PM
Obligatory plug for system you're not talking about: Take a look at Castles and Crusades. It's an extremely easy convert-on-the-fly, and made of awesome.

However, I'd probably rule-of-thumb most things. Double monster HP, and add their HD to any damage they do. Give them save bonuses equal to their HD for all saves, and skill bonuses equal to their HD for all skills they should have. This makes monsters really tough, but it also makes conversion a snap... no need to muck about with feats or the like.