PDA

View Full Version : (PF) Druids wildshape

Morquard
2010-03-22, 08:49 AM
Hi

With druids in pathfinder, do their armor and magic items meld into their new form as they do in 3.5 and become useless?

I did not find anything to that regard, so I'd assume all worn armor, magic items and weapons would still work, even if melded into the animal shape?

Starbuck_II
2010-03-22, 09:07 AM
Hi

With druids in pathfinder, do their armor and magic items meld into their new form as they do in 3.5 and become useless?

I did not find anything to that regard, so I'd assume all worn armor, magic items and weapons would still work, even if melded into the animal shape?

http://paizo.com/pathfinderRPG/prd/magic.html

Read till you find Polymorph school.
Constant bonus items meld but continue to provide their bonus (except armor bonuses like Bracers of armor or actual armor).

Morquard
2010-03-22, 09:18 AM
Ah thanks, I've not thought about checking there.

So jewelery and stuff keeps working, but armor and weapons don't?
Armor gets replaced by the natural armor bonus and weapons by the natural weapons (which are considered +0 I guess)

I do wonder if wildshape, at least at low levels is even still useful.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-22, 09:59 AM
You can wildshape and then get your party member to help you put barding/etc on.

If non humanoid Eidolons have magic item slots then I don't see why you should not in animal form.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-22, 01:23 PM
Though this falls under "Ask your DM" territory, I'll throw my two cents in.

By my reading, it depends on the item. Like rings and necklaces, probably would stay, sizing with you. Armor....Not so much. Consider the thought of a Bear or Tiger in Chintin armor (see Eberron). Unrealistic at best. Plus, a druid more becomes one with his bestial form, probably stripping his armor in the process.

Morquard
2010-03-22, 01:50 PM
Though this falls under "Ask your DM" territory, I'll throw my two cents in.

By my reading, it depends on the item. Like rings and necklaces, probably would stay, sizing with you. Armor....Not so much. Consider the thought of a Bear or Tiger in Chintin armor (see Eberron). Unrealistic at best. Plus, a druid more becomes one with his bestial form, probably stripping his armor in the process.
No, from the link Starbuck posted:

When you cast a polymorph spell that changes you into a creature of the animal, dragon, elemental, magical beast, plant, or vermin type, all of your gear melds into your body. Items that provide constant bonuses and do not need to be activated continue to function while melded in this way (with the exception of armor bonuses, which cease to function).
So yes, you are not a bear with armor, but the armor doesn't fall on the ground, neither are rings, belts, cloaks etc actually seen on the animal, but they keep working (unless they provide AC bonus).

You gain the natural weapons of your new form, so i guess those will be your only weapons then.

Admiral Squish
2010-03-22, 02:21 PM
Not ALL AC bonuses, just ARMOR bonuses. Ring of protection, for example, would still work.

Gnaeus
2010-03-22, 02:28 PM
So jewelery and stuff keeps working, but armor and weapons don't?
Armor gets replaced by the natural armor bonus and weapons by the natural weapons (which are considered +0 I guess)

I do wonder if wildshape, at least at low levels is even still useful.

No. It isn't. Turning into a bird and flying around for the entire adventuring day while retaining the effects of your magical gear and the ability to spellcast has no useful applications. Likewise, scent, climb, darkvision and low light vision aren't useful at all.

Eclipse
2010-03-22, 02:42 PM
Generally speaking, you only keep the stuff explicitly listed in the links provided above. However, armor or shields with the wild (http://www.d20pfsrd.com/equipment---final/magic-items/magic-armor---final#TOC-Wild) attribute will let you keep it's bonus while you are wild shaped. It's fun to have.

Draxar
2010-03-22, 03:46 PM
For weapons, I'd advise porting of necklace of natural weapons from Savage Species over; I don't think it's particularly broken, and it'd let you get enhancement and special effects on your weapons.

Morquard
2010-03-22, 08:00 PM
Not ALL AC bonuses, just ARMOR bonuses. Ring of protection, for example, would still work.
You might be right, it's somewhat open to interpretation. Amulet of Natural Armor shouldn't work though.

Any clue if Armor Check Penalties transfer over into wildshape? I'd say no, and it says nothing that it does, but it also doesn't say that it doesn't.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-22, 08:25 PM
Why wouldn't amulet of NA work? It's still an enhancement bonus to NA in PF, should stack with inherent NA.

taltamir
2010-03-22, 08:29 PM
No. It isn't. Turning into a bird and flying around for the entire adventuring day while retaining the effects of your magical gear and the ability to spellcast has no useful applications. Likewise, scent, climb, darkvision and low light vision aren't useful at all.

I think thats sarcasm.

Morquard
2010-03-22, 09:15 PM
Why wouldn't amulet of NA work? It's still an enhancement bonus to NA in PF, should stack with inherent NA.
Because it says "with the exception of armor bonuses, which cease to function" and natural armor bonus is an armor bonus.

I know that it can also mean "just the armor bonus from armor", but AC bonus from shields don't work either, do they? and they're usually called "shield bonus".
So I'd say it means "all AC bonus stops working".

Of course there could have been an errata or a clarification from a dev that I don't know about.

And yes, I figured it was sarcasm :)
Yeah Wildshape isn't useless, but it's situational now, you don't turn into the super battle machine anymore like you used to in 3.5.
So sometimes the extra stuff you gain that way is good, but I guess in most battles you could jsut stay in normal form and it wouldn't make a difference.

Ashram
2010-03-22, 09:20 PM
If you want to keep your armor when you wildshape, see if your DM will allow you to have the Beastskin enhancement from Magic Item Compendium. +2 enhancement, expend an extra usage of wildshape to have your armor stay on you when you change.

PinkysBrain
2010-03-22, 09:47 PM
Because it says "with the exception of armor bonuses
The problem is that the term is overloaded.

A natural armour bonus to armour is an armour bonus, but it's not an armour bonus in the same way the bonus from bracelets of armour (or normal armour) is an armour bonus. Some armour bonuses are more armour bonusy than others.

Personally I'd rule that only "plain" armour bonuses (and enhancements there of) don't stay active.

Any way, if you let a ring of deflection work then an amulet of natural armour should work as well. They both provide a bonus which is not a "plain" armour bonus to armour.

Draxar
2010-03-23, 06:48 AM
Because it says "with the exception of armor bonuses, which cease to function" and natural armor bonus is an armor bonus.

I know that it can also mean "just the armor bonus from armor", but AC bonus from shields don't work either, do they? and they're usually called "shield bonus".
So I'd say it means "all AC bonus stops working".

Of course there could have been an errata or a clarification from a dev that I don't know about.

My opinion would be that armour bonus ≠ AC bonus.

If they said 'with the exception of armour class bonuses', then I'd agree with you. But when it says just "with the exception of armour bonuses", and especially given that those generally represent the physical protection of the armour which, in wildshape, you're no longer wearing, it makes sense that they'd not apply when the rest do.