PDA

View Full Version : Building a Character Based on Dynasty Warrior's Cao Cao <3.5>

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-22, 12:51 PM
Yes, everyone is reading this right (at least I hope ;3). I think I've developed Cao Cao from the Dynasty Warriors Series (closer to an Epic really).

Here It Goes:

Race: Silverbrow Human (Bonus feat and Diplomacy boost. Great for Commanders)
Class: Warblade 5 (Focusing mostly on White Raven and Iron Heart)/Inspiration Marshall 5 (for the nice auras)/Dragon Lord 10 (LOTS of Auras)
Variants: Inspiration Marshall-Inspire Courage for Freedom of Movement
Feats minus Required: Dragonfire Inspiration, Insightful Reflexes, Force of Personality, Mind Over Body*
Weapons: Wrath of Heaven (+5 Valorous Speed Keen Adamantine Shortsword), +3 Valorous Guisarme with a Flag of Wei (Guidon)
Armor: Mithril Half-Plate
*: We modified the feat to make it so its PERMANENTLY Int to HP, not for only 1 Level

Any other ideas to make him more like Cao Cao?

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-22, 01:38 PM
If anyone is wondering why, out of curiosity, Cao Cao is my fave character in DW, so I thought I'd make an homage to him in my campaign, since my character died and I have D&D this weekend.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-22, 02:06 PM
anybody? I mean, I need a list of good feats and other equipment (possible upgrades and such), and possibly better class combo (no spellcasting plz)

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-03-22, 02:22 PM
Warblade with White Raven first Iron Heart second is a good start, I don't know the Dragon Lord class but, you might consider more initiator levels at least enough to get clarion call level 7 stance.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-23, 01:19 PM
Warblade with White Raven first Iron Heart second is a good start, I don't know the Dragon Lord class but, you might consider more initiator levels at least enough to get clarion call level 7 stance.

so scrap the PrC and just do 7/13 between marshall and warblade?

Tackyhillbillu
2010-03-23, 01:30 PM
Bard 1/Warblade 14.

Song of the White Raven. Fluff as just being his inspiring presence. As far as power goes, crushes the Marshall Build.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-23, 01:35 PM
Bard 1/Warblade 14.

Song of the White Raven. Fluff as just being his inspiring presence. As far as power goes, crushes the Marshall Build.

I hate bard because its not a real class. Plus, Cao Cao is not a spellcaster

Thorcrest
2010-03-23, 01:38 PM
Why not create a character based on the Historical Cao Cao? Why need to base it on the video game character at all? Not even a great game...

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-23, 01:39 PM
Why not create a character based on the Historical Cao Cao? Why need to base it on the video game character at all? Not even a great game...

One, NEVER diss Dynasty/Samurai Warriors! I actually own every one...

Two, the point is a hybrid of the two, and Cao Cao was an Intellect, not some storyteller

AtwasAwamps
2010-03-23, 03:04 PM
I'd honestly ditch Marshall as well.

The thing about White Raven is that its absolutely perfect for the idea of a fighting leader. Cao Cao was one hell of a leader, and frankly the White Raven Maneuvers cover that very well.

However, I do like the idea of dragonfire inspiration in this build, just for cool factor. Dip your one level into Inspiring Marshall..just enough to get an extra use of Bardic Music. Be warned...perform is a cross class for pretty much all of the classes you would take here and you don't get those bonus skill points from being human if you're a silverbrow.

Also, the Dynasy Warrior games are some of favorite games of all time...though mindless and more than a bit silly at times, they actually manage to get across some of the feel of being a titan amongst ants.

kentma57
2010-03-23, 06:19 PM
One, NEVER diss Dynasty/Samurai Warriors! I actually own every one...

Two, the point is a hybrid of the two, and Cao Cao was an Intellect, not some storyteller

Well if you are such a fan I am sure you can appreciate the history the series is based on. Also go watch Red Cliff (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Cliff_(film)), NOW!

raitalin
2010-03-23, 09:31 PM
I recommend:

The Sublime Marshal (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19528454/Sublime_Way_Variant_Marshal,_ala_Tempest_Stormwind )

and

Cao Cao (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cao_Cao)

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-03-24, 07:29 AM
You could go Harmonious Knight 1 (paladin varient with inspire courage instead of I think smite and lay on hands)/Warblade X with song of the White Raven maybe with a Marshal dip somewhere.

LichPrinceAlim
2010-03-24, 11:58 AM
Cao Cao more than likely would be CN than any lawful alignment, and I reiterate: BARD IS NOT A REAL CLASS

JohnnyCancer
2010-03-24, 12:37 PM
Dynasty Warriors may not be very deep, but it is sheer, blissful fun. This is pretty cool, I'm not much of a hand with the Tome of Battle so I can't comment on its mechanical effectiveness. I thought a DW-flavored campaign could be awesome, where the PCs mow down entire armies on their way to doing important things.

Ecalsneerg
2010-03-24, 12:38 PM
And yet you're suggesting Marshal in your build? At least Bard isn't a 1-level Paladin dip.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-03-24, 12:56 PM
I find your abject hatred of bards a little odd. People are suggesting you play Bard 1/Warblade X with Song of the White Raven so you'll get the awsomeness of scaling inspire courage while being one of the best mellee classes ever. Bard 1 will only give you some 0 level spells which you can ignore completely or just use on detect magic or some other effect that can be flavored as a minor sixth sense so that shouldn't blow your character concept.

Also military officer is an entirely legitimate flavor for a bard I'm sure if I needed to I could even find a cannon reference to it. Heroes of Battle has rules for gaining an advantage for your side in a mass battle by making a bardic knowledge check. The class is called bard not magical court jester.

Hand_of_Vecna
2010-03-24, 01:01 PM
And yet you're suggesting Marshal in your build? At least Bard isn't a 1-level Paladin dip.

I suggested a dip in a varient Paladin which get's inspire courage meaning Song of the White Raven gives you inspire courage equivilent to a bard of your level with a one level dip in a class that doesn't lose BAB and isn't bard since apparently that's a huge negative for the OP.

Ecalsneerg
2010-03-24, 01:13 PM
I suggested a dip in a varient Paladin which get's inspire courage meaning Song of the White Raven gives you inspire courage equivilent to a bard of your level with a one level dip in a class that doesn't lose BAB and isn't bard since apparently that's a huge negative for the OP.

No, I refer to the OP's use of Marshall despite its usual use of 1 level in a Paladin build.

raitalin
2010-03-24, 02:53 PM
Cao Cao more than likely would be CN than any lawful alignment, and I reiterate: BARD IS NOT A REAL CLASS

Wait, wait. A guy who fought for the emperor for most of his life until fighting for the throne for himself is CN? A guy with a moral code so strong that while the Emperor was helpless in his care, he refused to usurp the throne? A guy whose primary goal was to reunite China? These are not the actions of a Chaotic man. LN or LE (if you're one of the people he massacred on a revenge kick).

He was also a great poet. Doesn't get much more bard like.

Seems like you've decided what the character you're building is, and its not Cao Cao.