PDA

View Full Version : A tad harsh?

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-03-21, 06:45 PM
in strip number 707, i believe that could have been handled better.

dogmac
2010-03-21, 06:49 PM
Yes, it is hard to love the good guys when they are murdering.

KiwiImperator
2010-03-21, 06:53 PM
Yes, he could have said "Have a nice trip..." first.

waterpenguin43
2010-03-21, 06:55 PM
Roland will lock this soon, see the "Complaint (707)" thread.

Orzel
2010-03-21, 07:02 PM
He was nice.
He let the goblin talk AND wasted a joke on it.
Should've stabbed him on sight.
Could of have a scry on him.

KiwiImperator
2010-03-21, 07:05 PM

Ahh, the legendary Roland. I do not believe I've had the honor of being in a thread locked by him yet. Well, his fingers will do the little dance, and we'll all be posting elsewhere soon.

The Unlucky One
2010-03-21, 07:37 PM
The act is evil, so what?

Stop making threads about it again and again. Like other people said, this will be locked.

Hello Roland, how is it going?

TreesOfDeath
2010-03-21, 07:51 PM
inb4 Roland

amanojaku
2010-03-22, 12:07 AM
Roland will lock this soon, see the "Complaint (707)" thread. So what else is new?

Draconi Redfir
2010-03-22, 12:28 AM
hey Roland, i have a question.

how many locks could a thread locker lock if a thread locker could lock threads?

doodthedud
2010-03-22, 01:04 AM
No, not really harsh. They're at war, and face vastly greater odds. it was entirely necessary to kill him.

Komitadji
2010-03-22, 01:13 AM
God forbid we have a world in which the "good guys" and "bad guys" might be defined by shades of gray rather than black and white. No, wait...isn't there world like that already?

Agi Hammerthief
2010-03-22, 01:21 AM
oui,
it is a tad harsh to bring up morally controversial matters like this in the comic and at the same time forbid it as a topic :smallbiggrin:

---

"There is a technical, literary term for those who mistake the opinions and beliefs of characters in a novel
for those of the author.
The term is 'idiot'."
- S.M. Stirling -

just throwing this in as a sort of on-topic sentiment in a thread where there should be no-one around to take it personally.
haven't read the 707 discussion to be entirely sure that there isn't someone who might pick it up and stick it on his/her lapel.

---

is Roland some sort of one man army?

cfalcon
2010-03-22, 02:05 AM
I dunno, I liked it. They killed the goblin. If they are successful, they'll kill the rest!

doodthedud
2010-03-22, 02:08 AM
I dunno, I liked it. They killed the goblin. If they are successful, they'll kill the rest!

It wasn't "Haha, they killed the goblin" as much as it was they stopped the goblin from revealing their presence, harming their members, etc. I mean, they were about to bring him to their headquarters after all, it is better to kill the goblin then to allow the potential danger that saving him could bring. They are already in a lot of danger, they can't risk more, the lives of every member of the resistance are at stake. It's too big a risk.

The "Haha, they killed the goblin" was a little flavoring to make the scene seem a bit more awesome, it didn't stop the fact it needed to be done.

Tass
2010-03-22, 02:09 AM
oui,
it is a tad harsh to bring up morally controversial matters like this in the comic and at the same time forbid it as a topic :smallbiggrin:

It is not a forbidden topic, we just don't need ten threads for the same one.

"There is a technical, literary term for those who mistake the opinions and beliefs of characters in a novel
for those of the author.
The term is 'idiot'."
- S.M. Stirling -

just throwing this in as a sort of on-topic sentiment in a thread where there should be no-one around to take it personally.
haven't read the 707 discussion to be entirely sure that there isn't someone who might pick it up and stick it on his/her lapel.

Relevant quote.

is Roland some sort of one man army?

Yes. Yes he is.

The Dark Fiddler
2010-03-22, 04:46 AM
God forbid we have a world in which the "good guys" and "bad guys" might be defined by shades of gray rather than black and white. No, wait...isn't there world like that already?

This. I don't see why people expect the characters to live by their alignment to the letter; Good or Evil, instead of Mostly Good with a few small bad choices or something.

Aharon
2010-03-22, 05:35 AM
The elven army has casters with it. One of them could have spared a few seconds to cast Detect Good.

Guiltless killing it is, then. I mean, the comic leaves little doubt that the goblin isn't Good, as he seems to bluff, but come on, 6 seconds...

Ancalagon
2010-03-22, 05:49 AM
I mean, the comic leaves little doubt that the goblin isn't Good, as he seems to bluff, but come on, 6 seconds...

Hum? Little doubt? Where?

We have no way to tell if what he says is meant as it is or if it's a bluff. Anyway... "leaves little doubt" looks entirely different, I think.

Vaarsuvius4181
2010-03-22, 05:50 AM

Im not complaining or asking why he did it, but i just was wondering if anyone else thought this was a bit of an overreaction, and perhaps foreshadowing.

Nimrod's Son
2010-03-22, 06:19 AM
There's the best part of 25 pages on that very subject in the main thread. That's why the other thread got closed, and likely why this one will be.

Zherog
2010-03-22, 08:45 AM
The elven army has casters with it. One of them could have spared a few seconds to cast Detect Good.

Only if somebody had the spell prepared. Of course, any of the paladins could've used their detect evil spell-like ability easily enough.

Closak
2010-03-22, 08:47 AM
I say that the only good elf is a dead elf *Throws elf commander of a roof just because he's an elf*

Killing elves just because they are elves is fun!

*Threats the elven race like XP fodder*

sihnfahl
2010-03-22, 09:13 AM
As you note, the Hobbo is, by his own admission, not Good.

He was in jail because he beat up a greenskin who sought to immigrate and seek the safety of Gobbotopia.

It's probably not the only one he's beat up. Or done worse to.

Course, the EC probably doesn't care that much about it. Most likely True Neutral.

Closak
2010-03-22, 09:31 AM
Elves have pointy ears while i don't.

This must mean that all elves are Neutral Evil.

This means that it's morally okay for me to do THIS *Casts Familicide on the Elf Commander*

*Throws the commander of the roof...again*

Asta Kask
2010-03-22, 09:49 AM
Elves have pointy ears while i don't.

This must mean that all elves are Neutral Evil.

This means that it's morally okay for me to do THIS *Casts Familicide on the Elf Commander*

*Throws the commander of the roof...again*

I sense... much anger in you.

Closak
2010-03-22, 09:54 AM
People are saying that killing the goblin was morally okay.
There are even people claiming that the Familicide was justified.

So i'm using their logic to justify doing the same thing to the elves.
If they have a problem with me genociding elves just because they are elves then that will make them into filthy hypocrites, because they are guilty of exactly the same thing.

*Stabs an elf in the face*

Optimystik
2010-03-22, 10:10 AM

If they have a problem with me genociding elves just because they are elves then that will make them into filthy hypocrites, because they are guilty of exactly the same thing.

http://i149.photobucket.com/albums/s52/Optimystic8/YSS.jpg

Closak
2010-03-22, 10:14 AM
I tend to feel like that when people argue that it is okay to threat goblins like crap yes.

*Goes Joker crazy on all elves as well as all forumites who claim that bullying the goblin race is right*

*Sets the elven lands on fire for the lulz*

salinan
2010-03-22, 10:27 AM
Methinks you should take a respite from this forum for a while, and look up the definition of 'fiction'.

Seriously. You should not have this much anger over a story or over anyone who happens to disagree with you. Especially on the internet.

Mordokai
2010-03-22, 10:29 AM
Dude, we get it, you don't like the elves. Can we drop it already? Please? It wasn't really that much fun the first hundred times, it's much less fun now.

snafu
2010-03-22, 10:51 AM

Guiltless killing it is, then. I mean, the comic leaves little doubt that the goblin isn't Good, as he seems to bluff, but come on, 6 seconds...

Detect Good != Detect Is Telling The Truth

Even if that hobgoblin happens to be one of the rare good goblins, he may still intend to betray the raiders at the first opportunity.

Kaytara
2010-03-22, 11:07 AM
Detect Good != Detect Is Telling The Truth

Even if that hobgoblin happens to be one of the rare good goblins, he may still intend to betray the raiders at the first opportunity.

May, shmay. Did the elf Commander go into an elaborate discussion with his Lieutenant about whether they could afford to trust the goblin or whether they had no choice but to slit his throat and be done with it? Was he shown weighing his options carefully? No, he's the one who tells us that none of that matters, because when he'd dealing with a goblin he doesn't need to think twice about what to do with him.

That's the way it read to me, anyway. "Screw pragmatism, I already know what to do with a goblin."

Herald Alberich
2010-03-22, 11:27 AM
Only if somebody had the spell prepared. Of course, any of the paladins could've used their detect evil spell-like ability easily enough.

Point of order: There's only one paladin in the whole city, and he's out front with Niu, not on the walls with the elven commander. The two Azurites who are on the walls were the leaders of the other two resistance groups before they merged.

doodthedud
2010-03-22, 11:40 AM

Because the same people said both things. Totally.

This is a different topic than familicide.

It's a war, you kill your enemies before they kill you, had the goblin been in the same situation, it really couldn't be held against him to kill an elf that would see him dead.

Roland St. Jude
2010-03-22, 11:41 AM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This thing that happened in the 707 comic? It should be discussed in the 707 thread where similar conversation is already underway.

Edit: Also, if people could not spam up the thread with references to lockage and such, that'd be appreciated too. It's spammy and vigilante modding.