PDA

View Full Version : World of Darkness: Innocents

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-03-21, 10:17 PM
I'm about to start a game of WoD: Innocents and was hoping to open the floor to a discussion about what is, in my opinion, the scariest White Wolf game in their many lines. I mean that sincerely. It's the only WW book where the fluff and filler kept me from sleeping.

Anyone have any reports on the game in general, or on child characters in general, or on horror in general, or on children in horror in general, or on children in general?

Semidi
2010-03-21, 11:13 PM
A few things, I've not read Innocence or run a game with the rules. However, for children characters, I'd give all of them a free Unseen Senses merit (a lot of the fluff states that children are able to see through a lot of illusions and such). Nothing is more frightening than knowing that something scary is around but not being sure what it is.

Next, I'd check out various horror media with children characters. Stephen King is the best at this (The Shining and It come to mind).

The only other thing is to be careful. Children in horror games is serious business.

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-03-22, 01:41 AM
Children in horror games is serious business.

Oh, definitely. And I'm not one for horror as a concept, so my game will be relatively (relatively, mind you) light, and probably more like Changeling than anything.

Speaking of, if you can get past the heart-wrenching sadness of Bridge to Terabithia, it practically screams Innocents Changeling. Other good source material for Innocents games, in my opinion, include Stand By Me (more Stephen King, naturally), Goonies, the Marvel series Runaways, Neil Gaiman's Coraline and The Graveyard Book, and (yes, really) Calvin and Hobbes.

Totally Guy
2010-03-22, 07:21 AM
Is this worth getting? What's in it?

It's World of Darkness about kids, not World of Darkness for Kids. Right?:smalltongue:

Golden-Esque
2010-03-22, 07:25 AM
It's World of Darkness about kids, not World of Darkness for Kids. Right?:smalltongue:

You mean you're NOT terrified of the dreaded Broccoli Golem?!?!? Blergh!

Platinum_Mongoose
2010-03-24, 10:04 AM
Is this worth getting? What's in it?

I find it's their most atmospheric book. It's its own game, you don't need the original nWoD core book, but it's compatible with all of the nWoD games. Basically, it's exactly what it says on the tin. World of Darkness, with child characters. Definitely a game that requires a large degree of player/GM cooperation. I've never actually played, but this game I'm about to start will be an interesting experiment, to say the least.

Otogi
2010-03-24, 10:23 AM

Can't it be both?