PDA

View Full Version : Lizard Men and Anthropomorphic

Zilfana
2010-03-21, 11:17 PM
I drew a lizard men while at work and when I presented it to my girlfriend she yelled "anthropomorphic" due to us making fun of people on deviantart who draw only anthropomorphic creatures.

I argued that lizardmen are not anthros and that they have been a staple in all things fantasy far before the anthro craze. I explained they are more like bi-pedal dragons, lizards, etc then anthros.

So, what do ya think. Anthro or not?

Geiger Counter
2010-03-21, 11:19 PM
If it has boobs than yes it is an anthro :smalltongue:

Serpentine
2010-03-21, 11:21 PM
Depends.

:smalltongue:

But now I've got a creature in my head and I can't remember where I know it from... I think it was a sort of tall, thin lizard-like creature, possibly with colour-changing abilities, possibly of stretchy form, and possibly quite intelligent and sensitive... Dammit, what is that from?

FoE
2010-03-21, 11:30 PM
Lizard men sort of skirt the line, but yeah, they're anthromorphised lizards. They're bipeds with similar appendages as humans, are they not?

Starfols
2010-03-21, 11:30 PM
A lizardman is an anthropomorph, no doubt about it.

'Anthropomorphic' is very different from 'furry' though. I'm thinking she meant the latter when she yelled that.

Mando Knight
2010-03-21, 11:33 PM
Is it shaped like and/or act like a humanoid? Then yes, technically, it is anthropomorphic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism). So are the Minotaur, Harpies, Cyclopes, etc. The term's literally Greek for "Human-Shaped."

Dismiss the furry fandom all you like, but don't complain when you realize that much of mythology is based off of such creatures. After all, in that case, you're the one lumping the Ancients in with people who like to blur the human/animal barrier...

Giggling Ghast
2010-03-21, 11:36 PM
Welcome to Furry Land. Population: You, Ya Freak. :smalltongue:

Oh, I'm kidding. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, I say. Who didn't have a crush on Gadget from the Rescue Rangers when he was a kid?

Starfols
2010-03-21, 11:45 PM
Who didn't have a crush on Gadget from the Rescue Rangers when he was a kid?

:smallconfused:

*googles it*

:eek:

warty goblin
2010-03-21, 11:58 PM
:smallconfused:

*googles it*

:eek:

I'll second that reaction.

Giggling Ghast
2010-03-21, 11:59 PM
My infatuation only lasted until I was about, oh, seven. It was a brief but torrid affair, complicated by the fact that Gadget was not real. :smalltongue:

I, uh, wouldn't plumb the dark corners of the internet for Gadget fan art. That way leads to madness and Things That Man Was Not Meant To Know. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheseAreThingsManWasNotMeantToKnow)

Rockphed
2010-03-22, 12:01 AM
The love affair only lasted until I was about, oh, seven. It was a brief but torrid romance. :smalltongue:

I, uh, wouldn't plumb the dark corners of the internet for Gadget fan art. That way leads to madness and Things That Man Was Not Meant To Know. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheseAreThingsManWasNotMeantToKnow)

How about women? Can they know these secrets?

Giggling Ghast
2010-03-22, 12:06 AM

I couldn't really tell you, as I no longer possess the capability for rational thought. Most days, I'm lucky if I can keep from howling at the top of my lungs in horror and wetting myself.

The real question is, if I'm currently curled up in a ball on the floor muttering profane and inconceivable secrets, then who's typing ...?

Starfols
2010-03-22, 12:15 AM
My infatuation only lasted until I was about, oh, seven. It was a brief but torrid affair, complicated by the fact that Gadget was not real. :smalltongue:
Oh, a beloved female lead, from a cherished childhood tv show. I guess I could see how that could happen. :smallwink:
The whole 'being fictional' thing is always where they get'cha. :smalltongue:

I think...I think it may be too late for that :smallsigh:

Why, google images, why?

Mando Knight
2010-03-22, 12:32 AM

They probably could, they'd just rather not. :smallwink::smalltongue:

Coidzor
2010-03-22, 12:40 AM
Welcome to Furry Land. Population: You, Ya Freak. :smalltongue:

Oh, I'm kidding. Let he who is without sin cast the first stone, I say. Who didn't have a crush on Gadget from the Rescue Rangers when he was a kid?

People with healthy sexuality.:smalltongue: They went for Miss Frizzle instead. ;)

King_of_GRiffins
2010-03-22, 04:13 PM
Is it shaped like and/or act like a humanoid? Then yes, technically, it is anthropomorphic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anthropomorphism). So are the Minotaur, Harpies, Cyclopes, etc. The term's literally Greek for "Human-Shaped."

Agreed by literal definition. Mando, you recieve one point.

If it has boobs than yes it is an anthro :smalltongue:

Now that's just silly; you're just exluding all the reptile and bird people then. :smalltongue: I think I stopped reading PvP because of an attempt to make that same distinction. It was pretty illogical. Something isn't non-anthropomorphic if it has boobs, and something isn't furry if it does, or not if it doesn't. Really irrelevent to the point of either definition. Wasn't even funny... :smallconfused:

Ravens_cry
2010-03-22, 04:23 PM
Agreed by literal definition. Mando, you recieve one point.

Now that's just silly; you're just exluding all the reptile and bird people then. :smalltongue: I think I stopped reading PvP because of an attempt to make that same distinction. It was pretty illogical. Something isn't non-anthropomorphic if it has boobs, and something isn't furry if it does, or not if it doesn't. Really irrelevent to the point of either definition. Wasn't even funny... :smallconfused:
A lot of the bird and lizard people art DOES have breasts (http://tanuke.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/1237005496danielkay_happyscalieloveday.jpg). Which, is just. . .wrong. Thankfully, not all (http://www.rhjunior.com/NT/00744.html).

WarBrute
2010-03-22, 04:50 PM
A lot of the bird and lizard people art DOES have breasts (http://tanuke.files.wordpress.com/2009/03/1237005496danielkay_happyscalieloveday.jpg).

:smalleek:
What's wrong with you?!

Ravens_cry
2010-03-22, 04:52 PM
What's wrong with you?!
Don't blame me, blame Image Search. And that was the most illustrative, yet SFW image, I could find.

WarBrute
2010-03-22, 04:56 PM
Also, yes I just released the irony that I have a Lizardman avatar... :smallsigh:

King_of_GRiffins
2010-03-22, 04:59 PM
What's wrong with you?!

I bet you just hate women who pop out of cakes :smalltongue:

I still don't understand any of the breasts arguement, other then implied sexuality. Though in both of the above examples, they get away with about the same amount of it. That, or someone has made the silly assumption that fantasy creatures ever bother to listen to the natural taxonomical features of thier alledged species.

Ravens_cry
2010-03-22, 05:10 PM
If it has mammaries, it's a mammal. That's the definition right there. The trouble for me is the other features suggest one class of being, reptile, specific types of reptile in fact, while other features, the human like mammaries, suggest quite another.
Sure, it may seem odd to be OK with a walking talking reptile, but not if it has breasts, but that's what suspension of disbelief is all about. Those little rules and allowances that we each individually set, the point where we go from 'yeah, I'll buy that for the duration of the story' and 'no, fracking, way.'
Each to their own I guess.

Eldan
2010-03-22, 05:55 PM
Anthropomorphic: human-shaped.

So it depends on where you draw the line. If you include lizardmen, with their mostly non-human skulls and faces, not entirely upright posture and tails, you might as well include squirrels.

And, I mean, pretty much all mammals have breasts. Doesn't make them anthropomorphic. (Oh, and hair is also a characteristic of mammals).

Ravens_cry
2010-03-22, 06:08 PM
Anthropomorphic: human-shaped.

So it depends on where you draw the line. If you include lizardmen, with their mostly non-human skulls and faces, not entirely upright posture and tails, you might as well include squirrels.

And, I mean, pretty much all mammals have breasts. Doesn't make them anthropomorphic. (Oh, and hair is also a characteristic of mammals).
Lizard men use tools, wear decorative items, and have opposable thumbs. Squirrels. . .don't.
As for other mammals, only humans have the big breasts when not lactating thing going, I'm pretty sure. Goggle a female chimpanzee. Yeah, they makes Pettankos look busty.

Serpentine
2010-03-22, 10:15 PM
But now I've got a creature in my head and I can't remember where I know it from... I think it was a sort of tall, thin lizard-like creature, possibly with colour-changing abilities, possibly of stretchy form, and possibly quite intelligent and sensitive... Dammit, what is that from?Pretty sure it was T'kah or whatever his name was, from Pierce's Tortall books, in case anyone cares.

I dunno... A lot of "lizardmen" are just intelligent more-bipedal lizards. Intellectually anthropomorphised, perhaps, but not really physically anthropomorphic.

Jayngfet
2010-03-22, 10:23 PM
As a general rule

Anthropomorphic: Obvious breasts or curves in female, in muscular males the muscles and bones line up better with humans than the actual animals. They walk upright like a human and never go on all fours.

Non-anthro: Curveless, no breasts and their muscles are clearly animalistic. Limb structure is only vaguely humanoid, and they could have instead of arms wings or paws or even tentacles. Mouths often struggle to speak like a human due to being shaped very differently(anthro's generally don't have this problem).

SlyGuyMcFly
2010-03-23, 05:04 AM
As Mando said, Lizardmen are anthros by definition.

Anthropomorphic: Obvious breasts or curves in female, in muscular males the muscles and bones line up better with humans than the actual animals. They walk upright like a human and never go on all fours.

Non-anthro: Curveless, no breasts and their muscles are clearly animalistic. Limb structure is only vaguely humanoid, and they could have instead of arms wings or paws or even tentacles. Mouths often struggle to speak like a human due to being shaped very differently(anthro's generally don't have this problem).

It's a tricky separation to make, because there isn't really a point at which you can say 'ok, anything less human-like than this isn't an anthro'. Digitigrade legs? Having a snout? Not having boobs if female?

Eldan
2010-03-23, 05:37 AM
So, if I took a raptor and gave him a bigger brain, longer arms and opposable thumbs, he'd be anthropomorphic?
I'd say that a lizardman can be anthro, but doesn't have to be. Yes, breasts are a good indicator and usually silly. However, this is fantasy. Lizardmen usually have a human-like society, they live in groups, care for their youngs... if they were created by a god, why shouldn't they have breasts? It can make sense in the game, even if it makes them anthros.

However, just because it's an intelligent and walks on two legs, it isn't anthro.

shadow_archmagi
2010-03-23, 05:47 AM
Anthro: man, human.

Morphic: Having a specified shape or form

Anthro-Morphic: Having human shape or form

Anthro-po-morphic: Attribution of human motivation, characteristics, or behavior to inanimate objects, animals, or natural phenomena.

Therefore the only relevant question as to "Is this anthropomorphic?" is "Did we take something that is normally less human, and make it more human?"

Therefore, drawing a frowny face on a rain cloud is anthro, because clouds do not normally have emotions or faces, and you've given it both.

Also, inb4 cloud rule 34

Weirdlet
2010-03-23, 11:54 AM
It seems to me that this is mostly about separating the 'fantasy-standard' animal people, which are, as said, fantasy standard and okay to like, from the 'furry' animal people, which are to be mocked and avoided. And in my opinion- just enjoy your animal people and don't get bogged down in trying to avoid being persecuted as a member of a disfavored group. You're not engaging in any of the mockable behaviors attributed to furry fandom, and I'm sure people would let you know if you seemed like you were getting too 'into' it.

Honestly, if we fussed about every instance of liking animal-people characters, none of us would ever watch cartoons. Sheesh.

Concrete
2010-03-26, 08:18 PM
Who the hell cares?
it's just splitting hairs.
As long as you don't draw them out of the urge to stick your *********** into************ while ******** their ********* and so forth, I see no harm in it... And I doubt that others would see any either.
And even if you do, as previously stated: Who the hell cares?

Zeful
2010-03-26, 08:38 PM
So, if I took a raptor and gave him a bigger brain, longer arms and opposable thumbs, he'd be anthropomorphic?
I'd say that a lizardman can be anthro, but doesn't have to be. Yes, breasts are a good indicator and usually silly. However, this is fantasy. Lizardmen usually have a human-like society, they live in groups, care for their youngs... if they were created by a god, why shouldn't they have breasts? It can make sense in the game, even if it makes them anthros.

However, just because it's an intelligent and walks on two legs, it isn't anthro.

For the raptor? No it wouldn't be anthropomorphic unless you gave them a human-like society and/or the human range of emotions (which if you were doing anything more than drawing a picture because you are a human and can only apply human-like characteristics to another living being).

So yeah Dragonborn (from both editions) are Anthro, because you are taking something non-human and providing human characteristics. All of D&Ds elementals are also anthro.

Railene
2011-07-20, 02:28 AM
Lizard-Man of South Carolina is back? A South Carolina couple got up to find their automobile mauled and bent earlier this year. Community legend has it the Lizard Man of SC, who apparently terrorized a teen back in 1988, has returned, and he means business. Here is the proof: Mauled car might hail the return of the Lizard Man (http://www.newsytype.com/8954-lizard-man)

Kuma Kode
2011-07-20, 06:05 AM
As has been said, Anthropomorphic ≠ Furry. A vast amount of mythological and fantasy creatures are anthropomorphized; as in, having human qualities added to something that is not human.

Treants, Elementals, Lizardmen, pretty much half the monster manual is an anthropomorphic creature (this is an exaggeration, but the point remains).

Due to furries being the designated internet punching bag, anthropomorphism has gained a derogatory connotation that simply doesn't make sense outside of furry-hate. Cartoons and mascots all utilize anthropomorphism because it generally makes the subject more appealing to humans. It is utilized to varying degrees for humor (http://badspot.us/img/Comic-Heartstrings.html) and drama.

Being anthropomorphic doesn't make it bad anymore than being "all natural" makes food healthy. The Sydney Funnel Web Spider's venom is all natural, and it can kill children in 15 minutes.

Aotrs Commander
2011-07-20, 08:14 AM
A minor point of consideration is that that, by definition, almost all Transformers are anthropomorphic (with an emphasis on "morph"...). As are most, giant robots/mecha/whathaveyou, and at their heart, virtually every alien race you ever see on television (and most in other media), as, after all, the above are largely human-shaped (anthropomorphic by definition).

Just something to think about.

(And lizard men are by their very name anthropomorphic...the whole giveaway is in the lizardMEN part, "men" being a term specifically pertaining to humans...)