PDA

View Full Version : The Adventures of Threac Tan'is

Pages : [1] 2

Koury
2010-03-21, 04:43 PM
Waterdeep
Map:
http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/TheCity.jpg1. Civic district
2. Guildhall district
3. Inn/Tavern district
4. Average residential district
5. Dwarven district
6. Garrison
7. Magic district
8. Fine shops
9. Marketplace
10. The Plinth
11. Upper-middle class district
12. Fisher’s wharf/Waterfront
13. Wealthy residential district
14. Caravan district
15. Shantytown
16. Gnome neighborhood
17. Slum/Tenement district
18. Tannery district
19. Warehouse district

Waterdeep is primarily a human city with the best natural harbor on the Sword Coast. The harbor and much of the city are sheltered from storms howling across the Sea of Swords by the soaring rampart of Mount Waterdeep.

The city is divided into “wards” (districts). The southwesternmost is Sea Ward, by far the wealthiest part of Waterdeep. It’s crowded with the palatial residences of “old money” nobles, the grandest shops, and great temples. Adventurers might find patrons in Sea Ward, but can expect to be followed by the city Watch at all times. North Ward, the northeasternmost city district, is almost as wealthy as Sea Ward, and is home to most nobles whose villas aren’t in Sea Ward. It’s also where the majority of wealthy but non-noble Waterdhavians dwell, and is dominated by grandiose “new money”
mansions.

Waterdeep’s center holds three districts. Castle Ward, the civic heart of the city, wraps around the landward side of Mount Waterdeep and contains Castle Waterdeep, Piergeiron’s Palace, and the great open marketplace known simply as “the Market.” Directly east of Castle Ward is Trades Ward, the city’s bustling heart of shopkeeping and artisans’ “finework.” It wraps around the City of the Dead, a walled cemetery that by day serves the living as a green, pleasant park—and is locked up at night due to hauntings.

The city’s south end is occupied by another two districts. South Ward, in southeasternmost Waterdeep, is dominated by warehousing, stabling, and caravan-equipping businesses, and is home to many poor laborers. Dock Ward lies to its west, bounding the north and east sides of the harbor. It’s the fishing, naval shipping, and notoriously lawless “seedy” end of Waterdeep, where the smells and squalor are greatest, drunken sailors brawl, and violence and street crime are most common.

It’s been said Waterdeep’s true religion is making money. No official faith dominates, and almost all are tolerated or (in the case of evil or oppressive deities) worshiped in secret. Temples and private shrines are found throughout the city, and in Trades Ward soars the all-faiths tower known as “the Plinth,” serving as a grand temple for all faiths that lack their own holy building. It’s where “clerics for hire” are most likely to be found.

Leinad
2010-03-22, 02:15 AM
Threac Tan'is grew up the son of a Paladin much as his father did before him. He dearly loved his mother, Inara, who for the greater part of his life was the one who raised him as his father was often off crusading against the evils of the world in the name of Heronius. He had always looked up to his father and had always longed to follow in his footsteps.

Threac had finally come to an age in which he could enter into the order and become a Paladin himself and thus he has found himself seeking out the temple of Heronius in the city of Waterdeep where his Uncle Aerek served as a cleric. Though it had been quite a long journey, Threac was far too excited to be fatigued as he entered the gates of Waterdeep. The city was certainly larger than Threac had imagined it would be.

"The temple is located in the southwestern portion amongst the district known as Sea Ward." His uncle's instructions ruminated in his mind as he began finding his way toward the temple.

Stats
Threac Tan'is (http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=194003)
M Lawful Good Human Paladin, Level 1, Init +7, HP 14/14, Speed 30
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort +6, Ref +3, Will +1, Base Attack Bonus 1
Longsword +5 (1d8, 19-20x2)
Longbow (Arrows (40)) +4 (1d8, x3)
Scalemail , Heavy Steel Shield (+4 Armor, +2 Shield, +3 Dex)
Abilities Str 18, Dex 16, Con 18, Int 16, Wis 13, Cha 15
Condition None

Koury
2010-03-22, 04:29 AM
The city is alive with activity. People of every race walk the streets going about their business. Noone seems to notice you, even in your armor and carrying your weapon. In fact, as you continue toward your destination, you see many other people wearing armor and walking around with exposed, if sheathed, weapons.

Before long, you find yourself walking through the marketplace. The busiest district in any city, the marketplace is filled with people from all walks of life, buying, selling, haggling, arguing, browsing, and otherwise passing the day in commerce. Some marketplaces are open-air bazaars, their shops little more than wooden stands. This one, however, consists of rows of buildings whose storefronts display various wares. Many market districts contain both sorts of places. People are clothed in a riot of colors and styles, and the air smells of cooking food, perfume, ripening fruits, sweat, and animal dung. The din of voices cannot entirely drown out the calls and tunes of street performers hoping to earn a few coppers by entertaining passersby.

As you are walking past the shops, you hear something from the south. You think nothing of it at first, but you hear it again. It sounds like... a scream? Others seem to have heard it as well, as more then one other person looks to the south.

Suddenly, you see multiple people start running into buildings, and you can clearly hear panic in the air. As the mass of people run away from the source of the trouble, a group of three armed men, seemingly city watch, rush past you toward the ruckus.

Leinad
2010-03-22, 04:51 AM
Troubled by the scream and emboldened by the chance to show himself counted amongst the brave, Threac takes a deep breathe and heads toward the source of the commotion.

Thoughts of what the trouble might be rushed through his mind from some petty thief whisking away a damsel's purse to some raging barbarian upset with his meal. When the more dangerous scenarios hit his mind he felt somewhat reassured that the city watch was already responding ahead of him.

[roll0] [roll1] Detect Evil?

Koury
2010-03-22, 05:18 AM
You rush toward the scene, chasing after the armed men you saw a second ago.

As you turn the corner, you see the source of the panic. There are three hyenas that you see running through the streets. The men, swords now drawn, are attempting to encircle them and prevent them from escaping. You notice more then one citizen watching things develop, apparently deciding they were more interested in watching a fight then fleeing from the beasts.

Leinad
2010-03-22, 05:34 AM
Rather than join the onlookers, Threac decides to join the men and makes himself a fourth member of the circle with his sword and shield now at the ready.

"Mind if I join you in this endeavor? Are you lot looking to capture or kill these beast?"

[roll0]

Koury
2010-03-22, 06:20 AM
"Feel free to help, citizen, but know that the city will offer nothing but her thanks in return. We aim to kill these beasts before they do the same to someone else."

The guards move to secure their blockade of the hyenas.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/leinfight2.jpg

Leinad
2010-03-22, 06:29 AM
Being extra light on his feet, Threac moves in towards the Hyena closest to him and takes a swing at the beast.

Hyena3[roll0][roll1]

Koury
2010-03-22, 04:54 PM
Your attack connects, and as it does, the animal lets out a yelp.

The guards, seeing you close in, follow suit. One of the guards attacks the hyena you injured, but misses and the other two attempt to gang up on a different one. Both their strike land, but neither manages to drop the beast.

The uninjured hyena attacks the distracted guard and manages to pull him to the ground while the other two attempt to flee. You see a chance to land another blow as the hyena in front of you tries to rush past you.

Event Log: Guard 3 attacks and misses hyena 3.
Guard 1 and 2 flank and attack hyena 1.
Hyena 2 attacks guard 1 and succeeds at its trip attempt.
Hyena 1 and 3 attempt withdraw actions, though hyena 3 still provokes an AoO from you.

Leinad
2010-03-22, 06:33 PM
As the injured beast turns to flee, Threac swings out once more to keep the beast down. Hearing the cry of one of the guards being taken down by the second Hyena, Threac turns and moves in on that beast and slashes down on the beast hoping to at least get the beasts attention.

Hyena3[roll0] [roll1]
Hyena2[roll2] [roll3]

Koury
2010-03-22, 07:15 PM
Your blow against the fleeing hyena downs it. You rush over to aid the tackled guard and land a blow against the creature.

Another of the guards successfully attacks the now-injured beast, killing it, as the other rushes the hyena attempting to escape. He catches up to it and drives his blade in.

The injured guard, leg bleeding from the bite injury and face and arms scratched fending off the animals attacks, stands up and looks around.

Event Log: Threac AoOs hyena 3, killing it.
Threac attacks hyena 2, injuring it.
Guard 2 kills hyena 2.
Guard 3 charges hyena 1, killing it.
Guard 1 stands up.

The injured guard looks at you and says, "Thanks for the help, stranger. This is the second time in as many weeks we've had animals that aren't native to this area runing amok in the streets."

Another of the guards comes over. "Life is never boring when you're on patrol in this city, that is for sure."

The crowd of onlookers begin to dissapate, seeing that the action here is finished.

Leinad
2010-03-22, 07:33 PM
"It was my pleasure to assist, my name is Threac Tan'is. Might I have the pleasure of your names as well? How's the leg it looks like he got a good piece of you? Curious, did both appearances occur near the same location?"

Hearing the second guards remark, Threac turned, "I'll bet, there are so very many people and things in this city. I can only imagine a bit of trouble comes with it. By the way, I was bound for the temple of Heironius as I aim to prove myself as a Paladin like my father did before me could you maybe assist with the best route there?

Stats
Condition None
Senses Listen: +1; Spot: +1; Search: +3

Koury
2010-03-23, 04:43 AM
"Names? Hulor, Zeves and Bomylo, at your service," says Hulor, the injured guard. "And yeah, I'll be alright. The watch keeps a priest on retainer for us should we get injured in a fight. I'll make it home in time for dinner, all patched up. Of course, if things had gone poorly, that may not have been true. Thank you again for your help."

Zeves speaks next. "Yeah, the recent outbreaks of exotic animals seem to be coming from the warehouse district. The merchants are protesting to our going through warehouse by warehouse to investigate, so we've just been doing our best to protect the citizens while the higher-ups deal with the guilds."

The man identified as Bomylo speaks up, "Thats quite enough Zeves. City business is city business." He turns to you. "So you say you're on your way to becoming a paladin, eh? Good luck friend." He then gives you directions to the Spire of Glory, the temple dedicated to Heironeous.

Leinad
2010-03-23, 05:09 AM
"Thank you, and may Heironius' blessings be upon each of you.", Threac said as he made a short bow out of respect for the three city watchmen. He then went about readjusting his gear and placed his shield upon his back once more, making it easier to carry. It was on to the Spire of Glory, now, and Threac made sure he attended to the directions Zeves had given him as he wanted to be sure to make it there before the sky darkened too much. Whilst he was on his way his mind couldn't help but wonder about the source of the exotic animals and perhaps visiting the warehouse district himself in the next few days.

Koury
2010-03-23, 05:50 AM
Following the directions you were given, to make your way to the Temple District. At first glance, this district appears to be an upper-class residential neighborhood. Many of the towering temples are built of stone, adorned with monolithic pillars and graven images. You walk among them for only a short while before you find your destination.

The Spire of Glory lives up to its name. It is decorated in blue and silver trappings and adorned with images of Heironeous in battle. The wide double doors on the front of the building are engraved with a hand clutching a lightning bolt. The doors are open and you see people going in and out.

Leinad
2010-03-23, 06:00 AM
Threac is utterly fascinated by the craftsmanship and detail that has made the Spire of Glory what it is. He walks through the halls in amazement at each piece of art adorning the place. After a short while, he comes to his senses and tries to seek out someone who might know where he can find his Uncle Aerek.

Koury
2010-03-23, 06:37 AM
You find someone who appears to work at the Spire.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/101106.jpg

Ignore the Pelor symbol. :smallredface:

"Well hello there, son. I am Glorylord Gaeraeth Heldenster. People around here just call me Helden, usually. I'm in charge around here. Is there something I can help you with?"

After asking about your uncle:

"Oh, I am sorry, but your uncle is away on church business to Duvik's Pass. Is there any way I can be of service to you?"

Leinad
2010-03-23, 06:52 AM
"Yes sir, your Emminence, I am aspiring to become a Paladin in the service of our Lord Heironius and my plans were to meet my Uncle here at the temple and lodge with him for the night. I wish to officially commit myself to this path and I've come here to do so. I will do as you instruct, Glorylord."

Threac then lowers his head in respect for this man's office.

Koury
2010-03-23, 07:11 AM
Heldon chuckles to himself.

"A paladin, eh? Hmm... Yes, I know! Normally paladins must successfully complete the Test of Valor before we accept them. The point of the test is to see if you can live up to the Heironean Code. I believe sending you to aid your uncle may be a perfect substitution, however.

A sickness has come unto the simple mining community of Duvik's Pass, poisoning their wells and blighting their crops. Your uncle has been dispatched by the church to descover the cause and aid in any way possible. Head to Duvik's Pass. Lend what aid you can. The people there are suffering. When you return, we'll see about officially inducting you. How does that sound? For today, you may stay in our guest quarters."

The Heironean Code: The Heironean Code consists of three sets of duties:

Duty to the People. This duty stresses courage, justice, mercy, valor, protection of the weak, and faithfulness to church superiors of officer of righteous law.
Duty to the Arch-paladin. This duty stresses obedience to Heironeous himself, devotion to the church, generosity, championing good against evil, putting the needs of the church and the faith above those of mortals.
Duty to a Lady. This duty pertains to the concept of courtly love, devotion to one's beloved, and respect toward all women in general.

This code is known to you already.

Leinad
2010-03-23, 07:21 AM
"That is most gracious of you, Glorylord. I will depart for the pass at first light. Is there anything that you would like me to take along with me? Perhaps a message for my uncle or anything of that sort? Do you know whereabouts within the community that I'll find my uncle?

Koury
2010-03-23, 03:11 PM
"He left just yesterday and should be arriving late this evening. And speaking of..." He looks out one of the magnificent stained glass windows toward the sun. "I must be off friend. I look forward to your successful return."

And with that, he speaks a short word you don't understand as he makes a gesture with his hand. As he does so, he vanishes with a small, barely audible 'pop'.

Leinad
2010-03-23, 03:35 PM
Threac was certainly tired after his journey and the brawl with the hyenas. He proceeded to find his way towards the guest quarters the Glorylord had mentioned. However, the smells from the kitchen drew him in, it had been a long day after all and the extra bit of exercise made his stomach grumble.

After enjoying the fine meal provided he continued on to his room. Removing his equipment he diligently ensured that each piece was clean, polished, and sharpened. It didn't take him long to doze off afterward.

Koury
2010-03-23, 03:49 PM
You sleep well and wake up rested. It is early the next morning.

Leinad
2010-03-23, 03:58 PM
Rising early, Threac dons his armor and prepares his equipment for the journey. The temple had been a most gracious host at the dining hall and had wrapped up a few morsels so he could get an early start without pausing for breakfast. He pauses to say a few short prayers to Heironius before setting off for Duvik's pass. Threac set off determined to prove himself worthy of his Lord.

Koury
2010-03-23, 04:18 PM
Your walk out of the city is uneventful. Most of the people you come across seem to be on business of one sort or another, and no one pay you any particular mind.

You leave the city, headed northwest. The road is well traveled, as it is a major throughfare between Waterdeep and other major cities. It is kept in good repair and the tree lines are kept away from the road on both sides, to disuade would-be bandits from launching surprise attacks on caravans.

As the day progresses, you pass by a few people headed toward Waterdeep. None of them seem interested in conversing with you, however.

You have now been walking for most of the day. Darkness will be falling soon. You could make it to the pass by early morning if you continue through the night, or you can find a place to set up for the night.

Leinad
2010-03-23, 04:31 PM
Determined, Threac is not dissuaded by the darkness and presses forward.

Koury
2010-03-23, 05:12 PM
As night falls, you decide to press on and enter the foothills leading to the pass.

You continue through the darkness, passing two encampments of other travelers, and as the sun begins to rise you see the small city of Duvik's Pass ahead.

You enter the town, but find no one walking the streets. Perhaps it is just too early in the morning, but it seems oddly still nonetheless.

Status Change: You are now fatigued.

Fatigued: A fatigued character can neither run nor charge and takes a -2 penalty to Strength and Dexterity. Doing anything that would normally cause fatigue causes the fatigued character to become exhausted. After 8 hours of complete rest, fatigued characters are no longer fatigued.

Also, gain 225 xp from the hyena fight. My bad on that.

Leinad
2010-03-23, 09:01 PM
Threac is puzzled by the silence and begins searching for any signs of life.

Detect Evil, Taking 20 on search,spot and listen

Stats
Condition Fatigued -2 on str and dex checks

Koury
2010-03-24, 03:54 AM
You wander the streets of the town, casting you magically enhanced gaze around, searching for signs of life. About the third house you pass gives off the sense of an evil aura.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 09:15 AM
Threac sensing the evil readies his blade for combat, but rather than charging into the house he looks for an open window or some other way to get a peak inside.

Fatigued takes the bonus to 1 rather than 3
[roll1]
Detect Evil

Stats
Skills
{table=head] Skill | Key Abl |Skill Mod| Ab Mod | Rank | Misc
Appraise |Int| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Balance |Dex| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Bluff |Cha| +2 | 2 | 0 | 0
Climb |STR| +4 | 4 | 0 | 0
Concentration |Con| +4 | 4 | 0 | 0
Craft(Wpsth) |Int| +4 | 3 | 1 | 0
Decipher Script |Int| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Diplomacy |Cha| +2 | 2 | 0 | 0
Disable Device |Int| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Disguise |Cha| +2 | 2 | 0 | 0
Escape Artist |Dex| +3 | 3 | 0 | 2
Forgery |Int| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Gather Info |Cha| +2 | 2 | 0 | 0
Handle Animal |Cha| +6 | 2 | 4 | 0
Heal |Wis| +5 | 1 | 4 | 0
Hide |Dex| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Intimidate |Cha| +2 | 2 | 0 | 0
Jump |Str| +4 | 4 | 0 | 0
Knowledge (Religion) |Int| +7 | 3 | 4 | 0
Knowledge (Nobility) |Int| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Listen |Wis| +1 | 1 | 0 | 0
Move Silently |Dex| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Open Lock |Dex| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Perform |Cha| +2 | 2 | 0 | 0
Profession |Wis| +1 | 1 | 0 | 0
Ride |Dex| +4 | 3 | 1 | 0
Search |Int| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Sense Motive |Wis| +3 | 1 | 2 | 0
Sleight of Hand |Dex| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Spellcraft |Int| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
Spot |Wis| +1 | 1 | 0 | 0
Survival |Wis| +1 | 1 | 0 | 0
Swim |Str| +4 | 4 | 0 | 0
Tumble |Dex| +5 | 3 | 2 | 0
Use Magic Device |Cha| +2 | 2 | 0 | 0
Use Rope |Dex| +3 | 3 | 0 | 0
[/table]

Leinad
2010-03-24, 09:45 AM
Probably should have rolled initiative, just in case.
[roll0]

Koury
2010-03-24, 01:57 PM
You peer into the front window of the small house. You see no one in the main room and you see one door leading into what appears to be the only other room in the house.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 03:02 PM
Threac ponders the situation as he moves to the front door, he concentrates on sensing the evil aura within. He keeps his shield poised in front of him, just in case someone or something decides to come out the door.

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-24, 03:15 PM
You hone in on the aura, focusing your spell on it.

There is only one aura, and it is of faint power.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 03:36 PM
Threac tries the handle of the door.

Koury
2010-03-24, 03:41 PM
The door begins to open, but is stopped short by a chain lock. The door is open by about an inch.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 03:56 PM
Threac decides to break the chain on the lock.

[roll0]
Such a detailed and lengthy post, I know.

Koury
2010-03-24, 04:05 PM
You take a short step back and set yourself. With one mighty kick to the door you rip the chain anchor from the door frame and the door flies open.

You hear nothing in the far room.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 04:13 PM
Threac moves forward into the room and scans over it briefly before trying the second door. His grip tightens on his sword in order to settle his nerves.

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-24, 04:15 PM
The interior of the house is nothing special. It is as you would expect it to be, perhaps slightly cleaner.

The interior door is unlocked.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 04:17 PM
Threac opens the door and peers in.

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-24, 04:18 PM
This room, obviously a bedroom, appears empty at first glance. You quickly notice, however, a figure laying in the bed, seemingly asleep.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 04:29 PM
Threac allowed his sword to relax a bit to seem non-threatening, but still within his grasp. Threac then kicked the bedpost gently, "Wake up... There is an evil presence within this room."

Koury
2010-03-24, 04:36 PM
The person stirs as you kick his bedpost. As he does you notice he is a human, and looks to be about 60 years old.

He suddenly bolts upright as he realizes someone is in his room!

"Gah! Who the hell are you?! What the" He starts coughing profusely.

*cough cough* "What the hell are you *cough* What the hell are you doing in here?!"

Upon hearing your words:

"Of that I have no doubt! *cough cough* To be sure, I am looking right at it." he says, staring at you.

He begins coughing more.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 04:50 PM
"No Sir, I am here to assist with the disease that is affecting this village. I apologize for my zealousness, but I sensed an evil aura emanating from this room. I mean only to threaten that which besets this village."

[roll0] I'm sure I'll need it.

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-24, 04:59 PM
After recovering from his coughing, he says "Another religious type come to save the day, eh? How many of you guys are they gonna send? We just had one arrive yesterday. So *cough* what is this evil aura you claim to have discovered? And how exactly did you get in here anyway?"

Leinad
2010-03-24, 05:13 PM
"I am in training and I was to meet up with the one who has gone before me. As for the aura, let me see if I can't get a better fix on its source." Caedmon concentrates on detecting the source of the aura.

Detect Evil for the full 3 rounds

Koury
2010-03-24, 05:16 PM
The aura is, indeed, eminating from the old man.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 05:21 PM
"Sir, I'm afraid to tell you that the aura is emanating about your person. Might you have an explanation for this?"

Koury
2010-03-24, 05:26 PM
"An explaination? An EXPLA *cough* EXPLAINTION?! You break into my house, after scanning it with some sort of magic against my will, declare me evil and ask for an explaination?!"

The old man is now visibly riled up as he stands up and begins to move past you toward his living room.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 05:31 PM
Threac steps into the door frame preventing the man from entering the other room. "Yes sir, an explanation if you please," Threac declared.

Leinad
2010-03-24, 05:38 PM
[roll0]

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-24, 05:45 PM
Seeing you block his path, he stops. He lowers his voice and changes his tone.

"Son, I have no idea why your magics work the way they work. Maybe you can ask that other fellow who came yesterday about it. You say that you're here to help the town recover from this disease, this Burning Plague, as they call it. How exactly does harrassing an old man help you accomplish that?"

Leinad
2010-03-24, 05:48 PM
"Merely looking for the source, sir. Surely a plague like this was caused by some work of evil. Perhaps, if you tell me where I can find the old man you speak of I will let you be."

Koury
2010-03-24, 05:55 PM
"Aerek, I believe, is the follows name. Hes most likely staying at the inn, if I were to guess. Given how contagious this plague has proven to be, however, he could have chosen to make camp outside town though. Wouldn't blame him if he did."

He gives you directions to the inn.

"Now will you kindly leave my house?"

Leinad
2010-03-24, 06:00 PM
"Very well." Threac followed the directions to the inn, but he did keep an eye on the old man as he left the premises.

Koury
2010-03-25, 04:59 AM
You find your way to the aptly named Duvik's Pass Inn with no trouble. You pass not one single other person on your way there, however.

The door is unlocked.

Leinad
2010-03-25, 09:57 AM
"Where is everybody?" Threac thought to himself, "Perhaps the disease has them all laid up in their beds?"

Threac opened the inn door and walked in glancing around before heading to the front desk for some help.

Koury
2010-03-25, 02:35 PM
The common room of the inn is empty, save for a single person, clad in armor bearing the symbol of a lightning bolt clenched in a fist. He notices you as you walk in and stares at you for a second.

"...Threac? You've made it already?"

Leinad
2010-03-25, 03:46 PM
"Uncle!", Threac dashed over to embrace his uncle. "Yes, and I'm quite tired for it. I was eager to assist and perhaps a bit too eager." Threac then told him about the old man within the village and sheepishly apologized for his zealousness. "Where is everybody it seems far too vacant? are they all at homes ill with the disease?"

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-25, 04:02 PM
"Son, one of the things you must learn as a paladin is that while evil must be opposed, being evil is not, in and of itself, a justification to attack or harm someone. We will go and make right what you have done soon enough. We have slightly more pressing issues at the moment.

This town has long been a waystop for travelers and adventurers seeking to rest aching limbs and drown painful memories within her gates. Moreover, it has also gained attention recently as a potential power in the area’s commerce, due to a discovery of substantial silver deposits buried in the mountains nearby. Over the past three years, the men of Duvik’s Pass have burrowed into the ground seeking the wealth therein. Able-bodied folk from neighboring villages flocked to the town, hoping to lend their strength within the mines and garner some share of the prize.

Hope and industry turned to despair and potential ruin with the advent of the Burning Plague four months ago. It began quietly enough, with the miners returning home from their work at nightfall complaining of blistering sores and an unbearable thirst. Shortly thereafter, the town’s livestock was decimated by an unknown illness and her crops began to wither. The elders of Duvik’s Pass declared that the well water had been soured by an unknown disease, but by then the Burning Plague had already begun claiming the young
and the sickly.

Recently most of the able bodied men of this town went into the mine in an attempt to discover what has happened. They have not yet returned, though the townspeople hold out hope that they are still alive and well, all the while praying for an end to this sickness.

This is where we come in, Threac. I was going to head into the mine yesterday but received a Sending that you were on your way, so I waited for you. We shall venture into the mine together, nephew, and find the men of this town. With luck, they are still alive. After that, we must discover what is causing this plague.

Do you have any questions so far?"

Leinad
2010-03-25, 04:13 PM
"Simply, when do we depart?"

Koury
2010-03-25, 04:15 PM
With those words, your uncle lets go a boisterous laugh.

"Thats the spirit! If you are prepared, we depart immediatly!"

The two of you head into the mountains, toward the entrance of the mine.

A cool breeze drifts down from the towering peaks of the Serpentcoil Mountains as you behold the entrance to the caverns. The frost-rimed ground is littered with tools, picks and shovels, some of which protrude from soft banks of snow. A single darkened shaft leads into the depths of the mine ahead. The dirt path beneath its wooden support structure is covered with stone debris, a few pieces of which occasionally glint with the slightest hint of ore. No light issues forth from the tunnel. Burnt-out torches are strewn across the floor, their brackets torn from the shaft walls. Behind you, the worn road leads back through the crags to the valley below. Aside from the quiet whistling of the wind, complete silence fills the small clearing within the mountains.

Leinad
2010-03-25, 04:31 PM
Threac simply follows behind his uncle keeping silent and following his lead.

Koury
2010-03-25, 04:39 PM
"Hmm, we'll need a source of light. Come here, newphew."

Assuming no resistance from you, he casts Light on your holy symbol. With the improved light, you can see that the wooden supports to the tunnel are chipped and torn, as if having been damaged in recent battle. Further examination with a light source reveals that they are also stained with blood.

"This is not good, Threac"

Leinad
2010-03-25, 05:10 PM
Uncle can you tell how recent these stains were made? Don't suppose this means we may have a battle ahead?

Threac was a mix of emotions. Sadness for those whose bloods were shed, excited to be out in the thick of doing good, fear for what they may be facing soon, and emboldened by the resolve to punish the evil below.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
Detect Evil

Koury
2010-03-26, 02:34 AM
"I have no way of telling how recent these stains are, but we may in fact have a battle ahead. Stay on your guard, nephew."

With those words your uncle draws his longsword and readies his shield. The two of you advance into the mine.

The tunnel opens into a small, roughly rectangular chamber. Scattered chunks of silver ore surround an overturned pair of wooden carts. The lower half of what appears to be a human body juts out from beneath one of the cart’s edges. It shows no signs of movement. Dried blood is smeared across the northern wall in several places. Exits lead to the west and the east.

Leinad
2010-03-26, 09:26 AM
Threac dashes over to the human body beneath the cart and examines it for any signs of life. "Uncle, there's a body under here."

[roll0]
[roll1]
If by chance moving the cart can help the victim a strength check...
[roll2]
Surivival, Basic Knowledge,Wisdom whichever is more applicable to identifying what caused the human's injuries.
[roll3]

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 10:26 AM
Your uncle rushes over to help. The person seems to be dead, sadly. As you examine the body to determine cause of death, you break a small string attached to it and there is instantly a deafeningly loud noise.

Fort save DC 15 please

Leinad
2010-03-26, 10:57 AM
[roll0]
Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 11:01 AM
Status Change Deafened
A deafened character cannot hear. She takes a -4 penalty on initiative checks, automatically fails Listen checks, and has a 20% chance of spell failure when casting spells with verbal components. Characters who remain deafened for a long time grow accustomed to these drawbacks and can overcome some of them.

Leinad
2010-03-26, 11:07 AM
Threac jumps back at the crashing sound and instinctively grasps at his ears. "I...," Barely able to hear his voice repeats himself, "I...," now certain of the loss of hearing, "I can't hear very well, Uncle"

Stats
Condition Fatigued, Deafened
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 11:16 AM
Your uncle seems to do the same thing you are doing. He points to his ears and shakes his head. He then points to the east hall, then the west hall, then the exit and looks at you, seemingly expecting an answer.

Leinad
2010-03-26, 11:19 AM
Threac ponders the decisions for a moment then points to the west. "Let's try that direction" he says reflexively, but knowing it most likely won't be heard.

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 11:24 AM
Your uncle nods and the two of you begin down the short hall. It ends with a closed wooden door. It seems to be unlocked.

Leinad
2010-03-26, 11:27 AM
Threac pauses a few moments in an attempt to detect if evil resides on the other side of the door.

Full 3 rounds, if no evil is detected he simply opens the door and has a look around.

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 11:41 AM
You detect four distinct auras on the other side of the door.

Leinad
2010-03-26, 11:46 AM
Threac signals to his Uncle that he believes there are four beings within the room and makes that signal even clearer by drawing his sword and preparing his shield before pushing the door open.

Koury
2010-03-26, 12:15 PM
This large, square room houses four long wooden tables, each with a bench on either side. On top of the tables lie a number of wooden bowls and eating utensils. In the southeast corner of the room, a small stewpot steams over a fireplace carved into the floor. A pungent odor hangs in the air.

There are four kobolds here, all armed and apparently expecting you, as the moment you open the door, four crossbow bolts fly at you.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/MineBattle.jpg

[Combat Log] [roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

[roll8]

Leinad
2010-03-26, 12:29 PM
Threac lets out a scream in an effort to ignore the pain from the bolts as he charges towards the nearest kobold on the western side. His sword readied he lunges against the kobold.

Kobold2[roll0][roll1]
Stats
M Lawful Good Human Paladin, Level 1, Init +7, HP 4/14, Speed 30
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 12:53 PM
Your uncle, seeing the grievious wounds dealt by the arrows, rushes to your side and casts a spell on you. As he does so, your wounds are healed completly.

The kobold you attacks is dropped instantly as your sword cleaves through his studded leather armor and into him.

The others drop their bows and pull out spears and charge! Two advance on you as the third goes around the table and attacks Aerek.

You deflect the first spear with your shield and manage to parry the second spear with your sword.

Your uncle is less lucky, however, as the kobold finds a weak point in his armor. He manages to turn himself to negate the worst of the damage, however.

[Combat Log]
[roll=Damage]1dd6-2
[roll1]
[roll2]

[roll3]
[roll4]

Leinad
2010-03-26, 01:02 PM
Threac pushes the attack and strikes out at the kobold who attempted to strike him last.

[roll0][roll1]
Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 01:10 PM
Your uncle turns to face the kobold that struck him and lunges forward, impaling the creature.

The kobold you attack ducks your blow and attempts to lodge his spear in you once more, attacking you in unison with the third kobold.

A quick side step is all it takes for you to avoid the attacks, however, and you now find yourself in an advantageous position.

[Combat Log] Aerek's Attack vs K3
[roll0]
[roll1]

K1 and K2 vs Threac
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

If alive, K3 vs Aerek
[roll6]
[roll7]

Leinad
2010-03-26, 01:16 PM
Avoiding the attack, Threac makes another strike at the Kobold.

[roll0];[roll1]

Koury
2010-03-26, 01:19 PM
The last remaining kobold, seeing his allies fall before him, drops his weapon and falls to the floor, hands over his head.

Leinad
2010-03-26, 01:28 PM
Threac raises his blade instinctively, but pauses and looks towards his uncle to get his approval or disapproval on the blow.

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 01:35 PM
Your uncle raises his hand, indicating for you to stop, and pulls a rope out from his pack.

He stows his weapon and approaches the cowering kobold, tapping him on the shoulder.

The kobold looks up and upon seeing the rope, offers no resistance to being tied up. He seems almost to be relieved at being tied up.

Aerek spends the better part of two whole minutes tying the monster up. While he does that he motions for you to search the bodies.

Gain 250 XP

Leinad
2010-03-26, 01:40 PM
Threac peruses the bodies looking for anything of interest.

[roll0]

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 01:44 PM
You find [roll0] gold among the dead bodies. You also find a beautiful oval-shaped amethyst and an iron key on one of the bodies.

Leinad
2010-03-26, 01:53 PM
Threac shows his uncle his findings before securing them away. Next, he heads over to the hallway extending to the north.

I believe the map indicates a door to the north there. So detect evil for 18 seconds. Should be north since we approached the chamber from the east.

Stats
Wealth:64 gold
Current XP: 475
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 02:11 PM
Your scan indicates 5 more auras in the next room, similar to the ones you found in this room.

Leinad
2010-03-26, 02:25 PM
Threac retrieves the key and tries it on the door.

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 02:46 PM
It works. The door is now unlocked.

Leinad
2010-03-26, 03:18 PM
Threac rushes into the door looking for an acceptable target. Thinking that he'll have the element of surprise seeing as how the door was locked, they should be expecting their fellow kobolds that are now dispatched.

[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 03:22 PM
This long, narrow room is lined with shelves loaded with foodstuffs and supplies. Heavy burlap sacks are piled atop one another in the corners of
the chamber. A few have been torn open, leaving spills of oats and flour along the floor. Several barrels stand in a cluster near the far northern wall.

There are five kobolds awaiting in this room, along with a large weasel. The kobolds crossbows are lowered, but loaded.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/MineBattle2.jpg

Leinad
2010-03-26, 03:40 PM
Threac notices the crossbows and sees that he'll not be able to close the gap in time, so he finds himself some cover behind the shelf and drops to the floor.

That'd be the western bookshelf.
Prone-
The character is on the ground. An attacker who is prone has a -4 penalty on melee attack rolls and cannot use a ranged weapon (except for a crossbow). A defender who is prone gains a +4 bonus to Armor Class against ranged attacks, but takes a -4 penalty to AC against melee attacks.

Koury
2010-03-26, 03:55 PM
Aerek, seing the same thing as you, takes cover behind the door while he casts a spell, invoking the powers of good. He begins to glow with a silver light.

The weasel advances to right beside you and attacks, as the kobolds all fire at you.

The bolts all fly wide, but the weasel is able to grab a hold of you. It attaches itself to you, and is now draining your blood at an alarming rate.

[Combat Log] Kobolds Attacks (need a 20 to hit)
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]

Weasel
[roll6]
[roll7]

Leinad
2010-03-26, 04:10 PM
Threac struggles to get the weasel off of him and tries to gut the weasel with his sword.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Stats
Condition Fatigued, Deafened, Prone
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 04:23 PM
Your sword strikes true, but the weasel refuses to yeild.

Your uncle, seeing you in trouble, focuses for a second before the light surrounding him forms itself into two bolts of light hurtling at the weasel. One smashes into the wall behind you, but the other hits the weasel directly. Despite this blow, the weasel tears at you still.

The kobolds reload their crossbows and fire another volly, this time at both Threac and Aerek. Again, all the shots miss.

[Combat Log] Aerek vs Weasel
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Kobolds vs Aerek
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Kobolds vs Threac
[roll8]
[roll9]
[roll10]

If Weasel survives Aereks spell
Threac takes [roll11] Con damage.

Leinad
2010-03-26, 04:44 PM
Threac sneers as the Weasel persists, dropping his blade he grabs at the weasel.

[roll0] [roll1]
Hope, that's right.

Stats
Condition Fatigued, Deafened, Prone, Weaseled
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 04:51 PM
Yay, grappling!

Your roll counts as the touch attack required to initiate grappling. It was successful.

Opposed grapple check time! 1d20 + STR + BAB

[roll0]

Leinad
2010-03-26, 04:55 PM
Opposed Grapple Attack
[roll0]

Koury
2010-03-26, 05:04 PM
You manage to grab a hold of the weasel and, using your whole body, slam it into the floor. It releases its grip, now knocked out.

Seeing you that you're now free of the weasels grasp, Aerek charges the kobold line. He kills one of the kobolds outright as he hits their line.

The kobolds drop their crossbows as he charges and counter attack with their spears. Most of their attacks are deflected by Aereks armor, but one manages to get through, dealing damage.

Aerek is in wounded condition.

[Combat Log] Aerek vs Kobold
[roll0] +2 for charge
[roll1]

Kobolds vs Aerek (5th attack only if Aerek misses)
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]
[roll5]
[roll6]
[roll7]

Leinad
2010-03-26, 05:19 PM
The attack on his Uncle only serves to anger him. Threac grasps his sword as he lifts himself from the floor and is poised to fight. He lets out a scream showing the kobolds he is not ready to cower.

[roll0] oh +4 for size mod.

Stats
Condition Fatigued, Deafened, Prone
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-26, 05:30 PM
The kobolds, seeing you stand up, make a break for the door. Aerek, though he has an opening against the kobolds to strike, stays his blade, opting to attempt to trip one instead. He misses, however.

The kobolds stay out of your range as they retreat.

[Combat Log] [roll0]

[roll1]
[roll2]

Leinad
2010-03-26, 08:36 PM
Threac rushes to his Uncle's side and aids him in whatever way he can.

[roll0], Should have been +5

Koury
2010-03-27, 05:26 PM
After giving it a look over, you see his wounds are not life endangering.

Gain 550 XP.

Leinad
2010-03-29, 04:52 PM
Glad that his uncle should recover fairly easily he moves to push forward. "Then we press on," Threac declares as he heads further north in the direction the kobolds fled.

Koury
2010-03-29, 05:04 PM
OOCThe room is a dead end. The kobolds fled towards the entrance of the mine. All thats left here is a kobold corpse or two, some barrels and shelves and a dead dire weasel.

Leinad
2010-03-29, 07:06 PM
take 20 searching barrels and corpses. Then head back to the fork taking the opposite hallway.

ps posting from Disneyland on an iPhone

Koury
2010-03-31, 04:07 PM
Barrel 1: A cask of high quality wine. It remains almost full.

Barrel 2: Filled with strips of dried beef jerky, this barrel holds nothing of value.

Barrel 3: This barrel stores the lamp oil formerly used in the mines’ lanterns.

Barrel 4: A half-consumed quantity of strong ale.

Barrel 5: Filled with the remainders of a few wheels of cheese and the rats who have been busily consuming them. You descover that the bottom of the barrel is in fact false, concealing a hidden compartment. Within the compartment hides a small cloth bag containing a moonstone, a gold brooch with a jade inlay, and three pieces of moss agate. Additionally, the bag holds 24 gp and a vial with a potion.

Barrel 6: Holds salt for use as a spice and preservative.

Kobolds: [roll0] gp total.

Leinad
2010-03-31, 04:51 PM
After securing the useable items, Threac and his Uncle head back through the halls and this time take the eastern passage. As he presses onwards he feels an aura of divine grace fall upon him.

[roll0][roll1]
Stats
M Lawful Good Human Paladin, Level 2, Init +7, HP 28/28, Speed 30
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort +9, Ref +5, Will +3, Base Attack Bonus 2
Longsword +6 (1d8, 19-20x2)
Longbow (Arrows (40)) +5 (1d8, x3)
Condition
Wealth:140 gold
Current XP: 1025
Skills
Handle Animal |Cha| +7 | 2 | 5 | 0
Knowledge (Religion) |Int| +8 | 3 | 5 | 0
Ride |Dex| +6 | 3 | 1 | 2
Sense Motive |Wis| +6 | 1 | 5 | 0
[/table]

Koury
2010-03-31, 05:18 PM
When you're 40 feet down the slope leading from thunderstone trap room, the incline suddenly becomes much steeper. A soft blue luminescence glows in the distance farther down the ramp where, 20 feet later, the tunnel opens into a larger cavern.

As you walk forward, a section of floor you stand on shifts!

Reflex save, please.

Leinad
2010-03-31, 05:52 PM
Reflex save
[roll0]

Koury
2010-03-31, 06:04 PM
You leap back just in time as the section of floor you were standing on swings open on a hinge, revealing a deep pit. It seems about 20 feet deep.

Your uncle looks at you, surprised by your agility.

Leinad
2010-03-31, 06:17 PM
Threac smiles at the look on his Uncle's face being just as surprised in himself. He continues onward, but pauses just after the pit to take a few seconds at detecting evil.

3 rounds of detect evil. [roll0][roll1][roll2]

Koury
2010-03-31, 06:29 PM
You register nothing on your scan. You continue into the cavern ahead.

This enormous cavern extends upward for at least 100 feet, climbing high into the bowels of the mountain. Glowing blue-green lichens creep across the rough walls and man-sized stalagmites protruding from the ground in this area, their faint light growing and then diminishing again every few seconds. The illumination occasionally highlights small flecks of silver, which glitter in the face of the great western wall of the cave. Several cables hang down from the edge of a wide hollow within that wall. The hollow penetrates deep into the west face of the cavern and begins about 20 feet above where you stand. The air here feels cool and damp.

Leinad
2010-04-01, 09:50 AM
Threac looks to his uncle for a moment then motions at the cables leading into the hollow. He grasps the cable and gives it a good tug before attempting to climb it.

[roll0];[roll1];[roll2];[roll3]

Stats
Condition
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-01, 01:31 PM
As you begin to attach to the cable, a group of kobolds appears at the ledge. Among them, you notice the survivors who ran from you in your last fight.

One of the kobolds is clearly the leader of the others. He sees you trying to climb up and calls down to you in a high pitched voice "Stop human! Why you hunt us so? This is our home. Leave us alone!"

Leinad
2010-04-01, 01:50 PM
"We are not here to hunt you down. It was your warriors who ambushed us as we came down to investigate the cause of a plague affecting the settlement above ground. Being shot by arrows is not pleasant and I'd imagine you'd have reacted the same way."

"Now, since this is your home perhaps you could assist by showing the source of the affliction. Or shall we deal with you as part of it?"

[roll0] [roll1] [roll2]
+2 for synergy bonus on the diplomacy due to Sense motive at 5 ranks.

Stats
Condition
Skills
Diplomacy |Cha| +4 | 2 | 0 | 2
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-01, 02:01 PM
"Keep your threats to yourself. You humans aren't the only ones affected by the sickness. Our tribe has fallen ill also. Leave us in peace and we will show you the way to the demon who is causing this."

Leinad
2010-04-01, 02:10 PM
"Let me first express my condolences for those you have lost and for those still suffering. Secondly, I thank you for your assistance in showing us the way. What do you all know of this Demon?"

[roll0]

Koury
2010-04-01, 02:24 PM
"Only that he lives to the east. Stay your blades, I am sending N'trak to show you the way."

He motions to one of the kobolds and he begins to climb down the cable. Your uncles hand moves the the hilt of his blade, but follows your lead.

Assuming you allow him to pass, he leads you to a blank featureless section of wall. He bends over and moves a rock from the floor, revealing what looks to be a pressure pad. He steps on it and the section of wall grinds down, revealing a path leading further down into the mountain. The kobold retreats as soon as he presses the switch.

Leinad
2010-04-01, 02:35 PM
As the Kobold came approached Threac motioned with his hand in a downward manner letting his Uncle know to stay his blade. After seeing the Kobold activate the pressure plate, Threac first looked around for anything that was the approximate weight of a kobold or greater that he could move onto the pressure plate.

Take 20 on the search for 24...
Sensing the motives of N'trak
[roll0]

Stats
Condition
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-01, 02:39 PM
It isn't difficult to find a rock weighing about 20 lbs. As for the kobold, you don't need a roll to know that hes wary of not only you and your uncle, but also whatever is beyond the door.

Leinad
2010-04-01, 02:50 PM
Before heading into the eastern passage, Threac pauses to write the word or symbol for demon in the dirt for his Uncle to see what they'd be up against. Threac looked to his uncle for approval before pressing onward.

Stats
Condition
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-01, 03:07 PM
Aerek nods and draws his sword, following you as you advance.

As you walk forward, you begin to feel an uncomfortable heat emanating from the room ahead. Although initially mild when you first begin feeling its effects, it reaches sweltering intensity by the time you reach the entryway.

Waves of heat wash through the cave, thickening the air and making breathing difficult. This small, bowl-shaped cavern’s floor is littered with humanoid corpses. Rats skitter through the sea of bodies within the sunken floor, pausing occasionally to nibble at a choice morsel. A host of their brethren lie nearby on their backs, some of them still twitching with a few remnants of life. A tunnel’s opening is visible in the eastern wall of this chamber and, in the distance, the sound of rushing water can be heard.

Leinad
2010-04-01, 03:16 PM
Hoping that the tunnel opening will prove to be a more hospitable environment, Threac pushes forward increasing his pace to get out of the heat.

[roll0];[roll1]

Koury
2010-04-01, 06:40 PM
As you and Aerek press through the chamber, some of the bodies begin to rise! You quickly find yourself surrounded by kobold zombies.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Minebattle3.jpg

Map Note: North is to the right.

[roll0]

Leinad
2010-04-02, 01:47 AM
Threac motions for his Uncle to follow him closely towards the opening in the tunnel in order to get at the zombies from a better position. He makes sure that he puts himself in between the zombie closest to the opening and his Uncle before taking a swing at the Zombie.

Threac takes his steps to the east then puts himself in the square southeast of zombie3 and directs his uncle to take the square directly south taking a path that doesn't instigate AoO's. I assume no need to roll initiative with my bonus being greater than the zombie's roll.

1d20=6
[roll0]

Stats
Condition
Skills
[/table]

Leinad
2010-04-02, 01:50 AM
Roll correction
[roll0]

Koury
2010-04-02, 06:36 AM
Your sword strikes true but despite the damage you deal, the zombie is still up and fighting.

Aerek moves to your back and grabs his holy symbol. He holds it out like a weapon at the undead and you can feel him channel positive energy through it.

The undead recoil for the slightest second before resuming their attack.

[Combat Log] [roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-04-02, 06:50 AM
The two far zombies charge, one at each of you. Another closes with Aerek while the wounded zombie slams it's fists into you.

The wounded one misses, but the force behind the charging zombies attack sends you reeling. You see your uncle suffer from the same attack as you.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/Minebattle3-1.jpg

[Combat Log] Zombies vs Threac
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]

Zombie vs Aerek
[roll4]
[roll5]

Leinad
2010-04-02, 10:17 AM
Threac grits his teeth as the fist from the zombie slams into his chest, but raises his sword once again slashing down at the creature.

Attacking Zombie3 once more.
[roll0]
[roll1]

Stats
M Lawful Good Human Paladin, Level 2, Init +7, HP 25/28, Speed 30
Condition
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-02, 02:35 PM
Your uncle, still brandishing his symbol, redoubles his efforts to channel positive energy at the zombies. As he does, you can feel the energy burst forward, eminating from him.

The zombified kobolds turn to run as fast as their undead bodies will allow, but as they try, they quickly turn to dust.

Your uncle looks at you an smiles, apparently pleased with himself.

[Combat Log] [roll0]
[roll1]

Leinad
2010-04-02, 02:46 PM
Threac turned and smiled at his uncle patting him on the back before heading further east into the tunnel corridor. He had a feeling that the next obstacle would be a bit more difficult.

[roll0];[roll1];[roll2]

Koury
2010-04-02, 03:21 PM
You press on deeper into the mine. You soon find yourself in a massive cavern. A single, jagged pillar of rock lined with glowingblue-green moss emerges from the depths of the pool within the center of this cavern. Water courses down its side from a font near its tip, cascading into the pool below. The pool feeds a wide stream that flows rapidly along the length of the room and then under the rock wall at the southern end of the cave. Several glyphs are carved deep into the stone face of the pillar, their outlines just visible beneath the light of the moss. An eerie sense of discomfort pervades this place.

The cavern is about 70 feet wide by 120 feet long. The pillar in the center is fairly massive, having a 10-foot radius and stretching 20 feet up into the air. The pillar can be climbed by way of a narrow trail, about 2 feet wide, that loops around it, with the exception being the area smoothed over by the waterfall from the springs.

There is an orc, armed and armored, praying on the far side of the pool. As you walk in, he stands and draws his weapon, shouting something in Orc.

[roll0]

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/MineBattleFinal-1.jpg

OOCGain 300 XP for the zombies. Also, Fort save please.

Leinad
2010-04-02, 03:33 PM
Rolls
[roll0]; [roll1]

Leinad
2010-04-02, 03:47 PM
Threac had only heard of orcs in stories told by his father and uncle. He didn't understand what the orc said, but he had a good idea of what it meant. Seeing some distance between them, yet, Threac chose to draw out his longbow and open fire.

[roll0];[roll1]
BAB of +1 allows me to draw it as a free action, right?

Koury
2010-04-02, 03:57 PM
OOC BAB +1 allows you to draw for free as part of a move action.

Your arrow flies true, but fails to penetrate his armor, falling harmlessly to the ground. Your uncle begins closing distance.

The orc casts a spell, directed at Threac, but stays where he is.

Will Save please. Also, another Fort save.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/MineBattleFinal-2.jpg

Leinad
2010-04-02, 04:13 PM
Threac advances behind his uncle and takes another shot at the orc.

[roll0];[roll1]

[roll2][roll3]

Stats
Condition
Current XP: 1325
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-02, 04:28 PM
Will Save failed. You are ovecome by a sense of dread and are now Shaken.

Shaken:A shaken character takes a -2 penalty on attack rolls, saving throws, skill checks, and ability checks.

Fort Save failed. You've contracted the Burning Plague. Take [roll0] Con damage.

Your shot flies wide as you fight the sense of fear you are feeling.

The orc taunts you as you miss, saying in a snarling voice "Whats wrong human? You're not scared, are you? Bwahaha."

Your uncle continues closing distance, casting a spell on himself as he does so.

The orc brandishes a stone symbol at Aerek. "Gruumsh demands that you halt." Suddenly your uncles body becomes rigid and he stops moving. The orc lets loose another laugh as he sees his spell take hold.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/MineBattleFinal-3.jpg

Leinad
2010-04-02, 04:33 PM
Threac tries to shake himself back into the fight advancing on his foe and attempting to fire once more.

[roll0][roll1]

Koury
2010-04-02, 04:41 PM
The orc closes distance with your uncle. He sees his holy symbol as he does so and says "Heironeous?! Bwahaha. It seems you've picked the wrong horse, human!"

With those words he grab your uncles rigid body and throws it into the pool. Your uncle sinks instantly under the weight of his armor. The orc then turns to face you.

http://i915.photobucket.com/albums/ac357/KouryCasey/MineBattleFinal-4.jpg

Leinad
2010-04-02, 04:52 PM
Threac, now clearly worried about his uncle, drop his bow and brandishes his sword as he advances on the orc cleric he aims for the damnable stone symbol in its grasp.

[roll0]

Koury
2010-04-02, 04:59 PM
The orc is caught off guard by the target of your attack, but manages to pull it out of your reach in time.

"You will NOT destroy this." He is clearly agitated at what you attempted. He begins casting another spell, attempting to keep his defenses up while doing so, but you see an opening.

AoO from you before I resolve the spell.

Leinad
2010-04-02, 05:03 PM
AoO [roll0]; [roll1]

Koury
2010-04-02, 05:08 PM
To take a shot at him, but miss. He completes his spell and lunges forward, trying to touch you. You dodge out of the way in time, however.

Leinad
2010-04-02, 05:10 PM
Threac lunges at the orc once more growing more determined with every miss.

[roll0][roll1]

Koury
2010-04-02, 05:46 PM
The orc deflects your attack with his shield and attempts once again to touch his hand, pulsing with foul magical energy, to you.

You are an even match, it seems, as you manage to parry him once again. In the forefront of your mind you realize every second spent trading blows with this beast is a second your uncle is spending at the bottom of the water, however.

Leinad
2010-04-02, 09:00 PM
Threac tucked his shoulder behind his shield and charged forward attempting to send the evil cleric into the pool of water.

[roll0] bullrush

Stats
Condition Shaken, Burning Plague(-2 Con)
Languages:Common, Dwarven, Gnome, Elven, Celestial
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-03, 03:48 AM
As you charge him, he manages to land his touch attach against you. Will save, please.

Reguardless, you manage you successfully push him back into the water. He is now prone and flailing about. He manages to swim to the ledge and tried to pull himself up. You get an AoO as he does so.

Leinad
2010-04-03, 04:35 AM
Threac surges with indignation as he bears down on the evil cleric.

[roll0];
Smite Evil![roll1];[roll2]

Leinad
2010-04-03, 04:42 AM
Missing once more, Threac slashes down at the orc again this time with a brief prayer to Heironius on his lips.

[roll0];[roll1]

Alright, this is getting downright frustrating.

Koury
2010-04-03, 05:10 PM
The orc, now on dry land again, stands up, drawing yet another attack from you. He draws his mace and swings, yelling "It is time to end this, intruder! Gruumsh, hear my call!"

His mace connects directly to your chest and you stagger back briefly. Take 11 damage.

Leinad
2010-04-03, 05:43 PM
Threac takes another swing at the orc as he rises from the ground.

[roll0];[roll1]

Stats
M Lawful Good Human Paladin, Level 2, Init +7, HP 14/28, Speed 30
Skills
[/table]

Leinad
2010-04-03, 05:49 PM
Threac pauses a moment before squaring up on his opponent once more and delivers another attack to his foe.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-04-06, 12:37 AM
The orc steps back and casts a spell. As he does so, a splash comes from the pool. Aerek surfaces and gasps for air.

Leinad
2010-04-06, 01:28 AM
Spotting his uncle arise from the pool was certainly somewhat of a relief to Threac. As the orc began casting another spell Threac stepped forward to take another swing at him.

"Pernicious and malignant beast your villainy will not prevail. You and your damnable god will fall!!"

, [roll1]
[roll2]

For the possible save required- [roll3]

Stats
Skills
Diplomacy |Cha| +6 | 2 | 2 | 2
Knowledge (Nobility) |Int| +5 | 3 | 2 | 0
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-06, 01:31 AM
OOCActually, no AoO as the orc took a 5 ft step back before casting (specifically to deny it to you).

You can keep the 20, however. Do you want to apply it to a bullrush, or to an attack?

Koury
2010-04-06, 01:52 PM
As you speak those words, your sword strikes true. The orc takes the hit in stride, however, are lunges forwards with his hand. As he touches you you can feel his foul magic course through your body.

Fort Save, please.

Your uncle manages to swim to the far side of the pool and pull himself onto shore.

Leinad
2010-04-06, 02:00 PM
Fortitude Save
[roll0]

[roll1]
Pressing the attack in order to give his uncle some time to recover, Threac rushes towards the orc and slams into him.

Koury
2010-04-06, 02:10 PM
The orc tries to strike at you as you close, but you are too fast and slam into him. After a brief second, the powerfully built orc manages to push you back. He tries once more to slam his mace into you but misses again, seemingly thrown off balance by your clash.

Your uncle stands from prone and closes distance to the fight. He'll be in melee range next round.

Leinad
2010-04-06, 02:27 PM
His courage renewed, Threac drives forward to strike the orc down another time, the sweat dripping on his brow. Never before had the challenge of combat been so intense and so dire.

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-04-06, 02:44 PM
Your swing misses, and the orc, seeing Aerek returning to the fight, realizes he must do something quickly.

His mace crashes into you, dealing 7 damage.

Aerek takes a flanking position and swings with more fury then you thought him capable of. He strikes true. The orc appears injured now.

OOCI label creatures as such:

Uninjured: 100% hp
Barely injured: 80-99%
Injured: 50-79%
Badly injured: 30-49%
Near death: 1-29%
Un-alive: 0%

This is standard for most bad guys. You can tell at a glance, usually, if someone is almost dead. This won't apply sometimes (things like abberations can sometimes be hard to tell).

Leinad
2010-04-06, 02:58 PM
With his Uncle closing in behind on the orc, Threac takes a moment to channel some positive energy from his Lord Heironius and lets it surge through his body.

Returning his hp from 7 to 11

Koury
2010-04-06, 03:25 PM
The orc say "Oh ho! What's this? I thought Heironeous was all about valor! Healing your wounds and flanking your enemy is much less then what I'd expect from you, paladin!"

He says that last word with disgust as he presses his attack. You are ready this time, however, and deflect his blow with your shield.

Aerek swings, attempting to take advantage of his position, but misses.

Leinad
2010-04-06, 03:29 PM
"You cur, what do you know of valour. May your malignant curse upon these waters cease with your death."

[roll0]; [roll1]

Koury
2010-04-06, 03:38 PM
"Valor and honor will serve only to limit and weaken you, fool."

He draws out a vial and attempts to drink it, drawing AoOs from both of you. Aerek is unable to connect with his attack.

Leinad
2010-04-06, 03:43 PM
"Perish, heretic!!"

Threac slashes down at the cleric and misses twice.

, [roll=1d8+3
, [roll=1d8+3

Koury
2010-04-06, 03:50 PM
The orc turns invisible as he consumes the liquid in the vial.

Leinad
2010-04-06, 03:54 PM
Threac looks for the orc and takes a swing at what he thinks may be the orc cleric.

. [roll1]
[roll2], [roll=1d8+3

Koury
2010-04-06, 04:18 PM
You hear where he moves and swing in that general direction, but hit nothing but air.

Your uncle is looking around everywhere, and moves toward the nearest wall, keeping his back to it.

Nothing happens yet. You're up.

Leinad
2010-04-06, 04:34 PM
Threac follows turns to the pool of water, stepping into a shallow part of it hoping that the orc's movement would become visible in the water. He silently sends a prayer to Heironius for guidance as he keeps his blade readied to strike at the slightest movement.

[roll0],[roll1]

Koury
2010-04-07, 11:08 PM
There is a sudden roar as the orc appears in front of Aerek, his mace slamming into his chest and denting in his armor. Your uncle tries to counter attack, but is unsuccessful. Your uncle appears badly wounded.

Leinad
2010-04-08, 12:16 AM
Threac seeing his uncle bashed hard by the orc charges after him screaming a battlecry and bears down upon the orc's skull.

[roll0]
[roll1]

I swear, I can't seem to get an attack roll past 11- that counts.

Koury
2010-04-08, 12:21 AM
The orc duck your blow while pressing the attack on Aerek. He is eager to even the odds of this fight, it seems.

Too eager, perhaps, as his attack misses. Your uncle begins casting a spell, careful to avoid drawing more blows from the enemy. As he completes the spell, you see his wounds heal, slightly. He is still injured.

Leinad
2010-04-08, 12:28 AM
Threac continues the attack, gritting his teeth as he attempts another blow.

[roll0] Flanking, right?
[roll1]

Koury
2010-04-08, 12:43 AM
OOCYeah, the flanking bonus is why Aerek didn't move to cast his spell, instead casting defensivly.

Side note: Oh crap, a hit!

You manage another clean blow against the orc, who is now bleeding profusly and seems to be nearing death.

"Gruumsh! Hear me! Show me the way!"

With those words, he turns to face you, and throws himself behind his attack, lending his swing great force. It strikes you, but you manage to deflect it with your shield. You know that he is fighting for his life.

Leinad
2010-04-08, 01:34 AM
"May this evil be removed from this land!"

[roll0]
[roll1]

Koury
2010-04-09, 05:23 AM
You thrust forward and impale the orc on your blade. He looks down at his wound, then at you, then to the sky.

"Gruumsh... Why?"

With those words, he dies.

Upon his death, the waters begin clearing themselves of muck immediatly.

Gain: 1100 XP

Leinad
2010-04-09, 11:30 AM
Threac seeing the life removed from the Orc's body, withdraws his blade from the orc's body. He then snatches the orc's unholy symbol and tosses it to the ground before smashing it with the orc's mace.

He then looks to his Uncle and clutches the Holy Symbol of Heironius and says a prayer of cleansing over the body and the mine. Threac then retrieves what he can and takes the orc's mace as a trophy. Threac and his Uncle both sit for a short while to recover from the battle, but soon make their way back to the room where the Kobolds confronted them from the hollow.

Their weapons tucked away, Threac places the mace upon the ground, and begins calling for the Kobolds,

"We seek an audience, the 'demon' is slain!"

Once the kobolds enter...
"I have placed upon the ground the "demon's" weapon and I present it to you as a gift and a sign of our good will to you all. Heironius has blessed us in this quest to remove the source of the disease. I am sure the remnants of the disease still plague these halls, I trust you all to the cleansing of your home. We leave you now, in peace."

[roll0]

If no incident on the way out.. I imagine we'll spend a night in the empty inn or head over to restore things with the slightly evil gentleman if it's early enough.

Stats
Condition Burning Plague(-2 Con)
Wealth:140 gold+orc cleric's stash?
Current XP: 2425
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-10, 06:15 AM
As the orcs body slides of your sword, you notice a change in the atmosphere. The air becomes cooler and the muck in the water begins to clear.

The kobolds accept the mace, and in return, offer you a cloak that they say will keep you safe from harm.

You make it back to the town a short while later. Your uncle can hear again. You find a few people walking around town, but it still seems awfully sparse. You arrive at the inn with no trouble, and the innkeeper offers free room and board for the night.

Leinad
2010-04-10, 07:55 AM
Threac thanks the innkeeper for the room and board. He heads back to their room and consults with his uncle on how well he handled himself, noting how worried he was while his uncle was in the pool. He eagerly finds a place to cleanse himself the best he can, not ready to trust the village's water supply just yet. Threac was diligent to clean and polish his equipment before settling down to sleep.

Upon waking the next morning, he'll set off to make reparations with the man he had confronted upon his arrival to Duvik's pass. He'll also be on the lookout for someone to identify the cloak and potion.

After inspected them himself, he'll also consult with his uncle on the various items.

Appraise...
[roll0]
[roll1]
[roll2]
[roll3]
[roll4]

Stats
Skills
[/table]

Threac then retrieves what he can and takes the orc's mace as a trophy. Threac and his Uncle both sit for a short while to recover from the battle, but soon make their way back to the room where the Kobolds confronted them from the hollow.

Looking back, I guess I was vague but the bolded was essentially intended to be the looting of the orc's corpse.

Koury
2010-04-11, 12:38 AM
Fort save DC 13, please.

Item ValuesAmethyst - ~150
Moonstone - ~50
Moss Agate - ~10 ea.
Gold Brooch - ~250
Potion - ? (Needs effects to be ID'd)
Cloak - ? (Needs effects to be ID'd)

The man, grateful for you helping the town, settles for 3 gp to have his door fixed.

It seems no one in thsi town is able to ID the items for you, however. That seems as if it will have to wait until you get back to the city.

Leinad
2010-04-11, 01:41 AM
Pleased with the bounty he was able to obtain on his venture in the mines and frankly still a bit sore from the battle, Threac looks to find a means of travel for he and his uncle other than their feet. Besides, he thought, it'll be some time before the villagers fully recover from the effects of the plague. Even now, he attempts to fight off the infection himself. He was indeed quite eager to get back to the temple, as it was indeed a huge and wondrous place in addition to it being his bet for finding his own cure.

[roll0]

Was there anything on the orc cleric, btw?

Stats
M Lawful Good Human Paladin, Level 2, Init +7, HP 16/28, Speed 30
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-11, 05:07 AM
You awaken feeling terrible from your disease. (Take [roll0] Con damage.)

You find that Aerek has already prepared two horses for the ride home. You should be able to make it by late evening if you set out soon.

Leinad
2010-04-11, 05:35 AM
Threac and his uncle ride out and make their way straight to the temple. Once at the temple, he'd seek out someone to remove the disease from his body. Threac speaks to his uncle along the way regarding the venture, mentioning that his uncle's situation was partly to blame for his courage against the orc.

Koury
2010-04-11, 05:54 AM
Aerek laughs and tells you that the way that he fell in the water allowed him to see most of the fight, and he cheered (mentally, at least) when you threw the orc in the pool.

You arrive in town on schedual and with nothing of note happening on your trip back. As you arrive at the temple and explain to the Aldor on duty your situation he tells you to stay where you are. He quickly returns with a cleric who promptly blesses both you and your uncle, while casting his Remove Desease spell.

You can instantly feel your vitality returning to you.

The Aldor tells you that the Glorylord himself will be in tomorrow to induct you into the order, and that you will be staying at the temple for the forseeable future. He then dismisses you, noting that the kitchen is always open.

You are put up in the same room you had last time you visited, in the guest quarters.

Leinad
2010-04-11, 06:46 AM
Threac thanks the Aldor for his generosity and is fairly excited as he makes his way to the dining hall. He's excited since not only is the food here absolutely delicious, but at the news of his induction into the Holy order. After consuming the meal, Threac checks out his uncle's quarters and reminisces a bit about his father and the times his uncle has come to visit him at home. As darkness descends, Threac retires back to his room and lies down for a very satisfying sleep.

Koury
2010-04-11, 01:16 PM
You and your uncle share many stories before you head to sleep, including some of your father that you had never heard. It seems he spent a great deal of time fighting corruption in the church and, at one point, dualed a rather powerful Aldor in this very chruch. He protected the previous Glorylord on numerous occasions but never had the chance to fight for the current one, as he disappeared while on mission when the current Glorylord succeeded the last.

You awake the next morning after extremely restful sleep (Heal double).

Your uncle meets up with you in the dining hall with exciting news. Glorylord Heldon is to lead your induction. He explains the ceremony is short, but importiant. You are to choose two mantles to uphold, and take a few vows.

Your uncle then pulls a book detailing the mantles, and goes through them with you.

Mantles of Faith (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33551&highlight=how-it-should-be+paladin)
Good Mantles
Abstinence
The Paladin has foresworn the use of drugs, alcohol, potions, and other similar substances. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever willingly imbibes any drug, alcohol, or similar.

The Paladin receives immunity to various effects according to his level. At first level, he is immune to non-magical poison. At fifth level, he becomes immune to non-magical disease and receives a +1 bonus to saves to resist mind-affecting effects. At tenth level, he becomes immune to magical poison, and his bonus to resist mind-affecting effects increases to +2. At fifteenth level, he becomes immune to magical disease, and his bonus to resist mind-affecting effects increases to +3. At twentieth level, he becomes completely immune to harmful mind-affecting effects.

In addition, once per day for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier, the Paladin can provide to all allies within 5' + 5'/3 Paladin levels a sacred bonus to saves to resist mind-affecting effects equal to his Charisma modifier.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Abstinence mantle can atone by fasting for one week's time.

Charity
The Paladin has sworn to tithe at least 20% of all his earnings (including treasure) to charity and the church. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he fails to tithe that amount.

The Paladin receives a sacred bonus to Diplomacy checks equal to 1/2 his class level (rounded up). In addition, once per day for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier, the Paladin can use charm person (as the spell). At seventh level, this changes to charm monster. At fourteenth level, the Paladin can either perform a charm monster or a mass charm person, and can use this ability twice per day.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Charity mantle can atone by giving away at least 50% of his assets.

Grace
The Paladin has sworn to protect his allies, with his life should the need arise. He loses all aspects of this mantle if an ally of his within 60' falls in combat before the Paladin falls.

The Paladin, and all allies within 30', gain a sacred bonus to Reflex saves equal to 1/4 the Paladin's class level. At fifth level, the Paladin--and all allies within 5' + 5'/3 class levels, gain the benefits of Evasion while in light or no armor. At tenth level, the Paladin gains the benefits of Evasion in medium armor. At fifteenth level, the Paladin gains the benefits of Improved Evasion while in light or no armor. At twentieth level, the Paladin gains the benefits of Improved Evasion while in medium armor.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Grace mantle can atone by either finding the means to return his fallen comrades to life or providing them with proper and honorable burials.

Humility
The Paladin understands that, to be truly great, one must remain humble. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever boasts or exaggerates about his accomplishments or uses social status to influence another.

The Paladin, and all allies within 30', gain a sacred bonus to Will saves equal to 1/4 the Paladin's class level. At fifth level, the Paladin also receives a sacred bonus to AC equal to his Charisma modifier.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Humility mantle can atone by offering his services to a person of no significant social status for one month.

Mercy
The Paladin has sworn an oath to never willingly harm non-evil creatures. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever knowingly kills a non-evil creature or performs a Coup de Grace attack.

The Paladin can deal non-lethal damage with any weapon without receiving a -4 penalty. In addition, whenever he deals non-lethal damage to a target, he deals +1d6 extra non-lethal damage for each three Paladin levels and can deal non-lethal damage with a Smite attack.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Mercy mantle can atone by offering his services to a hospital or other medical organization for one month.

Peace
The Paladin holds himself to a peaceful standard in accordance with his god's wishes. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever willingly enters into combat without trying to prevent it, or if he witnesses conflict without trying to prevent it.

The Paladin receives as a spell-like ability, usable a number of times per day equal to his Charisma modifier (with a caster level equal to his class level), the hold person spell. At fifth level, he may expend two uses to use hold monster. At tenth level, he may expend three uses to use mass hold person. At fifteenth level, he may expend four uses to use mass hold monster. If a creature perishes while held by any form of this spell, the Paladin loses all aspects of this mantle.

In addition, creatures around the Paladin in a 5' radius (plus 5' for every 3 Paladin levels) are affected as if by a calm emotions spell.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Peace mantle can atone by preventing a major conflict (such as a battle or gang war).

Prudence
A Paladin is aware of the strength of both his allies and his foes, and never places his allies into a situation where they could be greatly harmed or even slain. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever willingly allows allies to put themselves in great danger without first attempting to find a less dangerous solution.

The Paladin--and all allies within 5' + 5'/2 Paladin levels--receives an insight bonus to Armor Class equal to his Wisdom modifier.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Prudence mantle can atone by spending a week in solitary meditation and reflection.

Purity
A Paladin must stand against the forces of evil without becoming evil himself. He holds himself to a strict standard: do no evil, lest ye become like one of them. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever willingly commits an evil act or associates with evil or undead creatures.

The Paladin gains the ability to turn undead as a Cleric of four levels lower than his own level does. If this would result in an effective Cleric level of 0 or less, the Paladin cannot turn undead.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Purity mantle can atone by seeking out and destroying a group of undead of difficulty equal to his CR or higher.

Redemption
A Paladin must redeem others who do not adhere to faith as vehemently as the Paladin. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he does not forgive those who err in the name of good.

The Paladin's Lay on Hands ability gains new functions. It can remove disease (as the spell) by spending 15 points of healing, remove curse (as the spell) by spending 20 points, and create an atonement effect (as the spell) by spending 40 points. The atonement effect cannot affect the Paladin, only other creatures.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Redemption mantle can atone by seeking out and obtaining a full pardon for a wrongly accused criminal.

Temperance
A Paladin must display self-restraint in all their actions. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he attacks in the first round of combat.

The Paladin and all allies within 5' + 5'/2 Paladin levels receive a sacred bonus to ranged attack rolls equal to his Charisma modifier.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Temperance mantle can atone by not acting for ten rounds of combat.

Valor
A Paladin must be regal and valorous to combat the forces of evil. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he attempts to coerce or influence anyone through Intimidation.

The Paladin becomes immune to fear effects. In addition, all allies within a 5' radius + 5'/2 Paladin levels receive a sacred bonus to saving throws against fear effects equal to 1/2 the Paladin's class level.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Valor mantle can atone by offering his services to a local temple for a period of at least 1 week.

Lawful Mantles
Alliance
The Paladin has contracted a subordinate creature to further his cause. He loses all aspects of this mantle if his mount dies.

The Paladin gains the service of an unusually intelligent, strong, and loyal steed to serve his in his crusade against evil. This mount is usually a heavy warhorse (for a Medium Paladin) or a warpony (for a Small Paladin). See the PHB for how to handle a Paladin's mount.

Once per day, as a full-round action, a Paladin may magically call his mount from the extrapalanar realms in which it resides. This ability is the equivalent of a spell of a level equal to one-third the Paladin’s level. The mount immediately appears adjacent to the Paladin and remains for 2 hours per Paladin level; it may be dismissed at any time as a free action. The mount is the same creature each time it is summoned, though the Paladin may release a particular mount from service.

Each time the mount is called, it appears in full health, regardless of any damage it may have taken previously. The mount also appears wearing or carrying any gear it had when it was last dismissed. Calling a mount is a Conjuration (Calling) effect.

Should the Paladin’s mount die, it immediately disappears, leaving behind any equipment it was carrying. The Paladin takes a -1 penalty on attack and weapon damage rolls for a period of 30 days.

Atonement: The Paladin must seek a course of resurrection for the deceased creature.

Conviction
The Paladin is certain of himself and his actions, so much so that his unswerving faith augments his martial prowess. The Paladin loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever questions his faith, attacks another member of his faith, or smites a creature that is unaffected by the smite attack.

The Paladin's attacks are considered bludgeoning, slashing, and piercing for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. At tenth level, all his attacks are also considered magical, lawful, and silver for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. At fifteenth level, all his attack are also considered adamantine, mithral, and holy (or evil, depending on your alignment) for the purposes of overcoming damage reduction. At twentieth level, the Paladin ignores the first ten points of his foe's damage reduction.

Atonement Method: In order to atone for violating the conviction mantle, a Paladin must take on a dangerous quest from a powerful figure of their faith and complete the quest without promise of compensation.

Diligence
The Paladin has sworn to examine his opponents and his surroundings thoroughly. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he does not attempt every legitimate action before giving up.

The Paladin can detect evil or detect good (as the spell, and detecting alignment opposite to his own) at will. At fifth level, the Paladin gains Darkvision 30'. At tenth level, the Paladin gains Low-Light Vision. At fifteenth level, the Paladin gains Scent 30'. At twentieth level, the Paladin gains Blindsight 15'.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Diligence mantle can atone by willingly subjecting himself to blindness (temporary or permanent) for at least a day.

Honesty
The Paladin has foresworn lying, for any reason. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever willingly makes a Bluff check for any reason other than to feint in combat, if he ever uses the Forgery skill, or if he ever lies.

The Paladin receives a sacred bonus to Sense Motive checks equal to 1/2 his class level (rounded up). In addition, once per day for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier, the Paladin can see invisibility (as the spell). At seventh level, this changes to invisibility purge. At fourteenth level, the Paladin can either perform an invisibility purge or can see as if affected by true seeing, and can use this ability twice per day.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who breaks the Honesty mantle can atone by declaring what he is and who he worships in the middle of a medium sized or larger city of an average alignment that he does not share.

Honor
The Paladin holds himself to honorable standards of combat set down by his god. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever feints, trips, or gains the benefits of flanking in combat.

The Paladin receives a sacred bonus to melee attack rolls equal to his Charisma modifier.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Honor mantle can atone by offering his services to a judge or similar ruling authority for a month.

Justice
The Paladin is an agent of justice and must uphold the law to its fullest extent. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever willingly breaks a law or associates with lawbreakers.

The Paladin can detect chaos (as the spell) at will. At fifth level, the Paladin's smite ability can be used against chaotic creatures to equal effect. If used against a creature who is both chaotic and of the appropriate alignment for the Paladin's smite ability, the smite's damage is doubled and automatically confirms a threatened critical.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Justice mantle must seek out and bring to justice a lawbreaker in a public form in order to atone.

Patience
The Paladin has sworn an oath to never rush in without thinking and to always consider all courses of action. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever acts without considering the consequences or attacks in the first round of combat.

The Paladin only needs four hours of sleep a night. At seventh level, the Paladin does not need to eat more than one meal a week. At fourteenth level, the Paladin no longer needs to breathe. At twentieth level, the Paladin no longer needs to eat or sleep.

Atonement Method: In order to atone for violating the Patience mantle, the Paladin must spend the first 5 rounds of combat analyzing the situation and taking no actions.

Perseverance
A Paladin must never falter and never sway on his chosen path. He holds himself to a resolute and stoic standard in accordance with his god's wishes. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever willingly stands down from a fight he knows he can win, or if he gives up in the face of adversity.

All allies within a 5' radius (plus 5' for every 3 Paladin levels) gain DR 1/-, plus 1/- for every five class levels of the Paladin. In addition, once per day for a number of rounds equal to his Charisma modifier, a Paladin can surround himself and his allies with an aura of magical resilience. This aura grants his allies SR equal to his class level plus his Charisma modifier.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Perseverance mantle must complete a nearly impossible task (cutting down a great tree with a dagger, translating a huge ancient text, etc.) over the course of several days. During that time the Paladin can perform no other actions except those needed to survive.

Piety
A Paladin must pray to his deity, and those with the Piety Mantle of Faith must pray exceptionally. He holds himself to a standard where he must pray at least five times per day, for at least an hour per prayer session. He loses all aspects of his mantle if he goes one day without praying five times, with at least one hour of time between periods of prayer.

The Paladin receives an axiomatic bonus to all saving throws equal to 1/4 his class level. In addition, all allies within 5' + 5'/3 Paladin levels receive an axiomatic bonus to saving throws equal to the Paladin's Charisma modifier.

Atonement Method: In order to atone for violating a Piety mantle, a Paladin must spend a week in intense prayer, during which time they make take no other actions except what is needed to survive (eating, sleeping, breathing, etc.).

Zeal
A Paladin must always accept an honorable challenge. He loses all aspects of this mantle if he ever does not accept an honorable challenge or if he smites a creature that is unaffected by the smite attack.

The Paladin gains +1d6 axiomatic damage when performing smite attacks. This improves to +2d6 at 5th level, +3d6 at 10th level, +4d6 at 15th level, and +5d6 at 20th level.

Atonement Method: A Paladin who violates the Zeal mantle can atone by challenging another warrior of at least equal power to them to a fair duel.

Leinad
2010-04-11, 01:40 PM
Threac takes the books and pours over Mantles of faith doing his best to memorize them and to take them to heart. "Uncle Aerek, I knew it was a great privilege and commitment to take on the mantles of faith, but I did not realize how much Heironius blessed us and our friends upon taking on the mantles."

After finishing his breakfast, Threac headed back to his room in order to prepare himself for the induction ceremony. He shined and polished his equipment, he redressed his wounds, he spent a great deal of time in prayer and paced the room reciting the tenets of the faith. When the time came, Threac presented himself before those assembled for the ceremony prepared and full of faith.

Koury
2010-04-11, 01:54 PM
The Glorylord, two Aldors, your uncle and a number of citizens who had heard that a new paladin was being inducted are all there to witness the ceremony.

The ceremony goes as your uncle said it would, with prayers offered and blessings given. When time comes to recount the passing of the Test of Valor, your uncle steps forward and describes, in detail, the battle between you and the cleric of Gruumsh. Your uncle is a fine storyteller, drawing gasps as he describes being incapacitated by the evil priests magic and tossed into the filthy pool. His telling of your fight paints you in a glorious light as he tells of you running the orc through.

As he steps down, he smiles at you. The Glorylord then calls you to the front.

"Well son, that is certainly one of the finest tales I've heard in a long time. I take it you have chosen which mantles to take on?"

Leinad
2010-04-11, 07:45 PM
"Yes, Glorylord, it was indeed a tough choice to make as all mantles presented should be striven for. I have chosen to take upon myself the mantle of Honesty, for how can we expect others to act in good judgment if they are unable to see things as they truly are. For the second mantle, I have chosen the mantle of grace as I will strive to defend the life of my allies as if it were my own."

Koury
2010-04-12, 04:15 AM
Then let it be so.

Glorylord Heldon continues with his prayers and blessings, but this time it is different. You can feel the energy of the blessings washing over you. For the briefest of seconds, you find yourself overwhelmed, but you become attuned to the energy quickly.

And as quickly as it came, it vanishes, but you know it has left its mark on you. You can feel it.

Arise now, Threac Tan'is, paladin of Heironeous.

Leinad
2010-04-12, 04:49 AM
Threac arises, his resolve to spread the glory of Herionius swells within his chest. He asks the Glorylord, "Glorylord, is there any tasks you would have me do, now?"

Stats
M Lawful Good Human Paladin, Level 2, Init +7, HP 20/28, Speed 30
Longbow (Arrows (38)) +5 (1d8, x3)
Skills
Balance |Dex| -1 | 3 | 0 | -4
Climb |STR| 0 | 4 | 0 | -4
Escape Artist |Dex| +1 | 3 | 0 | -2
Hide |Dex| -1 | 3 | 0 | -4
Jump |Str| +0 | 4 | 0 | -4
Move Silently |Dex| -1 | 3 | 0 | -4
Sleight of Hand |Dex| -1 | 3 | 0 | -4
Swim |Str| 0 | 4 | 0 | -4
Tumble |Dex| +1 | 3 | 2 | -4
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-12, 05:22 AM
Heldon looks you over and laughs.

Just one task, son. Celebrate! Today is a day for you to remember. I will set you on a task soon enough.

Leinad
2010-04-12, 09:17 AM
Threac heeded the Glorylord's command, he began meeting and greeting those who had gathered to witness his induction as a paladin of Heironius. He made his way through the crowd exchanging pleasantries with as many people as he could. He made inquiries into their day to day lives and paying close attention to anything that might resemble a problem in their lives.

After most of the revelry, Threac began touring the temple itself, since aside from his quarters and the dining hall he really hadn't seen much.

Inquiries that may come up...
1) Noting the names of the ranked members who attended the induction
2) Noting the names of local businessmen attending the induction. Services he might be needing
3) Noting those who may have known his father, personally.
4) Noting info regarding wild animals running amok
5) Noting spots of interest within the city Threac should visit.
6) Perhaps arranging some sort of quarters besides the guest quarters in the temple.

Koury
2010-04-12, 04:36 PM
Aside from the Glorylord, there were two Aldors in attendance. The majority of the public who came held simple jobs. A sailor, a blacksmith, a member of the city guard, etc. None were of any particular repute.

Glorylord Heldon excuses himself from the party about halfway through, but comes to congratulate you once more before he leaves.

One of the Aldors, upon being asked about your father, says "Your father, yes. I never met him, but I know of him. His vigilance against church corruption was admirable. He disappeared about 5 years ago, I believe. Just before Glorylord Heldon succeeded Glorylord Alton. Alton had sent him on a quest of some sort, but I know not of the details."

One of the people who was in attendance, the city guard member, tells you that the watc has had another minor disturbance, but it was an imp set loose, not an animal. They suspect a mage had a spell go wrong and are investigating.

Spots of interest in this city are plentiful, but the most notable is the fabled Undermountain.

Your uncle tells you that you should be given a personal room shortly and, in fact, by the end of the celebration you are given a key to your own room.

Leinad
2010-04-13, 02:48 AM
Threac will head off to see if he can find someone within the temple to identify the potion and cape, before heading to his room to ensure the key works and to check it out in general. He'll also see if he can't find the materials to craft a longsword of masterwork quality and for that matter, a place within the temple to do so (assuming it has its own forge.).

Also, the former Glorylord is still around? If not, he'll ask where he might find him so he can see what type of mission his father left on.

I'm assuming it's late afternoon by the end of the celebration - if it's earlier he'll see if he can explore the city some, the marketplace in particular to sell some of the items he recovered from the mine (brooch, agate, and moonstone)

Koury
2010-04-13, 01:37 PM
You find that the temple has an established method of identifying items. They ask for a small donation of 50 gp per item.

The temple does indeed have its own forge, and they can make you a blade if you so desire, but they note that it would be faster to buy one in the market. They have holy symbols and armors and shields carrying the livery of the church, but nothing in the way of weapons, due to city ordnance forbidding it. They do offer you 400 gp for the items you are looking to sell, however.

You find some information about the previous Glorylord easily. You learn he is deceased. He died of old age.

The key to your room works just fine.

http://www.alm-nelson-family.com/images/Hotel_room_-_reduced.jpg

Leinad
2010-04-13, 03:18 PM
Threac accepts what the temple offers both in terms of identification and the selling of his goods. He then heads out to town to see about purchasing a sword of the proper quality (if the hour is not too late). He'll go out of his way to head by the warehouse district on his route back to the temple, pausing here and there to detect evil.

Stats
Wealth:490
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-13, 03:46 PM
The potion is identified as a potion of Invisibility, and the cloak as a Cloak of Resistance (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicitems/wondrousitems.htm#cloakofResistance) +1.

As dusk falls, you are able to find a beautiful sword for sale for 320 gp from a merchant in the market district.

Night has fallen as you wander through the warehouse district. There are a number of people here, even at night, loading boxes onto wagons or driving wagons to the docks. More then one person registers as evil. In fact, a good 1/3 of the people you scan seem to turn up as evil. There appears to be nothing out of the ordinary, however. They all seem to go about their business as usual.

Leinad
2010-04-13, 04:09 PM
It was likely cooling down anyway and upon learning of the resistance the cloak could offer, Threac swiftly donned the cloak. He was somewhat amused that he could have turned as invisible as the orc cleric did in that battle, perhaps it'll come in handy in the near future. Threac was eager to pick up a sword that would perhaps strike true in the foe more often then his current. Heironius knows how frustrating it was for Threac being unable to pierce through the cleric's shield and armor.

Threac is quickly learning that he cannot expect the great majority of people to live the life of good. Too many are the evil, chaotic, and questionable influences of the world. Threac meanders his way back to the temple attempting to learn his way around the city. He returns to his quarters and settles into it as best he can.

Gold: 490gp - 320gp = 170 gp

Stats
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
Longsword,Masterwork +7 (1d8+3, 19-20x2)
Wealth:170gp
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-13, 04:20 PM
The night passes with naught but peaceful slumber. You awaken feeling much better.

Heal at double rate.

In the morning, at the dining hall, you are approached by one of the Aldors who attended your induction. "Threac, we have recieved some troubling news from a town many days travel east of here. We would like to send you to investigate. Enjoy your meal for now and come see me afterwards for details." He leaves you with details of where his office is.

Leinad
2010-04-13, 04:26 PM
Threac attempts not to rush his meal for he knows a full stomach brings strength. The prospect of aiding those in need, however, is an exciting prospect for him. He heads over to Aldors office immediately.

Stats
M Lawful Good Human Paladin, Level 2, Init +7, HP 24/28, Speed 30
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort +10, Ref +6, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
Longsword,Masterwork +7 (1d8+3, 19-20x2)
Wealth:170gp
Skills
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-13, 05:09 PM
You enter the Aldons office and find him at his desk, with another man in a chair.

"Ah, Threac, you have come. This man here is Nerius Bootlum, merchant. He has told us that the town of Karath, a large farming town far to the east, is experiencing an abnormal drought. Karath sits near three seperate lakes which normally provide water for their crops, which in turn provides food for much of the region.

We ask that you bring this to them, free of charge." He places an ordinary looking flask on the table.

"This is a Decanter of Endless Water. It can provide them with as much water as they need for their crops. This may be more then a simple delivery task, however, as Nerius here believes he knows the reason for the drought."

The man named Nerius speaks up now. "Hello. I must admit that I believe I know the cause of the droughts. About two months ago, a bugbear and his band attacked a coach that was traveling through the countryside, easily overwhelming the driver and passenger, myself being the passenger. At the time of the attack, I was on his way to consult with a sage named Elwin, who resides in a town some distance away, about a curious magic item called the eversoaking sponge. Leaving us for dead, the bugbear took everything he found in the coach, including the eversoaking sponge and a small fortune in gems that I had with me, and fled to a nearby cave that his company uses as a hideout.

The coach driver was indeed dead, but I had survived the attack. When I
regained consciousness, I slowly and painfully made his way to a nearby Temple of Heironeous, where he received magical curing. Angered by the unprovoked attack, I arranged to have a squad of militia dispatched to the area where his carriage had been waylaid. The militia tracked down bugbears band, and the ensuing battle took a heavy toll on the raiders, reducing the band to about half its former size. The survivors, including the bugbear, managed to escape and lie low long enough for their pursuers to claim a successful mission and return to their posts within the city. Now I, knowing full well that the threat to the region had not truly been eliminated because no proof of the bugbears death had surfaced, placed a price of 2,000 gp on the bugbear leader’s head, in hopes that a bounty hunter or adventurer would be motivated to seek him out and slay him.

No one has yet responded, so I came here, seeking someone out myself instead of idly sitting by. I am prepared to offer the 2,000 gp to you for destroying this bugbear. I will accept either his head or the eversoaking sponge as proof of his demise. You can keep anything else you find, including any of the gems I had stolen from me, but I want the sponge back, if at all possible.

This sponge is capable of soaking up vast amounts of water, and I believe the bugbear and his band have discovered what it does and are behind the water shortage in Karath."

Leinad
2010-04-13, 09:30 PM
"I am at your service, Nerius. Do you perchance have a map of the area? or knowledge of where to begin my pursuit?"

Koury
2010-04-14, 02:03 AM
"I have no map, but I know the way well. You will head east three days by foot, two by horse, and you will come upon the hamlet of Newkeep. There you will cross their bridge and continue on to Poisson. Then, from Poisson it is a short journey to Karath.

I thank you for accepting this mission from me. It is a weight off my shoulders knowing someone is doing something to stop a problem I feel responsible for causing. Please accept half of the bounty up front."

He hands you an emerald.

"Thank you again, Threac"

Leinad
2010-04-14, 09:23 AM
Threac graciously accepts the emerald. Threac thought to himself that this mission is more a duty than a means of receiving rewards, however he did not want to offend the man by denying the gift. After taking the emerald, Threac looked to the Aldor, and asked, "Anything more sir? or may I be dismissed to go assist this gentleman?"

Koury
2010-04-14, 01:32 PM
The Aldor hands you the flask, thanks you, and dismisses you.

Leinad
2010-04-14, 01:40 PM
Threac heads by the marketplace to purchase a tent before heading eastward on his new mission.

Koury
2010-04-14, 01:42 PM
Finding a tent proves to be simple enough, and you have one before the hour is out, along with any other supplies you need.

Leinad
2010-04-14, 01:56 PM
Threac heads eastward as the gentelman directed.

Koury
2010-04-14, 02:24 PM
You set out and travel for two days without incident. It is the afternoon of the third day, a beautiful day, and your journey has been peaceful so far. You should be able to cover a few more miles before finding a place to stay for the night.

In the distance lies a hamlet, perhaps forty small homes scattered around a stone keep still under construction. Between you and the first house are fields of wheat, and cattle in pastures. Something is amiss, however. From behind the farthest of the houses suddenly appears a twoheaded giant—an ettin, wielding a broken piece of timber. Bellowing angrily, it strikes at something on the ground, then strolls off into the woods to the right of the hamlet, stopping long enough to snatch up a terrified cow. Within seconds, it’s lost among the trees.

Leinad
2010-04-14, 02:28 PM
Threac rushes to investigate what the object might have been that the ettin struck down, before strolling off. He fears that it may be one of the residents of the hamlet.

Koury
2010-04-14, 02:32 PM
The villagers ignore your approach. They are far too busy with the aftermath of the ettin’s attack: tending their wounded, rounding up panicked livestock, and clearing away the debris of smashed fences and walls. Surprisingly, though, a few villagers seem to be taking the situation in stride: Nearby, an old man is chopping up a broken piece of fencing for firewood; further on, a trio of young children is playing in some puddles—puddles shaped like giant feet.

Leinad
2010-04-14, 02:40 PM
Threac heads towards those who are wounded and asks if he is able to lend a hand anywhere.

Koury
2010-04-14, 02:50 PM
Most of the villagers not immediately dealing with cleanup efforts are hurrying toward the far end of the hamlet, and the bulk of the community is already gathered there. A small group of men and an old woman examine the wreckage of a wooden bridge that, incongruously, now lies in a pasture, with cows wandering around it. Beyond the pasture, on the far side of a narrow gorge, the other end of the bridge hangs limp and broken.

The ettin has just destroyed the bridge you need to continue your journey. The people of Newkeep aren’t as upset by the destruction of the bridge, however, as they are about the three people the ettin killed in the process. Two lie a short distance away, in the pasture. Near the bodies, about a dozen lightly armed men wait while their leader, the local constable, receives healing from a priestess of Heironeous. The men are tired and their morale is low.

Leinad
2010-04-14, 03:17 PM
Threac approached to address both the priestess and the constable. "Greetings, my name is Threac Tan'is a newly vested Paladin of Heironius. I wish to offer my services in ridding your hamlet of such a threat."

Koury
2010-04-14, 03:30 PM
The constable looks you over, then introduces himself as Malwick.

"Well, if you think you can help us kill it, consider yourself hired. The faster we can bring it down, the better off we'll be."

The priestess steps in and introduces herself as Aranda.

"Let me get you up to speed, young paladin.

Just about five weeks ago, a hunter told us he’d seen a giant crossing the wheat field north of the hamlet, in the middle of the night. We set up watches, but no one else saw anything. Then, three weeks ago, several people saw it, just before dawn. Malwick’s father managed to put an arrow
in it, but that just made it angry. It killed Malwick’s father, and four other men, before it ran off into the woods.

Since then, it’s been coming back every day and every night, almost as if to punish us. At some point during the day, it will come thundering out of the woods, right over there, and chase our cattle around until it catches one. In the process, it smashes our homes, not caring if there are people inside. If we try to stop it, we lose at least one man, and end up with several wounded, while we barely even scratch it.

It also comes in at night, but it’s not after our cattle then. It almost seems like it’s trying to be stealthy. Sometimes it even runs away from us. At first we thought it might be a different giant, but it’s the same one—we’ve seen marks on it where we’d hit it with arrows earlier the same day."

Leinad
2010-04-14, 07:26 PM
"In my humble opinion it seems best we attempt to thwart this beast at night. Perhaps we could set up some sort of trap for it. If it runs from you all I'm sure we could direct it towards our trap. Maybe a large ditch or some sort of netting... it'll have to be large. Or do you have any other resources or natural features near your hamlet that could serve thusly?" (like a cliff, etc...)

Koury
2010-04-15, 05:04 AM
Malwick answers this time.

"Well, there is the gorge, but I doubt he's stupid enough to just run into it. He always just runs into the forest at night. Whatever it is he's scared of, I wish he'd stay scared of it in the daytime."

Leinad
2010-04-15, 11:47 AM
"Well, no, likely he'd need a little help falling into that gorge. Perhaps we could grease the path or if we could get it muddy enough. I'd be willing to block his passage to the forest, personally, though it might take a few extra obstacles, perhaps a few large bonfires, to direct him to our desired path."

"Do you know where this creature takes refuge?"

Koury
2010-04-15, 03:06 PM
"Nope, we don't. Somewhere in the woods, obviously. No one has wanted to try and track it. You're welcome to, if you think you can."

Leinad
2010-04-15, 03:16 PM
"Ok, then I suppose I'll await his arrival tonight for observation purposes. When he comes in the morning I'd prefer you all take cover and only keep enough livestock out for him to be satisfied. But, I'm still open to any tactical advice you might give seeing as you know the beast a bit better."

Koury
2010-04-15, 05:11 PM
"Observe? And just what is it you wish to observe? We can chase him off at night, for whatever reason, and I have no intention of doing otherwise, unless you can give me a damned good reason."

Leinad
2010-04-16, 10:26 AM
"Very well, very well," Threac stated apologetically, "What methods to employ that actually scare off the beast? I still think setting a trap for it is a good idea. I'll need the help of your people in preparing it, can it be done?"

Koury
2010-04-16, 01:31 PM
"So long as my men are able to be recalled at a moments notice, yes, thy can lend you aid. What do you have in mind?"

Leinad
2010-04-16, 01:49 PM
"That'll depend largely on what you have on hand. Though, forcing him into the gorge by means of making the path a bit more slippery sounds good. Once within the gorge we'd have the advantage of higher ground and we'd be able to pummel it at will.. assuming we could keep it down there. Got anything that might keep him down? some sort of sticky tarry substance?"

Koury
2010-04-16, 02:04 PM
I can think of no substence sticky enough to hold that monster in place, sadly. Simply running at him, screaming, has been enough to drive away his nighttime advances.

Leinad
2010-04-16, 02:08 PM
"hrm.. Perhaps some net-like material we could stretch across the small gorge to at least hold him down a little longer. After which, I'll confront him directly and you can keep your men at a relatively safe distance with your ranged weapons."

Koury
2010-04-16, 02:18 PM
"You have a way of crossing the gorge? That beast just destroyed the bridge right before you got here. We have no way of crossing to get anything like that over there."

Leinad
2010-04-16, 02:57 PM
"Can we use a couple of those timbers" pointing to where they were working on refitting the fence, "and stretch it across so a couple of your men can get across for the net?"

Stats
AC 19, Touch 13, Flat-footed 16, Fort +10, Ref +7, Will +4, Base Attack Bonus 2
Longsword,Masterwork +7 (1d8+4, 19-20x2)
Condition
Wealth:160gp
Skills
Sense Motive |Wis| +7 | 1 | 5 | 1
[/table]

Koury
2010-04-17, 05:33 PM
"Explain to me your plan, paladin, and we'll see what we can do. If you have experience in combat, we would welcome your sword arm along side ours, though we wuld be able to pay very little for you service, I'm afraid."

Leinad
2010-04-17, 11:42 PM
"Alright, here goes..." Threac pauses taking a deep breath, "First, we prepare the trap. In order to ensure that when we chase him toward the gorge we must make it to where is footing will not be sure. Greasing or making the path extra muddy should be able to cover that. If we could stretch a net or a number of timbers across the gorge in order to keep the beast down that would be extra helpful, but not wholly necessary. Once the Ettin has fallen into the gorge that ought to give us the higher ground advantage necessary to take down the beast. To ensure he takes the path necessary we could line the paths with pitch and set them alight. If, however he does not take the path I'll be ready to chase him into the forest. A beast that big ought to leave some decent size tracks."

How deep is that gorge? anyhow and far to the other side?

Koury
2010-04-18, 03:47 AM
The gorge is fairly wide, about 50 feet wide, and deep. It was carved by a fast moving river that still runs through it, about 70 feet down. It extends for quite some distance in both directions.

"Are you decent at tracking? Perhaps we could ambush him in his lair. If you can find his home and figure out when he sleeps, I'll bring my men along for the fight. Quite simply, I believe your plan has too much room for error. Until then, we rebuild and prepare for his next arrival."

Leinad
2010-04-18, 05:04 AM
"Well, no, but I am able to detect evil and I imagine a creature that size wouldn't be too hard to track at first. I will do my best, sir."

"One further suggestion is to have caltrops or something similar prepared to slow its ability to run back to its lair.

I think I may just take some time to rest as the night may prove to be a long one, unless there is anything you'd like assistance with?"

Koury
2010-04-18, 01:03 PM
"Now the caltrops, thats a good idea. Sadly, our town smith has been occupied with fixing our weapons and armors after our previous skirmishes with this beast.

If you truly plan on helping us, paladin, feel free to stay at the inn free of charge"

He points to a building missing a large section of its roof.

"I suggest a first floor room. Tell em Malwick sent you."

Leinad
2010-04-18, 04:10 PM
Before heading to the Inn, Threac, makes his way over to the weaponsmith's shop and inquires if it was at all possible to acquire sets of caltrops. On his way there he takes a good few moments to look around the hamlet looking for anything that might be a suitable replacement for caltrops.

Convince the smith to make Caltrops
[roll0]
Searching for suitable replacement
Take 20 = 23

Koury
2010-04-19, 01:41 AM
The smith agrees to make some caltrops, provided you pay him in advance. He reckons he can make about two bags by the end of the day.

Leinad
2010-04-19, 01:51 AM
Threac happily pays for the sets of caltrops and heads back to say a few prayers with the priestess before making his way to the inn. At the inn he'll let the innkeeper know that Malwick sent him and he'll ask them to wake him just before the sun begins to set.

Koury
2010-04-19, 01:56 AM
The priestess is glad for the company and happy to answer any questions you may have.

Otherwise, you are able to get the room, and sleep well until you are woke up a few hours later, as the sun is setting.

Leinad
2010-04-19, 02:10 AM
Questions for the priestess
1) What's her take on the Ettin- she did mention something about a duality of personalities?
2)Basic questions regarding the history of the hamlet.
3) Her phone number - Just kidding.

Koury
2010-04-19, 02:20 AM
1) The ettin certainly acts different at night, but like she said before, they know it to be the same one. She has no idea what is causing the strange behavior.

2) A few years back, an evil wizard named Stondylus took control of a local keep and forced the residents of this town to relocate, hence the name Newkeep. A group of adventurers had gotten wind of what happened and set off to take him out. They were apparently successful, as the wizard is gone, but the town and its residents never saw the group again to thank them. By the time the town knew for sure the wizard was gone, they were well established in the new location, and now Oldkeep is just a set of ruins.

3) How very paladin-like :smallamused:

Leinad
2010-04-19, 03:35 AM
Threac heads over to the weaponsmith to pick up the caltrops then meets up with the constable. He'll confer with the constable in order to figure out the best place to put the caltrops in order for the ettin to step on them. Threac readies himself concentrating on detecting evil in order to get an advanced warning of the incoming threat.

Koury
2010-04-19, 02:10 PM
Night falls slowly, and as it does, your trap is set. The entire guard (7 people total, including Malwick) reports in for duty, and are set to patroling the city limits.

You and Malwick take to patroling seperate sections of the edge of the forrest, where the ettin is most likely to appear.

About an hour in, you spot him. He got past your patrol and is in the town. Moving as stealthily as his massive bulk will allow, the giant creeps between the houses of Newkeep, heading in the general direction of the tavern in the center of the hamlet. His right head seems to be dozing, but his left head is alert—perhaps even a little frightened. He doesn't seem to see you. Malwick is in shouting distance, but not visible.

Leinad
2010-04-19, 03:45 PM
Threac will follow him trying to be as stealthy as possible himself and using the cover of the houses as much as possible. The ultimate goal is to head him off so that if he were to run it'd be back out of town towards the forest. If possible he'll lay out one set of caltrops before heading the beast off. Specifically in a narrower path where the beast would be more likely to run.

Koury
2010-04-19, 03:55 PM
You follow the large beast. As he nears the center of town, he turns north. Suddenly, the beast gets down on his hands and knees, apparently trying to hide. The reason becomes apparent a second later as one of the town guards passes by. The guard nods at you as he continues on his patrol.

Leinad
2010-04-19, 04:23 PM
Threac will take a moment to detect the presence of evil within the creature and then he'll proceed to follow him once more in the same manner.