PDA

View Full Version : The Coyote [3.5 PrC Revision]

Baron Corm
2010-03-22, 12:09 AM
This is an update of a PrC I made back in 2007, one of the first things I ever made, and one of my favorites. I'm changing some things around using the things I've learned since then, and offering it up for a fresh set of homebrewers to critique.

One of my goals with this class was to make it possible to not require any sort of flying spells or gear to make it in the world, relying solely on your jump. So if nothing else, please let me know how that went.

Martial characters who are especially in tune with their inner animal might find themselves following the path of the coyote. A coyote seeks to mimic the wild abandon of his animal brothers. He wishes to flow through the seas, the air, and the ground just like they can. He wishes to be free from all that would cage him. Through emulation, he achieves a form greater than the other animals separately. It is still emulation, however; he has an immense respect for animals and will defend them and their habitats with zeal.

Coyotes can come in all shades and sizes, from the typical elven protector of forests, to the orcish barbarian who uses his gifts to sow chaos. The name "coyote" comes from the legend that a coyote, when snared in a trap, will chew off its own limb rather than be contained.

The coyotes are an understandably loose-knit sect who usually only band together if the natural world is in danger. Ritual meetings are also held when a new coyote is inducted into the local tribe. Other than that, they tend to keep to themselves, each coyote finding his own unique path to freedom. For this reason, each individual coyote could draw upon different totem animals to learn his class features, though the mechanical effects remain the same.

Coyote
{table="head"]Level|BAB|Fort|Ref|Will|Special
1st|+1|+2|+2|+2|Central maxim, superior instincts -10%/+1
2nd|+2|+3|+3|+3|Lesson of the horse
3rd|+3|+3|+3|+3|Superior instincts -20%/+2
4th|+4|+4|+4|+4|Lesson of the squid
5th|+5|+4|+4|+4|Superior instincts -30%/+3
6th|+6|+5|+5|+5|Lesson of the primate
7th|+7|+5|+5|+5|Superior instincts -40%/+4
8th|+8|+6|+6|+6|Lesson of the rabbit
9th|+9|+6|+6|+6|Superior instincts -50%/+5
10th|+10|+7|+7|+7|Lesson of the cheetah[/table]

Hit Die: d8
Skill Points at Each Level: 4 + Int modifier.
Class Skills: Handle Animal, Ride, Knowledge (Nature), Tumble, Survival, Balance, Climb, Escape Artist, Jump, Swim, Sense Motive, Speak Language, Intimidate, Spot, Listen

Requirements

To qualify to become a coyote, a character must fulfill all the following criteria.

Feats: Run, Endurance, Leap of the Heavens (PHB2)
Base Attack Bonus: +6
Skills: Survival 5 ranks, Jump 5 ranks

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency

Coyotes gain no proficiency with any weapon or armor.

Central Maxim (Ex)

Though coyotes are lawless in many ways, they do have certain rules which form the core of their power and identity, even if some of those rules are just "obey no rules". Pick any one of the following three maxims to represent your character's take on the coyote class. Each maxim comes with its own benefit, but if the rule is broken, the coyote loses all of his class abilities until he atones (see Ex-Coyotes, at the bottom of the page). The maxims are intentionally left open-ended; whether or not a coyote has broken the spirit of his maxim is always up to the DM.

1. Never willfully harm or disrespect a creature with an Intelligence score of 1 or 2, except in self-defense or to gather a non-luxurious amount of food.

Following this maxim adds your Superior Instincts bonus to damage rolls, in addition to attack rolls.

2. Never knowingly obey the command of another being, unless the command coincides with your own intentions.

Following this maxim gives you the ability to reroll a failed save to resist any mind-affecting effect. You may reroll it a number of times equal to your Superior Instincts bonus. If the effect normally wouldn't offer a save, it offers you a Will save.

3. Never willingly enter any civilized, populated area for longer than a brief period of time.

Following this maxim gives you the ability to reroll a failed save or check to resist or escape anything listed under the freedom spell description. You may reroll it a number of times equal to your Superior Instincts bonus. If the effect normally wouldn't offer a save or check, it offers you a Fortitude save.

Superior Instinct (Ex)

Before learning how to soar through the skies, the first thing a coyote hones is his natural instinct. Any miss chances he is faced with are reduced by -10% (minimum 0%), and he receives a +1 insight bonus to attack rolls. The coyote continues to refine his instinct over the course of his journey, increasing the bonuses by -10%/+1 every odd level after the first.

Lesson of the Horse (Ex)

At level 2, the coyote learns his first lesson, from the swift and wild horse. Whenever he makes a charge, he can move up to 3x his base speed, instead of 2x his base speed. Once per hour, he can move 5x his base speed during a charge instead of 3x his base speed.

Lesson of the Squid (Ex)

At level 4, the coyote draws upon the power of the deep and uncatchable squid. He receives a swim speed equal to his base land speed, and gains the ability to make a charge while swimming.

Lesson of the Primate (Ex)

At level 6, the coyote learns to mimic the great leaps of his old and feral ancestors, the primates. All Jump DCs are divided by 5 for the coyote when he is making a long jump, and by 4 when he is making a high jump.

Lesson of the Rabbit (Ex)

At level 8, the coyote turns to the flighty and secluded rabbit for guidance. He gains a burrow speed equal to his base land speed, and gains the ability to make a charge while burrowing.

Lesson of the Cheetah (Ex)

At level 10, the coyote finally unlocks the power of the most majestic of freerunners, the cheetah. Whenever he makes a charge, he can move up to 5x his base speed, instead of 3x his base speed. Once per hour, he can move 10x his base speed during a charge instead of 5x his base speed.

Additionally, the coyote receives the Pounce ability. When he uses his increased charge speed, all of the attacks in his full attack are made at his highest attack bonus.

Ex-Coyotes

A coyote who fails to follow his central maxim loses all class abilities until he atones. The atonement spell must be cast by a druid of the same alignment as the coyote, often a shaman or leader figure in the coyote's tribe. The druid almost always requires a penance quest to be completed first.

Geiger Counter
2010-03-22, 12:21 AM
anyone with any brains would chose the second axiom as it's impossible to break, Yeah I was going to do that anyways, the other two are a bigger pain in than the paladin's code.

Owrtho
2010-03-22, 12:29 AM
I haven't fully read it yet, but two things stuck out to me.

The first Central Maxim doesn't quite make sense. As it is, they can't hunt. Which seems to go against trying to be more wild. I'd suggest adding a clause about it being for food along with self defense.

Also, the last Maxim. It seems far too limiting. As it is, even entering farmlands or going on a road would be violating it. It would likely work better to make it so they can't stay in it without need, rather than not enter it. After all, if they aren't civilized, why should they be unable to pass through civilized lands on the way to where they're going. Similarly, if they need to do something there (such as rescue a friend or some such), they should be able to do so without violating it (hence the thing about need, also it would allow for travel through large areas of civilized land to reach a destination).

Those are just my thoughts at least.

Owrtho

Temotei
2010-03-22, 12:34 AM
The first one is really easy to follow as well.

The third axiom, however, is kind of...restrictive. Magic items will either have to come from treasure hordes or crafting outside of the cities (elves, maybe). Then again, the benefit of it is by far the best of the three.

Burrow speeds can break a game with that much speed if the DM isn't very careful.

The capstone, honestly, kind of stinks. It's just an upgrade of the lesson of the horse class feature without any additional abilities or techniques.

I also find it odd that there's no lesson of the coyote on there, but that's just a thought.

Superior instincts is really good, but not gamebreaking. I like that.

On requirements: Why the BAB requirement? Why not just require 9 Jump and Survival ranks?

Baron Corm
2010-03-22, 12:57 AM
Changed up the maxims.

The capstone, honestly, kind of stinks. It's just an upgrade of the lesson of the horse class feature without any additional abilities or techniques.

Yeah... what this class would really love is Pounce, and it even fits well with the big cheetah cat symbol. I just think that would make the class too powerful. I added something in to give you more of an incentive to stay until 10. But keep in mind...

If your base speed is 30, horse is increasing it to 90 on a charge, and 150 on a sprint. Cheetah is increasing it to 150 on a charge, and 300 on a sprint. That is a huge difference.

I also find it odd that there's no lesson of the coyote on there, but that's just a thought.

I think the coyote represents the class as a whole, and its nature of escaping is represented in the maxims. Good thought to think about though.

On requirements: Why the BAB requirement? Why not just require 9 Jump and Survival ranks?

Because it is a decidedly martial class. The Superior Instincts class feature as well as the 1/1 BAB make it so. All the other martial classes were doing it *shrug*.

Temotei
2010-03-22, 01:12 AM
Changed up the maxims.

Yeah... what this class would really love is Pounce, and it even fits well with the big cheetah cat symbol. I just think that would make the class too powerful. I added something in to give you more of an incentive to stay until 10. But keep in mind...

If your base speed is 30, horse is increasing it to 90 on a charge, and 150 on a sprint. Cheetah is increasing it to 150 on a charge, and 300 on a sprint. That is a huge difference.

I think the coyote represents the class as a whole, and its nature of escaping is represented in the maxims. Good thought to think about though.

Because it is a decidedly martial class. The Superior Instincts class feature as well as the 1/1 BAB make it so. All the other martial classes were doing it *shrug*.

The third maxim is worded concisely, but what if the coyote falls unconscious or asleep because of transgressors? Since they willingly entered, are they still not there by their own will? Perhaps time spent unwillingly unconscious/asleep/whatever wouldn't count toward the hour limit. At the same time, I think that mechanic is a bit cumbersome. Perhaps instead of losing all their class features, they could gradually lose abilities, then their class features. For example:
{table=head]|1 hour|2 hours|3 hours|4 hours|5 hours|6 hours
Penalties|-2 Strength|Lose highest lesson|-2 Strength, lose highest-level class feature|Lose all superior instincts|-2 Strength, -2 Constitution|Lose class features[/table]
Just an idea.

I think if you just gave pounce as a 10th-level ability instead of the speed bonus from cheetah, you'd be fine. Pounce wouldn't unbalance the class. Lion totem barbarians can get pounce at 1st level, after all.

Speed isn't that great, really. What do you get from it? A good scout, a good escapee, and a good Jump modifier. In combat, it's hardly anything, since you'll generally want to stay at least fairly close to your allies (not 120 feet away). Sprinting is also generally useless, since it helps you escape, but your allies won't be able to. Bye bye, cleric. Hope you have a good time in Baator.

Why do they get Use Rope as a class skill?

I just noticed they only get d8 hit dice too. While it's not extremely low, a d10 wouldn't be terribly out of line.

Baron Corm
2010-03-22, 07:25 PM
There, I changed the maxims to be all open-ended, with the DM having to use his judgement whenever a tricky situation arises. I'm not really a fan of the gradual thing because that makes it seem like his energy is sapped by cities or something, when really the removal of his powers just represents him falling from his ideals. It's an all-or-nothing kind of thing.

I added Pounce and removed Use Rope. Rangers get it as a class skill, because ropes are useful in the wild, but I suppose that coyotes wouldn't feel very comfortable about tying things up.

I just recently came upon the feat "Cheetah's Speed" which invalidates a portion of this class... I'm thinking now about remaking it once again, into a 5-level class. It might work better that way. A lot of powerful, non-offensive stuff in a small package, kind of like warforged juggernaut.

Temotei
2010-03-22, 07:30 PM
There, I changed the maxims to be all open-ended, with the DM having to use his judgement whenever a tricky situation arises. I'm not really a fan of the gradual thing because that makes it seem like his energy is sapped by cities or something, when really the removal of his powers just represents him falling from his ideals. It's an all-or-nothing kind of thing.

I added Pounce and removed Use Rope. Rangers get it as a class skill, because ropes are useful in the wild, but I suppose that coyotes wouldn't feel very comfortable about tying things up.

I just recently came upon the feat "Cheetah's Speed" which invalidates a portion of this class... I'm thinking now about remaking it once again, into a 5-level class. It might work better that way. A lot of powerful, non-offensive stuff in a small package, kind of like warforged juggernaut.

That probably would work better. The burrow speed could be a problem, but other than lowering that speed, I'm not sure how to fix it. Even with a low speed, it's still breakable. Just be careful with that.

Use Rope doesn't fit these guys. I think that was a good choice.

I agree. I didn't even like my gradual loss rule. It was just an idea. :smallamused:

imp_fireball
2010-03-22, 07:35 PM
The coyote should get fast movement bonuses to benefit from its movement - I could see a coyote mostly just leaping everywhere - maybe the bonus should only apply when jumping? Otherwise they'll be ending their rounds mid-air a lot of the time. Perhaps they should get an advantage offense or defense wise while mid air?

It also seems to take from the barbarian - maybe give it something else to do while raging?

Temotei
2010-03-22, 07:37 PM
The coyote should get fast movement bonuses to benefit from its movement - I could see a coyote mostly just leaping everywhere - maybe the bonus should only apply when jumping? Otherwise they'll be ending their rounds mid-air a lot of the time.

It also seems to take from the barbarian - maybe give it something else to do while raging?

Where does it take from the barbarian other than in the wild aspect? No rage, no uncanny dodge, no damage reduction, no fast movement (except when charging and running)...

Fast movement wouldn't be a bad idea though.