PDA

View Full Version : In what does the '17 types' refer in 707 title???

Cattrina
2010-03-22, 05:30 AM
Does it refer to the spatula, or to elves?? :smallconfused:

Fri
2010-03-22, 05:33 AM
Elves. Elves are infamous in DnD that there are elves for everything. Sea elves, dark elves, high elves, wood elves, half elves, sun elves, and whatever elves you can think about.

Teddy
2010-03-22, 05:35 AM
Elves. Elves are infamous in DnD that there are elves for everything. Sea elves, dark elves, high elves, wood elves, half elves, sun elves, and whatever elves you can think about.

...moon elves, gray elves, space elves...

Cattrina
2010-03-22, 05:38 AM
Thanks, that one got me puzzled... you know, there are 70 different types of spatulas.... lol

Aharon
2010-03-22, 05:39 AM
let's see if we get them all togehter :smallbiggrin:
Sea elves, dark elves, high elves, wood elves, half elves, sun elves
moon elves, gray elves, space elves
aquatic elves, arctic elves, desert elves, jungle elves, fire elves, fire half-elves...

that's 16 already :smallcool:

Teddy
2010-03-22, 05:40 AM
...celestial elves, half-celestial elves, half-fiendish elves, fiendish elves...

Morithias
2010-03-22, 05:43 AM
...celestial elves, half-celestial elves, half-fiendish elves, fiendish elves...

Can't really call half-celestial and half-fiendish elves, since those templates change the creature's type to outsider.

Celestial and fiendish template doesn't though. For some reason, unless I'm mistaken.

Deca
2010-03-22, 05:45 AM
Don't forget Wild Elves.

Ancalagon
2010-03-22, 05:47 AM
My favourite kind are the Food Elves, though... yummy.

Morithias
2010-03-22, 05:47 AM
If I'm not mistaken, in savage we also have the multi-headed template, and winged template. (Although either might make monstrous humanoid, I'm not sure)

Libra morris has the Half-vampire template, which I don't think changes the type.

The Deathless template in Heroes of Horror.

Teddy
2010-03-22, 05:48 AM
Can't really call half-celestial and half-fiendish elves, since those templates change the creature's type to outsider.

Celestial and fiendish template doesn't though. For some reason, unless I'm mistaken.

Well, it's just adding templates anyway, so it shouldn't really count.

Deca
2010-03-22, 05:56 AM
There are so many elves in D&D, they should just get rid of them entirely and introduce an elf template which players can put over any creature of their choice.

Felixaar
2010-03-22, 05:58 AM
Blue Space Elves.

Curupira
2010-03-22, 06:03 AM
I, for one, prefer house-elves.

Murdim
2010-03-22, 06:23 AM
There's also winged elves, star elves, fey'ri (more or less the elven equivalent of tieflings), Santa's elves, wingless winged whiny elves (from the same game that offered us miniature giant space hamsters), several unrelated species of blue space elves, presley elves, Hylians, elflings...

Also, let's not forget to mention the various elf-buff spells like Alter Elf and Disguise Elf.

Teddy
2010-03-22, 06:24 AM
There are so many elves in D&D, they should just get rid of them entirely and introduce an elf template which players can put over any creature of their choice.

Or just call everything an "elf-something" and include a template for the lowly, dirt-crawling, deeply inferior "non-elves" who lives in the uninhabitable scraps of land that the dominating "elves-somethings" doesn't bother to conquer with their wide superiority.

Cattrina
2010-03-22, 06:27 AM
Seems like there are more than 17 types of elves....

Although, referring to spatulas might have been a bit more funny :P

Weimann
2010-03-22, 06:37 AM
Wait, there's actually space elves? :smallamused:

Morithias
2010-03-22, 06:42 AM

Two words: Spell Jammer (or is that one word?)

Ancalagon
2010-03-22, 06:50 AM
Two words: Spell Jammer (or is that one word?)

No, it's not a word - it's an abomination. ;)

Murdim
2010-03-22, 06:50 AM
If we stay in the D&D universe, Spelljammer (aka D&D IN SPACE !) has Spacefaring Elves.

Now, if we step outside of it... see it by yourself (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/OurElvesAreBetter).

Snake-Aes
2010-03-22, 06:54 AM
No, it's not a word - it's an abomination. ;)

Spelljammer backfired into awesomeness anyway. It's not fun because it's IN SPACE. It's fun ebcause it's reached new levels of weird. Kinda like a Paranoia game.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 06:58 AM
Blue Space Elves.

I see what you did there :smalltongue:

Is Spacejammer the one with the Planet which consists solely of Tarrasques?

Souhiro
2010-03-22, 07:49 AM
Is Spacejammer the one with the Planet which consists solely of Tarrasques?

You just have given me an idea about how to end a campaing.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 09:23 AM
You just have given me an idea about how to end a campaing.

Thanks, I guess :smallcool:

Gandariel
2010-03-22, 10:35 AM
Also, let's not forget to mention the various elf-buff spells like Alter Elf and Disguise Elf.

ok, that made me laugh for 15 minutes

Darius1020
2010-03-22, 10:45 AM
Don't forget Sahn'ta and Khee'bler elves...

Zanaril
2010-03-22, 10:48 AM
...Does the type still matter if they're a half elf?

So you get half-high elves, half wood-elves, half-sea elves, and so on and so forth...

And what it they're half one type and half of another? :smalleek:

Mordokai
2010-03-22, 10:53 AM
The Deathless template in Heroes of Horror.

I... can't seem to find that template in my book. Care to point out the page on which it can be found, please?

Herald Alberich
2010-03-22, 10:55 AM
Shady elves, Woodsy elves, Eager elves, Luckless and Sclemiel elves ... (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/erf0021.html)

Caerwyn
2010-03-22, 11:12 AM
When I first read the title, my thought also went to the different 'Alignments' in D&D.

Back in the early days of D&D, there were three alignments: Good, Neutral, and Evil, and IIRC this was sort of where they went with 4E (Lawful Good, Good, Unaligned, Evil, Chaotic Evil). This was changed into the ten common alignments with AD&D (2E): Lawful Good all the way through True Neutral to Chaotic Evil. With the release of the Manual of the Planes (in the 80's? I don't remember), and further expanded with the Planescape setting, the Alignment system expanded to a total of 17 (EG: Lawful Good with Neutral tendencies, etc), one "Outer Plane" for each including the Outlands/Plane of Concordant Opposition.

Thus, the 'other 17 types' might be expanded to "the only "Chaotic Good with Neutral Tendencies" is a dead [insert random species]"

I may be over thinking it (and truth be told, I may also be miscounting all the different 'ABC with XYZ tendencies' possibilities), but it [I]is ultimately a comic strip that touches upon alignment issues in the OOTSverse.

Caerwyn

Optimystik
2010-03-22, 11:18 AM
I... can't seem to find that template in my book. Care to point out the page on which it can be found, please?

Deathless is in BoED and ECS, I don't recall it being in HoH. :smallconfused:

Mordokai
2010-03-22, 11:26 AM
That would make more sense. I figured it's something like that, but considering WotC history, it wouldn't be none too weird if I actually had one version of the book and Moriathas another.

factotum
2010-03-22, 12:53 PM
Back in the early days of D&D, there were three alignments: Good, Neutral, and Evil

Actually, pretty sure the early alignments were Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic (leastways, that's what I remember from my D&D Basic Edition rulebook). They added the "Good" and "Evil" axis in Advanced D&D 1st Edition.

Asta Kask
2010-03-22, 01:23 PM
Certainly was in my books. Red box Basic Set.

Cattrina
2010-03-22, 01:40 PM
With the release of the Manual of the Planes (in the 80's? I don't remember), and further expanded with the Planescape setting, the Alignment system expanded to a total of 17

Caerwyn

So, the "17 types" is not about elves or about spatulas, it´s about ALIGNMENTS!!! That makes really really clear sense!

Caerwyn
2010-03-22, 01:46 PM
Actually, pretty sure the early alignments were Lawful, Neutral and Chaotic (leastways, that's what I remember from my D&D Basic Edition rulebook). They added the "Good" and "Evil" axis in Advanced D&D 1st Edition.

I'm afraid it was "Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic" in the early Blue/Red box. EGG based it (again, IIRC) on Morcockian fantasy. Here's the Wiki article on alignment in D&D. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)) Sorry, I misremembered in my inital post. Thanks for the catch. :)

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons they 'expanded' it in Second Edition was when people pointed out there were totally "Lawful" tyrants, and perfectly benevolent "Chaotic" people.

I've always found it interesting, if you read the old Greyhawk stuff made by Gygax, he saw "Lawful Good" as the "Highest" form of goodness, with all the alignments descending from there (and NO, I don't have examples I can give, just memory from the 70's and early 80's). Whereas the cosmology of the Manual of the Planes and later Planescape showed "Neutral Good" as being "Pure goodness, unfettered by Chaos or Order." I've always wondered if this was an unconsious bias or a deliberate design choice made by Gygax in his old writings, or by TSR once EGG was no longer in charge of the company.

But, thats a discussion for a different thread, I think. :)

Caerwyn

Dvandemon
2010-03-22, 01:49 PM
Does it refer to the spatula, or to elves?? :smallconfused:

Look at the last panel. A very strange mistake to make

Cattrina
2010-03-22, 02:11 PM
Look at the last panel. A very strange mistake to make

eehhh, mmm... not helping.... anyways Caerwyn already helped me pointing there are 17 alignments.

Kish
2010-03-22, 02:23 PM
I'm afraid it was "Lawful, Neutral, and Chaotic" in the early Blue/Red box. EGG based it (again, IIRC) on Morcockian fantasy. Here's the Wiki article on alignment in D&D. (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alignment_(Dungeons_%26_Dragons)) Sorry, I misremembered in my inital post. Thanks for the catch. :)

If I remember correctly, one of the reasons they 'expanded' it in Second Edition

First Edition AD&D, actually.

was when people pointed out there were totally "Lawful" tyrants, and perfectly benevolent "Chaotic" people.
Actually, they'd started to go against the "Lawful=Good, Chaotic=Evil" thing even in basic D&D. The Companion set had djinni who were Chaotic, and their description stated that they were good, and efreeti who were Lawful, and their description stated that they were evil. In the Immortal set, they introduced an entire alternate-world race called the diaboli, who were noted two things: for valuing chaos the same way Prime Material plane humans valued order, and for being gentler, kinder, and all-around better people than humans--partly because, though they found order-based societies abhorrent, it was very much against their culture to try to force anything on anyone.

BatRobin
2010-03-22, 02:58 PM
You guys missed Drow elves, btw. Or whatever' Zz'dtiri is.

Kobold-Bard
2010-03-22, 03:02 PM
You guys missed Drow elves, btw. Or whatever' Zz'dtiri is.

aka Dark Elves from the second post.

NothingButCake
2010-03-22, 03:39 PM
I thought the number seventeen was chosen because that is how many types of Pokémon there are.

BatRobin
2010-03-22, 03:48 PM
I thought the number seventeen was chosen because that is how many types of Pokémon there are.

That's it. That HAS TO BE IT. No joke.

There's only 9 alignments...

Draconi Redfir
2010-03-22, 03:50 PM
i kinda figured that by the "17 types" they ment "17 types of dead goblin"

Squished
Arrowed
Crushed
Thrown
Burned
Frozen
Electrocuted
Dehydrated
Drowned
Sliced
Chopped
Blown up
Imploded
Trampled
Exhausted
Diseased
Cursed

17 types!

veti
2010-03-22, 03:50 PM
Does that mean Pokemon are extra-planar creatures? That would explain a lot.

Although an individual Pokemon can have more than one type...

BatRobin
2010-03-22, 03:58 PM
Does that mean Pokemon are extra-planar creatures? That would explain a lot.

Although an individual Pokemon can have more than one type...

Yes, but there's 17 types. As in, classifications.

1. Fire
2. Water
3. Grass
4. Air
5. Rock
6. Ground
7. Normal
8. Flying
9. Dragon
10. Dark
11. Psychic
12. Fighting
13. Electric
14. Bug

And 3 more.

Teddy
2010-03-22, 03:58 PM

17 types!

You forgot "Disintegrated" and "Mutiliated".

veti
2010-03-22, 04:05 PM

1. Fire
2. Water
3. Grass
4. Air
5. Rock
6. Ground
7. Normal
8. Flying
9. Dragon
10. Dark
11. Psychic
12. Fighting
13. Electric
14. Bug
And 3 more.

15. Steel
16. Ghost
17. Poison

Heh, you can't teach me anything (http://www.serebii.net/crystal/types.shtml) about Pokemon types...

Dvandemon
2010-03-22, 06:37 PM
eehhh, mmm... not helping.... anyways Caerwyn already helped me pointing there are 17 alignments.

Eh... I prefer:
"Elves are awesome"
"That's probably why there are, like, 17 types"

Alignment is a valid argument but that may be reading into it a little much (but thats just me)...but now that I think Caer's thought, It could go both ways then i would be like "whoa Giant, that's deep and funny"

Optimystik
2010-03-22, 06:52 PM
I think the joke is Elves rather than alignments. Sure there are 17 outer planes, but there isn't a discrete alignment for each one (assuming for the moment that a discrete alignment is even possible.)

Solara
2010-03-22, 07:03 PM

I was not aware of that, but now I kind of wish we could go back to it! 90% of alignment debates would never even start. Anything more interesting than black and white, capital letter Good and Evil just can not be objectively defined in a game system, let alone on a forum without leading to so much unnecessary drama. :smallfrown:

Murdim
2010-03-22, 07:11 PM

1. Fire
2. Water
3. Grass
4. Air Ice
5. Rock
6. Ground
7. Normal
8. Flying
9. Dragon
10. Dark
11. Psychic
12. Fighting
13. Electric
14. Bug

And 3 more.

Now, if we combine this to the previous supposition... there's 17 ways gobbos can be killed by Pokemons :

1. Burned
2. Drowned
3. Emptied of their bodily fluids by life-absorbing plants
4. Frozen
5. Crushed
6. Buried alive
7. Teared apart by various natural weapons
8. Blown away
9. Pulverized by the magical breath of a big reptilian creature
10. Horribly maimed by eldritch, unholy forces
11. Head-a-sploded
12. Roundhouse-kicked
13. Electrocuted
14. Stung to death
15. Sliced by sharp metallic body parts
16. Their very soul devoured by undead spirits
17. Poisoned.

Zeta Kai
2010-03-22, 07:16 PM

I had though that it was a reference to the line "the only good goblin is a dead goblin," meaning that there are so many different types of goblinoid. Standard, hobgoblin, bugbear, bhuka, etc.

In general, it is best to ignore the title, & only read it immediately after the comic it pertains to. Doing otherwise either spoils a joke, or leads to confusion about the meaning of the title. It's one of my only qualms with the comic, which is otherwise a work of nigh-flawless art.

Harr
2010-03-22, 08:17 PM
In general, it is best to ignore the title, & only read it immediately after the comic it pertains to.

Yep indeed:

Elves are awesome.

That's Probably Why There Are, Like, 17 Types.

And there ya go.

Maximum Zersk
2010-03-22, 09:02 PM
I think you guys are forgetting Eldar.

They're their own special kind of space elf. The Magnificent Bastard Elf.

DSCrankshaw
2010-03-22, 09:08 PM
4e attempted to whittle down the number of elves, but it still has more elves than anything else: eladrin, elf, and drow. And that's if you don't count half-elves.

Occasional Sage
2010-03-22, 09:25 PM
Are there Spatula Elves? If not, I think this needs a homebrew.

DeltaEmil
2010-03-22, 10:29 PM
4e attempted to whittle down the number of elves, but it still has more elves than anything else: eladrin, elf, and drow. And that's if you don't count half-elves.One day, in D&D 314th edition, there will only be two elf-races left.
One being the elves (called real elves), and the second being humans, orks, dragons, devils, angels, goblins, chimpanzees, goats and whatever there is in the multiverse all unified as mongrel elves with stat penalties and abilities to make themselves even worse.

Dvandemon
2010-03-22, 11:52 PM
Yep indeed:

Quote:

Elves are awesome.

Quote:

That's Probably Why There Are, Like, 17 Types.

And there ya go

Exactly you're probably just thinking about it too hard :smalltongue:

derfenrirwolv
2010-03-23, 12:45 AM
I thought it was for making fog

Deca
2010-03-23, 01:50 AM
Now, if we combine this to the previous supposition... there's 17 ways gobbos can be killed by Pokemons :

1. Burned
2. Drowned
3. Emptied of their bodily fluids by life-absorbing plants
4. Frozen
5. Crushed
6. Buried alive
7. Teared apart by various natural weapons
8. Blown away
9. Pulverized by the magical breath of a big reptilian creature
10. Horribly maimed by eldritch, unholy forces
11. Head-a-sploded
12. Roundhouse-kicked
13. Electrocuted
14. Stung to death
15. Sliced by sharp metallic body parts
16. Their very soul devoured by undead spirits
17. Poisoned.

Since when do Dark Pokemon have unholy forces in their arsenal? I thought Dark was the province of 'annoying cheap-shot attacks' like Sucker Punch.

Dark unholy forces is more Psychic or Ghost.
[/nitpick]